PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Burger Joint?

Trailer Park Casanova
09-18-2003, 06:49 PM
In Kilrtoys neighborhood, sits a excellent family run burger joint, the Munchbox.
Awsum, outstanding burgers. Great Chili.
It took an act of the community, petitions and rallys, to keep the City from doing an "emminate domain" and bulldozing the place.
Another spot I haven't been to in a while is the Bucket Burger in Glendale. It may be gone by now.
The building was shaped like a bucket, and the food was (is?) outstanding.
I had a customer near there, so I used to stop in from time to time when I was in the neighborhood. The owner, Julio, was a professional difficult guy.
The bucket Burger is (was?) a place where the burgers were cooked right in from of you, and he had a beer and wine license.
I took a date there once. No matter how you order your burger, it comes with everything, and well done.
So as you sit at the counter waiting for your order, people come in and order their burgers different ways. If they gripe that it wasn't the way they ordered it, Julio throws them out.
Great show.
I think if a Glendale resident reads this they'll back me up, and even have a bucket burger story too.
OK,, like I said, like a dumbshit, I took a date there once. We order, and Julio starts cooking our burgers.
Suddenly, he throws down the spatula, spins around and looks at me with a face like the map of Alcatraz.
Julio says: "What's a guy like you doing with a beautiful girl like this?" Looks at my date then says to her:" You can do much better".
Then, he serves us great burgers that are 8 inches tall. Really, 8" tall and very good.
Julio put a napkin over mine, says to me: "You helpless asshole", and squishes my burger to about 2" tall with both hands.
When we're done eating, Julio comes up, and with his hand, brushes all the crumbs and what I've dripped on the counter onto my lap and says: "You eat like a Pig".
OK,, I knew all this abuse was coming,, but from Julio,, it's scary but fun.
What's your favorite Burger joint?:
[ September 18, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

summerlove
09-18-2003, 06:58 PM
There was a place in Burbank, on Olive Avenue, called "Don's Place" - that was the best damn burger bar in the world! They didn't serve cocktails, only beer, wine, and burgers! My dad used to take me there when I was a kid. It burned down about 10 years ago, and that was always a stop on the map when I visited the parents. Too bad it's gone, but it sounds like the place in Glendale. 10 out of 10!
BTW, TPC, welcome back!

Kilrtoy
09-18-2003, 07:08 PM
Daglas burger
on Vanowen and winnetka, Also best fries in town
Holiday Burger
Best Pastrami Burgers in the land.......

Rod-64
09-18-2003, 07:23 PM
In Havasu.....In-and-Out
In Bullhead in the Black Bear Restaurant that serves what must be a 9" bionic mutant burger......it's a whole meal by itself. smile_sp
Here in Kingman........NO WHERE....This town couldn't serve good food to save it's life....We have a 2 Sonics but that get real old. yuk
[ September 18, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Rod-64 ]

TCHB
09-18-2003, 07:30 PM
In Havasu it is EZ Burger

ROZ
09-18-2003, 07:33 PM
George Burgers or the Yardhouse...

Mandelon
09-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Nessy burgers in Fallbrook has some great old fashioned hand made ones.
Islands and In n Out do a good job for a big chain.

Johnwithjm
09-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Gotta go with Nessy Burgers

hboldno7
09-18-2003, 08:22 PM
damn trailer park, I feel like i just watched an episode of sinfield. THE BURGER NAZI
i remain faithfull to a double double from in and out
[ September 18, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: hboldno7 ]

clownpuncher
09-18-2003, 08:40 PM
OK I gotta say ROC's Firehouse Grille in Palm Desert. Why? Well for one, I own it (is this spam eek! ) and secondly we do have some of the best burgers I've ever had. In fact, people know us for our burgers and ribs, as well as our beer and generous, read cheap for the area, cocktails. Here's a pic of our "Chief Burger"
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/536Chief_burger-med.jpg
Next time you're in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area stop by and ask for ROC. I'd be glad to buy a fellow Hot Boater a beer :D Sorry for the SPAM, but, you asked and I had to play wink
Web site should be up this weekend
Rocsfirehouse.us
It'll show some pics of our pretty servers and the whole menu ROC's Firehouse Grille (http://www.Rocsfirehouse.us)
Rocsfirehouse.us
[ September 18, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: clownpuncher ]

78Eliminator
09-18-2003, 08:43 PM
ROZ:
George Burgers or the Yardhouse... Hell yeah to George Burgers! Roz, you are just about as "North County" as you get. I always liked you buddy....

little rowe boat
09-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Either In & Out or Tommy burgers.mmmmm-mmmmm good. :D

Sangster
09-18-2003, 08:49 PM
There used to be a place on the San Francisco waterfront..Under the Bay Bridge near where Packbell park is now called "Red's"....it was on a pier..So you ate with the Seagulls & fed the fish....They were open for lunch till 5:00pm..This place was packed everyday serving hundreds of people...There menu read...
smile_sp
Burger on a bun..........................$2.50
Burger on a bun w/Beer(longneck Bud).....$2.50
Burger w/grilled onions on a bun w/Beer..$2.50
Hot dog & Beer...........................$2.50
[ September 18, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

JustMVG
09-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Hey Summer , Dons Place was some of the best burgers ever, there was another place off of Magnolia and Keystone in Blurbank called Clints, another place that is gone, and they had a 4 patty burger w all the trimmin's and fries that was out of this world, we used to go there for lunch back in the day when there were open campuses, my high school was just down the street from both Dons and Clints.
Ahh yes Dons, COLD pitchers of beer and the burgers, we'd have a burger and then get to the beer , great after a softball game.
Mike VG
[ September 18, 2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: MandMVG ]

Fat Chance
09-18-2003, 09:19 PM
For the daily burger I'd have to agree with In-n-Out...but for that special occasion, nothing beats the Apple Pan in Westwood.
My dad took me there as a kid, and I go back every year or so. A great burder, but you gotta follow it up with a slab of fresh, hot apple pie.
Really a treat.

carbonmarine
09-18-2003, 09:49 PM
caasidy's in newport beach !
Rick32

Kilrtoy
09-18-2003, 09:50 PM
McMomma's burgers
MADE WITH LOVE

Cas
09-18-2003, 10:06 PM
In/Out is good
Black Bear is good
Round Table Pizza used to make a real good burger but
Cheeseburgers in Paradise on Maui is awesome.

Backtanner
09-19-2003, 03:10 AM
I would go with Knowlwood's in Anaheim back when they were a shack with outside wood benches.
#2 vote goes to Zubies in H.B.

OGShocker
09-19-2003, 05:52 AM
Local fast food... EZ Take out in Chino
River.. Badknocks(spell)in Parker
On the road.. The Dutton Cafe in Dutton Montana. Their "Monster Burger" is pretty darn good.

HalletDave
09-19-2003, 06:01 AM
"O" Burger
Oasis Bar & Grill
Chico, Ca.
If you are ever in Chico, stop in.
Ask for Stacey the owner.
Tell him Gamer sent ya. wink

Mandelon
09-19-2003, 06:13 AM
In Pasadena there is a place on Colorado blvd, East of Rosemead called Tops Burgers. They have good big burgers and pastrami. Onion Rings...Mmmmmmmm :p Not awesome, but better than fast food joints.

FRENCHIE
09-19-2003, 06:19 AM
IT'S GOTTA BE IN-N-OUT, THAT PLACE IS THE SH#@! :D

tenchi17
09-19-2003, 06:35 AM
Why hasen't anyone menchoned the green burger place in havasu it is risht when you exit the channel away from the bridge, the havasue marine side it is a little green place kinda out of the way but we just beach our boat and walk to it the burgars are the best in the world but it might take some time to get them, the name slips me right now, maby someone can help me on that. :confused:

1stepcloser
09-19-2003, 06:45 AM
I'm gonna go with In-N-Out. They're the best.

River Lynchmob
09-19-2003, 06:57 AM
Mandelon:
In Pasadena there is a place on Colorado blvd, East of Rosemead called Tops Burgers. They have good big burgers and pastrami. Onion Rings...Mmmmmmmm :p Not awesome, but better than fast food joints. You beat me to that one Tops is the bomb. there is also another place in pasadena called pie n burger on california just east of lake

Floatin'
09-19-2003, 07:03 AM
TCHB:
In Havasu it is EZ Burger In HB it's TK Burger or The Big Daddy Burger at Hurricanes. In Dana Point it's A's Burger.

Blown 472
09-19-2003, 08:19 AM
When I lived in so cal, we used to go to Angilos, they had big ol burgers, car hops on skates, and cruise night that kicked ass.

summerlove
09-19-2003, 08:23 AM
tenchi17:
Why hasen't anyone menchoned the green burger place in havasu it is risht when you exit the channel away from the bridge, the havasue marine side it is a little green place kinda out of the way but we just beach our boat and walk to it the burgars are the best in the world but it might take some time to get them, the name slips me right now, maby someone can help me on that. :confused: Great Pull! The Sand Bar and Grill! Very good burgers...

summerlove
09-19-2003, 08:24 AM
MandMVG:
Hey Summer , Dons Place was some of the best burgers ever, there was another place off of Magnolia and Keystone in Blurbank called Clints, another place that is gone, and they had a 4 patty burger w all the trimmin's and fries that was out of this world, we used to go there for lunch back in the day when there were open campuses, my high school was just down the street from both Dons and Clints.
Ahh yes Dons, COLD pitchers of beer and the burgers, we'd have a burger and then get to the beer , great after a softball game.
Mike VG You must be a GD Indian! :mad: Go Dogs... wink

HOOTER SLED-
09-19-2003, 08:28 AM
The Hat - in Pasadena, Monterey Park, Temple City, and Alhambra. The bomb chili fries
Y-not Burgers in Torrance.
Believe it or not, Islands has some good ass burgers

NastyOne
09-19-2003, 08:30 AM
Bakers smokes In-In-Out!

09-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Val's Burgers, Kelly st. Hayward. Best burger hands down. The only place still serving burgers that ask how you want it grilled. You can still get a rare burger. They serve milkshakes in the metal mixing container with the glass like the old time soda fountains.

totenhosen
09-19-2003, 08:36 AM
HOOTER SLED-:
The Hat - in Pasadena, Monterey Park, Temple City, and Alhambra. The bomb chili fries
Also in Glendora.
I also have to second Tops Burger in Pasadena!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-19-2003, 08:43 AM
Mad Madeline's in Old Town Temecula. I think damn near anyplace that asks you how you want your burger cooked is a winner (I'm sure there are a few exceptions)
Personally, "In-n-Stay a While" is pretty good for fast food, but it's just fast food, nothin' compared to a real good, juicy burger with all the trimmin's.

dimarcobros
09-19-2003, 08:50 AM
The Boat in Pasadena on Rosemead and huntington. Best hangover burger around.
DMB

OCStoker
09-19-2003, 09:07 AM
Cas:
In/Out is good
Black Bear is good
Round Table Pizza used to make a real good burger but
Cheeseburgers in Paradise on Maui is awesome. Ditto on the Cheeseburgers in Paradise!

LakeRacer
09-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Blakes Lotaburger in New Mexico. 100% certified black angus beef...throw some green chiles on top and you're in heaven.

BADAXE
09-19-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm surprised that there's no votes for Bob's Big Boy.
There used to be a place on Wilshire near Sepulveda called The Hot Shot, great burgers. The bonus was there was a bar with pool tables next door.

summerlove
09-19-2003, 09:41 AM
BADAXE:
I'm surprised that there's no votes for Bob's Big Boy. In their heyday - the bomb! I think the Bob's on Riverside Drive in Burbank still has the drive-up open and the ladies still bring the Big boy's to the car windows. Remember their malts - too thick to drink with a straw!
I'm going out for a burger for lunch today - all this talk is making me hungry. Any good eats in So. OC?

THOR
09-19-2003, 09:44 AM
Billy Burger!!!!!

Ziggy
09-19-2003, 09:48 AM
SanDiego Co. has got to be Nessy's in Fallbrook(I'm with ya Mandolon,ROZ :cool: ) or George's Burger.
In Havasu I'd say the floating "Billy Burger" rocks. wink

mbrown2
09-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Reds in Simi, EZ Out, and Bob's Big Boy....also, like Islands Makaha Burger

Ultra5150
09-19-2003, 10:09 AM
DMB
I have to second what Dimarcobros said. Ive been going to the Boat since i was kid. You actually walk in one side of the boat to order and walk out the other side with your burger, fries and big ass beer. AWSOME

hot_diggity_dog
09-19-2003, 10:16 AM
I would have to agree with Kilrtoy, wink on the MomaBurger.
Mrs kilrtoy cooked up some for the Hot Boat guy's while Miguel was out riding his chopper. eek!
Oh ya she made us some drinks too, while we played nude Twister with the Hot Bot Girlz. wink :D
Hot (It's all about the NESSY Burger in Fallbrook wink ) Diggity Dog :cool:

River Lynchmob
09-19-2003, 10:18 AM
dimarcobros:
DMB Nice call shep totally slipped my mind...man i must need a beer.

Caribbean Jet
09-19-2003, 10:19 AM
In Vista they have a place called Chili Coast, everything there is great. Tommy Burgers is a great place too when I can get there.

NastyOne
09-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Best Burger joint = Johny's in Pomona

dimarcobros
09-19-2003, 10:21 AM
RLM - you can get a burger from the boat and that beer you need before you head out today. Not only that but you can also catch some sports if antyhing is on. I think I might have to go there for lunch today.
DMB

brianwhiteboy
09-19-2003, 10:24 AM
NJBA races at Lake Ming...Rex's burgers....pretty ****ing sexual burgers eek!
I don't know if he's still cooks up there...he's been driving a top fueler in IHBA the last few years i guess

River Lynchmob
09-19-2003, 10:27 AM
DMB ill meet you there. time?

OGShocker
09-19-2003, 10:51 AM
Oooo, ooooo I remember.... Fat burger. I had one at the LA Fair this week. eek!
[ September 19, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: OGShocker ]

summerlove
09-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Just got back from Knollwoods in Laguna Niguel - had an old fashioned with the "special sauce", cheese, and grilled onions. Fries and a lemonade, what a lunch! :D

NoCal NoBoat
09-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Off Highway 4 on your way to the Delta, check out Digger's Diner on Willow Pass Road @ Farm Bureau Road in Concord. Great for burgers & breakfast.
Parking lot (strip mall) could be a little tight if you're towing...
Sangster - Red's Java House still lives on the Embarcadero in San Francisco. New owners have gone a little "uptown" - house roasted coffee, and fries are now on the menu, but you can still get the double burger and beer or double dog and beer for around $ 3.50. Beer is still longneck Bud or nothing. Best lunch deal in town for a waterfront "table".
Cas - I used to get that burger at Round Table West Portal in S.F. The original store. Haven't had a burger like that (french roll, cheddar, sweet relish) since they franchised and threw out the grill.

gigamurph
09-19-2003, 12:19 PM
clownpuncher:
OK I gotta say ROC's Firehouse Grille in Palm Desert. Why? Well for one, I own it (is this spam eek! ) and secondly we do have some of the best burgers I've ever had. In fact, people know us for our burgers and ribs, as well as our beer and generous, read cheap for the area, cocktails. Here's a pic of our "Chief Burger"
Next time you're in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area stop by and ask for ROC. I'd be glad to buy a fellow Hot Boater a beer :D Sorry for the SPAM, but, you asked and I had to play wink
Rocsfirehouse.us
It'll show some pics of our pretty servers and the whole menu ROC's Firehouse Grille (http://www.Rocsfirehouse.us)
Rocsfirehouse.us Now ya tell me! Just spent last Friday nite and Saturday in PS and looked all over for someplace new to grab lunch! Ended up at Ruby's downtown. Not bad but for a chain burger, but I gotta go with In-n-Out. Ya know , Sizzler's burgers aren't bad either; and how could ya talk burgers w/o a props to Fuddrucker's? CP, that burger looks nasty (as in good)! We get down "the Springs" way pretty often; exactly where you at in PD? Damn the beer; will stop in just to grab a bite and say "Hey!" next time! :D
BTW, for those that have met me; you're knowin' that I think this is the best damn thread ever! :p

dimarcobros
09-19-2003, 12:59 PM
RLM - sorry man, I just got back from lunch and saw your post. Next week.
DMB

JustMVG
09-19-2003, 01:04 PM
Summertime, yup i'm GD Indian and darn proud too!!
And it seems your a Pup?! what year, me grad of '78. you know foothill championship years!!!
Remember the Bear Pit at 5 points? They had a good burger but the bbq is what brought me there.
Arthur's over on Olive at Victory was pretty good too, but like all good things in Blurbank it too is gone.
See Ya Mike VG

clownpuncher
09-19-2003, 05:13 PM
gigamurph:
clownpuncher:
Rocsfirehouse.us
Rocsfirehouse.us Now ya tell me! Just spent last Friday nite and Saturday in PS and looked all over for someplace new to grab lunch! Ended up at Ruby's downtown. Not bad but for a chain burger, but I gotta go with In-n-Out. Ya know , Sizzler's burgers aren't bad either; and how could ya talk burgers w/o a props to Fuddrucker's? CP, that burger looks nasty (as in good)! We get down "the Springs" way pretty often; exactly where you at in PD? Damn the beer; will stop in just to grab a bite and say "Hey!" next time! :D
BTW, for those that have met me; you're knowin' that I think this is the best damn thread ever! :p You came all the way out and didn't dtop bye to say hey? Wth? J/K
We're in Palm Desert on a street called "El Paseo" Just look for the little red fire truck golf cart. For those of you familiar with El Paseo (aka Rodeo Dr. of Palm Desert) don't worry. We're a totally local hangout with wooden tables and concrete floors. You won't see any linen table cloths or fine crystal here yuk Stop by next time Gigamurph and if'n you don't want the free beer that's ok, I'll drink it :D

summerlove
09-19-2003, 07:02 PM
MandMVG:
Summertime, yup i'm GD Indian and darn proud too!!
And it seems your a Pup?! what year, me grad of '78. you know foothill championship years!!!
Remember the Bear Pit at 5 points? They had a good burger but the bbq is what brought me there.
Arthur's over on Olive at Victory was pretty good too, but like all good things in Blurbank it too is gone.
See Ya Mike VG I am also class of '78, but I doidn't go to Burbank or Burroughs - my folks sent me to a private school. All my friends went to Burbank and I could see the baseball field from my front yard. My brother went there, class of 88.
Ah yes, the bear pit, remember it well. How about the Butcher Shop, and the garlic bread from the Smoke House. God, thats good eatin!

sandblasted
09-19-2003, 08:45 PM
Tommy's is the classic...In n' out is right behind them...
If you are ever in Canyon Country or Lancaster you have to try Cousin's Burgers!! They grill them and you fix them, yum yum....

imirsh1
09-20-2003, 06:22 AM
Beyrooty's in Downey when they were still open, But all time favorite now is Kings Hawaiians "The Local Place"

imirsh1
09-20-2003, 06:23 AM
Beyrooty's in Downey when they were still open, But all time favorite now is Kings Hawaiians "The Local Place" in Torrance.

nodigg
09-20-2003, 07:27 AM
Billy Burgers!
Thompson Bay
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86405

Mandelon
09-20-2003, 08:19 AM
River Lynchmob:
Mandelon:
In Pasadena there is a place on Colorado blvd, East of Rosemead called Tops Burgers. They have good big burgers and pastrami. Onion Rings...Mmmmmmmm :p Not awesome, but better than fast food joints. You beat me to that one Tops is the bomb. there is also another place in pasadena called pie n burger on california just east of lake What about BC? Burger Continental on Lake? They were good. They old arab guys would come out and pop you in the chest..."what you want eat now"? "eh, what you want?" Too Funny.

RVRGIRL
09-20-2003, 04:28 PM
My favorite new place 2 eat now is Badenochs in Parker/AZ. This is since Riverratmike and I moved out here 2 Lake Havasu.Very fresh "homemade" eating. YUMMY. I also like the Diary Queen in Havasu. Got eats as well.

raff
09-20-2003, 08:24 PM
MandMVG:
Mike VG Clints was a great burger. One more place in town
that is no longer around was the Great Grill.
There is place on the corner Victory and Lincoln
called Steves they have a good burger..
Mark (JBHS CLASS OF 83)out

Napanutt
09-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Do they have Nations down south...They're ****ing awesome...(call them a meal in a burger or something like that)...

joe
09-20-2003, 09:51 PM
Good Ol Burgers in Paso Robles

NorCal Gameshow
09-20-2003, 09:59 PM
when i was a kid, i would go to work with my dad. when i did, we would go to a place in santa monica called, "little joes" or was it "big joes" ...whatever it was called, they were some great burgers...

Sherpa
09-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Chico, Calif..
Burger Hut........ theeeeeeee best!
--sherpa