PDA

View Full Version : Hey Froggystyle....

Tom Foolery
02-10-2003, 09:01 AM
...I understand you were a Navy Seal. Did you ever spend any time on San Clemente Island? I understand there is some pretty unreal surf on the island but I've heard it may be illegal to surf there and that it is legal with restrictions on surfing there. I've heard lots of conflicting info on the place and tons of warnings (sharks, angry military, live ordances in the water, etc....) I was hoping you might have some first hand info you could share to clear up all the stuff I've heard. Thanks!

Froggystyle
02-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Geez, I just lost my whole post. OK, not so long this time.
Surf breaks right on the island. You can't anchor within 1/4 mile of it, and on the western shore a 1/4 mile off is thousands of feet deep.
Sharks, well, I have done a couple of ocean swims and been followed by "the man in the gray suit", which even though they are "only" black tips, it is spooky anyway.
Ordinance... it is there. We don't touch anything metal underwater when we do dive there. What we find we report and EOD takes care of.
I personally wouldn't consider the trip worth the risk. Surf is always better at San O, and in the event of a northern swell that will cause the east end of the island to hit... Point Loma goes off.
All in all, when we are stuck there, we make the most of it and surf when we can, dive all the time, and try to stay away from the "Salty Crab" (The islands only drinking/Navy "girl" watching establishment).

Tom Foolery
02-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I'll ever get out there, I don't think my 19' Hallett will make it there an back on a tank of gas wink .
A few years ago I saw photos of San Clemente Island breaking & I've recently found some more. It just sounded like it would be a cool adventure.
These pictures are supposedly of two lefts on the island as well as a really nice looking right.
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_America/USA_California/LA_County/birdshits/photo/birdshits2.jpg
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_America/USA_California/LA_County/pyramid_cove/photo/gregsouthside.jpg
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_America/USA_California/LA_County/terminals/photo/aemptyterminals.jpg
I've surfed San-O & Point Loma a few times & they can get good but that left in the top pic & right in the bottom would be worth the hassle & $$ of getting there if you got it good.
So it would be legal to surf it if you kept the boat 1/4 mile off shore & paddled for it?

Hotcrusader76
02-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Diddo on that! Forget the search for Surf there, there is just too much of it.
I think the finger peir there on the East side was ripped off just recently. I spoke with an old RHIB buddy who told me they are starting to moor out with the MKVs in the cove.
Sharks? Shit, I started giving them names. :D
~Ty

Froggystyle
02-10-2003, 01:29 PM
If you had someone driving a boat that idled off shore, and you were into eating rocks... then yes, it is doable. In all the years I went out there I never saw surf that looked like that. Mostly it breaks right on the beach, and the only curl you get is from the beach break heading out at light speed under the swell. Rips are heinous, surf is fast and abusive and what you can't tell from that pic is that the wave in the first pic is going nearly parallel with the shore, and is in about a foot of water likely.
The right is a southern swell across northwest harbor. You can have it...
Everyone I know who has surfed SCI has broken a board there on rocks or whatever trying to surf.
Plus, you are not supposed to be within 1/4 mile of the beach legally. Surfing would be tough to regulate, but the boat will be kicked out like it is cool. Touch shore, you can go to the pokey. They take security on that island seriously, especially since 9/11.
And whatever you do... no matter what, don't hurt a San Clemente Island kit fox. That will send you to jail too. Little ****ers are no larger than your boot and the cats out there just beat them up. Very protected species. So protected, there are people out there literally wandering around whenever you are working to make sure the little foxes or whatever plover don't get disturbed.
Enjoy!

Trash
02-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Despite the beauty, I'd stay away if it were me. There are numerous ranges where bombs (mostly inert), mines and shells are lobbed. This doesn't even include the other kinds of ordnance dropped. I've had errant boats clobber ranges on more than one occassion.

Tom Foolery
02-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Yeah, it doesn't sound like an ideal destination. Maybe if I had the opportunity to go I try it. A little skin and snapped board are worth the price if conditions are right, but I think I'll save my trip money for someplace a little more inviting. Thanks for the info guys!