PDA

View Full Version : Street legal golf cart/Rhino????

Froggystyle
03-16-2006, 04:19 PM
I realize that this should probably be over in the Cats and Tunnels section, but I will ask it here anyway...
What are the legalities concerning "street legal" golf carts/rhinos etc...
I just bought a motorhome with a garage, and want to get some sort of neighborhood vehicle to go get ice with, go out to dinner etc. What is the deal with these things in a town like Havasu or anywhere locally in San Diego area? Also thinking about the "neighborhood vehicles" (Not GEM though... thanks Lowriver ;) )
Any advice would be appreciated.

shadow
03-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Here in Havasu,I took my Rhino to the motor vehicles and they didn't even
want to look at it.I had to sign a paper stating that i knew i was supposed to have a windshield.Walked out with a plate in hand 5 minutes later.
I see them running around town here all the time with no windshield.
I don't think you will be that lucky in So Cal.

Warlockjer
03-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Arizona Rhinos can be made to be street legal. From what I hear Calif is a NO NO. Glad I moved to Havasu. We drive ours everywhere!! :) :)

OrangePicker
03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
want to look at it.I had to sign a paper stating that i knew i was supposed to have a windshield.Walked out with a plate in hand 5 minutes later.
Do you halfto be a AZ resident to regester a Rhino their?

Flying Tiger
03-16-2006, 05:10 PM
www.Boatcop.com and Alan has all the scoop on this.
Should be no problem in Ariz.
Turn Signals and a few other trinkets.

stoker
03-16-2006, 05:17 PM
I asked the CA DMV if I could make my Rhino street legal. They checked the reg numbers and said I had to follow the CS888 guidlines. It looks like I will have to add mirrors, blinkers, horn and a few other items. I called the CHP to confirm this but have not heard back from them yet.

meaniam
03-16-2006, 05:25 PM
you can drive a golf cart to and from golf course in ca within 5 miles i think. im not sure what is needed but i see them here every now and agian

Dusty Times
03-16-2006, 05:28 PM
If it is street legalled in AZ first can you then register in CA?
Not for me I live in AZ. Just thinking about you boys in CA.

Ultrafied
03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
I asked the CA DMV if I could make my Rhino street legal. They checked the reg numbers and said I had to follow the CS888 guidelines. It looks like I will have to add mirrors, blinkers, horn and a few other items. I called the CHP to confirm this but have not heard back from them yet.
Don't believe you can register the Rhino in CA for street use. Although the mirrors, turn signals, etc. can be added, it's a Off Road vehicle in emissions. Since the manufacturer didn't put it through emissions, it can only be for off road.
This is what I was told on my Ranger and my friends Rhino. Green Off Road sticker only. Good luck! :D

shadow
03-16-2006, 06:58 PM
In Az atleast this county you only need head lights,tail lights,brake lights,Lighted license plate frame for night,1/2
windshield.The only other trinkets you will need is a left arm for turn signals.

shadow
03-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Do you halfto be a AZ resident to regester a Rhino their?
Unlike a boat you would need a address to register it to.

BoatFloating
03-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Unlike a boat you would need a address to register it to.
3DO used Crazy Horse address for his.... I used my Pop's address. How ya been D?

shadow
03-16-2006, 07:10 PM
3DO used Crazy Horse address for his.... I used my Pop's address. How ya been D?
Been real good.Got everything with the boat done,Rhino's out getting rollcage & paint now and April 1st it's time for CH.How about you?Hope alls well.

BoatFloating
03-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Been real good.Got everything with the boat done,Rhino's out getting rollcage & paint now and April 1st it's time for CH.How about you?Hope alls well.
All is good. I'll call ya next week to shot the sh*t. We move into C Horse Poker Run Weekend.

Froggystyle
03-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Sooooooo. Arizona is no problem sounds like.
What about electric carts in California? Or four stroke?

Froggystyle
03-16-2006, 07:58 PM
I looked all over on the site and didn't see anything jump out at me.
You gotta link?

shadow
03-16-2006, 08:01 PM
All is good. I'll call ya next week to shot the sh*t. We move into C Horse Poker Run Weekend.
Talk to you then. :)
Wes,No problem with Golf Carts/Rhino's here.
sounds like California is gonna be another story.

Froggystyle
03-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Talk to you then. :)
Wes,No problem with Golf Carts/Rhino's here.
sounds like California is gonna be another story.
And of course that is where I really want to use it... :(

JB in so cal
03-16-2006, 08:12 PM
And of course that is where I really want to use it... :(
Maybe re-think the GEM/funky Ford thing...

Froggystyle
03-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Maybe re-think the GEM/funky Ford thing...
I have it from good authority that the only reason to buy one is if you hate your garage and want to see it go up in smoke.

JB in so cal
03-16-2006, 08:26 PM
I have it from good authority that the only reason to buy one is if you hate your garage and want to see it go up in smoke.
You could always charge it at the neighbor's house :220v: :220v: :220v:
Will an older CJ fit the trailer? How about a '71 Broco; not much bigger than a Rhino!

Froggystyle
03-16-2006, 08:54 PM
You could always charge it at the neighbor's house :220v: :220v: :220v:
Will an older CJ fit the trailer? How about a '71 Broco; not much bigger than a Rhino!
10' max length.

phxsleek
03-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I have a 2001 ezgo fully registered and insured in AZ...

djunkie
03-16-2006, 09:32 PM
:crossx: :crossx:

Ultrafied
03-16-2006, 09:38 PM
If I'm not mistaken, electric can be made street legal CA, but only on roads with a speed limit of 25mph or less. You would need all the lights, turn signals, mirrors, seat belts etc. though.
Four stroke? Doesn't matter, emissions in CA.

djunkie
03-16-2006, 09:49 PM
If I'm not mistaken, electric can be made street legal CA, but only on roads with a speed limit of 25mph or less. You would need all the lights, turn signals, mirrors, seat belts etc. though.
Four stroke? Doesn't matter, emissions in CA.
This is exactly what I was told when I got mine green stickered at the DMV.
Az. is no problem though. Need insurance though if its gonna hit the street.

TOBTEK
03-16-2006, 10:22 PM
HERES a question..... after the rhinos are street legal in AZ with the AZ lic plates. What would happend if you ran it around here in so cal? My take on it is that its street legal in one of the states, how could it be baned of the street here??????

shadow
03-17-2006, 06:01 AM
HERES a question..... after the rhinos are street legal in AZ with the AZ lic plates. What would happend if you ran it around here in so cal? My take on it is that its street legal in one of the states, how could it be baned of the street here??????
It's also legal for me to ride my Harley here with no helmet. :)
Don't think i want to chance it in California.
Pretty sure you have to obide by the laws in the state you are in not the that you came from. :)

Ultrafied
03-17-2006, 06:04 AM
I believe you only have a limited time (30 days?) to register an out of state vehicle in California. Driving a Rhino on the street would definitely catch the of LE.

GunninGopher
03-17-2006, 06:14 AM
I guarantee you that won't work. Some motorhomes are too wide to be legal in some states. Truckers can only pull triple trailers in some states. Tinted front window are only legal in some states.
You will get a ticket here in CA if you cross paths with the wrong cop.
A while back when the Sheriff was clamping down on carts at Martinez lake, a bunch of my friends got California plates on their golf carts. There was no smog or anything else to do for them, but they did all have 4 strokes (didn't know anyone with a 2 stroker). I'm planning on getting a Rhino this summer/fall, and I'll be looking into it then. If all I need is signals, windshield and other simple things, I'll do it.

shadow
03-17-2006, 06:25 AM
I guarantee you that won't work. Some motorhomes are too wide to be legal in some states. Truckers can only pull triple trailers in some states. Tinted front window are only legal in some states.
You will get a ticket here in CA if you cross paths with the wrong cop.
A while back when the Sheriff was clamping down on carts at Martinez lake, a bunch of my friends got California plates on their golf carts. There was no smog or anything else to do for them, but they did all have 4 strokes (didn't know anyone with a 2 stroker). I'm planning on getting a Rhino this summer/fall, and I'll be looking into it then. If all I need is signals, windshield and other simple things, I'll do it.
And a Cat converter & smog cert?

GunninGopher
03-17-2006, 08:11 AM
I am not aware of anyone having to do that on their yamaha golf carts back then. Has something changed?
I'm heading to the DMV today to get some plates, if the clerk isn't a dumbazz, I'll ask.

stoker
03-17-2006, 11:44 AM
I just got off the phone with the main office of the DMV. They checked my VIN# and said yes it can be made street legal. I will have to add blinkers, mirrors, windsheild and a horn. I will also have to have to get a brake and light certificate. She said I can get one of those at most smog check stations.
Anybody know where I can walk in and purchase the horn, mirrors and blinkers?

GunninGopher
03-17-2006, 12:41 PM
You could probably get everything from a golf cart shop.
Some of it elsewhere, too.
Are you doing a rhino? I think you are going to have to get it inspected at a CHP station, so you may want to work an 'in' with someone there.

ROZ
03-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Get a nice electric one and call it a day... Toby has a hookup on bigger 48v motors and speed controls for the hop-up :D

stoker
03-17-2006, 01:02 PM
You could probably get everything from a golf cart shop.
Some of it elsewhere, too.
Are you doing a rhino? I think you are going to have to get it inspected at a CHP station, so you may want to work an 'in' with someone there.
Yes a Rhino. I called the CHP also. They said they don't do the inspections, just the DMV. I just picked up some items from the auto parts store and am stating in on it right now. I will keep you posted.

GunninGopher
03-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Bitchin.
I hope to be doing this later this year.

bohica
03-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Don't forget one other thing they will require for street legal registration in CA - proof of insurance. ;)

stoker
03-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Don't forget one other thing they will require for street legal registration in CA - proof of insurance. ;)
Your such a buzz kill. :rollside: Actually I have already started that process. Just waiting for the policy.
When is Suzi going to let you get your Rhino? :rollside:
Update.... The horn is done, working on the blinkers now.

bohica
03-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Your such a buzz kill. :rollside: Actually I have already started that process. Just waiting for the policy.
When is Suzi going to let you get your Rhino? :rollside:
Update.... The horn is done, working on the blinkers now.
Dude, you little POS buggy will smoke that Rhino, and costs 1/3 of the price. I drove one out in Glamis, not for me, way to slow. Working on the wife for my 2 seater Funco to go along with the mini van. Getting closer. :D

wsuwrhr
03-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Dude, you little POS buggy will smoke that Rhino, and costs 1/3 of the price. I drove one out in Glamis, not for me, way to slow. Working on the wife for my 2 seater Funco to go along with the mini van. Getting closer. :D
Subaru?
Brian

bohica
03-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Subaru?
Brian
Yep, Gary at C&G is working on the new 6 cylinder Subie, should be runner with 17-20lbs of boost, closed deck and all the good internals. I've got a Big 5 gen 4 now with 2.5 subie, looking to get a 2 seater and let the wife have the mini van. :rollside:

lalhc
03-17-2006, 06:58 PM
I have a 4 seater GEM car registered in CA but resides in Havasu. The road legalities is that you can drive on any road 35 mph or less. I drive it all over Havasu w/no problems.

wsuwrhr
03-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Yep, Gary at C&G is working on the new 6 cylinder Subie, should be runner with 17-20lbs of boost, closed deck and all the good internals. I've got a Big 5 gen 4 now with 2.5 subie, looking to get a 2 seater and let the wife have the mini van. :rollside:
Cool
So you are using the 6 in yours?
Brian

stoker
03-18-2006, 08:02 AM
I sold that POS buggy :mad:. I mostly use the Rhino at my place in Landers. It is amazing what these things will climb. I have had a few different 4 wheel drives, but nothing can touch these things when it comes to climbing :rollside:
Update.. Horn done, blinkers done. Getting mirrors today.

GunninGopher
03-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Get a nice electric one and call it a day... Toby has a hookup on bigger 48v motors and speed controls for the hop-up :D
I need something that I can use in the desert in the winter and the river in the summer.
I wouldn't want an electric for the desert for any number of reasons. For the river it would probably work out OK.
For the river I want something that will pull the day cruiser in and out of the water. I have use a friend's 2wd Yamaha cart to pull my old bubble deck out, but it really didn't have the traction for it. We had to push and have a couple of heavy's sit on the back of the cart and bow of the boat.
A 4wd Rhino 450 or 660 will do this bigger jet no problem and kick azz in the dunes, too. If I was just getting something for the desert, I'd get a buggy. If I was just getting something for the river, I'd probably get a cart and deal with the traction issues, but I need a Rhino (or simlar) for both.
The reason for wanting to get a plate is that I'm sure I'll get hasseled some places for that being and "ATV" instead of a cart. If it is street legal, they can't have an issue. I would plan on using it at Martinez Lake(Yuma area), Emerald Cove (Parker), McIntyre (Blythe) and Hidden Shores (Yuma area). Emerald Cove and Hidden shores would certainly give me crap, but they do allow carts. MacIntyre would be no problem no matter what and Martinez lake would depend on the weekend.

stoker
04-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Just got the CA plates today. :rollside:

Havasu Cig
04-04-2006, 12:30 PM
My friend just tried to register his Rhino in Havasu this past weekend and they told him it needed a "D.O.T. Approved" windshield before they would do it. He did not say how big it has to be, just that it had to have the D.O.T. stamp on it.

Havasu Cig
04-04-2006, 12:35 PM
If you have a California Drivers License the California Vehicle Code requires all vehicles you operate in the State of California to be registered in the state. This is the reason that you have to have CA. Plates on a boat trailer even if the boat is registered in AZ. if you DL is in CA. If not and you operate it in the state you can be ticketed for a registration violation.

TOBTEK
04-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Just got the CA plates today. :rollside:
DO TELL....... what do I have to do to get CA plates?

djunkie
04-04-2006, 12:39 PM
If you have a California Drivers License the California Vehicle Code requires all vehicles you operate in the State of California to be registered in the state. This is the reason that you have to have CA. Plates on a boat trailer even if the boat is registered in AZ. if you DL is in CA. If not and you operate it in the state you can be ticketed for a registration violation.
What if you own a home in the other state? :rollside:

TOBTEK
04-04-2006, 12:42 PM
just means your a BIG BALLER! :)

djunkie
04-04-2006, 12:47 PM
just means your a BIG BALLER! :)
No, just means that I bought a home in Havasu but still live at home with my parents... LOL!!!!!!!! :crossx:

stoker
04-04-2006, 12:47 PM
All vehicles under 816cc, 2 or less cylinders are exempt from smog in CA. You will need to go to a DMV/B.A.R. for an inspection. It is not easy and required many trips to the DMV.
PM me if you want more info.

Havasu Cig
04-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Does not matter. I have a house in Havasu as well, but my DL is still in California. The law states that if you have a California DL your vehicles operated in the state must be registered there.

chub
04-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Did you put a horn on it? Blinkers? Where 'd you get your mirror? :)

jackmagic
04-04-2006, 12:59 PM
It's the easiest thing to do in AZ. All you need is a horn, rearview mirror, and a license plate light. I was in the business and sold Rhinos out here in Havasu, that's all you need to make one street legal out here, LOVE IT!!!! Ca on the other hand is completely different, you can't street legal in CA. Hope that helped.

Havasu Cig
04-04-2006, 01:02 PM
It's the easiest thing to do in AZ. All you need is a horn, rearview mirror, and a license plate light. I was in the business and sold Rhinos out here in Havasu, that's all you need to make one street legal out here, LOVE IT!!!! Ca on the other hand is completely different, you can't street legal in CA. Hope that helped.
Read my above post. They are now enforcing a windshield rule in Havasu. My friend also checked in BullHead and they told him the same thing.

stoker
04-04-2006, 01:10 PM
I did. :rollside:

stoker
04-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Did you put a horn on it? Blinkers? Where 'd you get your mirror? :)
Got the mirror at McKenzies in Placentia.

Froggystyle
04-04-2006, 02:39 PM
OK.... here is the skinny. Take it to a registration service. Trust me.
I just got mine inspected, verified and registered in California for a $40 fee and $103 out the door.
Required:
Brake lights
Turn signals
Rear view mirror
Headlights
That's it.
If you get a windshield, you can be required to put seat belts in it. There is a gray area between car and motorcycle I guess, and a golf cart is in it. If it has a windshield, you need seat belts. You also need a horn.
I am not stating facts... just my experience. She said she had done a ton of them, and that was it.
I feel like I got off lucky, but the bottom line is, go to a service that does a lot of them. McKee's in Lemon Grove does hundreds of them a year for Cottonwood Electric Car service here in El Cajon, and it is no drama at all for them.
My plate will be on here in minutes. I will take a pic for everyone with before and afters...

OGShocker
04-04-2006, 02:44 PM
We had a four stroke reg'd in Cali. After ten times of getting a smog certificate requirement letter and me telling them every time,
"IT IS A G O L F C A R T" they pulled my plate... I really don't like this State anymore. :mad:

djunkie
04-04-2006, 02:44 PM
OK.... here is the skinny. Take it to a registration service. Trust me.
I just got mine inspected, verified and registered in California for a $40 fee and $103 out the door.
Required:
Brake lights
Turn signals
Rear view mirror
Headlights
That's it.
If you get a windshield, you can be required to put seat belts in it. There is a gray area between car and motorcycle I guess, and a golf cart is in it. If it has a windshield, you need seat belts. You also need a horn.
I am not stating facts... just my experience. She said she had done a ton of them, and that was it.
I feel like I got off lucky, but the bottom line is, go to a service that does a lot of them. McKee's in Lemon Grove does hundreds of them a year for Cottonwood Electric Car service here in El Cajon, and it is no drama at all for them.
My plate will be on here in minutes. I will take a pic for everyone with before and afters...
Thats for electric carts though right? My DMV over here told me they couldn't do it cause it was gas. Guess I better try somewhere else.

chub
04-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Do you have to drag it to a DMV office?

Froggystyle
04-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Do you have to drag it to a DMV office?
I didn't. I just went to a DMV service.
Fact is, she didn't even check and see if it was gas or electric. Maybe she knew better, but she said it really wasn't as big a deal as I was making it. As long as it is a golf cart and unaltered from stock (relatively speaking) it is below the radar for a lot of motor vehicle registration laws.

WetWillie
04-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Was this a golf cart or Rhino???
Were is that picture? :)
I didn't. I just went to a DMV service.
Fact is, she didn't even check and see if it was gas or electric. Maybe she knew better, but she said it really wasn't as big a deal as I was making it. As long as it is a golf cart and unaltered from stock (relatively speaking) it is below the radar for a lot of motor vehicle registration laws.

chub
04-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Was this a golf cart or Rhino???
Were is that picture? :)
What Willie said I think we are splittin hairs here.

Froggystyle
04-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Mine is a golf cart. Electric.
Point is, they didn't even check anything. If you don't have a windshield, it is considered a neighborhood vehicle. California is bending over backwards to encourage smaller more economical transportation I guess so it is easier than you might imagine to get it liscensed.
Just my experience. I didn't get down there today before 6:00 to pick it up, so the pics will have to be tomorrow...

chub
04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Cool thanks for the input! :)