PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got $17,000,000.00 I can borrow?

ULTRA28
06-26-2003, 02:23 PM
I just got served with my first lawsuit for not having a prop guard on the boats I sell. Some lady that was partying at Havasu and got her leg cut when the driver of the boat she was getting into started the engine. I'm sure this is the first of more to come. You know you're big time when you get sued for $17 million dollars, what a joke. I guess I'll just go to selling jets only.
[ June 26, 2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: ULTRA28 ]

jus a baker
06-26-2003, 02:27 PM
you've gotta be shittin me, some people piss me off cry

al cole'holic
06-26-2003, 02:29 PM
That raises some serious questions...like how much is my back incident worth? :D I can settle for a million! ****, I would be happy enough just to know my boat still has a warranty from Cole :( .

mbrown2
06-26-2003, 02:30 PM
WTF...Is it a California suit?....if this is the way of the future, the future of boating don't sound so fun..

miller19j
06-26-2003, 02:31 PM
If crap like this keeps happening and it probably will we might see a resurgence of jets and some advancement in jet technology.
Sorry to hear about the lawsuit!

SCUBA STEVE
06-26-2003, 02:33 PM
that sucks man. :(
I am not Mr. lawyer, but would the operator be liable too? Common sense if someone is hanging around the back of the boat, dont start the boat.
On a lighter note. That is one bad ass jet boat.
Great artical in hot boat.

waterndog
06-26-2003, 02:35 PM
What a bunch of bullshit! are you the 1st mfg to be sued over something like this?

jlnorthrup122
06-26-2003, 02:54 PM
Dude Start putting warning lables on around the stern dude it will help you aout in a suit like this one. Do you guys have an insurace company that will cover that? I'm sure your agent will sugest settling out of court on this one. Well good luck with this.

LaveyJet
06-26-2003, 02:57 PM
That sucks, the only ones who win are the lawyers. :mad:

Hallett19
06-26-2003, 02:59 PM
I got some money you can borrow. Do you have a good lawyer, I got some good ones. You will get through this, no big deal.

wntitall
06-26-2003, 03:00 PM
[ June 26, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: wntitall ]

AquaBoogie
06-26-2003, 03:04 PM
I don't have 17 mil tickets for you, but I got some concrete boots you can borrow.

spectras only
06-26-2003, 03:17 PM
These are frivolous lawsuits and like northrup122 said , a simple sticker in the future will fix it for the mfg's.I've got stickers :( all over the visor of my car warning about airbags and motorcyle mfg's adapted the same idea on gastanks.The airplane mfg's will put stickers on props too and the issue will be over with .However some idiots still trying to sue the tobacco industry despite all the warnings on the packages.
[ June 26, 2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

summerlove
06-26-2003, 03:22 PM
Hey John:
That really bites. Good idea about the warning stickers - proactive! Did they also go after Mercruiser? Or just you guys? BTW, bitchen new ride!

mike37
06-26-2003, 03:24 PM
Is there such a thing as a prop guard?
And wouldn’t that be mercrurys bust they make the out drive
And I may be wrong but boating law is that the captain of the boat has sole responsibility

ROZ
06-26-2003, 03:24 PM
AquaBoogie:
I don't have 17 mil tickets for you, but I got some concrete boots you can borrow. You don't really want them back do ya? :D

=PAYED CA$H=
06-26-2003, 03:26 PM
THREE WORDS FOR HER............BROKE ASS HO....

AquaBoogie
06-26-2003, 03:30 PM
ROZ:
AquaBoogie:
I don't have 17 mil tickets for you, but I got some concrete boots you can borrow. You don't really want them back do ya? :D Naaah. She can keep them. Ooops, did I say she?

dimarcobros
06-26-2003, 03:48 PM
That just ain't right! If you are that stupid to be standing next to the prop than you deserve to get cut. Not that it is not part the driver's fault. Both should be band from the lake.

77charger
06-26-2003, 03:57 PM
that is why lawsuit attorneys belong in the bottom of the ocean.Sad part is that damn lady and her attorney will get some settlrment out of this crap

spectratoad
06-26-2003, 04:07 PM
What a f'in crock of shit! No wonder there is always room at the bottom for certain people. What a HO! burningm When will people start taking responsibility?

sandblasted
06-26-2003, 04:16 PM
ULTRA28:
I just got served with my first lawsuit for not having a prop guard on the boats I sell. Some lady that was partying at Havasu and got her leg cut when the driver of the boat she was getting into started the engine. I'm sure this is the first of more to come. You know you're big time when you get sued for $17 million dollars, what a joke. I guess I'll just go to selling jets only. Well, that would be great for us jet guys...I want a 24' deck boat with a jet! :D of course I would like it to do 70mph also :D
Regarding prop guards, the only one I've seen looks like a metal cage that attaches around the prop, looks like a round rabbit cage!
Did I mention I hate lawyers!

LHC30Victory
06-26-2003, 04:37 PM
OH GREAT! Not only does it suck for John, but think of the (ongoing) battle trying to teach your kids about taking responsibility for their actions! I'm still arguing about the McDonalds hot coffee thing. :mad:

woodster
06-26-2003, 04:39 PM
sandblasted:
ULTRA28:
I just got served with my first lawsuit for not having a prop guard on the boats I sell. Some lady that was partying at Havasu and got her leg cut when the driver of the boat she was getting into started the engine. I'm sure this is the first of more to come. You know you're big time when you get sued for $17 million dollars, what a joke. I guess I'll just go to selling jets only. Well, that would be great for us jet guys...I want a 24' deck boat with a jet! :D of course I would like it to do 70mph also :D
Regarding prop guards, the only one I've seen looks like a metal cage that attaches around the prop, looks like a round rabbit cage!
Did I mention I hate lawyers! U should check into Froggys new boat.. U may be able to do 70.

MagicMtnDan
06-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Seems like most lawyers suck. The ones that don't simply haven't learned how to...yet.
Do you know why a rattlesnake will not bite a lawyer?
Professional courtesy!
How can you tell the difference between a dead snake and a dead lawyer lying on the highway?
There are skid marks in front of the snake.
The judicial process is like a cow. The public is impaled on its horns, the government has it by the tail, and all the while the lawyers are milking it.
What do lawyers and bullfrogs have in common?
Both have a big head that consists mostly of mouth.
What happens when you cross a pig with a lawyer?
Nothing. There are some things a pig won't do.
What is the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?
One is a bottom-dwelling, garbage-eating scavenger. The other is a fish.
What is the difference between a poisonous snake and a lawyer?
You can make a pet out of the snake.
What is the difference between a vulture and a lawyer?
The vulture doesn’t get Frequent Flyer Miles.
The vulture doesn’t take its wing-tips off at night.
The vulture eventually lets go.
What’s black and brown and looks good on a lawyer?
A doberman pinscher.
What’s the difference between a cat and a lawyer?
One is an arrogant creature who will ignore you and treat you with contempt unless it can get something out of you. The other is a house pet.
What’s the difference between a lawyer and a herd of buffalo?
The lawyer charges more
What’s the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche with two lawyers riding in it?
A porcupine has pricks on the outside.
What’s the difference between a tick and a lawyer?
The tick drops off when you are dead.
What's the difference between a female lawyer and a pit bull?
Lipstick.
Why are lawyers like beavers?
They get in the mainstream and dam it up.
Why did God make snakes just before lawyers?
To practice.
Why is going to a meeting of the Bar Association like going into a bait shop?
Because of the abundance of suckers, leeches, maggots and nightcrawlers.
“Everybody in my family follows the medical profession,” said John. “They’re all lawyers.”
Did you hear about the lawyer hurt in an accident?
An ambulance stopped suddenly.
Two lawyers met at a cocktail party.
“How’s business?” asked the first.
“Rotten,” replied the other. “Yesterday, I chased an ambulance for twenty miles. When I finally caught up to it, there was already another lawyer hanging on to the bumper.”
An airliner was having engine trouble, and the pilot instructed the cabin crew to have the passengers take their seats and get prepared for an emergency landing.
A few minutes later, the pilot asked the flight attendants if everyone was buckled in and ready.
“All set back here, Captain,” came the reply, “except one lawyer who is still going around passing out business cards.”
Why is it that many lawyers have broken noses?
From chasing parked ambulances.

MJ19
06-26-2003, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry about that...I hope you win the case, because otherwise the courts would only be encouraging idiots on our waters.
Doesn't anyone look behind and around their boat before they start it! eek!
What happen to the days when boaters cared about their crew's safety...H-E-L-L-O!!!
Grrrr makes me mad that people don't take responsiblity for their own actions and that people don't need a boating license or some sort of safety course to drive one.

Kilrtoy
06-26-2003, 04:45 PM
WOW,
you need to sue the owner of that boat, the state where the water originated, the state it happened in and most of all the PARENTS WHOM BORNE THIS SHIT HEAD OF A HUMAN BEING, THAT DUMB ASS WOMAN.
What a joke.
But on a serious side,
you need to file a counter suit against her stating it has caused trouble in you business, marriage and caused phsyo trauma for the fact you had to see her injuries

Charley
06-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Thats BS JW.... like I have said before if there was a 10% penalty that could be attached to the ambulance chasers if their lawsuit was deemed frivolous it would sure start weeding out the assholes and the lawyers that coax em. :mad: :mad: anybody wanna write a bill?

78Eliminator
06-26-2003, 06:38 PM
ULTRA28:
I guess I'll just go to selling jets only. Yeah but then a ski rope wil get sucked up in the grate and some kid holding onto the other end will get sucked under the boat and drown and next thing you know, another 17,000,000.
I wonder if Larry Parker is representing this person?
Man, what a bummer. Don't go out of business dude, you make a nice product and I hope this doesn't get you down....
Oh, and this hits home because my cousin lost her leg pretty much the same way. No one sued though. My family is not like that.
[ June 26, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Phat_Kat
06-26-2003, 06:51 PM
ultra check your PM's

21rayson
06-26-2003, 07:01 PM
here's my question was she intoxitated or should i say drunk.maybe she jumped in the water when the boat was running that wouldn't be operator or equipment. just a thought.

RiverToysJas
06-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Very sorry to hear John!
Seems to me your attorney need only ask the lady what percentage of stern-driven boats are sold with prop guards, and what percentage of the boats at Lake Havasu where the boat was used have them. Lastly it seems that it's the owners responsibility to make sure his guests are safe and he should have installed the guard, and he's should be seeing a law suit too....
We as boat owners are just as at risk for this as JW is. We need to be very careful when boating with non-boaters and people we don't know. IMO!
RTJas frown
[ June 26, 2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

Havasu Hangin'
06-26-2003, 07:07 PM
ULTRA28:
I just got served with my first lawsuit for not having a prop guard on the boats I sell....Sorry to hear that John.
I see somebody figured out your true net worth...
Does she know who she's messin' with? Does she know you were on Monster Garage?

THOR
06-26-2003, 07:22 PM
JW,
Check your email.

hoolign
06-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Hey John,,The canadians are behind ya,well 16999990.00 behind ya good luck!!!

Jbb
06-26-2003, 07:55 PM
John ..I was thinkin about trading my Edge in on a new Ultra....May I sue you in advance?

C-2
06-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Dealing with your insurance appointed defense attorney…..that will also suck! That’s when you realize and see first-hand that personal injury lawsuits are a racket.

JustaGirl
06-26-2003, 08:43 PM
secondchance:
That sucks, the only ones who win are the lawyers. :mad: So True !!! In a situation like this it ends up costing the defendant alot of money just to defend himself by way of attorney's fees. And in the end the court will probably say you are excused from the law suit. But to get to that point you have spent $10,000.00. It really is a bunch of BS.

HBjet
06-26-2003, 09:26 PM
I wonder if there lawyer was with them in the boat at the time of the accident and thought! Wait a minute, I have an idea! We are all going to be rich!
Sorry to hear this John.
HBjet

MagicMtnDan
06-26-2003, 10:10 PM
That really sucks. Possibly the only thing worse would be to sell a boat to a lawyer.
I know a guy who made custom furniture for a married couple who were both lawyers. They sued the cabinet maker and ended up getting all the furniture for free (almost $100k worth) and the cabinetmaker had to pay his (own) lawyer fees.
There are many housing developments that will not sell to lawyers and the lawyers have taken them to court to fight it. No one wants to sell anything of value to lawyers because it can cost them everything if the lawyer decides to sue (it really doesn't cost a lawyer anything to sue someone himself).
You might want to check out every buyer's employment to see if they're a lawyer. I would never sell anything to a lawyer.

MASTERKENDOG
06-26-2003, 11:22 PM
What a crock of shit. Sorry to hear that. I don't think anyone said it better than kiltroy! I'm with him on this one. Good luck! :mad:

gigamurph
06-26-2003, 11:31 PM
.....and what so sad about this is it's just the tip o'the iceberg! What with more lawyers than common sense these days, it's gonna get alot tougher on alot of people in the boating as well as other fields. good luck John and hang tough; you may be the precedent that sets the table for years to come.

Rexone
06-26-2003, 11:56 PM
spectratoad:
What a f'in crock of shit! No wonder there is always room at the bottom for certain people. What a HO! burningm When will people start taking responsibility? Not until our government puts its foot down and disallows and puts stiff penelties on frivilous lawsuits and the lawyers that file them.
Oh wait, our government is made up of mostly lawyers... imagine that. :mad:
Problem is no matter how frivilous you still have to defend it. At a bare minimum it increases insurance costs. And I can tell you our insurance has more than tripled in the last 2 years with no change in that trend in sight. Just like boat insurance...it all goes right down the line and comes out of everyone's pocket every time an insurance co pays these settlements.
Good luck with this John :)

Ultracop
06-27-2003, 12:14 AM
Good luck John........my kid kicked a non-moving prop the other day. 7 stitches......how about I sue you for a happy meal??

XTRM22
06-27-2003, 06:07 AM
JETBOAT BRIAN:
John ..I was thinkin about trading my Edge in on a new Ultra....May I sue you in advance? ROFLMAO, At Brian response not Ultra 28's misfortune.
Good luck John I really hope this gets thrown out as an example of not bringing these frivolous lawsuits to court! That is one bad jet boat in ***boat this month.
Chuck :cool:

HOSS
06-27-2003, 06:43 AM
This asshole will not win. Remember that its your right as a US citizen to sue someone for any reason. Now some judges (and my lawyer is one) are pretty well lets just say ****ed up in the head and reward ludicris money to these incompetant assholes.
Remeber that morality has no place in law. Thank goodness it doesn`t. If it was illegal to be an asshole then we`d all be in jail.
Now the question is wether or not the manufacturer had any and to what level of responsibility in this particular matter. I would think not. For one reason and that being that the boat was purchased as a model that propelled itself through the water. That propulsion system is CLEARLY visible at the rear of the boat. I would not feel that something posted stating how dangerous exiting or entering the rear of the vessel is neccessary however (Ultra28, I highly advise spending a little change on stickers) a sticker would not hurt.
Now, a prop shield is considerred an accessory. Was an accessory booklet hgiven to the customer at the time of the purchase that would have let him/her know of the existence and option of installing the prop shield. Is there literature given that states the dangers of entering/exiting the rear of the boat given to the customer at time of purchase? These are things that deal with law and not morality.
Lastly, does this boat come with a swim platform at the rear of the boat? If so, then a prop shield should be installed from the manufacturer or the dealer that does the actual rigging.
If I was a dealer(and I almost was and still would like to be and am giving it somethought among many other propositions) then I would not SELL a boat without the shield. If the customer removes it then you are coverred. But install it and have it in the literature that removing bending of any sort does present a serious hazard.
Its a shame that people actually get paid for being ignorant. Even get rich! Honest hard working people must pay for accidents.
I feel that a "cap" much like the salary cap needs to be set into law to stop this ****ing bullshit from happenning. How much do you get for a hurt back. Is this persons hurt back hurting more than that persons hurt back? What determines the actual monetary value of different body parts/sections? Are angles of impact subject to various levels monetary awards? When did money ever become a pain medication? I`m sorry that little Johnny got hit by the train and died while playing on the tracks. Really I am. But shouldn`t the parent be responsible for the incident for not teaching their kid that a train packs more ass than he does and will smoke him? Is the parent getting money going to replace little Johnny? Does it help with their grevance? Ease the pain? How does it play with morality? Or the law? I feel that people need to be resposible for their own actions! burningm
I`ve never sued anyone. I`m not rich either. :mad: :mad:

Slick
06-27-2003, 07:19 AM
John, that sucks. It's more of a hinderance than anything else. I'm in a suit right now that's over a year old. I didn't read all the posts, but perhaps she sucked up some carbon monoxide that made her a little loopy. Who knows, maybe this jackass operating the boat was also stupid enough to idle it while he was beached.

NOTALENT
06-27-2003, 07:26 AM
It sucks how it seems that people can sue for anything these days. Its ridiculous!!! Did you hear about that sean penn guy trying to sue ESPN because if you rotate the letters in his last name and add an E then it says ESPN...Bullshit. SOrry to hear that Bro...later

big Doug
06-27-2003, 07:31 AM
So this means if I get drunk and wreck my car I can sue Ford, Anheuser Busch, DOT, the shop that sold the beer, and the person who sold it??????
17 million for each one

SCHWETTYBALLS
06-27-2003, 07:36 AM
LETS GANG RAPE THE BITCH?

HOSS
06-27-2003, 07:43 AM
I`m in just as long as I go first! :mad:

beached 1
06-27-2003, 07:47 AM
- Whoa, he means 6 zeros Jim.
Sorry to hear. I hate it when people sue for "Hey you should've known we'd be that stupid".

C-2
06-27-2003, 08:20 AM
If everybody is really as fed up with frivolous lawsuits as you say you are, then check out Citizens Against Lawsuit Abuse. I got involved with this grass roots group about ten years ago, back when the “grass roots” consisted of one guy who needed money for postage. Now they have chapters in most every state.
http://www.cala.com/

HOSS
06-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Just emailed them to see if there is a chapter down here. Thanks for the info.

spectras only
06-27-2003, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rexone:]Not until our government puts its foot down and disallows and puts stiff penelties on frivilous lawsuits and the lawyers that file them.
Oh wait, our government is made up of mostly lawyers... imagine that. :mad:
Good luck with this John I have a true story [you could check in the archives] that happened here in B.C . A chineese guy in his 30 some footer decided to go for a nap and let his teen boy man the ship :rolleyes: .He was wondering into the shipping lane of the b.c ferry to horseshoe bay terminal.The ferry had blasted its horn several times and somehow nailed the small vessel.Don't remember exactly who got killed ,but there was a fatality. The b.c ferry corporation is a huge one , yet they lost the suit [they call that ship the "chineese clipper" now, I know someone who works for the ferry wink ]I happened to know this lawyer very well[corporate]who represented the case .He is the most unbeatable layers of all time here and one radio broadcaster quoted once "when John speaks ,everybody listens {James Hutton said that originally]. Just like in OJ Simpsons case ,it really matters who is at the podium :( I know if I ever need a lawyer I got his ph # handy wink
[ June 27, 2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

TexasJet
06-27-2003, 08:57 AM
Big Doug, yes that is exactaly what it means. Billy Martin,exbaseball player/coach, got killed in an car accident. He was drunk and speeding. His widow sued Ford, the county that maintains the road he was killed on, and the manufacture of the guard rail he crashed thru. I read in the paper Ford settled for several million. If you read the paper you will see from time to time some ridiculous law suits that are successful. As to the prop guard,the U.S. Supreme court ruled a few months ago that the injured party can sue the boat manufacturer. I am guessing this person will win because the insurance company will settle out of court.

nmdcb
06-27-2003, 02:19 PM
i suggest you go to the attorneys office, find out what he or she drives, walk by while they are backing out and take a dive! what is good for the goose is definitely good for the gander!

HOSS
06-27-2003, 02:36 PM
Not if your dead.

eliminatedsprinter
06-27-2003, 03:14 PM
John
God luck with this. I hope you cream these people. What they are doing hurts all of us who would still like to have a little fun and adventure in our lives.

Phat_Kat
06-27-2003, 03:18 PM
SCHWETTYBALLS:
LETS GANG RAPE THE BITCH? Dead on!
Thanks for the help john and check the inbox.

VillainDave
06-28-2003, 08:09 AM
Well I'm gonna go sue Miller, Bud and Coors for getting me drunk!
This whole thing is a crock of crap, Sounds like some of the idiots on Rodeo Drive! ( ready to sue for anything! )

HOSS
06-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Just remember, an old lady orderred hot coffee and then spilled the hot coffee on her leg and got burnt. She walked away with 4 mil. That judge is and was an asshole. ITS JUDGES LIKE HIM THAT ARE THE PROBLEM. Wanna blame someone for high insurance rates? Blame judges not lawyers. Judges award this shit. :mad:
So you see my point. There is nothing written in law pertaining to limits on monetary value of injuries/pain & sufferring. Thats what we need bills for in legislation. Not wether or not to bomb Iraq but to stop the burglaries that are taking our hard earned cash! burningm

Mandelon
06-29-2003, 09:46 AM
John, you've got my sympathy. The country is out to get us business owners. The lawyers, the government and rest of the dirtbag criminals. This lawyer thinks he's got a big time opportunity here. I sure hope your insurance company fights this thing. It would set an unbelievable precedent. :mad:

572Daytona
06-29-2003, 09:58 AM
big Doug:
So this means if I get drunk and wreck my car I can sue Ford, Anheuser Busch, DOT, the shop that sold the beer, and the person who sold it??????
17 million for each one You certainly can, read the story below...oh but you need to sue for more. This legal system in this country definitely sucks. Do other contries have this problem? If not how did they solve it.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030627/ap_on_re_us/jury_award_restaurant_2