PDA

View Full Version : Radar Gun Readings

AzDon
08-15-2003, 12:45 PM
I was coming home from Parker the other day and a BLM cop came out onto the highway behind me and followed me all the way to LHC with his radar gun turned on. About halfway home, I started getting some short bursts of radar in addition to Mr. BLM's constant signal, and very soon a DPS car appeared over a hill coming toward me with his radar going also!
Got me wondering...
When two radar guns are pointed at each other, what kind of readings do the 2 officers get. They both were generating the same signal (KA I think) Anybody know?
Also, is there any laws prohibiting a private citizen from posessing and using radar?

twistedpair
08-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Not sure about your first question, you would think that they would interfere with one another. Yes, you can own radar guns, in fact they are advertised in ***boat.

Kilrtoy
08-15-2003, 04:19 PM
How do you know they were radar and how do you know they were on you. How do you know they werent LIDAR. How do you even know that they were on....

AzDon
08-15-2003, 06:12 PM
I have a very good radar detector that distinguishes between different types of radar and even detects lazer reliably. I know the two cops were shooting the same type of signals at each other and worried for a second that they would have doubled speed readings... anybody know?
[ August 16, 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: AzDon ]

HighRoller
08-15-2003, 06:21 PM
Uh oh,bad truck driver!!You know it's against the law to have a radar detector in a big truck...Report immediately to the nearest chicken house and turn yourself in!!Seriously though,the one thing I tell drivers with detectors is to put them away well before you come to a scale house because half the time the guys inside are watching you come down the ramp with binoculars to see what you're doing.(i.e. filling out a log book,putting away a detector or putting on your seatbelt.)I've never needed one because I learned it's just too damn expensive to haul ass,especially when you're the one paying for fuel and tires.Si I'll stick to the speed limit plus 5....

AzDon
08-15-2003, 06:37 PM
I was in my geo metro!

mickeyfinn
08-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Reliable at laser?...All laser detectors are reliable....at telling you that you have a ticket. Laser is light a very tight beam of light. The only way to detect it is when it is on you and then it is too late.

Kilrtoy
08-15-2003, 07:31 PM
I wish I was in the radar detection business years ago, I'D BE RICH AND LAUGHING AT ALL THE FOOLS THAT BOUGHT THEM. IT IS THE BIGGEST SCAM. ONCE THEY HAVE YOU AND YOUR LITTLE DETECTOR SAYS SO IT'S TO LATE, AS ALREADY STATED.

Havasu Hangin'
08-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Kilrtoy:
I wish I was in the radar detection business years ago, I'D BE RICH AND LAUGHING AT ALL THE FOOLS THAT BOUGHT THEM. IT IS THE BIGGEST SCAM. ONCE THEY HAVE YOU AND YOUR LITTLE DETECTOR SAYS SO IT'S TO LATE, AS ALREADY STATED. Well...my radar detector has saved me on many occasions. It let's me know miles ahead of any ka.
If you mean Laser detector...then it is a bit tougher. However, I will say that my Valentine One picked up the Seal Beach Officer's laser as he got the car in front of me the other day.
But like someone mentioned, if a cop really wants you, and he has instant-on radar or laser (and he knows how to use it), there's not much you can do about it.
It's the lazy cops who leave them on...they give me lots of warning.

HighRoller
08-15-2003, 08:01 PM
I was in my geo metro! Disregard my last post........

Kilrtoy
08-15-2003, 08:05 PM
It's the lazy cops who leave them on...they give me lots of warning.
It's the lazy ones that let you go. They are probably giving speed. It usually starts at 10 but can go as high as 20 MPH over. Depends on the cop. Those things don't work. It's just amazing that people believe in them.
I dont know how its let people know miles ahead, the best guns only shoot 6,000', thats slightly over a mile.
[ August 15, 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Kilrtoy ]

Havasu Hangin'
08-15-2003, 08:12 PM
Kilrtoy:
I wish I was in the radar detection business years ago, I'D BE RICH AND LAUGHING AT ALL THE FOOLS THAT BOUGHT THEM. IT IS THE BIGGEST SCAM. ONCE THEY HAVE YOU AND YOUR LITTLE DETECTOR SAYS SO IT'S TO LATE, AS ALREADY STATED. Kilrtoy:
It's the lazy ones that let you go. They are probably giving speed. It usually starts at 10 but can go as high as 20 MPH over. Depends on the cop. Those things don't work. It's just amazing that people believe in them.
I dont know how its let people know miles ahead, the best guns only shoot 6,000', thats slightly over a mile. So I still can't figure out if you are talking abour radar or laser?
Maybe you are talking about laser. If you think it doesn't warn you...
Let's say you see a motorcycle officer. Let's say you see him raise is laser gun, and point it at a car in front of you (you really have to aim those things). Let's say your laser detector goes off, but you see him pointing at the other car.
I'd call that detection. It worked- I slowed down.
The downside is that mine is so sensitive, the new Chevy tailights also set it off...

Kilrtoy
08-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Let's say your laser detector goes off, but you see him pointing at the other car.
You answered your own question , he wasnt pointing at you. If he was poiting at you, it did warn you that you were about to get pulled over, BUT HE ALREADY HAS YOU LOCKED IN. Press hard three copies.
Laser is specific and radar is general.

Havasu Hangin'
08-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Kilrtoy:
You answered your own question , he wasnt pointing at you. If he was poiting at you, it did warn you that you were about to get pulled over, BUT HE ALREADY HAS YOU LOCKED IN. Press hard three copies.Comedy!
Please read my post above. A motivated police officer will get you. No doubt.
But a detector picks up usage (and not necessarily on you). So it does it's job...detects...hence the name DETECTOR. It's not a jammer.
99% of the readings I get (radar, too) are not meant for me, but I slow down. When others around me don't, they get popped. I am not merely a sheep...I am informed.
So I'd say it works. Bottom line...it's saved me tickets, so it's worth every penny.
[ August 15, 2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

Kilrtoy
08-15-2003, 08:36 PM
So I'd say it works. Bottom line...it's saved me tickets, so it's worth every penny
That is why I say I wish I had been in that business years back, because people beleive that they work , I'd be rich.

Kilrtoy
08-15-2003, 08:42 PM
They did a special on road trips to vegas a little while back on the news. The CHP was explaining, how he lets people go at 85 and below, he then went on to comment that people believe that their radar saved them, he explained how it works and how he is after major violators. That goes back to the 10,15, 20 over rule. So the people drive by and go wow, that detector saved me. When in fact it didnt, you were speeding just not fast enough for the cop to pull you over. So now people go and tell stories to their friend saying the radar saved them, so their friends go and buy them and so and so and they told two friends.
Either way if you fell better about it good....

Havasu Hangin'
08-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Kilrtoy:
That is why I say I wish I had been in that business years back, because people beleive that they work , I'd be rich. A doubting Thomas, eh? Perhaps you could share with us your personal experiences with your detector? Are you using a V1 as well?
Like I said, I don't own a jammer. I am merely informed (what band, how many, signal strength, and from what direction).
Perhaps the lazy police officers are making it easy for you too? You know, the ones who don't really understand detection?

Kilrtoy
08-15-2003, 08:51 PM
There are so many differant types, that work in varing ways. Type in yahoo then go to radar or laser(LIDAR) and they will explain everything to you, except how you can beat them.
Jammers are illegal

HighRoller
08-15-2003, 08:53 PM
was in my geo metro! Why the hell do you have a detector in a car that couldn't get you a speeding ticket in a school zone?Anyways,I'm once again amazed at the lengths people will go to avoid a ticket they deserved!!Hey,I've got an idea,why not just SLOW DOWN!You don't have to argue over radar,tickets,detectors or all that.The only thing that speeding does is make you FEEL like you're saving time.In reality,you save a fraction of your total time by speeding.In return you use up your tires,brakes and engine at an increased rate not to mention using a lot more gas and paying for higher insurance rates from tickets.The biggest benefit is not dealing with the stress of looking for cops all the time.Relax,enjoy the ride and reap the benefits.This coming from someone with 800,000 miles of ticket free driving in 45 states,by the way.

Havasu Hangin'
08-15-2003, 08:55 PM
Kilrtoy:
They did a special on road trips to vegas a little while back on the news. The CHP was explaining, how he lets people go at 85 and below....On it's highest sensitivity, my V1 picks up ka up to a few miles with no obstructions. There are usually dozens of cars between me an him before we make contact.
You tell me...was he "letting me go" 3 miles away with 20 cars or so in between? I'd venture to say he was tracking the largest, fastest moving object...not me.
Another example...I was traveling on a street (Euclid) that I used to frequent to get home. Right off the freeway, my detector starts going K batty. I slow down still wondering about the K band (not used much anymore)...and everyone else continues on.
I pass a brick fence across from a school- there was a FV police officer peeking over the fence with a K gun. Everyone around me got popped (except me) by motorcycle officers down the street.
Now, when I say lazy, I mean that guy in particular. If he would have not left his gun on, I would have been much closer.
If we are graded on a curve, I will take the advantage anyday- I am merely more informed than the next guy.
[ August 16, 2003, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

Kilrtoy
08-15-2003, 09:00 PM
If we are graded on a curve, I will take the advantage anyday- I am merely more informed than the next guy.
That you are! :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Kilrtoy:
That you are!I think I just jinxed myself...you know I'm getting a radar ticket tomorrow...

HighRoller
08-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Federal DOT regulations state plainly and unequivocably that"posessing or using a radar detector in a commercial vehicle is prohibited". As far as me being a beginner,well let me just say this.I started off as a trainee 4 years ago and now own a truck and trailer and am on the cusp of having my own authority and expanding my business to a multi-truck operation.Since when do time or miles dictate how competent or knowledgeable a driver is?There are a lot of 40 year drivers out there who couldn't hold my jockstrap when it comes to handling a truck or running a business.They couldn't tell me about fuel taxes,how much their per mile cost is or what the bridge law is.It isn't how long you've been doing it,it's how dedicated you are to being the best.

kp216
08-16-2003, 02:54 AM
As far as the two radar guns being on at the same time in the police cars...
It will not affect the readings.

MagicMtnDan
08-16-2003, 05:14 AM
Kilrtoy:
I wish I was in the radar detection business years ago, I'D BE RICH AND LAUGHING AT ALL THE FOOLS THAT BOUGHT THEM. IT IS THE BIGGEST SCAM. ONCE THEY HAVE YOU AND YOUR LITTLE DETECTOR SAYS SO IT'S TO LATE, AS ALREADY STATED. No offense K but you're flat out wrong.
I've got a Valentine One ("V1") and it's about the best detector you can buy. It costs $400 but after it's saved you one time it's paid for itself (ticket and increased insurance).
And it flat out works. No question about it. It's saved me numerous times. Now if you're talking about laser, sure I know that laser is used as instant on but my detector's picked up laser warnings too so while someone else was getting targeted and tagged, I was finding out there's a cop around using his laser.
On runs up and down the 5 freeway, the CHP run with their radar (usually Ka band) on so my V1 picks them up miles before I can see them. It's like a police detector.
I have many stories of how V1s have saved me and saved friends with them. This is technology at work not some scam where someone tells someone else, etc. But I don't care if you believe that it works or not - my radar detector is in my car saving me. :D

AzDon
08-16-2003, 07:32 AM
I have a passport 8500 ($300) and I generally detect CHP one to two minutes before they are visible. On Rice Rd. where the towing/truck speed is 55 and cars are allowed 65, my main tactic is to keep cars passing me so I have some ahead at all times (if they're towing faster than me, that's even better!). I jam the brakes immediately at the first sign of radar, usually before they can see I'm a truck. Freeway? I slow immediately till I identify the hazard. I've only been hit once with lazer, and yes, he probably had me, but there were more deserving victims! I've had CHP curse me on the CB radio once or twice on Rice Rd. because I slowed before he could get a visual and lock a reading.
I have a hard time believing that detectors would be illegal in trucks if they didn't work. Radar is a game and if you can't play, then you become the "game". My detector paid for itself in the first 2 weeks I owned it and I don't care if it's illegal because even if I got a ticket for using it, it is not a moving violation and a speeding ticket is! Ticket for a radar detector? I'll explain that to any employer or insurance company: I'm merely exercising my personal right to know I'm being monitored! It doesn't directly imply that I'd ever consider speeding! And for those states that would confiscate or destroy my detector, I have a $40 unit within easy reach to show them if they insist I was using one!
BTW, It's only illegal to USE a radar detector in a big truck, not illegal to merely posess one! It's use must be proven!
[ August 16, 2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: AzDon ]

Over 18
08-16-2003, 07:47 AM
if im not mistaken laser readings are inadmissible in court anyway and a radar reading must be taken after the laser reading
i could be wrong though

AzDon
08-16-2003, 09:36 AM
From what I've seen, a lazer setup is a large sensitive instrument that is typically operated from a stationary location (on a tripod) and chase officers are employed to apprehend and write tickets. The time I was zapped, I was doing the speed limit because I had been warned of the location on the CB 25 miles before I got there!

Kilrtoy
08-16-2003, 03:37 PM
They are hand held, smaller than radar and no they cannot be detected until its too late. Laser(LIDAR) is not on until the trigger is pulled.

roostwear
08-16-2003, 05:06 PM
Highroller,
You tow at 55 in California? Didn't think so........
My detector picked up radar "scatter" at the 60 coming into Riverside last weekend. Yes, I was going over 55, but when i had a strong signal, I slowed down...... and saved myself a big headache ($$$$$).

77charger
08-16-2003, 07:06 PM
i have a basic radar detector(bell) cost me around 100 bucks but has saved me at least 2 times on the way to the river.against the chp ka band pick up about 2 miles before(weak siganl but got my attention) got stronger so i sloed sure enough it went louder there was a chp off the 10 past desert center sitting in waiting.Past safely turned the detector facing backwards 10 min later it starts again so i slow down sure enough he passes me.
Also picked up another time near blythe.As for city police radars i can only get the lazy cops who leace on laser and instant on i am toast but get to many flase signals in town.

JetBoatRich
08-16-2003, 07:13 PM
CB's help find the "SMOKEY'S" just listen to the truckers wink

Havasu Hangin'
08-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Kilrtoy:
They are hand held, smaller than radar and no they cannot be detected until its too late. Laser(LIDAR) is not on until the trigger is pulled. But what if it is detected while the trigger is pulled on someone else?
Then it's not too late, right?

AzDon
08-16-2003, 08:26 PM
The word is that lazer is a small exact beam that doesn't produce any scatter. Both times i've seen lidar used, it was a large cumbersome unit that could not be put away quickly enough for the operating officer to give chase. Detectors work best when you allow another motorist(or two) to aggressively go ahead of you as bait because not getting caught depends on the scatter from the radar shot at them, especially if instant-on is the strategy being used!

Kilrtoy
08-16-2003, 08:57 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/111talcop.jpg
That is a damn small LIDAR and it gets packed right into the side mount in less than 1 second.
As far as he gets someone else and it alerts you, true, but he is only getting one at a time so I guess that would really matter than....
As far as highway patrols around the country they use a fixed radar that shoots forward backward and sideways. If you slow down I guess it also did what it was designed to do, slow you down. AZDON, I take it you are an independent, because most people that work for companies dont worry about speed, just safety....

Kim Hanson
08-16-2003, 09:22 PM
I was at Havasu this Spring, where do you need this radar chit there? You drive a " WHAT? " Geo Metro...this is too funny!If you bought something like that for fuel economy, feel happy when you get a ticket with a Go-Cart.......( . )( . ).........Pretty good if I say so, never even swore once! :D :cool:

AzDon
08-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Lidar must be WAY pricey, because I find very few police using it! I work for a company and we are VERY safety conscious....all the more reason to be concerned about tickets! While it seems that to cops, writing tickets is a game and a job, to truckers a ticket can be a real hinderance to employability and personal auto insurance rates! It's not like it's a nominal fine that can be anonymously paid and move on. The cheapest speeding ticket in a truck is over $150 and stains your driving record for 5 years! It's a public revenue scheme that demands a steady stream of expensive tickets from officers and assures prosecution success via ineligibilty for jury trials. Take it from one who's contested lots of tickets: You can have a good case with procedural/perception lapses and even bust the cop lying on the stand and still lose a case. Occasionally, being well prepared will help you beat one. I've learned lately that a well documented case is best tried by "written declaration" because the officer is asked for his case in writing as well and maybe his recollection and writing skills suck!
Again I'll say that if I'm caught USING a radar detector, the ticket is not a moving violation and won't affect my driving record like a speeding ticket will, so the radar detector stays!
Hey Kilrtoy- are you a cop or a radar gun salesman?
[ August 16, 2003, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: AzDon ]

Havasu Hangin'
08-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Kilrtoy:
As far as highway patrols around the country they use a fixed radar that shoots forward backward and sideways. So you have personal knowledge about every highway patrol agency, and the type of equipment they use? I'm impressed.
BTW...to my knowledge, the latest in-car (fixed mount) radar systems purchased by California for CHP use can only track one direction at a time- forward or rearward facing (although it is switchable).
Kilrtoy:
If you slow down I guess it also did what it was designed to do, slow you down.What does slowing down have to do with it? I thought you said they didn't work? Are you saying they work now (because people slow down)?
As for the different systems, they are designed for enforcement of traffic laws. Like I said earlier, I am just more informed than the next guy. What I do with that information is up to me.
The funny thing is that the same engineers that designed the radar and laser systems are also designing the detection technology.
Kilrtoy...are you holding a Winchell's VIP card or something? You seem a little brainwashed...
[ August 17, 2003, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

AzDon
08-17-2003, 08:55 AM
Looks like a radar gun to me but I notice he's got his microphone close! Maybe the gun costs too much to be taken out of service while tickets are written and that's why a team of "apprehend and cite" officers are used. The reality is that this "game" is all about the revenue and has nothing to do with actual safety. That they have time to play chickenshit revenue games leads me to believe that actual crime must not be bad enough to warrant current staffing! This kind of crap is the leading cause of fear and resentment towards policemen. Regardless of how much brainwashing they attempt through programs like DARE, our kids will eventually learn the real-life lessons that policemen are adversaries, not friends!

Kilrtoy
08-17-2003, 01:56 PM
I take offense to the winchells joke,
I have a pass to the front of the line at Krispy Kreme's get it right....
our kids will eventually learn the real-life lessons that policemen are adversaries, not friends!
Yep they sure are, but wait who is breaking the law with the radar in their 18 wheeler. Oh yeah that would be you AZDON. :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Kilrtoy:
I take offense to the winchells joke,
I have a pass to the front of the line at Krispy Kreme's get it right....Well I apologize...I just wasn't sure those radar guns can be calibrated properly with Krispy Creme fingerprints all over them...I stand corrected.
In all seriousness...if you wanna grab one of your little buddies with radar and a long stretch of road...you can ride with me...I'll show you what I mean by detection (you may actually start to believe it works).

AzDon
08-17-2003, 04:29 PM
HH- All he's going to get out of it is a primer in improving his tactics....Let him think detection doesn't work....if too many of them start feeling outgunned, they might start tryin for legislation to have detectors turned into some kind of serious crime!!! These guys are under serious pressure to make truckloads of money for their jurisdictions and detection equipment that works could be a hinderance!

AzDon
08-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Kilrtoy:
our kids will eventually learn the real-life lessons that policemen are adversaries, not friends!
Yep they sure are, but wait who is breaking the law with the radar in their 18 wheeler. Oh yeah that would be you AZDON. :D Not all laws are created to benefit the safety or well being of the general public. Some are created to allow our civil rights to be set aside so that law enforcement has an easier time at generating revenue when there is no REAL crime to fight! This is why you can't have a jury trial for a traffic ticket, why you can't have a radar detector in a truck, Why you only need to be a "suspected" drug dealer to have everything you own confiscated without a hearing and why "probable cause" for search is a meaningless term for searches anymore!
Having a radar detector is NOT the same as speeding! It is another tool used in being aware of your surroundings and potential hazards in order to make fully informed choices on the highway....something that every trucking company trains drivers consistently to do.
A detector is a monitoring device only(sends no signals) and, as a result, is a personal right of every citizen. The federal ban on detector use in trucks is a "commercial" (truck nazi)law that excludes licensed operators from having any civil rights. This is a cautionary tale for private citizens. Remember when truck drivers started being asked to pee in bottles? How long did it take for this to become standard for every kind of job under the sun? Truck drivers are required to document every minute of every day on a federal form. Civil rights are something that far too few citizen are paying attention to these days and it's a shame!

AzDon
double post
[ August 17, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: AzDon ]

AzDon
triple post
[ August 17, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: AzDon ]

Wicky
08-17-2003, 05:05 PM
"It's all about the MONEY"

Wicky
08-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Like I said, "It's all about the money."
Yes, at one point in time it was created for safety, but now, it's all about the money!!!!
That is why I say I wish I had been in that business years back, because people beleive that they work , I'd be rich. [/QB]

HighRoller
08-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Having a radar detector is NOT the same as speeding! It is another tool used in being aware of your surroundings and potential hazards in order to make fully informed choices on the highway....something that every trucking company trains drivers consistently to do That has got to be the biggest load of manure I've ever heard here.Who do you think you are talking too,a bunch of snot nosed teenage school kids?You use a detector because you speed,period. It sounds as if you've ended up in court a bunch of times over various tickets which tells me all I need to know about why you have a detector.If your company was so"safety conscious"they would frown on you using a device that aids you in breaking the law undetected.You mentioned that speeding tickets harm your driving record and insurance rates,so why do it?I know all about the revenue game you speak of,but it's what we deal with being out there.I prefer to play the game a different way.If you don't give the Nazis any reason to cite you then you've turned the tables on them because YOU have the power.If you speed,run a dirty log book or don't keep your equipment up,THEY have the power.I like to think my lack of tickets in 4 years isn't luck,and I've never owned a radar detector and never would.It's MY job to drive the truck in a safe manner,not the detector!

AzDon
08-17-2003, 06:54 PM
I have been driving trucks for over 25 years, so yes, I've been written a few tickets, contested a few and beat far fewer. I have operated vans, flatbeds, and tankers extensively, mostly in the west. Most of my tickets were learning experiences from years ago before I had a radar detector. I've not had a moving violation or accident of any kind in over 5 years, not because of my radar detector, but because I drive VERY conservatively and allow more deserving candidates to get the tickets! My truck isn't even capable of exceeding the speed limit in Arizona or Nevada! I know the kind of "high rollers" you obviously have mistaken me for and some of these guys ARE dangerous!
It's my right to know that I'm being monitored and nobody's business why I want to know. Using a detector is simply that. It is NOT SPEEDING and I resent the implication. I had an L.A. county sherriff make this implication in court once after he illegally used radar on me (in my car) and I proved it...he lost!

Kilrtoy
08-17-2003, 07:11 PM
What potential hazards does a radar detector show you. Oh yeah the enemy,the adversaries, the nazi's, the man, the people who have raped and pileged you(THE COPS). It does not any way shape or form help you drive safely. Your defense is to skirt the law and break it as often as you can, PERIOD.
Also when your are suspected in any crime , they hold your shit til proven innocent or guilty, Your choice of using drug dealers is poor.
To say that cops teach DARE to kids is brainwashing. Yeah it is BRAINWASHING, IT TEACHS AND REENFORCES TO YOUNG PEOPLE THAT DRUGS ARE BAD. I HOPE THE COPS BRAINWASH THE SHIT OUT OF MY KIDS IN SCHOOL BECAUSE DRUGS ARE BAD, but then again you worry about peeing a bottle so I see why you are concerned about that subject too.

Havasu Hangin'
08-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Kilrtoy:
What potential hazards does a radar detector show you.Actually, at night, there have been several occasions that my detector alerted me to CHP presence on the side of the road (accidents usually...sometimes a traffic stop).
If I'm in the right lane, I'll move over & give them plenty of room.
Oh wait...according to HR, I'm speeding and breaking the law 24/7...so never mind.

Kilrtoy
08-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Actually, at night, there have been several occasions that my detector alerted me to CHP presence on the side of the road (accidents usually...sometimes a traffic stop).
Ok, now that is a far strech.
I know all those flashing lights and flares are hard to see at night. Good thing the noise alerts you to that visual......

al cole'holic
08-17-2003, 07:54 PM
..is kilrtoy a cop??

Havasu Hangin'
08-17-2003, 08:09 PM
Kilrtoy:
Ok, now that is a far strech.
I know all those flashing lights and flares are hard to see at night. Good thing the noise alerts you to that visual...... You asked. Police never get hit from behind? I guess they didn't see the lights and flares, either.
Nothing wrong with knowing there is an accident a few miles ahead- since I am so informed, I can choose to go another route...
al cole'holic:
..is kilrtoy a cop?? Big time.
Either that or a Radar and Laser systems salesman (that owns a big share in a Krispy Kreme franchise) who is pissed because he just learned there is no Santa Clause, and maybe the world is not flat after all...

Kilrtoy
08-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Each year thousands of motorists and big rig drivers are killed and maimed by the negligent operation of big rigs by their drivers and by trucking companies. Semi-truck drivers and the companies they work for have a duty to operate their vehicles in a safe and responsible manner. Unsafe driving, oversized loads and various other treacherous practices put the public and the truck operators in danger.
California is one of the few states that impose a slower speed limit for big rigs and commercial vehicles. If the driver of a big rig truck exceeds the speed limit of 55 mph by 15 or more mph, the odds are likely that along with the citation he will be charged with a misdemeanor. Federal crash statistics have determined that 20% of big rig accidents are due to excessive speed.
Just something I pulled off yahoo,
I just think this is a funny thread, I could give a shit less what you people due, If you only knew how fast I drive, Chatsworth to Havasu, 3 1/2 hours. But if I get a ticket , I'm a big boy and yes those tickets over a hundred go in to the thousands. Life would suck then...
You need to stop ruining my day too, No santa claus, the world is flat what next there is no tooth fairy, I'm starting to get pissed now, if there is no easter bunny i'm going to lose it....
[ August 17, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Kilrtoy ]

HighRoller
08-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Did your detector tell you the cop car was specifically code 4 and not operating a speed trap?Wow,I need to get one of those.You know I've never seen any law on the books about anybody's"right"to know if they are being monitored.What difference does it make if you're being monitored if you drive conservatively?No,I don't drive"55"because I talk with CHP officers frequently and know what they will give you as far as speed.Now,if I choose to go faster and get caught,I'll be a man,admit I did so and accept the consequences.I'm so tired of all these idiots who brag about how their lawyer got them out of tickets they deserved.Gee,I wonder why cops have a hard-on for trucks?I'm not going to be able to handle life on the road much longer because people behave so badly out there and think it's no big deal.

al cole'holic
08-17-2003, 08:32 PM
I didn't get an answer from him...?

Kilrtoy
08-17-2003, 08:41 PM
I spend my days researching shit, see if the comapny needs it and if so buy it. That is how I can play on the internet all week from work.....
Now If I was a cop or a dope dealer what difference does it make.... I like to drink beer and go boating.....Oh yeah and look at chicks that half naked or willing to get there....
and I do bring my own sand to the beach, it attracts more.....

al cole'holic
08-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Kilrtoy:
I spend my days researching shit, see if the comapny needs it and if so buy it. That is how I can play on the internet all week from work.....
Now If I was a cop or a dope dealer what difference does it make.... I like to drink beer and go boating.....Oh yeah and look at chicks that half naked or willing to get there....
and I do bring my own sand to the beach, it attracts more..... I would just seriously start rolling right now if you was a cop and worked the Devonshire Division...if you do, then you'll understand why :p

Havasu Hangin'
08-17-2003, 08:59 PM
HighRoller:
Did your detector tell you the cop car was specifically code 4 and not operating a speed trap?Wow,I need to get one of those.Never said that...it doesn' matter. Police ahead...that's all I need to know. I'm informed.
Now HR, I am beginning to think that we are all just living in your world (and we are a nuisance at that). I've noticed that the following people seem to really irritate you:
1. Those who think diffently than you.
2. Those who act differently than you.
Perhaps you would like it if everyone with an opinion different than yours, just stopped posting.
Also, perhaps those that act differntly than you should stop boating, as well. You'll have the whole river to yourself.
[ August 17, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

locogringo
08-17-2003, 09:01 PM
As far as highway patrols around the country they use a fixed radar that shoots forward backward and sideways. Sideways radar I doubt because you can't get a sideways reading from radar. ie..when you are moving perpendicular to a stationary vehicle who is trying to read you, it just is against physics to be able to register a correct reading (speaking about radar that is).
At a certain angle it again becomes possible in my understanding.
No I'm not any sort of pro but I read alot wink

HighRoller
08-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Oh boy,more bashing of truck drivers.Let's throw in some more relevant information so we get the REAL story. Each year thousands of motorists and big rig drivers are killed and maimed by the negligent operation of big rigs by their drivers and by trucking companies No statistics to back this up so I'll help.With regards to Truck/Auto incidents,the auto is at fault anywhere from 64-79% of the time.(NTSB/AAA)
Also,even though heavy truck miles have increased 37% in the last 5 years,accidents have decreased 14%.Finally,100mph and over citations(of autos)in California have tripled in the last five years.Seems trucks aren't as dangerous as cars to me.In addition,split speed limits cause more accidents than they prevent,as shown by the fact that Arizona and New Mexico have better highway accident stats than California.Both of those states have 75mph limits for cars and trucks.I'm glad to see Yahoo took the easy way out instead of getting both sides of the story.

Kilrtoy
08-17-2003, 09:19 PM
I live in devonshire, but i have know idea what you are talking about.
That little blurb I posted was geared to COMMIE DON. The reason the stats are lower is less vehicles on the road. Im sure there are more cars registered in san deigo county than those two states combined. As a whole truck drivers are safer than your average driver.
Now if you want to talk about L.A's bus drivers, they are a mence to the road ways....
I just read the sunday paper, new leg AB45 bans cell phones being used in car by the driver. What are you guys goin to do now

HighRoller
08-18-2003, 06:10 AM
HH,you obviously have misunderstood me.I'm here watching the lengths people will go to in order to avoid driving the speed limit and it cracks me up.As far as the river or the highway,I'd like to think I'm living in my world but there are other people out there too.I try to operate in a way that prevents other people from having to change their style of driving to accomodate me.But others aren't so nice.They'll cut you off to gain three seconds,not caring that you had to slam on your brakes.(even if you're driving an 80ft truck) This being said,I can criticize these people because they made their business into my business.If they didn't drive like A-holes I wouldn't say anything.Same with people that will spend 1000 dollars for a gadget that will help them not drive the speed limit.It cracks me up that everyone blames the cop or the radar gun when THEY were caught speeding.So I always have to say the same thing.If you didn't speed,all of those things would become moot!
As far as your blurb,Kilrtoy,I'm a commercial truck driver as well.And for you to say I-40 doesn't have much traffic on it is pretty funny.The stats are per vehicle and show that when you eliminate the difference in speed between trucks and cars you stop having truck/auto accidents constantly.

AzDon
08-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Kilrtoy:
Also when your are suspected in any crime , they hold your shit til proven innocent or guilty, Your choice of using drug dealers is poor.
To say that cops teach DARE to kids is brainwashing. Yeah it is BRAINWASHING, IT TEACHS AND REENFORCES TO YOUNG PEOPLE THAT DRUGS ARE BAD. I HOPE THE COPS BRAINWASH THE SHIT OUT OF MY KIDS IN SCHOOL BECAUSE DRUGS ARE BAD, but then again you worry about peeing a bottle so I see why you are concerned about that subject too. Asset forfeiture laws were passed in the early 80's that made a suspected drug dealer's "ill gotten gains" available for immediate siezure WITHOUT recourse and WITHOUT any kind of hearing or oversight. These laws have made anyone carrying a suitcase full of green an instant target for robbery by law enforcement and abuses have happened. As far as the brainwashing of my kids, I hope they DO absorb the messages about drugs and gangs being bad, but I object to the message that cops are somehow "cool" and not adversaries when they want to "chat" with you about something.
I watched a documentary last week about the Escondido Police emotionally torturing a 14-year-old kid whose sister had been murdered until they had twisted a sort-of confession out of him. They lied to him about DNA evidence, the results of a voice stress test and even told him his parents had abandoned him. Some evidence from a Manson-like drifter was re-examined and it was found that the girls blood was on his shirt and the coerced confession from the kid was bogus. His family is suing Escondido for millions and I hope they get paid! Several professional interrogators on the show stressed that beyond the miranda recitation, there are no honesty standards for an interrogator who's trying to get a confession!
I resent your implication that I "worry about peeing in a bottle", because the results have never and will never be a problem for me. I brought up the issue as an example of erosion of our civil rights that every American should be pissed about!
You implying that I am a druggie is defamatory and abusive and therefore against the rules here, so I think you should apologize!
[ August 18, 2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: AzDon ]

Jordy
08-18-2003, 08:40 AM
AzDon:
You implying that I am a druggie is defamatory and abusive and therefore against the rules here, so I think you should apologize! That's the funniest thing I think I've heard yet... ROTFLMAO... :D :D :D

Kilrtoy
08-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Im sure there are more cars registered in san deigo county than those two states combined
That was my statement. The I40 has traffic due to the fact it two lanes only.
As far as peeing in a bottle when it comes to public safety, which yes driving a vehicle that weighs anywhere from 10,000 to 100,000. is of concern and rigtful so. Continued statements about drugs and be read, which I did, as a problem on your part. AZDON, said he is not a druggie, so for that I will say I'm sorry if anyone thinks I said that sorry to him. But the general public does deserve such test. That is why the laws for commercial drivers are at 00.000 for drugs or alchol in the drivers system.....
To exepect someone you employ and pay money to, to be drug free is not unreasonable.