PDA

View Full Version : What is the law regarding boating and open containers?

woodster
07-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Can there be open containers legally? And can the operator be drinking as long as they are not intoxicated?Boat cop u out there??

jlnorthrup122
07-23-2003, 07:10 PM
hell you can drive drunk just don't get cought! :D :D :D

woodster
07-23-2003, 08:57 PM
:p

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-23-2003, 09:01 PM
It really shouldn't matter if there is a law about it the law to me says "don't drink and drive" "friend don't let friends drive drunk" MADD yuk

mickeyfinn
07-23-2003, 10:44 PM
MRS FLYIN VEE:
It really shouldn't matter if there is a law about it the law to me says "don't drink and drive" "friend don't let friends drive drunk" MADD yuk The old saying is true...Don't drink and drive. You may hit a bump and spill your drink.
Drunks Against Mad Mothers-DAMM

jlnorthrup122
07-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Or you could do like my father did get drunk and let your kid drive!! :D :D :D

Boozer
07-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Now what if I had a BIG ASS off shore boat. Could I go passed the international water marker and get shit faced and then haul ass all over?

Caribbean Jet
07-24-2003, 02:07 PM
I've been told that there is a 0 tolerance on most of the lakes in Nevada.

Caribbean Jet
07-24-2003, 02:09 PM
I meant for the driver of the boat there is a 0 tolernace.

Frosty_pop
07-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Boat cop (http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?id=163246;article=249;title=Ask%20B oatCop;date_query=1030459412)

woodster
07-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Frosty_pop:
Boat cop (http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?id=163246;article=249;title=Ask%20B oatCop;date_query=1030459412) Thanks frostypop.. Thats what i was lookin for

GlastronGuy
07-24-2003, 03:08 PM
RiverDave:
woodster:
Can there be open containers legally? And can the operator be drinking as long as they are not intoxicated?Boat cop u out there?? Most lakes in CA you can't have alcohol.. a few you can.
In AZ and just about every other state (I'm sure there's a few like CA, but that vast majority) open containers are perfectly legal, and yes technically the driver can even have one too. Bet on a breathylizer if you are seen with one.. but now days does it even matter? You get stopped you can bet on a breathylizer anyways.
RD I have yet to be on a lake in CA where alcohol wasn't legal.

91nordic29
07-24-2003, 03:17 PM
RiverDave:
MRS FLYIN VEE:
It really shouldn't matter if there is a law about it the law to me says "don't drink and drive" "friend don't let friends drive drunk" MADD yuk There is a difference between drinking and drunk though isn't there?
For example, I've been drinking tonight, but I ain't drunk..
Occifer friendly would probably call my ass impaired though. LOL :D
RD now dave, we almost made it a whole day w/o going there. :D wink

jlnorthrup122
07-24-2003, 03:21 PM
originally posted by RD:
Occifer friendly would probably call my ass impaired though. LOL ROTFLMAO!! :D :D :D
Oficer friendly should tell it to the captain! :D :D

Boozer
07-24-2003, 03:27 PM
From a financial stand point it would be foolish to make alcohol against the law on the water. States can make a LOT of revenue off OUI's and based on the fact that they can still bust you for a .003 and getting you for operating while ability impaired by alcohol.
I don't care what anyone says DUI's and OUI's and all the UI's are revenue makers. Maybe the gov has truely brainwashed LEO's to make them think that is not the case but it is. If it wasn't the case then they'd have laws like get a dUI spend 4 weeks in jail and loose your license for 10 years. That would STOP dui's completely. but instead we'll just let u spend a night in jail and fine you out the ass.

Hustler
07-24-2003, 03:35 PM
RiverDave:
GlastronGuy:
RiverDave:
woodster:
Can there be open containers legally? And can the operator be drinking as long as they are not intoxicated?Boat cop u out there?? Most lakes in CA you can't have alcohol.. a few you can.
In AZ and just about every other state (I'm sure there's a few like CA, but that vast majority) open containers are perfectly legal, and yes technically the driver can even have one too. Bet on a breathylizer if you are seen with one.. but now days does it even matter? You get stopped you can bet on a breathylizer anyways.
RD I have yet to be on a lake in CA where alcohol wasn't legal. Pyramid & Elsinore are both ok with it.
RD I dont think Elsinore is

mickeyfinn
07-24-2003, 07:04 PM
Don't know about the west coast but the way it was explained to me here on the East Coast:
You can be drinking and driving but can't be drunk.
In the Corp of Engineers parks you can be drunk but not drinking or in possesion.
The officers advice to me was to bring my beer in the boat (Park property ends at water line) Put a lounge chair in the water at the edge and drink and get shit faced. Kinda makes it hard to get boat back to trailer though.