PDA

View Full Version : To all SoCal drivers...

DickDanger
03-29-2003, 11:33 PM
Yes, I know that there are a few of you on here that constantly do what I am gonna describe, so pay attention!!!! I am not a perfect driver by any means, but I can tell you what I do and dont do....
1. I DONT stay in the left lane at all times. This is a PASSING lane, which is to be used to get around someone slower in the right lane(s). If someone behind you is traveling at a higher rate of speed, MOVE OVER!!!
2. Okay, there is an amber and/or red light at each corner of your vehicle. These are commonly known as "turn indicators." I DO use these regularly. They are to be utilized PRIOR to you making your turn, OR, if you are planning on changing lanes. We learned about these during drivers ed. in Washington, but maybe the word wasnt passed along down here.
3. I DONT follow right on someones ass. A good rule of thumb here is: a car length for every 10 mph. I understand that in SoCal, this is not possible, but if I have to slam on my brakes, and you end up sitting in the cab of my truck with me, I am going to have every neck and back injury known to man, regardless of my actually being hurt or not. As Chet said in the movie Weird Science..."I am even considering making some shit up".
4. For all of you cell phone users that travel in Riverside: That silver Toyota 4x4 that swerves in your direction, or flips you off, that is me!!! :) I am doing my best to fluster you so that you PAY ATTENTION to the priority at hand: DRIVING!!!
5. As a firefighter, we REALLY hate when people rubberneck vehicle accidents. Yes, I realize that you would like us to bring the bodies a little closer so that you can get a good look. Please, pay attention to what YOU are doing, as this will prevent us from working the accident that you are now in, in addition to the one we started out with, AND, as an added benefit, you wont have the extreme hassle of going from a "looky-lou" to a victim.
6. Car pool lanes were constructed to encourage motorists to travel together whenever possible, thus cutting down on the number or vehicles on the already overcrowded freeways, and to also reduce carbon monoxide. They are designed for 2 (or in some cases, 3) persons per vehicle minumum. Being schizophrenic doesnt qualify. Nor does being late for work. Tip of the day: LEAVE EARLIER!!!
Thank you, that is all...for now.
-DD Out
[ March 29, 2003, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: DickDanger ]

DansBlown73Nordic
03-30-2003, 02:39 AM
You hit the nail on the head. I drive tractor trailer everyday. It happens all the time. I come up on some ASSHOLE going 45 m.p.h. in a 65m.p.h. Zone. He or She is talking on a cell phone. I have even seen people talking on a cell phone and looking at a map or writing stuff down. I just have to wonder who the Hell is driving. :confused: burningm
As for the left lane thing it amazes me how people can be so Dumb. If you see a Big Truck coming up behind you just slide into the other lane. Alot of times Im loaded to the Ass trying to get some speed up for a Big Hill. As I approach a hill out pulls some Jerk who will only go 60 in the 65......Wake up Moron..... burningm

Wet Dream
03-30-2003, 06:40 AM
You both are so right on. Let me add to the stupid things drivers should not do.
#1 If you are behind a tractor trailer, do not tailgate. You would be surprised how fast we can stop, especially if you're not paying attention. The front of your SUV, no matter how big, will not do anything more than scratch the paint on the ICC bumper. I will drive away, you will be towed, after all the paperwork.
#2 If a truck is letting a vehicle merge onto the highway, passing another vehicle, MOVING OVER FOR A TOW TRUCK, POLICE, FIRE DEPT, HIGHWAY CREW OR A BROKEN DOWN CAR on the shoulder, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PASS ON THE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I will attmept to put you into the ditch or the guard rail. Pull your selfish head out of your ass and wait 15 seconds for me to get over. Then you can continue to drive like a POS.
#3 If I have my turn signal on, (I have 5 lights that blink on each side....you can't miss it) I need to get over, and its probably for a good reason. (Car, police, or something else on the shoulder). I will give you plenty of time to slow down and let me in. After this time expires, I will need to take what I've been asking for. I hope you know what a blinking light (turn signals) are for.
#4 Remember that if I am fully loaded, I weigh 20 times more than your SUV. 30 times more than a compact car. Chances are, you're going to get hurt, if not killed. Your kids' safety seat will not protect him/ her from a crushing truck. I have seen just about everything. I have been a firefighter and a truck driver for 7 years now. 30 seconds or 5 minutes added to your travel might seem like a problem, but think of the problems your family will have if they have to bury you or your kids.

03-30-2003, 09:04 AM
Don't turn signals mean "speed up I don't want to be stuck behind that slow-assed truck?" That what usually happens around here and thats why I only use signals as I'm changing lanes, doesn't give the idiots time to respond and cut you off. I'd like to do it right but drivers won't let you.

Seadog
03-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Lets not forget that there are a few idiot truckers out there too. I can't remember the number of times that one has tried to pass a slower truck only to be doing the next 20 miles at below speed limits because of the hills. Not to mention the idiots in cars that either take forever passing a semi or is too scare to get along side of it.

MJ19
03-30-2003, 09:29 AM
DickDanger:
I DONT follow right on someones ass. A good rule of thumb here is: a car length for every 10 mph. -DD Out I take it you had an interesting drive home? wink :D
I love #3 ~ a car length for every ten miles is the law (or at least was when I took my test many moons ago) :cool: That means almost 7 car lengths in between you and the car infront of you, if you are going 65 miles per hour. :) That's a lot more then most people give. :(
Well the rubber neck one was pretty funny too...it always amazes me that you can sit in traffic for what seems like ages, and as soon as you pass the accident you're traveling at a smooth pace again...it's all the lookyloos that have to slow down to check it out that cause the traffic jam...it's not the accident. :rolleyes:

DansBlown73Nordic
03-30-2003, 09:31 AM
WetDream, that is all so true.

DansBlown73Nordic
03-30-2003, 09:35 AM
You guys should see the jerks in New Jersey. Rt 80 at 7 am on any day. If a guy has a flat tire traffic could back up for 15 miles. Everybody slows down to see what the guy is doing jacking up his car on the side of the road...... burningm Duh maybe he had a flat tire.... :rolleyes:

gnarley
03-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Lead, follow or get the hell out of my way!
I bet most of us know where we are going & just want get there, I hate being stuck behind some A-hole who can't figure it out & IS in the fast lane when I just want to get by :mad:

Wet Dream
03-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Remember one thing...those slow ass trucks deliver everything you live on. Everything.

HOSS
03-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Ya`ll got it all wrong. Down here we learn how to drive defensively.
#1 if someone is too close to your rear dump out a box of roofing nails or save shit in a box and throw it on their windshield.
#2 if someone is going too slow and/or refuses to move over then go around them and see action #1
#3 if someone curses you and/or flips you off then see action #1
#4 if someone fails to use their turn indicator make damn sure you can get in front of them and see action #1
#5 if someone ever cuts in front of you(especially during traffic)on the freeway by utilizing the shoulder, SHOOT THEM!
[ March 30, 2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

MJ19
03-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Wet Dream:
#2 If a truck is letting a vehicle merge onto the highway, passing another vehicle, MOVING OVER FOR A TOW TRUCK, POLICE, FIRE DEPT, HIGHWAY CREW OR A BROKEN DOWN CAR on the shoulder, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PASS ON THE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I will attmept to put you into the ditch or the guard rail. Pull your selfish head out of your ass and wait 15 seconds for me to get over. Then you can continue to drive like a POS. This one makes me sooo mad to watch...why are people in such a hurry they try to pass on the right...drives me crazy in town when you see a truck at a stop light making a right and some jacka*s pulls in next to them to make a right...doesn't that person know the truck will end up rolling right over them! eek!
If I have my turn signal on, (I have 5 lights that blink on each side....you can't miss it) I need to get over, and its probably for a good reason. (Car, police, or something else on the shoulder). I will give you plenty of time to slow down and let me in. After this time expires, I will need to take what I've been asking for. I hope you know what a blinking light (turn signals) are for. This is another good one...when I see a truck using his blinkers I hold back and let'em in, because back in the day of pulling a horse trailer, we would follow a similar rule of thumb, turn on the blinker, wait a few, then go, to bad so sad if that little honda didn't get out of the way :D
Remember that if I am fully loaded, I weigh 20 times more than your SUV. 30 times more than a compact car. Chances are, you're going to get hurt, if not killed. Your kids' safety seat will not protect him/ her from a crushing truck. Not to mention that weight affects the way you stop and go, so if you're one of those little cars that zips infront of the truck so close they can't see you, and then for some reason you have to slam on the breaks, that big truck is going to run right over you. eek! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was taught to only get in front of a truck when you can see their windsheild in your rear view mirror, otherwise they can't see you. :)
[ March 30, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

DansBlown73Nordic
03-30-2003, 09:42 AM
Thats a fact. If those slow ASS trucks ever stop hauling stuff, you folks will be wishing they would pull out in front of you and go SLOW!! wink

MJ19
03-30-2003, 09:45 AM
HOSS:
Ya`ll got it all wrong. Down here we learn how to drive defensively.
#1 if someone is too close to your rear dump out a box of roofing nails or save shit in a box and throw it on their windshield. Hoss,
You forgot to mention get a mouth full of chewing tabacco and if someone is riding your rear end, spit a huge juicy chaw right onto their windshield :D

LaveyJet
03-30-2003, 09:46 AM
DickDanger:
Yes, I know that there are a few of you on here that constantly do what I am gonna describe, so pay attention!!!! I am not a perfect driver by any means, but I can tell you what I do and dont do.... -DD Out Let me add one I saw last month, (I occasionally take the 91 through Riverside, which is under construction, meaning k-rails and narrower lanes.) The little sweetie who was doing her make-up holding a Starbucks in one hand, a cell phone on her shoulder, and smiling when she cuts you off :mad: .

HOSS
03-30-2003, 09:52 AM
MJ19, thats for the blowhole that kareened the grocery kart into the side of my rig. That Redman ruins the paint.
Depending on damadge a key might be in order.
I remember at Pat Gillen`s (Irish Pub) when some idiot parked behind me and left. Kicked the fender in and myuself and some potnas lifted the car and moved it. Didn`t even know him. Why would a moron do something so stupid?

Wet Dream
03-30-2003, 10:11 AM
MJ, You're a smart gal.
Hoss, you aren't kiddin. My CJ-7 was 24 hours out of the body shop with new paint and all the goodies. It was rear-ended by a drunk and in the shop for months. I take my girl out to dinner that night and park out of the way, way in the back. Some asshole lets the shopping cart go...of all places, hits my Jeep. :mad: Puts a nice chip in the paint. I was fuming. I got behind the wheel, and pushed that cart at 50mph arcross the parkinglot. I stopped just in time to watch it hit the parkinglot curb, rip the front wheels off and sail about 50 yards through the next lot before coming to a rest. My girlfriend wasn't happy, but I thought it was justified. :D
[ March 30, 2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Wet Dream ]

Havasu Hangin'
03-30-2003, 10:43 AM
gnarley:
Lead, follow or get the hell out of my way!Words to live by!
My dad was a truck driver...did I ever tell you about the time we flattened a car? We were doing about 70MPH...he pulled right in front of us at about 10MPH...
...he lost that battle.

MJ19
03-30-2003, 10:45 AM
I'm going to tell a story that made me laugh pretty damn hard...but it might make some of you upset...
...a few years ago, I was in a parking lot and noticed this car all tricked out parked sideways in two spots (presummable so no one would park next to him giving a door ding) my friend was so bothered by this, he gently put a shopping cart right next to this car (right next to it...almost touching)...we sat in the parking lot and watched the guy come out of the store and freak...guess you had to be there :D hee, hee

DickDanger
03-30-2003, 10:48 AM
Wet dream, you are totally right about the big rigs. People are really dicks to you guys. I always let big rigs in whenever possible.
MJ, its not that I had an interesting drive home, the stuff I describe I see EVERY DAY!!! And I rarely drive the freeways!!!!
Heres another one....
Why is it when you come up on someone that is going considerably slower, and attempt to pass, they suddenly speed up? Are we in a f**king NASCAR race together, and I didnt realize it? F**king jerks.
Anyone that attempts to use their vehicle to PURPOSELY injure or kill me, ESPECIALLY when I have done nothing wrong, be prepared for me to follow you to your destination, and either kick your ass heartily (yes, this has happened on more than one occasion), or get out of my truck, and get MY ass handed to me (yes, this happened once too...LMFAO).
I have lived here for 7 years now, and it still amazes me how inconsiderate drivers are to one another down here.
-DD Out
MJ, great story!!! I had a similar one a few years ago. Pulled into a Staters parking lot, and parked in the front of the store. In the spot next to me, there was a shopping cart. Went in, did my shopping, and when I came out, there was a maroon mini van now parked in the spot where the shopping cart was, which was now, yep, you guessed it, resting against my trucks passenger door. Rather than moving it, they had just pushed it into my truck, leaving a nice scratch. Needless to say, the people in the parking lot were pretty impressed when I picked the shopping cart up, and heaved it onto the hood of that mini van, thus leaving multiple cracks in its windshield, and a big fat dent (with MANY scratches) on the hood. After this little debacle, I waited for the owners to come out, but alas, they must have decided to wait until I left.
[ March 30, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: DickDanger ]

CA Stu
03-30-2003, 11:02 AM
Here's a thought for ya, lead by example, Dick.
As a motorcycle riding commuter, a lot of the behavior you describe is both scary and life threatening to me.
However! You have no control over how other drivers drive, and from the tone of your post, you are getting and giving really bad vibes, man.
Maybe some more positive karma emanating from behind your steering wheel will spread your really good driving skills and courtesy, and encourage the unenlightened to follow your shining example.
Please don't swerve at folks, though. My old lady is 8 months pregnant and a blond chick to boot, so she sometimes drives like a moron, but I still don't want her getting the shit scared out of her by you.
Practice Gandhi-like enlightened driving, Mr. Danger, and all will be right with the world.
Peace!
Yours Truly, A Riversider
CA Stu
PS Gandhi-like behavior does not extend to people that drive 45 through my 25 mph neighborhood. I will yell at you once then kick your ass the second time. :D

Wet Dream
03-30-2003, 11:20 AM
CA STU, that brings up a whole different stroy. When I was commuting from Morgan Hill to Hayward everyday, the motorcycle was very economical, plus fun. I'm heading south on 101 and notice that a black Mustang did not want another guy on his bike close to him. The 5.0 kept cutting him off and attempting to shove the bike off the road. I saw this happening and figured I'd better intervene. I put my bike in between his bike and the Mustang. The little bike took off, I look in the mirror and a trucker and another car had traffic blocked but moving at about 35mph. The mustang was trying to now throw me off the road. If I only had a gun... idea the radiator would have become an issue. But I didn't and I figured it was time to get out of that predicament. I accelerated faster than he could, but he had longer legs. Luckily, he just kept going. I think I still have his license plate # on my tank.

DickDanger
03-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Stu, excellent points you have made. I agree. I am not going to defend my behavior if you disagree, but I WILL say that I always try to be a thoughtful driver. Example, I ALWAYS try to leave plenty of room from the front of my truck, to the back of the car in front of me. Guess what happens? People take this as an invitation, and inevitably dart in there. I dont talk on my cell phone while driving (yes, I mean never), I dont read while driving, and I dont jam in front of people without signaling. And I also agree about Karma....hell, I even wear a jade buddha around my neck for extra help!!!! LMAO -DD Out
[ March 30, 2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: DickDanger ]

CA Stu
03-30-2003, 11:47 AM
DickDanger:
Stu, excellent points you have made. I agree. I am not going to defend my behavior if you disagree, but I WILL say that I always try to be a thoughtful driver. Example, I ALWAYS try to leave plenty of room from the front of my truck, to the back of the car in front of me. Guess what happens? People take this as an invitation, and inevitably dart in there. I dont talk on my cell phone while driving (yes, I mean never), I dont read while driving, and I dont jam in front of people without signaling. -DD Out I will relate to you the reasoning behind my post:
One day, many moons ago, when I was young and stupid(er), my Dad and I were arriving at my apartment in my car, and some idiot neighbor of mine had parked at an angle where I had about 6 inches of clearance to get into my parking spot. I said something like "Goddamnit! Stupid M.F. c* sucking a* hole SOB neighbor parked like a F'ing retard again!!"
At which point, dear old Dad turned to me and said in a fatherly tone, "Rather than look at it like that, why don't you view the situation as a challenge to your already superior driving skills?".
Thanks to that little nugget of wisdom, my daily commute is now "a challenge to my already superior driving skills", rather than a frustrating curse-filled nightmare of hatred and anger.
I thank you for your considerate driving skills, and I hope that others follow your shining example.
CA Stu
PS Don't be a hater, nor a tailgater.

TahitiSteve
03-30-2003, 07:41 PM
1)If you're scared of your car, take a cab
2)When merging the object is to match the speed of traffic, and then move into the lane causing little if any disturbance to flow, hence the word merge. You are not to turn on your blinker and stop, waiting for some other idiot to stop in the middle of the highway (thinking he's being nice) to let you in, as he gets rearended into you, killing you, himself and the innocent driver of the car behind him. Also when merging do not speed up to get your rear bumper even with my front, and then brake as you attempt to take my lane, If you needlessly brake while merging, expect me to refuse to let you in front of me, also watch out you're about to ram the guard rail at the end of the merge lane.
3a)Just had to reiterate, it's not the fast lane, it's the passing lane.
3b)Passing on the right is a crime, however that makes no sense, the crime should be--getting passed on the right, you are in the wrong lane.
4)If you are driving the same speed as the cars to your right speed up and merge into that lane.
5)When your exit lane starts, instead of waiting for other cars to get next to you and stopping in the middle of the highway to finally get the lane causing the same accident described in #2, take the lane.
6)When changing lanes, notice that big space between the cars ahead of you in the lane you are after, the pedal on the right will help you to reach that spot, the pedal on the left will either cause the same accident yet again, or fingers to fly.
7)If you notice yourself repeatedly getting flipped off while driving, take a cab.
8)If you're driving a Volvo--you likely cannot see over the steering wheel and are violating rules 1-7, take a cab

DEEZ NUTTS
03-30-2003, 08:34 PM
I love the parking lot stories. Why can't some people park their 4 door boat pullers? I can, and its lifted. Make the 47 point turn to get into the spot.
Usually I opt for the hike and just park way out there, but when I see that car sideways in 2 spots its going to be tight for them.
Classic cars are exempt of course, or anything with a blower stickin' through the lid.

MJ19
03-30-2003, 08:38 PM
DickDanger:
I have lived here for 7 years now, and it still amazes me how inconsiderate drivers are to one another down here. You ought to see the drivers in MA...they make Los Angeles drivers look like angels! eek!
You're right though...people are amazing...I set it on cruise control and then laugh when people think I'm the one speeding up and down. HELLO :rolleyes: ..that's the worst...you're on cruise control...some one passes you, slows down, you pass them...still on cruise control...they pass you...it's crazy! I need a sign that says "pick a speed jackass" :D

Tom Brown
03-30-2003, 08:41 PM
I thought that stuff only happened in Canada and you Americans knew how to drive.
When I used to live in Toronto, there were a couple of times when it took an extra couple of hours to get home because the 401 was all clogged up. There's something about getting to the end of the bottle neck and realizing the problem is an accident in the lanes going the other way and you just pissed away 2 hours of your evening because **** wads in front of you needed to see what was going on.

MJ19
03-30-2003, 08:43 PM
DEEZ NUTTS:
Usually I opt for the hike and just park way out there I love to see some fatass lazy bum (excuse my language) waiting for a parking spot that's close to the store's front door. I typically can park way out and walk into the front door of the store before they have even parked their car. :rolleyes: If they walked the extra millie-fraction of a mile they might lose those extra pounds. :D

Tom Brown
03-30-2003, 08:47 PM
At my gym the **** sticks park in the ambulance access right up by the main doors. There's always a car or two in there and it's never enforced.
I don't plan on getting hurt at the gym so I guess it's no big deal to me. Perhaps if I did get hurt and someone parked behind the ambulance blocking them in, it might bother me more. :D :D

Ziggy
03-31-2003, 05:42 PM
There are endless stories to be had about crappy drivers...how many times have I had a truck pull out in front of me(I know they need momentum) to race up the grade against another truck at 25mph...but thats not the real issue here, nor do the extra 5 minutes it takes me to "get there" really matter. What's it matter if you get there at 2 or 2:15 in the morning? Ain't getting on the lake til morning anyhow, and no worries, the lake will still be there when you wake up. :cool:
We tend to think of driving as a right rather than a privilage..especially since we don't pay to get a license.
If we had the stringent laws that are applied as they are in Europe our roads would be much, much safer. It takes thousands of dollars to go to school and aquire a drivers license, lets say in Germany. Safety and very precise rules are taught which make the road safer for all that use it. Thats why they can get away with high or unlimited speed limits because the other drivers actions should and are predictable by means of having done the same stringent training.
I think if we paid that kinda dough for driving privilages here we'd have more respect for all the other drivers we "know" were taught the same rules. "You'd know" the guy will move over to the right when he sees your lights coming up behind. "You know" his left signal is on while in the left(passing)lane because he is at high speed and wants by.....and many more.
The basic problem here in the States is we "expect" and its "my" road and screw everyone else. argue yuk
I little respect and common courtesy will go miles and miles. :D
And as a footnote, I think most truckers are good respectful drivers and I'll follow them willingly cuz they have more safe miles on their asses than most of us drivers and can learn something from them. :)
More than 2 cents worth.
And no, I'm not a Semi driver, but I do put alot of miles on every year.

Tinkerer
03-31-2003, 07:36 PM
Went christmas shopping years ago (lots of snow) so limited parking. Found a spot. Went shopping- pager went off ( I was on call ) HVAC TECH. Went to car to find it triple parked. I was nose to nose with the car in front of me. ( the normal way people park ) Some dumb ass parked behind me. Got mall security ( real off duty cops ) He tells me he can't do anything. I said to call a wrecker and have the car towed. He tells me he can't do that. I am real pissed so I said that is fine I will move it. I was driving a FORD THUNDERBIRD the other car was MUCH smaller. My car had the rubber push blocks on the bumper that cars used to have. I put it in reverse and just pushed the car back untill I had enough room to get out. The whole time the cop is just standing there with his mouth hanging open. As I am driving away without a scratch he finally wakes up and asks me what he is sapposed to do with this car in the middle of the trafic lane. I said to him very straight faced IT'S YOUR PROBLEM NOW.

JetBoatRich
03-31-2003, 07:49 PM
How about using the turn outs! I use a lot of canyon roads going to and from work, tom many people drive right past turn outs with a line of cars behind them. :mad: