PDA

View Full Version : Pre Boating Check List .....

Hallett19
03-13-2003, 09:07 PM
I really liked Mandelon's post under "starter problems" on hot boats west and I wanted to post it in a central posting spot. Any added suggestions would be appreciated, especially for some of the new boaters because I know I have commited 3 of the "crimes" below :D
Originally posted by Mandelon:
Not perfect here. As a boater these things I've done:
1. forgot the keys,
2. lost the keys,
3. forgot the detachable face stereo,
4. Dead Battery
5. Steering cable/rack and pinion broke
6. Turned starter too soon and jammed the gears of the starter and flywheel
7. Rubber fitting around bendix disintegrated.
on top of number 1,2,3 and 4 I took my center bushing out of my pump and my nozzle was flailing around everywhere, didnt have gas (real stupid one) had the distributor loose, had the rubber gasket missing from my garden hose conector(wondered why my bilge pump never turned off :rolleyes: ) had my plug out, and thats pretty much it.

77charger
03-13-2003, 09:15 PM
well i havent forgot the keys but how hard is a boat to hot wire?i have rewired my boat and had a crimp come loose the starter solonoid wire(thought my starter bombed) i got to the ramp launched and turned the key had power but no motor turn over.I ended up getting a screwdriver to try and go directly motor turned over so i turned the power on and started the boat (ghetto style) but it didnt stop my day even hustler got a look at my temporary system :)
One thing i did was change a fuel pump forgot what way the fuel filter(non see thru inline type) went on put it on backwards when it had dirt in there had fuel pump probs for a while as well as a clogged holly carb filter took me half a day to figure that one. :mad:

bordsmnj
03-13-2003, 09:16 PM
that's funny :D lmao. I've done most of those but never had the nuts to admit it. smile_sp

79Hawaiian
03-13-2003, 11:24 PM
This post was done sometime last year but here are some of my favorites:
-forgot plug or did not put it in
-forgot sun shade
-forgot sexy blonde Playboy models with loose morals
-not enough beer
-forgot to invite friends that bring cash for gas/beer

JetBoatRich
03-14-2003, 04:16 AM
79Hawaiian:
-forgot sun shade
-not enough beer
-forgot to invite friends that bring cash for gas/beer This is a good list, I will have to add it to the check list written down wink
Thanks for the ride does not make it go any farther!
[ March 14, 2003, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

Mandelon
03-14-2003, 06:35 AM
I never forgot the beer! And I was only 15 minutes from the ramp so I went back and got the keys.
I have one of those portable jump starters... Basically a rechargable battery in a box. It has jumper cables on it. I've loaned that to a lot of people at the ramp. Maybe I could set up a sign, "Will jump you for beer" :D
Is still fire it up in the driveway just to make sure..... wink

LeE ss13
03-14-2003, 06:40 AM
Your boats have Keys ???

MJ19
03-14-2003, 08:09 AM
79Hawaiian:
-forgot sun shade
-not enough beer
-forgot to invite friends that bring cash for gas/beer Does that last one exsist? :confused:

Blown 472
03-14-2003, 08:11 AM
Not were I go boating.

superdave013
03-14-2003, 08:18 AM
1. boat has no key
2. same as above
3. boat has not stereo
4. I've done that one!
5. Not had a steering problem yet
6. Your lucky, I broke a tooth off the flywheel
7. Get a starter from RB starters and you won't have that problem.
Drain plug: I have not left that out yet. Everyone does it once so I guess I'm over due.
My truck ran out of gas on the ramp one time.
Had to dump 5 gal of VP-C16 race gas in it @ 6.75 a gal. :rolleyes:
[ March 14, 2003, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

78Eliminator
03-14-2003, 10:12 AM
My boat caught on fire. It doesn't get any worse than that. Even sinking it is less destructive.

HammerDown
03-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Wet Naps!...think about it! :D

bordsmnj
03-14-2003, 11:14 AM
and never never ever forget to apply the safty catch on the winch that holds the boat on to the trialer when pulling your boat out!! i can still here that whole waterfront bar laughin' and peein' their pants :mad:

AZKC
03-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Allways ck your safety latch on your hitch after a long nite out and your takin the boat back to the ramp for a day on the water and thank God for saftey chains. You will not believe the damage the bow of your boat and the tounge of your trailer will do to a tailgate when driving down hill to the ramp and it comes off the ball :D
KC

uvindex
03-14-2003, 11:32 AM
Here's one to add to a pre-launch checklist (although you only need to do it once a year, I suppose):
If you have one of those floaty things on your boat keys, test its floatiness sometime in a swimming pool or shallow water! :) I see some guys out there with gigantor sets of keys, and I have a feeling that if they get dropped overboard they have a snowball's chance in hell of floating!
Happy boating,
CS

Liberator TJ1984
03-14-2003, 11:44 AM
Redoing Registration # and tags on my boat I took them off one night, next mourning was perfect weather everyone going to the lake so here I go....about 4 trips later a buddy asked hey wheres your #'s and tags at ????
OOOOOOOPPPSSS :rolleyes:

miller19j
03-14-2003, 11:49 AM
RatherBeInLHC:
Here's one to add to a pre-launch checklist (although you only need to do it once a year, I suppose):
If you have one of those floaty things on your boat keys, test its floatiness sometime in a swimming pool or shallow water! :) I see some guys out there with gigantor sets of keys, and I have a feeling that if they get dropped overboard they have a snowball's chance in hell of floating!
Happy boating,
CS That’s the first thing I did when I bought my boat. I took it into the kitchen and tried it in the sink.
Hmmm…I wonder if this thing really works?

miller19j
03-14-2003, 11:52 AM
superdave013:
Drain plug: I have not left that out yet. Everyone does it once so I guess I'm over due.
Right before my wife pulls out the truck and trailer she always asks me if I put the plug in.
I had a guy next to me once say,” Wow my wife doesn’t even know what the plug is. She is a keeper”

XLGPP
03-14-2003, 11:54 AM
HOW ABOUT POST-BOATING?
I have never done this, but see it happen almost every time Im at the ramp. And I know ya'll have too...
some guy is yelling at his wife for not backing up the truck and trailer straight, but finally gets it all loaded up and strapped down...THEN "HE" pulls on up the launch ramp forgetting to trailer the drive up.... OOPS!!!!
****sparks***** jawdrop

MJ19
03-15-2003, 03:01 PM
One day my friend & I were at the ramp waiting for Miller to come down with the truck. We were watching domestic battles over loading and unloading boats, laughing...I made the comment of how commical it is to watch people fight. We laughed & laughted...
...Shortly after that, Miller showed up with the truck...I jumped into the driver's seat and forgot to put it in 'drive' to pull the boat out and proceeded to gun it in 'reverse' :rolleyes: Thank God the boat I hit was a dinger fishing boat with 3 drunkards in it that didn't really care (our boat was fine)...since then I vowed to never make fun of people at the ramp. :D Chalked it up as one more of life's little lessons :D
FOR THE RECORD: Miller was AWESOME! He did not yell at me, or say anything to hurt my feelers. He knew it was an accident and I'm sooo glad he didn't embaress me infront of the other ramp watchers as the crash was embaressing enough :cool:

Irishluck
03-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Keys, beer, chicks, and oh shit I forgot the 300 bucks I'll need for gas.

XLGPP
03-15-2003, 03:27 PM
One day my friend & I were at the ramp waiting for Miller to come down with the truck. We were watching domestic battles over loading and unloading boats, laughing...I made the comment of how commical it is to watch people fight. We laughed & laughted...
...Shortly after that, Miller showed up with the truck...I jumped into the driver's seat and forgot to put it in 'drive' to pull the boat out and proceeded to gun it in 'reverse' Thank God the boat I hit was a dinger fishing boat with 3 drunkards in it that didn't really care (our boat was fine)...since then I vowed to never make fun of people at the ramp. Chalked it up as one more of life's little lessons
FOR THE RECORD: Miller was AWESOME! He did not yell at me, or say anything to hurt my feelers. He knew it was an accident and I'm sooo glad he didn't embaress me infront of the other ramp watchers as the crash was embaressing enough THAT WAS YOU :confused: j/k
He must really ruv you!