PDA

View Full Version : WTF------i have to pay michigan sales tax?

Lotoparty
02-08-2003, 06:36 AM
someone please help me here.
i recently signed a purchase agreement to buy a used boat from a broker in michigan. the agreement DID state that i had to pay michigan sales tax of 6% unless i can provide documents that would void me paying michigan. i figured since im going to register it in missouri where i live i would either pay missouri's in liew of sales tax if i document or missouri sales tax.
broker says no , i have to pay michigan sales tax unless i have the boat trucked out of state?
does this sound right to you guys?
how can i get around this?
can i hire a transport company to move it across the state line then turn it over to me for a few hundred bucks?
i didnt have to pay oklohoma sales tax when i bought my last boat from there. whats up with michigan?
has anyone been thru this before?
help :mad:

mike37
02-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Im thinking California is the same way
if you dont want to pay calif tax you must take delivery in the state you are going to reg it in
to avoid calif tax

Seadog
02-08-2003, 08:01 AM
The reason you didn't pay Oklahoma sales tax is that there is no sales tax on boats or cars. There is a sales tax on trailers, but boats and cars are paid for when they are registered. On a positive side, registration tax is only 3.5%, so you save money initially. However, since this is not part of the purchase, you cannot finance it as part of the purcase price and the subsequent tax on the property will negate the initial savings.

haulina29
02-08-2003, 08:14 AM
Lotoparty check that out, last year i bought a 48 foot enclosed trailer from Classic in michigan and i didnt pay sales tax until I registered it in California . I think someone is jerkin your chain . From past experiences i have always paid sales tax to the state the unit was registered to.

Daytona19
02-08-2003, 09:21 AM
If used in Michigan you pay Michigan sales tax but if not you pay in the state in which its used. Before paying look into it more and hang on to your cash. I just bought one from Ohio and didnt pay ohio sales tax, I am using it in Michigan and paid Michigans sales tax which is bullshit anyways.I cant figure for the life on me that how thats done because that boat has been bought & sold 3 times before me. It has paid its dues many times over and its just a racket by the state.

Lotoparty
02-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Seadog , i think you filled in the missing piece of the tax puzzle.
oklahoma used boats come with a non-tax discount. wink

beyondhelpin
02-08-2003, 02:21 PM
I live in Oklahoma and have bought several cars in Texas where they require sales tax to be paid. I jst had to sign a form that I was going to register and use the vehicle in another state. Did not pay sales tax on any of them.

cheezpanel
02-08-2003, 03:06 PM
While we're on the topic...I'm looking to buy a new trailer soon. The dealer told me that if I take delivery out of state, that I won't have to pay the California sales tax. Is this true? Would it be registered in CA or AZ where it will be used? I don't know if these guys are jerkin me around or what...Thanks for any info.

Seadog
02-08-2003, 05:29 PM
What ever happen to Boat Cop? Sounds like we need proffessional help. At least my wife keeps saying that. :D