PDA

View Full Version : New boats in 2003 - emission stickers?

BADAXE
04-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Anybody with a new boat in 2003 needs to display an emission sticker next to the CF numbers.
What happens if you don't display the sticker? What's everybody else with a new boat doing? Leave it on? Take it off? Don't put it on tto begin with?

HCS
04-09-2003, 03:42 PM
If there is such a thing. I would act like I never got one.

HCS
04-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Through it away!. :rolleyes:

Ziggy
04-09-2003, 03:59 PM
How much harder can the Gov. squeeze our nuts--geez... eek! :o eek! Haven't heard such a thing yet, what're up to now?

77charger
04-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Havent heard of that yet but it wouldnt surprise me if it was true esp for Kalifornia.I know that outboards are going to be required to have a star rating for emissions though.Only 4 strokes or direct injection motors.(try to find a hi performance o/b here)2.5 merc or promax 300,

master13
04-09-2003, 04:46 PM
I just got a new boat and i don't have a sticker...never heard of it. Might not be true.

Wet Dream
04-09-2003, 05:50 PM
I remember hearing somewhere that catalytic converters might possibly be used on newer boats, but how would you be able to emission a boat. You know how they run the crap out of a car to test it, you would burn up the engine on a boat.

Jbb
04-09-2003, 06:07 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the coast gaurd had some issues with catalytic converters on boats ...Might get a bit hot under the hatch with them!! eek!

bear down
04-09-2003, 06:30 PM
I got a sticker on my new Eliminator 220 Eagle. Basically California Law Says the Sticker must be on when the boat is delivered(Dealer has to take a pic of the boat with the sticker on). I took mine off once I left the lot, they said just as long as I had it on when I took delivery of the boat it was o.k.

TCHB
04-09-2003, 06:42 PM
The last comments at the Federal level were that EPA will require all new boats to be inspected, and modifications limited(NO SCR). Two Cycles will have a tough time with all the new changes. Today you can not ride a new two cycle motorcylce on public land(bullshit). I have not seen the actual time line for the new laws. I will see if I can gather some more data on this subject.

BADAXE
04-09-2003, 07:41 PM
77charger:
Havent heard of that yet but it wouldnt surprise me if it was true esp for Kalifornia.I know that outboards are going to be required to have a star rating for emissions though.Only 4 strokes or direct injection motors.(try to find a hi performance o/b here)2.5 merc or promax 300, Yep, you're right there is a star rating and a sticker with stars (my 496 ho has 3 stars). I was told it began Jan. 1, 2003.

BADAXE
04-09-2003, 07:44 PM
bear down:
I got a sticker on my new Eliminator 220 Eagle. Basically California Law Says the Sticker must be on when the boat is delivered(Dealer has to take a pic of the boat with the sticker on). I took mine off once I left the lot, they said just as long as I had it on when I took delivery of the boat it was o.k. Thanks for the info, that was what I was thinking also.
I wonder if Boatcop knows anything about it?

silver surfer
04-09-2003, 09:39 PM
The sticker that came with my boat had to be placed on the engine after rigging. I do have a second sticker that I keep on board, but not next to my CF numbers. The owners manual does say to place the sticker next to the CF.

WILD LAVEY
04-09-2003, 10:19 PM
this must be a california thing. i registered AZ, and no extra sticker. i dont think ill stick on my boat anyway with all that teflon wax i have on it.

Boatcop
04-10-2003, 03:10 PM
It's strictly a Kalifornia thing. All new boats and/or engines sold in Kalifornia, or delivered by the manufacturer/dealer to Kalifornia have to meet 2006 EPA emission requirements.
The engine manufacturer must certify that they meet the requirements. Once they're in the hands of the owner, anything goes. (at least for now)
According to CARB* by 2025, ALL boats in CA will be emission tested and/or certified, and have to meet maximum emission standards. (similar to what motor vehicles are now)
(*California Air Resources Board)

Jordy
04-10-2003, 03:12 PM
Imagine the lines to go get your boat emission tested... I don't know about you BC, but I'm certainly glad I don't live in Kalifornia... :D

schiada96
04-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Looks like another reason to register in parker!!!!

BADAXE
04-10-2003, 08:45 PM
schiada96:
Looks like another reason to register in parker!!!! I may be wrong but I believe if you BUY in California the manufacturer has to install the sticker. I'm registering in Arizona and they say the sticker still has to be installed.