PDA

View Full Version : Big F.....cking Bear

mike37
12-18-2002, 07:36 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/bear.JPG The attached pictures are of a guy who works for the forest service in Alaska. He was out deer hunting and an enormous grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded a 7mm mag into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. Even after that, the thing was still alive so he reloaded and shot it in the head. It was over one thousand six hundred pounds, 12.6" high at the shoulder standing up. It's a world record. The forest service believes that this bear was the cause of a couple of deaths in the area. Of course, the game department did not let him keep it. This thing on it's hind legs could walk up to the average single story house and look on the roof at eye level......whoa.......

mike37
12-18-2002, 07:38 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/bear2.JPG

andy01
12-18-2002, 07:49 PM
Holy shit! That is one big ass bear! The claw on it is crazy!
Andy

Froggystyle
12-18-2002, 08:02 PM
Is there a news story on it anywhere?

superdave013
12-18-2002, 08:09 PM
wow! That guy could have been a small snack for that thing. He's a lucky MoFo.

FlatRacer
12-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Hey, if the gun control lobby had had their way, d'ya suppose he coulda talked it to death???

Tom Brown
12-18-2002, 08:24 PM
I sure didn't think it was possible to bring down a grizzly with a 7mm gun. That's a serious tale. His children and grandchildren aren't going to believe that one. I hardly do. 7mm? Wow!
eek!

mike37
12-18-2002, 08:28 PM
This was emailed to me I think its true but ya never know

Tom Brown
12-18-2002, 08:36 PM
I'm not trying to discredit the story. Those must have been some serious 7mm rounds to take down a grizzly. I didn't think it was possible.
By the way, that's a great story. :)
[ December 18, 2002, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

Froggystyle
12-18-2002, 09:07 PM
Tom Brown:
I'm not trying to discredit the story. Those must have been some serious 7mm rounds to take down a grizzly. I didn't think it was possible.
By the way, that's a great story. :) I have a 7mm that could take down a Grizzly.
It is called a 7mm Remington rifle cartridge. Serious heat.
The damage in this case is rarely done by physical carnage... i.e. pieces missing that it needs that a .45 truncated cone hollowpoint would do. What stops these big creatures (and humans too for that matter) is hydrostatic shock created by a hyper-velocity rifle round striking something squishy and wet (the insides of a bear) and the wet stuff not compressing. What it does is demolish the internal organs and blow apart hearts and lungs and stuff. Two or three rounds (the guy probably had 4 in the rifle) would do it for sure. The "security round" in the head was not a bad idea though. wink
If it hits a bone while courseing through the body, so much the better. You generate shrapnel which then does it's own brand of damage while expanding.
For stopping power and penetration... always pick velocity over mass.

schiada96
12-18-2002, 09:16 PM
I'd feel awfully undergunned with a 7mm hunting griz I'd much rather have my 340 wm. I want energy to stop an animal like that not a 22-250 at 4200 fps with a 50 grain balistic tip
[ December 18, 2002, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: schiada96 ]

HammerDown
12-18-2002, 09:38 PM
So would this mean he'll be eating Grizzly Burgers for a long time?

HammerDown
12-18-2002, 09:40 PM
I tend to think the ball-up and play dead move wouldnt do much good if that Beast was nawing on your skull!

Tom Brown
12-18-2002, 09:46 PM
HammerDown:
I tend to think the ball-up and play dead move wouldnt do much good if that Beast was nawing on your skull!Hopefully he's chewing on the back of your head because it's important not to make eye contact.

HammerDown
12-18-2002, 09:58 PM
Tom Brown:
HammerDown:
I tend to think the ball-up and play dead move wouldnt do much good if that Beast was nawing on your skull!Hopefully he's chewing on the back of your head because it's important not to make eye contact.For sure on that...I would'nt look at him in the eyes either, last thing ya want to do is piss-off a 1200lb. Bear when he's rippin the back of your neck out!
[ December 18, 2002, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

ACCEPTENCE
12-18-2002, 09:58 PM
Tom Brown:
HammerDown:
I tend to think the ball-up and play dead move wouldnt do much good if that Beast was nawing on your skull!Hopefully he's chewing on the back of your head because it's important not to make eye contact.To both of you; Laughing My Ass Off, I could have wrote LMAO but that wouldn't explain how hard I'm laughing!!!! Too cool!!!

HammerDown
12-18-2002, 10:01 PM
I wonder if a good kick in the tomatoes would slow him down?

CrazyHippy
12-18-2002, 10:57 PM
Froggystyle
For stopping power and penetration... always pick velocity over mass.**** That, i'm carrying a cannon from now on....
Launch a ****ing 6 pound weight at 600 fps, and tell me it wont stop something.
I dont care if a kill it or not, i just want to stop it, and make it want to stay the hell away from me!!!
BJH

Froggystyle
12-19-2002, 12:23 AM
schiada96:
I'd feel awfully undergunned with a 7mm hunting griz I'd much rather have my 340 wm. I want energy to stop an animal like that not a 22-250 at 4200 fps with a 50 grain balistic tipHe wasn't hunting Griz. He was hunting deer. Hunting deer with a 340 Winmag is a little overkill, dontcha think?
My sidearm is a H&K USP .45 that I chose for it's ability to fire +p rounds. A normal round shoots a 110 grain solid ball at 730fps. Mine shoots a 230 grain hollow point at 1280. Rumour has it that if you practice double taps with this round, you will have a tough time finding a second piece big enough to shoot at once the first one hits.
I would guess that 4 7mm rifle rounds and 10 .45 Federal +P rounds would bring it down.
On that note, I wouldn't HUNT that monster with anything short of an air strike!
Here is how that might sound...
"Alpha one this is Trailer Park, I have target bearing 240 10 clicks from IP Razor"
"Roger Trailer Park, inbound 30 seconds."
"Alpha 1 trailer park, I have a visual on you, come 10 degrees west, sight on 13 foot tall grizzly in clearing, eating hunter. Request 250 gp ordinance..."
"Trailer Park Alpha 1, roger on grizzly..... wings level"
"Cleared hot"
"Request BDA"
"Direct hit 1, repeat Alpha 2. From leads hit, come 20 meters north"
"click click"
"Trailer Park, Alpha 2... wings level"
"Cleared Hot"
"That got him Alpha 2. I am going to run down there with a haversack and do a clean up shot. Thank you Alpha strike..."
"click click"

unleashed
12-19-2002, 01:10 AM
Damn that is a big bear. It has to be a Kodiak. Those bears routinely get over 1200 lbs. There have been several that have weighed in at more than 1500 lbs. The one in the photo definitly has to be a record or close to it. One swipe with that paw and its lights out. That dude is lucky. eek!
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

JetBoatRich
12-19-2002, 04:27 AM
Holy Shit, that thing is huge?
Is it Real?

snappertapper
12-19-2002, 04:40 AM
Yes i think it is real i seem to remember hearing something about it in a hunting magazine

XTRM22
12-19-2002, 06:14 AM
I got that picture e-mailed to me too, I'm pretty sure it's for real. I don't know anybody that would set out to hunt one of those monsters with a 7mag but bullet placement is what it's all about, like froggy said it's the concusion on the organs and the force of the impact. I know a couple guides who carry lever action 45-70's for there ability to throw a weiner size bullet with a lot of ftlbs of impact but still nothing compared to todays belted magnums. Grizzlys, Kodiacs and Alaskan Brown bears are all the same basic species Kodiacs and Alskan Browns being identical, grizzlys are smaller on the average. One of my buddies killed an Alaskan Brown a few years back that stood a little over 9 ft, with a 338 Win Mag. Still that's one big F*&@ng Bear!
Chuck

STV_Keith
12-19-2002, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I remember seeing those pics. Happened about 2 yrs ago. The guy in the pic is a friend of a friend.

canuck1
12-19-2002, 10:11 AM
XTRM said it right the 45-70 is my choice for the back country and it will stop what you can hit

RandyH
12-19-2002, 10:43 AM
Oh man, the Bears Nose is as big as the guys head. I would have to clean out my pants after that deal. Can you imagine that Bear charging you and being able to get off four good shots.

Licketty Split
12-19-2002, 10:50 AM
And the f*%king animal rites activist's want you to carry pepper spray eek! F that If I go to Alaska I'm packing a mini-gun and a couple grenades

RandyH
12-19-2002, 10:58 AM
Here is the real story behind this page. SOme of the hardware is better defined.
http://forum.hunting.net/bbs/topic.asp?whichpage=1&ARCHIVEVIEW=&TOPIC_ID=47662
http://www.snopes.com/photos/deadbear.htm
Still a great Big Bear.
:cool: :cool: