PDA

View Full Version : Boat upbringings???

Blown 472
12-19-2002, 01:20 PM
Did any of you buy the style of boat because your dad had one?? ie jet, ob, vdrive??? or for other reasons??

78Eliminator
12-19-2002, 01:41 PM
Blown 472:
Did any of you buy the style of boat because your dad had one?? ie jet, ob, vdrive??? or for other reasons??I grew up with outboards, but when we would cruise out and I would see all the blown jets out at the river, I would get a woody. I always wanted one, but it wasn't my dad's style so I had to wait. Now I got one, but it's broken again...

Blown 472
12-19-2002, 01:52 PM
You got it ripped apart??

78Eliminator
12-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Blown 472:
You got it ripped apart??Not yet. Need to redo the jet.

24RODjr
12-19-2002, 01:59 PM
Does it count that I bought mine with my dad?
I bought this one because we had done the flatty "thing", done the family bow-rider "thing"
Just seemed like the next logical step :-)
I guess the off-shore "thing" is next :D

24RODjr
12-19-2002, 02:01 PM
78Eliminator:
got one, but it's broken again...Is this where the "burninator" thing comes from?

HCS
12-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Totally, My old man and his buddys all had flat v-drives and direct drives, Century, Chriscraft, and Trogan boats. Everything had a prop back then.
So that's what I got a prop boat. :rolleyes:

Seadog
12-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Growing up, all the boats I dealt with were muscle propelled. I'm a wicked canoeist. 15 years ago, my wife talked me into a 24' pontoon and we've owned one ever since. :cool:

mbrown2
12-19-2002, 02:50 PM
No...I grew up with Dad in 78 Southwind/Jacuzzi Jet/454BBC, then Dad bought a 23 Ft Sleekcraft (Jet), and then had a 26 Ft Sleekcraft built (I/O), then a 21 Lavey Open Bow I/O, then a 28 Ft Sleekcraft Enforcer I/O along with 68 Hondo Flatty...My first boat 13 years ago was a 20'Hi-Tech Outboard..second was an Eliminator 23 (I/O), and now the DCB (I/0)....I loved my Dad's boats, but I always wanted a Cat outboard...

24RODjr
12-19-2002, 05:02 PM
RiverDave:
24RODjr:
78Eliminator:
got one, but it's broken again...Is this where the "burninator" thing comes from?The burninator comes from a small carbuerator problem he had. wink :D
RD Was it small enough to engulf his boat? :D

sandblasted
12-19-2002, 07:59 PM
I grew up around an old 18 ft Glastron with an outboard...Named Ole Yellow! My dad and his buddy bought it and used it for fishing and drinking.. I think they paid $500 for it back in 1976.
We took that ugly piece of crap all over California and to willow Beach on the colorado river..some of the best times i ever had as a teenager!
Got into jet boats after riding in my buddies 21ft Ultra 4 years ago....Liked it so much I went out and bought my own Ultra!

Windy
12-19-2002, 08:26 PM
My dads boat was/is an outboard...my boyfriends boat is a jet wink
MissHBjet

68campbell
12-19-2002, 09:18 PM
My Dad raced jets...God I'm glad I got the V-Drive gene from my mom!

Jrocket
12-19-2002, 09:20 PM
68campbell:
My Dad raced jets...God I'm glad I got the V-Drive gene from my mom! LMAO....Good one :p

Rod-64
12-19-2002, 11:31 PM
No one in my family had boats, but coming from Rhode Island, I need my water fix...so 4 years ago I went to the Boat Brokers in Havasu, saw a nice Baja with 48 hrs on it and "jerked off" with the salesman for 2 hrs and she was mine....out of all the other shit I've owned..snomobiles..atcs and whatnot..this is the life.....

ACCEPTENCE
12-19-2002, 11:41 PM
Never been in a boat untill the age of eighteen. Went for a ride with a friend once upon a time and was hooked. Knew I had to have one of these Mad Machines. Never looked back or counted the wasted money dumped into the boats I've owned...
Glade to be a water (river) person :)

HM
12-20-2002, 12:00 AM
My dad had a couple cracker boxes before my time. He bought an IMP for family use. One of my older brother's freind came on a river trip with my family. He had a Sanger flatty v-drive. I was only 8, but knew that was what I had to have.
The funny thing is that when I got my current boat, my dad got into and so did my brother. Now we are a family of v-drivers. All of them blown. But I have the only flat.

Tom Brown
12-20-2002, 12:03 AM
My Dad is a contractor. I used to work for him when I was younger. One of the suppliers had a guy who worked the counter who had a 1977 CVX-16 with a 1977 Mercury 1500. He went on about how badly overpowered it was and he had to keep it down to 60, etc., etc. I always loved that boat and so did my Dad.
The first boat I owned by myself was a 1977 CVX-16 with a 1977 Mercury 1500 on it. In perfect tune, it did 49 mph with an aluminum prop. With a chopper prop and jack plate, I have no doubt it would have gone 60 mph wound right out. It became obvious, however, that old Tony was full of shit.
Since then, I've beaten a few 90 mph jet boats with my 70 mph outboard (I put an XR-4 on it two years ago). Apparently, jets have a lot of impeller problems that keep them from hitting top speed when racing a faster boat. I'm sure we've all been there.
This summer, my Dad and I tore the old CVX right down and totally restored it. I lightened it a bit and made some modifications such as a Hydrostream Vector/V-King style pad and some other stuff. It was a ton of fun. I've always worked well with my Dad but this project really brought us together. I can't wait to tear into a full restore on his boat in 2003.
-- Tom
[ December 20, 2002, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

Tom Brown
12-20-2002, 12:08 AM
[ December 20, 2002, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

HM
12-20-2002, 12:11 AM
Tom Brown:
. Now I'm offended. :D

DUCKY
12-20-2002, 12:27 AM
I grew up on a 1974 Fantasy Jetboat. Originally powered by a 327 Chevy/berkeley combo with blue, gold and silver metal-flake. After my Mom's lead foot killed the 327, my Dad made some pump and bottom upgrades and added a Place Diverter (Mid 80's) and went to an 11:1 460 Ford built to George Striegel's specs. The boat ran 81 on radar. Got ahold of some bad fuel at Lake Carlisle in Illinois and detonated 5 pistons! Dad tore it down and rebuilt it with 9:1 pistons and it only lost 2mph. My brothers and I all learned how to ski and knee-board behind it and I used to sleep under the deck. When Dad would shut off the engine, I would wake up! Dad sold it in favor of a 21' Hallet v-drive when I was 17 because he said he always wanted a v-drive cruiser, and his new wife wouldn't ride in it. My first boat was a v-drive 1960 Biesemeyer Hydro that I bought when I was 18. Then a Placecraft Tunnel with 2.4L Merc, then a 19' Laser with the same motor and now I'm back to a v-drive. That's my (life) story and I'm stickin to it. :D

dankirk
12-20-2002, 12:36 AM
Blown 472
Did any of you buy the style of boat because your dad had one?? ie jet, ob, vdrive??? or for other reasons?? Yes. I actually boat my dad's old boat back from a family friend.

78Eliminator
12-20-2002, 09:51 AM
MissHBjet:
MissHBjet Aren't you and HB highschool sweethearts?

HavasuDreamin'
12-20-2002, 09:59 AM
78Eliminator
I always wanted one, but it wasn't my dad's style so I had to wait. Now I got one, but it's broken again... [/QB]My dad had a jet boat in the 70's/early 80's. It was always broken. :(
I have an O/B tunnel now. :D

Her454
12-20-2002, 09:59 AM
my dad had a jet, brothers had v-drives. grew up around them both, but nothing beat you to death, like the ride of a flat.... wink

HCS
12-20-2002, 10:05 AM
Her454:
my dad had a jet, brothers had v-drives. grew up around them both, but nothing beat you to death, like the ride of a flat.... wink LOL, I grew up with flats, they were great on smooth water but beat the family to death on choppy water, and the boat. :cool:

Riverhound
12-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Pops raced endurance flat bottoms back in the day. Went the faimly route and parked the flat and bought a jet. We had a Nordic 18 jet and a Sanger 19 Bubble deck jet.
I found his 64 Kindsvater flat race boat in some guys back yard a couple of years ago and got it back. Now its just waiting to be put back together.
Of course my first boat was a 21 Tahiti jet.

hd&boatrider
12-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Pops never had a boat. With 10 brothers and sisters we did not have luxury items sitting around. Yes, boating is a luxury :) . Anyhow, my first was a 18', 78 Eliminator, jet with a beefed up 454. Yellow and blue. It was a beautiful boat and ran great. Low maintainence. We used to use an old engine head as our anchor...lol It sure turned a lot of heads as we kept it shiny as hell. Good memories

beached1
12-20-2002, 03:35 PM
I came from riding and racing stand up PWCs. I've always teased friends that rode sit downs that they should get a real sit down, a boat. So, when it came time for me to hang it up. That's what I did. I got a boat.

Dribble
12-20-2002, 05:21 PM
We couldn't afford a boat.

Beautiful Noise
12-20-2002, 05:24 PM
My Dad had a 37 1/2mph Outboard,Damn just my Luck my Boat isn't any faster it must be the Old Hand me down prop I'am using :)
Steve

Morg
12-20-2002, 06:47 PM
One of my earliest memories was getting pulled away from my uncle's boat while he was warming it up at the shop. I just had to be as close as I possibly could. By the way it was a blown injected hemi, on alcohol.
The family ski boat was a 77 sanger ski hydro. Learned to ski behind that boat.
I like to call it family tradition. My wife calls it a hobby. (or pain in the ass & or birth defect)
I don't feel alive unless my hairs on fire, going 100mph in a v-drive.
Morg.
[ December 20, 2002, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Morg ]

12-20-2002, 08:06 PM
Morg, If your hair is on fire that will really make you feel alive if only for a couple of seconds eek! But if running a buck+ in a flat doesn't get your blood pumping then call the undertaker 'cause you are dead!

DaveA
12-20-2002, 08:24 PM
Blown 472:
Did any of you buy the style of boat because your dad had one?? ie jet, ob, vdrive??? or for other reasons?? Dad raced outboard runabouts in the early fifties while in the Air Force down in Biloxi MS. Had a scar from his neck to his crack from getting pitched out and getting ripped over the Kiekaefer #1 spark plug as he exited.
So did we have performance boats when I was a kid?
No.
He did decide that family togetherness was enhanced by boating, and bought a beeyootifull 64 or 65 Grady White 17' runabout. Mahogany deck and lapstrake hull. Even the windshield frame was mahogany! Came with a 50 Johnson, but since it wouldn't quite pull him out of the water slalom, he decided 'Mo Power' and bought one of the first 100hp Johnsons that came to North Carolina. Gawd, did I think that thing would run! Had braggin' rights among all the kiddies whose families had their trailers down at the Plant Marshall Steam Station hot-hole. WE had a 100 on OUR boat....
What do I have now? Well, since my childhood asthma/bronchial problems were partially due to prolonged exposure to incomplete hydrocarbon combustion (smokin' weedwackas) I now have a couple of them car-motor-boats.
I know, I know....more than you needed to know.
:rolleyes:
DaveA

bigerich
12-20-2002, 10:08 PM
Still use dads boat, Jets my whole life. Dad brought home the first jet boat about two months before I was born, I wouldn't have 'em any other way!!!!!

Tom Brown
12-21-2002, 04:01 PM
Dribble:
We couldn't afford a boat. I still can't.

Jrocket
12-21-2002, 07:27 PM
I have always bought the best....... :D
http://www.nashvilleportraits.com/ebay/mercedesboat1.jpg

Windy
12-21-2002, 07:31 PM
78Eliminator:
MissHBjet:
MissHBjet Aren't you and HB highschool sweethearts? Nope not us.

beyondhelpin
12-22-2002, 12:29 PM
I grew up with a family cabin on a lake that you could not have anything above a 9.9 horse. Thats plenty for perch jerking! Must be why I love my big block!

mud duck
12-22-2002, 04:52 PM
My parents had a tri-hull w/80 HP Merc clamp-on. I learned to water ski behind it at age 7, but eventally I wanted more speed. Saw my first boat race & water ski show at age 9, and found out how much I liked V8's. However, my dad would never spring for the extra expense. So, my boat is nothing like what I grew up with. :D

disco_charger
12-22-2002, 05:23 PM
With these boats in my past, you'd think I was the owner of some really fast boats.
http://free.***boat.net/Gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Beis.JPG
This was my fathers Beismeyer. He flipped it in Parker in 1978. It was pretty fast for a 396, and to this day my Fathers favorite boat. I love them too, but want more than two seats. He sold the boat and bought his first jet.
http://free.***boat.net/Gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Nile.JPG
This was my Fathers first Jet. I think he got it in 1978 or 1979. It's a Hallet Sprint. He ended up Bracket Racing it for a while in the NJBA. Back then they went by MPH, not seconds, and he was eventually ended up in the 90-95 MPH bracket with this boat. The bare hull weighed 850 lbs. He sold it in 1984 or 1985. Two guys fought in our Driveway over it. If my Dad could find this boat again, he'd buy it back, unless I saw it first. Last time we heard about it, it was in the San Diego area.
http://free.***boat.net/Gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Flyer.JPG
This was the Comp Jet 470 boat. It's a Bahner Tunnel. He was High Points in this boat a couple of times in the NJBA. It was silly light, but it worked.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Lagoon.JPG
This is where I am now. It's for sale, and somehow I get the feeling I'm going to miss her and regret letting her go...It's hard to get rid of a boat that gave you almost no trouble and lots of great memories.
Disco
[ December 23, 2002, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: disco_charger ]

77charger
12-22-2002, 06:48 PM
my dad bought his first boat when i was 4 it was a glastron tri hull with a johson o/b was only like a 15 ft boat.After a couple of years it got to small so he then bought this 19 ft jet in 79 that i grew up(that is me behind my dad driving) with and took it over about 10 years ago it has been redone and looks nothing like that now and now my brother is the new owner(the one in the pass seat)He has two kids so he can raise them around boats too.Has been in family since my dad bought it
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/77charger11.JPG