PDA

View Full Version : 21.5 Omega, Anyone know anything about this boat or the company

JoMon4Fun
09-23-2003, 11:52 AM
I just bought this 21.6 Omega Jet Boat with a 460. Any one know anything about this boat or the company that built it?
It needs some new windshields, where do I find those low smoked Plexiglas windscreens?
ItÂ’s a cool boatÂ….. after a winter of work and a suit case full of money. Anything you guys know about Omega would be great.
Thanks Joe
[ September 23, 2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: JoMon4Fun ]

eliminatedsprinter
09-23-2003, 12:19 PM
My understanding is they made mostly entry level jet boats. I read about them in a response to a letter in HB mag. The editor said that many models were not fully stringered, so you should check the stringers before adding any serious power.
P.S. A fellow in my neighborhood has a 20 ft Omega (with a small block and a stern drive) for sale. It's a nice looking rig, but it has a couple of minor probs and he is asking too much for it.
[ September 23, 2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

Metal_King
09-23-2003, 01:25 PM
the first boat I was ever in was my dad's 1975 18' OMEGA ski boat with the old red/orange metal flake on white for the most part.
I loved that boat. He had a 454 LS6 with the old Drake jet drive in it. As far as where they are even located I have no clue. I'm assuming they are reputable since they have been around since AT LEAST 1975.

eliminatedsprinter
09-23-2003, 01:46 PM
I stated above they made mostly entry level jets. It is also my understanding that they did make some really nice quality custom boats as well. I read that the way to tell is to check if it is fully stringered. If it is, it is one of their better customs.

Ken F
09-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Joe,
I've got a '77 21.5 "Suncatcher" (bowrider).
It has only one stringer down the center to the bilge, then two stringers back from that point.
Omega is again in business, after a "bankruptcy hiatias" of several years. New ownership, with the original founder of the company in some sort of management position.
Omega Powerboats Inc.
10594 Rose Ave
Montclair, Calif.
909-624-5112
Any plexiglass shop should be able to make you new windshields for around $100. Take them your old pieces, and they should be able to make you up some new ones.
I was just able to get mine up to 74.3 mph with mega work & money. In all honesty, much of the credit and knowhow has to go to Duane Oblander at Hi-tech performance in Wichita Ks. I put in a lot of work, such as new floor, stringers, interior, blueprinted the bottom and removed a major hook. Duane all of the set-up work, and pump building.
Here are a few old pics:
<http://www.angelfire.com/mo3/Omega>

C-2
09-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Keep asking questions regarding what you have, the knowledge on here is great. Maybe expand your search to other forums as well.
Regarding the "new" company, do a search of these boards. My neighbor called the "new" company and after being pestered over the phone for six months, had to threaten the "original" guy with an ass-whooping if he didn't stop calling. eek! eek!
Yikes!

Outnumbered
09-23-2003, 09:37 PM
JoMon4Fun:
I just bought this 21.6 Omega Jet Boat with a 460. Any one know anything about this boat or the company that built it?
It needs some new windshields, where do I find those low smoked Plexiglas windscreens?
ItÂ’s a cool boatÂ….. after a winter of work and a suit case full of money. Anything you guys know about Omega would be great.
Thanks Joe Welcome to the boards Joe :cool:
Wayne Earl Mfg is one of the long time plexi winshield manufacturers that is still around. They did Laveys, Coles, and a bunch of other custom builders back in the day. They did an A+ job on my new windshields via phone and mail. Chances are they will have the old pattern. If not, they can make anything to spec. They can even copy your old one. Call Michelle at 714-577-0632. Mine were less than $300 (3 years ago) to my door with new hardware and gaskets. They're in OC.
Good luck with the new boat,
OL

JESSE
09-23-2003, 10:14 PM
I have just bought a new boat from theme it is not done yet he told me it would be ready on 10-6 or so he is ok but since i bought the boat i have heard bad things about theme so i guess i will have to see if you call him i sure he will tell you about the boat you have he likes to tallk about the good old days the # is 909 685 9607

v-drive
09-24-2003, 05:24 AM
My son (Bowtie Omega) has his at havasu barney's as we speak and everyone is right. His stringers went up to the steering wheel and then stopped. Barney has completely re-done the boat minus rigging and it's beautiful, expensive but beautiful none the less. go to his website and take a look. HavasuBarney.com....v-drive