PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Paint

kevnmcd
02-24-2003, 10:30 AM
I am going to be painting my trailer this weekend and wanted to know which paint is the best bang for the buck? It never sees salt...fresh only. What have you guys used that has stood the test of time? Thanks.

HotHallet
02-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Kevin- Just painted mine with DuPont Imron. Great paint that is solid and resists chipping.

Jordy
02-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Strip it down and have it powder coated. :D

miller19j
02-24-2003, 10:56 AM
I just redid mine with PPG Omni. It was recommended to me by my boat builder. He has been using it for a while and had good results. It seemed to cover real well and was pretty easy to spray.
http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/505/141trailer4-med.JPG
PS I posted a picture because I wanted to play with the new image gallery.

kevnmcd
02-24-2003, 11:10 AM
I have heard that I should ask for fuel resistant paint so that if I spilled some fuel while filling the tanks that it wouldn't eat the paint. Do most paints have this in them? Do I need to ask about it? What did you guys do?

kevnmcd
02-24-2003, 11:12 AM
jordanpaulk:
Strip it down and have it powder coated. :D You know, Jordy...it worthless comments/posts like this that give you the title of "Post *****"! :D

miller19j
02-24-2003, 11:15 AM
kevnmcd:
I have heard that I should ask for fuel resistant paint so that if I spilled some fuel while filling the tanks that it wouldn't eat the paint. Do most paints have this in them? Do I need to ask about it? What did you guys do? The fuel thing did not even cross my mind. But I hate the smell of it so I try not to spill it at all.
I would bet that most paints would be fine if you wipe it off pretty quickly. Omni is a automotive paint and people drip fuel on their car all the time so I would bet that it is fuel resistant. But I don’t know for sure.

Jordy
02-24-2003, 11:19 AM
kevnmcd:
You know, Jordy...it worthless comments/posts like this that give you the title of "Post *****"! :D How is that worthless? It's being done more and more and if you're looking for something that will last for a long time there it is.
If I was shooting for something worthless I would have told you to use Krylon.
[ February 24, 2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: jordanpaulk ]

kevnmcd
02-24-2003, 11:32 AM
jordanpaulk:
How is that worthless? It's being done more and more and if you're looking for something that will last for a long time there it is.
If I was shooting for something worthless I would have told you to use Krylon. My sincere appology there Jordy. I thought you were trying to be a smartass. I believe that is would be extremely expensive to have an older trailer powder coated...that and I would have to remove everything that wasn't metal. Thanks for the advise...however, I think I will stick with the old fashioned way and just spray it on. :)

Jordy
02-24-2003, 11:39 AM
In that case, go with the Krylon. They make a bitchin' chrome spray paint and a chrome trailer would be sweet, especially in So. Cal. Then you could get some curb feelers and a couple bull or cow stickers. Sweet. :D
Actually, powder coating, while more expensive than paint, probably would cost under a grand to have done and it would look killer as they can do all kinds of cool stuff with it these days. Just a thought.
[ February 24, 2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: jordanpaulk ]

kevnmcd
02-24-2003, 11:48 AM
A GRAND!!!! I can buy a gallon and will have plenty left over for about $75. And as for the Krylon....NOT!!!! :D

beer hunter
02-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Kevin, just paint it rattle-can white then sell it eek! Your new boat won't fit on the old trailer anyway :D

kevnmcd
02-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Maybe you could paint it for me since you have so much time on your hands. :rolleyes:

disco_charger
02-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Hey Kevin, where are you going to paint it at?

kevnmcd
02-25-2003, 09:44 PM
DC-My father-in-law is going to do the spraying at his shop in Escondido (North San Diego County). He does a lot of car restoring for a hobby and has a better spraying hand than I do. I will just be the "boy". Preping, taping, getting beers...that kind of stuff. The only catch is the weather. We will have to start early enough to allow it to dry because I will have to wire it up before I bring it home that day. :mad: He doesn't have enough room to store it there. Why do you ask?
P.S. I pick up some Dupont Industrial 333 (Imron). They said that it is a real durable paint and should last...that is until I sell it! jawdrop
[ February 25, 2003, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: kevnmcd ]

NashvilleBound
02-26-2003, 12:14 PM
jordanpaulk:
kevnmcd:
You know, Jordy...it worthless comments/posts like this that give you the title of "Post *****"! :D How is that worthless? It's being done more and more and if you're looking for something that will last for a long time there it is.
If I was shooting for something worthless I would have told you to use Krylon. Thats some funny Sh*t! Leave it to Jordy!
Kevin, Hows all the parts coming together?
Sounds like your getting close, just in time for summer.
MJ....nice trailer. Wheres the sled? Or do you really even own one? :D

HotHallet
02-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Kevin- I would paint it with DuPont Imron. A few friends of mine painted their trailers with this years ago and they still look great.As for the fuel thing as long as you get it wiped off right away you should be fine. With regards to powdercoating it is extremely expensive and on these old trailer where the joints come together most trailer companies used bondo. If you do not want the lines where the metal comes together Bondo will have to be re-applied after sandblasting and once you put it in the powdercoating booth and the oven is cranked up the bondo will fall right off. I was going to powdercoat mine and decided not to due to this problem. Just use a good paint. I got mine from Finish Master in Gardena, California. Talk to Dave over there and tell him I sent you.

miller19j
02-26-2003, 12:58 PM
NashvilleBound:
MJ....nice trailer. Wheres the sled? Or do you really even own one? :D Jeff,
Sled?????? If you are referring to the boat. I don’t have one I just pull my truck and trailer to the lake and find the nicest looking boat at the dock and stand by it. Then all the chicks think its mine. :D wink

NashvilleBound
02-26-2003, 02:43 PM
LOL....Too funny. Thats about what I figured you would say :rolleyes:

riverdog
02-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Kevin, Imron 333 is a very good choice. It is made for industrial applications such as roller coasters and bridges. It has excellent color and gloss retention and better abrasion resistance than Automotive coatings. It can also be clear coated with Imron 610p or 611P clear. The cost is about 1/3 of automotive finishes. It can be rolled, sprayed or brushed. The down side is it is only available in solid colors. Another good option is PPG Omni MCV. If you have any questions just ask, I sell both of them.

LUVNLIFE
02-26-2003, 07:13 PM
Kevin, mine is the Dupont and so far so good.

rustyk
02-26-2003, 07:19 PM
The one downfall to imron period is isocynates. And have you ever seen an eighteen wheeler with no rock chips on the front, NOT! Imron is on most all big trucks, There is no flex in that paint when totally cured. I did paint a jeep body that was fiberglass and we had to put one coat of special sealer on it to make it flexable, It seemed to work that way but that is fiberglass. If you don't think im right just ask someone that buffs, and tell them to paint your car with imron and tell them you want them to buff it on a regular basis to keep it looking new they will tell you otherwise.
Rusty

rustyk
02-26-2003, 07:20 PM
miller19j:
I just redid mine with PPG Omni. It was recommended to me by my boat builder. He has been using it for a while and had good results. It seemed to cover real well and was pretty easy to spray.
http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/505/141trailer4-med.JPG
PS I posted a picture because I wanted to play with the new image gallery.

riverdog
02-26-2003, 07:27 PM
rustyk, I dont think omni is iso free.

kevnmcd
02-26-2003, 08:08 PM
NB-I have the brakes already on there. Haven't been able to see the diff between disc and drum yet because I haven't had the boat on there yet. I am sure there will be a huge difference, though. Thanks, again. :)

kevnmcd
02-26-2003, 08:12 PM
riverdog:
Kevin, Imron 333 is a very good choice. It is made for industrial applications such as roller coasters and bridges. It has excellent color and gloss retention and better abrasion resistance than Automotive coatings. It can also be clear coated with Imron 610p or 611P clear. The cost is about 1/3 of automotive finishes. It can be rolled, sprayed or brushed. The down side is it is only available in solid colors. Another good option is PPG Omni MCV. If you have any questions just ask, I sell both of them. Riverdog-That is what they told me too about this stuff. I am not planning on clear coating it though...don't want to get too out of control on a 21 year old trailer. wink I am thinking that disc brakes, tires/wheels, wiring, led lights, and new carpet should be enough. :D

riverdog
02-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Kevin, who did you talk to?

kevnmcd
02-26-2003, 08:36 PM
riverdog-I bought my stuff from Senik in Costa Mesa. They are the ones that told about it and said that it would be good for my applications.
[ February 26, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: kevnmcd ]

riverdog
02-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Kevin, the people at Senic a good folks. I know a few of their sales people. I worked with them at Finishmaster. I also bought from senic when I painted in OC.

kevnmcd
02-27-2003, 07:40 AM
They were very helpful and seemed to be knowledgable.