PDA

View Full Version : potential find

fatalbert
02-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Sorry for seeking so much advice on boats, but... came across a 1984 Nordic Viking, 23' 350, volvo, one owner; someday i'll learn how to post pics, but it is at iboats.com under Nordic. Claims one owner, pic looks great; going to call tomorrow to see what I can learn; just in case anyone has time for an opinion.
thanks
srs

JetBoatRich
02-11-2003, 08:59 PM
This one?
http://www.iboats.com/sites/bgsm/site_page_1916/images/l_P7270025.jpg

fatalbert
02-11-2003, 09:10 PM
That be the one!
thanks
srs

JetBoatRich
02-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Looks like the gel coat needs work, what are your plans?

fatalbert
02-11-2003, 09:24 PM
To find a daycruiser for this season, that will make it through without any major problems, and next winter if it needs mechanical/cosmetics, hit it at that time.
If it were a 26' Viking, I'd be on the road right now. For some reason I really like the daycruiser style (Noridc, SleekCraft, Hawaiian) and the 26' will haul scuba gear, coolers, kids (in that order eek! )and still be comfortable.
Used to paint cars for a living, even worked in a Kenworth truck dealership for a year, so not afraid of fglass and the elbow grease; built enough small block chevy's that you would think I would be smart enogh to pay someone else to do it for me, but still haven't learned.
So,want to keep initial purchase under 10K, want daycruiser style,and would like a 26'. The Nordic looks nice enough that I could start with that. I noticed the fading colors, especially where the deflector is missing, and fading in a few other places.
Not to boooooorrrr everyone to death, but that's the scoop.
thanks for the assistance.
srs

NEW 2 RIVER
02-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Dont be sorry for seeking advice here.Thats what this place is for.This one is a lot nicer looking than the last one.Dont think I have ever seen a throttle mounted that high.Hope it works out for you this time. :)

fatalbert
02-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Page 5 on this forum, First Time boat purchase, a response by rootswear, provides pics of several older manufacturers; it happens to have a 23' Viking, and those factory pictures show throttle in the same location. It caught my attention too. The Nordic form/shape is starting to get my attention a little more than the SleekCrafts.
fyi/thanks
srs

JetBoatRich
02-11-2003, 09:42 PM
You have potential with this one, that is why I wonder what you plans are. You taking a serious look or just looking?

fatalbert
02-11-2003, 09:59 PM
I know I'm not shopping the right way, but I want to have one in my hands by April 11, 2003. That's the kids spring break and we're spending 10 days at the river. I have never taken a vacation with my kids during the school year, and I'm trying to catch up on lost time before they are out of the house (11, 9, 6).
So yes, the Spectra that was being kicked around this past week has sold. There are a few Sleeks over in Arizona, if I can ever get the owners to return my calls (chances are they are sold from my experience)and the 3' difference between the Sleeks and this Nordic is not a deal killer for me or the kids.
If I thought I would come across a 26'(no jets) between now and April I would wait. But with all the boats sales sites I search every night, I'm just night finding one.
And I'm on a mission; get a #%&@^&#& boat so that we get away from the house, the office, and spend time with the kids doing something fun without any interruptions.
Serious, you bet.
thanks for listing boxed

JetBoatRich
02-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Were here for you, you need to vent this could be the place argue

Ian
02-11-2003, 11:31 PM
That looks like a cool boat, but then again there is a special place in my heart for old daycruisers. Nordic made a good boat and from what I hear the volvo outdrive is plenty durable. If you want my opinion I would go for the 23 footer over the 26, a 26 ft boat with a small block will be a pig. My last boat was a 23ft sleekcraft with a 350 alpha 1 combo, with eight people it would top out at about 45mph, not too bad, and it pulled wakeboarders and tubers no problem. Believe it or not I had 14 people crammed in my sleekcraft once and I still got it too plane!

HavasuDreamin'
02-12-2003, 05:58 AM
We had a 26' Nordic Viking Daycruiser in the family for about 10 years. GREAT BOAT! It appears as though this one is missing the reverse style winshield which is why the throttle looks like it is mounted so high. It looks like the gel could be rubbed out. If the boat is in good condition, and the motor/drive are fine, I would say go for it. Check for rotting wood in or near the transom and where the batteries are mounted (under seat right in front of engine cover).
The Volvo drive is bullet proof, although not very fast. It can handle some power. Good Luck