PDA

View Full Version : I Had A Little Scare Tonight.

DansBlown73Nordic
10-16-2003, 03:51 PM
I drop my daughter off at soccer practice. She is seven years old. So I drive down the road a mile to pick-up dinner. I come back to the soccer field. Its been about 15 minutes. I look all over the field for her and the team. Not a one of them to be found. About then some girl comes along and says practice was cancelled.... eek! So I drive home thinking I will find a message on the answering machine. Where my daughter is.
I finally call the coach who I find out is out of town. Come to find out he had a 18 year old girl coaching tonight. She decided to move the practice up the road to another field. burningm
So in the end all was well.... :rolleyes:

H20 Party Starter
10-16-2003, 03:54 PM
where is this 18 year old with soccer legs.............I'll teach her a lesson or two :D

Kilrtoy
10-16-2003, 03:57 PM
Not to bust your balls,
But seven years old and you just left her.......
In a park..........
ALONE
I'm confused about this one.....

DansBlown73Nordic
10-16-2003, 03:59 PM
It is a soccer field at the school. Its not a park.

Her454
10-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Kilrtoy:
Not to bust your balls,
But seven years old and you just left her.......
In a park..........
ALONE
I'm confused about this one..... Ditto on that.... I would NEVER leave a 7 year old....period. Maybe your scared enough now that you wont either. wink

DansBlown73Nordic
10-16-2003, 04:03 PM
Well in the past I never worried about it. we live in the middle of Knowwhere.....So its never been an issue. If that makes sense?

Mr.Havasu
10-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi Dan,
It's alot different on the west coast than your rural area. But times are changing and it's better to be safe than sorry. Watch out for your little ones they can't be replaced.

FMluvswater
10-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Why didn't the coach inform the parents of the change in location? Dan did what he usually does and it usually is okay he dropped his daughter off at the correct location to the best of his knowledge .. I think it was irresponsible of the coach and of the replacement coach to not keep the parents informed. Just my .02.

chub
10-16-2003, 04:32 PM
It's f'd up we on the west coast feel this way but but you gotta be sharp here. Unfortunatly kids come up "missing." I'm glad your youngin is well. :D

Ziggy
10-16-2003, 04:39 PM
ya know, even with my daughters soccer team(she's 10) at least 50% of the parents drop-n-go...its a shame that they actually consider it like a 1 1/2 hour daycare situation....and the coach has to sit there with them til the(sometimes an hour) late parents decide to show up. Never a thanks either for watching over them.
Sounds like Dans situation was that the coach didn't properly inform his teams' parents. That's not right and then to put some 18 yr old in charge of them to boot who randomly decided to move practice elsewhere????? She's the one who should be chastized.

MANIC MECHANIC
10-16-2003, 08:05 PM
I may be overly cautious, but even here in WV I always find and talk to, the person that is taking charge of my children, if I'm not going to stay, to find out what's what and what time they expect to be done. Better safe than sorry! I'm glad everything turned out OK Dan! Tim.
[ October 16, 2003, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: MANIC MECHANIC ]

JetBoatRich
10-16-2003, 08:15 PM
First off I am glad it turned out ok and don't want to beat anybody up. The least a parent could do is check in with the coach and make sure they are there and let them know what is going on.
I help coach my son's football team, twice a week we have practice. Kids 7-9 years old, I look around during practice and only a few parents are there out of 16 kids. Practice is over at 7, I can not believe how many parents drive up and pick up there kids, some up to 15 minutes late :D
I coached T-Ball last year, different crowd, almost every parent hung out and enjoyed practice.

MJ19
10-16-2003, 08:51 PM
WOW...I'm glad all is well in the end...that could be VERY scary!!! eek!
My aunt once gave my cousin instructions to walk to our grandmother's house after football practice (grandma lives one block down from the field) my cousin forgot and hitched a ride from the coach home...my aunt was FREAKED out and had the whole family out looking all over and calling everyone hoping to find my cousin...meanwhile he's at home happy as a clam totally unaware of how freaked his family was all because kids will be kids.
I guess those scary things happen to remind us how much we love our families and how lost we'd be without them. :)

eliminatedsprinter
10-17-2003, 08:02 AM
I stay at practice with my son. I have left to do short errands, but only after informing the coaches where I was going and how soon I'd be back. But we live in the S.F. Valley and many parents just drop their kids off at the park for practice and games and I know of at least couple of kids who walk or ride their bikes to practice.
P.S. It might suprise many, but the child abduction rates are pretty much the same as they were 30 or 40 years ago. It's just that our population is higher, thus is the total number. Plus there is more media attention givin to this problem today. Somthing I have heard called by a term I like "acute awareness of a chronic problem".
[ October 17, 2003, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

Just Tool'n
10-17-2003, 09:27 AM
We live 3 doors down from the school.
I will not ever let my 2 boys walk down to school without me.
They are 4 & 5 years old, we live in the best part of town.
Just 4 weeks ago a guy gets off of the city bus, my wife see him walk buy the school, 30 minutes later he has broken into a house 4 blocks over & steals guns, barracd's himself in. 3 day stand-off with the police.
So even if you live in the best part of town, you just dont know.

MJ19
10-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Just Tool'n:
We live 3 doors down from the school.
I will not ever let my 2 boys walk down to school without me.
They are 4 & 5 years old, we live in the best part of town.
Just 4 weeks ago a guy gets off of the city bus, my wife see him walk buy the school, 30 minutes later he has broken into a house 4 blocks over & steals guns, barracd's himself in. 3 day stand-off with the police.
So even if you live in the best part of town, you just dont know. Isn't that a shame...I remember riding my bike across Santa Barbara as a child (maybe 7 years old) to go to the beach for a while or hang out with friends and watch a movie on State Street...Times have changed! frown

LHC30Victory
10-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Glad to hear of the happy ending! So many others turn out not so well.
I remember "misplacing" one of my boys some years ago - he did not take the right school bus.
I called the sheriff and everything. My anxietey was HUGE! It even carries over to this day when I end up searching for children of others.
For all those who leave your children with coaches, scout leaders etc, make sure they are there before you leave and be prompt (or early) on your return.