PDA

View Full Version : Galaxie Boats?????

PussyPusher
01-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Ok does anybody know anything about Galaxie Boats? Do you own one/Have pics? I like the style but would like to know more about them
Thanks
Shawn

btbuilder2
01-04-2003, 05:43 PM
i used to work for galaxie, about 10 or so years ago,when they had there main factory down in anahiem calif, my personal thoughts on there boats are, for one they are choppered sprayed and not hand layed hulls,the craftmanship, of the work done on the boats,to me where very pour,most of the wood in the boats where not sealed well,and aloud rot to set in faster, i could go on and on,if you are looking for a big budget boat and not worried about it falling apart that would be the boat to get!!!!! galaxie used to build fantasy boats also back in the 60's and 70's ,, the owners of galaxie and fantasy where the potts i dont remember the old mans name, but his son's name is brett, i am not sure if they are still making boats or not but, if so i belive they are still in anahiem, some where around hardin marine!!!

01RENEGADE
01-04-2003, 05:46 PM
I think Galaxie is in fontana Renegade is in anahiem

01RENEGADE
01-04-2003, 05:48 PM
I also looked at Galaxie before I bought my boat I was not impressed with them not saying that they are bad but for the price or a little more thier are better ones

btbuilder2
01-04-2003, 06:00 PM
you no i think you are right, they are in fontana

NEW 2 RIVER
01-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Being a owner of a 2001 galaxie let me share some insight.It is owned and operated by Jim Earnhardt and his son in Fontana.Jim took over Galaxie in 1996.He is a honest person to do business with and as time goes on his son seems to be getting more involved and taking the company in a more perfomance oriented direction.When they built my boat I made several changes along the way and they made the adjustments without any price gouging or complaining.I am a extremely picky person and would have to say that all of the wiring and rigging is done top notch.Now that you have heard the good,heres the bad.There gas tank is 17 gal on the starion 1800 and 20 on the 1900 and 2100 models.None of these sizes is adequate for a full days fun. There gel coat work is mediocre.And there standard trailer is a Zieman.If you want a 19 ft custom built v8 powered boat for 25 grand then Galaxie is a potential.But in all honesty if I could do it all over again I woulsd step up to 40 grand and look at Ultra.Ill go into resale value some other day. :)

01RENEGADE
01-04-2003, 08:53 PM
YOU SHOULD BE OK ON RESALE REMEMBER THAT THE BOATS INITIAL COST UP FRONT WAS CHEAPER THAN ALOT OF OTHERS SO YOUR NOT OUT ALOT OF UP FRONT COSTS MY 02

bohms
01-06-2003, 05:35 AM
I owned a '93 1900 starion for 3 years and it was a great boat. I ran it as hard as could with the 4.3 omc and never had a prob. I would have kept it but the never ending quest for bigger got in the way. I would buy one again if they made bigger boats. My int never rotted here in az and I owned it from '95 - '98 and it was org.

XTRM22
01-06-2003, 06:37 AM
I had a 94 Galaxie Starion 1900, and Brett Potts took pretty good care of me. I didn't think the quality was all that bad compared to other similarly priced boats, and the molds are decent styled relatively efficent hulls. I had them build my 19' with 350 mag, and we added headers, better ignition and a few other things, I sounded like a good idea that wasn't. That boat was the scariest 57mph ride I ever took, It'd chine and bounce and even a little chop would send it nose up. It's a better boat then alot of the production boats around but buy it for what it is, a nicer looking production family boat, don't try to hotrod it cause it gets out of it's relm quick.
Chuck

H20NUT
01-06-2003, 09:50 PM
We are on our second Galaxie Boat. The first was a 2000 21' Open Bow. We were very happy with the performance and especially the customer service at Galaxie. We met Jim Earnhardt and his son Jason at a Boat Show and felt like family right away. We never had any issues with the boat but if we wanted something done to it there was no problem. We had every option on it. The ONLY reason we sold it was to buy their new 25' ECM (Earnhardt Custom Marine.) We wanted a deep-V and we wanted something that we could take to the river and also to Catalina. Jason, the owner's son has customized this boat to the T. The boat is yellow and blue with oval pop up windows. The engine is a 496HO and we have hit 70 MPH with no problem. It handles great!! Not bad for a deep-V. We just wanted to say that we have had nothing but the best experience with this company. When we call them they know who we are immediately. They have recently moved their factory to Ventura.

NEW 2 RIVER
01-06-2003, 10:17 PM
I was unaware they moved.H20NUT you refer to your boat as ECM.did they change there name to?
what does the ECM look like?(pictures?)
by the way congrats on the new boat

H20NUT
01-07-2003, 09:40 AM
Here is our 25' ECM. I can post more pictures of the interior and the engine...
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Our_ECM.JPG
[ January 07, 2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: RiverDave ]

H20NUT
01-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Hi RiverDave:
I have a quick question. I am a little new to this and you seem to be all over this site. How do I make my picture bigger when posting it to a reply?? I have been trying to figure it out with no luck! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :confused:

H20NUT
01-07-2003, 11:20 AM
RiverDave:
I owe you a Brewski at the river for this. Let me know when you'll be there... I think our first trip is in March... Thank you so much for your help!!

H20NUT
01-07-2003, 01:04 PM
New 2 River,
Galaxie has not changed their name.Their new 25'ECM is a spioff,Earnhardt Custom Marine.Same company but for those who wants open water applications.The hull is a Carlson design,through-bolted completely and hand laid.The back end has a 496HO,Dana tabs,ext steering,through-hull exhaust.The interior has drop out seats and most of the engine hardware is customized including a gelcoated hatch and diamond plated engine compartment.If you want more info you can contact Jim or Jason at their new facility 805 477-0777.Their new address is 4869 McGrath #110 Ventura,Ca.I believe their right off the 101 and the 126.Also,the boat will be at the LA Boat Show.Hope this helps.

H20NUT
01-07-2003, 10:07 PM
New 2 River:
Here are the other pics of our 25'ECM I promised... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Interior.JPG http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Engine1.JPG

77charger
01-07-2003, 10:09 PM
RiverDave:
The boat that my family had before the Nordic was a 1976 21' Galaxie Day Cruiser. (Bought New)
To dispell the rumor, not "all" of Galaxie's were Chopper Gun boats. (This one was laid up by hand) The boat was bought from Worth Potts (Pretty sure his name was Worth).
Through my teens I put that boat through it's paces pretty hard, and I can say that the day we sold it, it didn't have one stress crack in it.
The hull was a splash off of a Hawaiian or something (can't remember now) but it was similar to a "Daytona" day cruiser. (Little different Bow)
Overall though we ran the shit out of that boat for over 20 years and never had any problems with it.
Now Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that a "todays" Galaxie is anywhere near what some of the higher price boats are (becuase I don't expect they are), but I'll tell ya that the old one we had was a pretty decent boat. (I woulda traded it for a Spectra/Howard/Hallett in a heartbeat though :D )
RD Was was the name of that boat rd?i remeber you calle dit something wink