PDA

View Full Version : XM radio Question

woodster
04-30-2003, 05:10 PM
Im getting ready to install it in my boat and im wondering about the antenna. Do i have to have it outside of the boat or can it be hidden somewhere like the engine compartment?

Frosty_pop
04-30-2003, 05:21 PM
Ya need to have it in plain site of the sky. I tried to hide mine under the lip if my hull and I couldn't get any stations, moved it out and it works great.

THATJEFFGUY
04-30-2003, 07:03 PM
What kind of antenna did you guys choose for your XM ?? I have everything ready except the antenna..I think I wanna get the low profile one that looks like a PC mouse, but I have only seen it in black..I guess I could probably have it painted white. Any suggestions ??

Catatonic
04-30-2003, 07:06 PM
I have that mouse-looking one mounted just in front of the passenger cup holder and it looks fine. I thought it would be very noticable but it's really small.

woodster
04-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Catatonic:
I have that mouse-looking one mounted just in front of the passenger cup holder and it looks fine. I thought it would be very noticable but it's really small. Thats the one im getting also. And actually i was gonna paint mine white also. That shouldnt hinder the reception at all should it?

Catatonic
04-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Doubt it. The only time my cuts out is when I go under the London Bridge.

goeasy8
04-30-2003, 07:27 PM
I would check with the XM people first about painting it before you do it. I know that if you paint a dss dish you cant use glossy paint. It does something too the reception. I would try laying something like a white plastic cup over it or what ever color you want to paint it.

No Regrets
04-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Here is the one I have that's painted http://www.marksautosound.com/MVC-02072S.JPG

No Regrets
04-30-2003, 10:08 PM
No reception issues except under the bridge for about 2-3 seconds.

ROZ
05-01-2003, 12:19 AM
The Terk XM3 doesn't come in white. You can paint it any color you want as long as you don't use a metallic paint. After speaking to mark at Mark's Autosound, he told me that he removes the top, scuffs it with 320 grit, paints 2 coats of white, lightly sands it with 600 grit, then he shoots a couple coats of clear over it.
As for the placement...Get the system installed and running with the antenna in plain site and play with different locations before you do the final mount. The bummer with the new Terk XM antennna is that the darn thing is magnetic. To secure it you're either going to have to use a strong 2 sided tape(like the old ones did), or mount a metal plate where ever you plan to locate it and stick it to it.
Hope this helps...

ROZ
05-01-2003, 12:22 AM
Catatonic:
I have that mouse-looking one mounted just in front of the passenger cup holder and it looks fine. I thought it would be very noticable but it's really small. The new model is even smaller.....errr, shorter..

woodster
05-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the help Roz and everyone else