PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass cockpit vs. carpet

HandsOn
10-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Looking for pros and cons for fiberglass cockpit and bow liner (with snap in carpet), vs. all carpet cockpit and bow.

phebus
10-08-2003, 01:26 PM
Carpet gets hotter, dirtier, and wears out. A liner with snap in carpet (if you would ever use it after seeing the ease of a liner) in my opnion is the only way to go.

BADBLOWN572
10-08-2003, 01:27 PM
The fiberglass cockpit with the carpet that snaps in is the way to go. Usually if the carpet is permanent, it is carpet over wood. If the carpet is able to come out it is usually on fiberglass. Fiberglass is much better beause it won't get water damage nearly as bad, and it is much easier to clean. If you get a lot of sand in the boat, take out the carpet and shake it, then either suck up the water with a shop vac or wash it down. I would definitely recommend going with the fiberglass snap in carpet over the carpet attached to wood.

GrapeApe
10-08-2003, 01:58 PM
How do you guys clean your Snap in Carpet? By the end of a weekend on the water, our Carpet is smelling like a Dirty Dog.. I also noticed that it takes a good day or two of being left uncovered for it to dry out. I dont have 2 days since we cover and leave our Boat at our Spot at the River. I was thinking of getting some Fabreeze or something and spraying that on it..
*** Grape Ape ***

HandsOn
10-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Why is it that most mass produced boats use the fiberglass liners, while more expensive customs tend to use carpet.

phebus
10-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Most custom boats allow the purchaser to design the layout of the interior, which doesn't allow for a fiberglass liner.