PDA

View Full Version : hey.....Billy B......

K3-River-Rat
12-22-2002, 06:08 PM
Posted this for ya the other day but I guess it was too late...
Since I had some more work to get done out in my shop today (painting a car as a matter of fact) and walked away from the computer (apparently just as you posted earlier today Billy B.?) I haven't actually done a whole lot of boats, just a few over all the years I've been custom painting.....
To answer your question,
YES it CAN be so much fun to do when people wait til the LAST minute and want their shit done yesterday!!
Here are a couple of pics of my Mantra Gull Wing Tunnel Jet I attempted a bit of a restore on last Spring as the gel coat was in pretty sad shape from being beat to death by the sun over the years especially with it being black
and I didn't want to get into painting the whole damn boat!!
I was curious as to whether or not you had ever tried something like this for a quick fix to bring a badly faded gel coat back to life??
To my surprize it actually ended up working out rather well...
Bad part about it is I was in such a rush to get it done & out on the water last year I didn't even THINK about taking any pics of it until AFTER all the hard work was done and it had already been shot :mad:
This was actually an experimental try to bring it back to good as new quicky job (that wasn't very quick to pull off!)
I say experimental with the fact nobody had ever even attempted this type of thing over the factory gel coat in the area where I live which I learned after asking a few other professional painters I know to get their thoughts and/or a little further information about attempting this myself before even trying to jump into something that may not hold up (or even stick to the gel for that matter!) and would end up with nothing more than a waste of time & expensive material if it didn't work out!!
I'm NOT an easily impressed person when it comes to the paint on a vehicle as I have been custom painting myself for some 20+ (don't want to give up how old I really am now do I!) years, but since this thing came out as nice as it did when all was said and done I was quite surprized at the finished product myself for it never (around here anyhow) being done before!!!
Needless to say it was the center of attention and everyone then wanted to know exactly what I had done to get it to look better than new the first time I took it back out to the river for everyone to see...
THEY couldn't get over how awesome it had come out, for what I told them was gonna be a quick fix!! :D
I picked up another boat that I have only been able to test drive just one time with closing the deal on it after labor day weekend a 1986 Sanger V-drive RB as I've been looking for a V-drive for well over 15 years and they seem to be non-existant in this part of the country, so I took what I was finally able to get my hands on!!!
What I was really wanting was a Sanger (or somewhat similar design) Picklefork Hydro V-drive in need of some cosmetic work to the hull so I could do a really trick custom multi-color paint scheme and use entirely House of Kolor's polyurethane candy, pearls, neon colors and marbilizers for the paint materials....
I think that would be one kick ass custom show-n-GO boat!!!
Billy B. I saw a pic of your boat in another thread (one you recently sold apparently?) that looked pretty sharp....
Did you do the paint work on it??? (nice work!) wink
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Mantra_masked_bow.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Mantra_masked_bow_rr.JPG
This pic is was taken after wet-sanding completely flat,
buffing & polishing and of course final assembly....
As you can see by the regstr.# the boat was
originally out of Tenn. but I owned the boat
several years before reregistering it in my
state as the sticker had just been renewed before
leaving Tenn. and most of the local badges know
me & didn't really hassle me about it with it being
such a highly discussed boat out there at the time
on our tiny little boating area with it being the first
boat to ever run a blower motor on that river........
They also took note the # was painted on which is never
done around here and would be a job in itself for me to change.....
Nice to know the river patrol likes me so much to not write me up.... :rolleyes: :D
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/1Mantra_re-cleared_done.JPG
[ December 23, 2002, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: K3-River-Rat ]

Mandelon
12-22-2002, 06:14 PM
The gloss on that finish is awesome!! :) :)

K3-River-Rat
12-22-2002, 06:22 PM
Thanks, that's Dupont polyurethane clear over the top
it really did turn out nice after all the hard work it took
I was extremely happy with it wink
BTW I love that signature :D

HammerDown
12-22-2002, 06:33 PM
How long must a fresh paint job...not Gell, dry before the bottom can be put into the water? And also, where the boat sits on the trailer bunks...and there wet for days...would that area of paint not start to blister? Something I always thought about. Seems like a freshly painted bottom should sit upside down for a month to harden up before even being put on a trailer.

Jbb
12-22-2002, 06:36 PM
Very nice shine ....nice work!

77charger
12-22-2002, 06:38 PM
looks really good!

Her454
12-22-2002, 07:45 PM
K3, that is beautiful! I have alot of black in mine also, and several shades of reds...in some spots the gelcoat is kinda "foggy" looking...? any suggestions on how to get that out...i plan on buffing the hell out of it when i'm able to, but even that still leaves some of it. its not bad yet but will be if i dont take care of it.
:confused:
[ December 22, 2002, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Her454 ]

Rexone
12-22-2002, 07:47 PM
Her454:
K3, that is beautiful! That is really beautiful. I take the thing back about the "reformed posting" though. :D :D

Her454
12-22-2002, 08:05 PM
Rexone:
Her454:
K3, that is beautiful! That is really beautiful. I take the thing back about the "reformed posting" though. :D :D Ditto, and if he lived any closer, with the way my gelcoat looks in spots, i'd keep my mouth shut period! wink
[ December 22, 2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Her454 ]

K3-River-Rat
12-22-2002, 09:27 PM
HammerDown:
How long must a fresh paint job...not Gell, dry before the bottom can be put into the water? And also, where the boat sits on the trailer bunks...and there wet for days...would that area of paint not start to blister? Something I always thought about. Seems like a freshly painted bottom should sit upside down for a month to harden up before even being put on a trailer. Very good point HammerDown,
actually since you brought the subject up the biggest problem you WILL run into with painting a boat using a polurethane paint vs gel coat IS the fact a freshly painted bottom WILL have sit upside down to harden up before ever being flipped back over and put on the trailer where the boat sits on the trailer bunks since this will be the very place the paint will be damaged if the paint is not FULLY cured before the weight of the boat is against the paint where it sits on the bunks themselves....
By the time you are able to set it on the trailer the only concern of water there is
will be how fast you can get it there and get the boat into it :D wink
[ December 23, 2002, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: K3-River-Rat ]