PDA

View Full Version : Trailer for my Advantage 28

Big Bear
06-14-2003, 02:06 PM
I need help! The standard issue trailer for my 28 ft. Victory is a Zieman double axle. The upgrade to an Extreme double axle is $595, triple axle is $2300. A Zieman triple axle with Goodyear steel belted radials is an extra $950. This is new territory for me. I could use some advice from you experienced hot boaters. :confused

TrojanDan
06-14-2003, 02:30 PM
You have to start with how far do you tow and how often? That's a pretty big ($$) jump to go to a triple Extreme trailer from the stock trailer. There's a lot of people who will say that Extreme is the better and has very good custmer service. And I have to agree, the Extreme is a better made trailer than my Zieman. Knock on wood, I haven't had any trailer problems so I can't tell you about Zieman's customer service. I only tow 12 miles each way to the launch ramp.
I have a triple axle Zieman under my 29' Magic and I don't look forward to having to buy 6 new tires when it's time. Sure, triple's might look cooler but it's just more maintenance, and more wear and tear on your tires.
If anything, I would say just upgrade to the Extreme double with the Goodyear tires. Don't let them put crappy no name tires on your trailer whatever you choose.

Big Bear
06-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the input. I wont know til next year how many weekend trips to the river I will be able to swing in one season. Once I get started, I probably wont be able to get enough! I'll keep the boat at home (Simi Valley) so each trip means 600 miles. My logic is, an extra axle would be alittle extra insurance for such a long haul. I agree, the triple Extreme is tooooo much. Advantage did say, they are requiring the good tires on all their trailers.

BlownCole
06-14-2003, 03:49 PM
I had a triple axle under a 22 foot Cole, I love the way it pulled and it was also smoother on a rough road. I would consider the triple if you are going to pull it 600 miles round trip, 50% less stress on the axles, but you do have to watch the tight turns. Just my .02

nmdcb
06-14-2003, 04:08 PM
many people forget the importance of a quality trailer. in your case i strongly advise a triple extreme. i tow a mach 26 behind a f350 superduty from alb. to havasu very regularly, 600 miles each way. i generally tow between 80 and 85 depending on the road. the extreme tracks extremely well, and ride is infinitely better than some of the other trailers i have had. the other thing to consider is what kind of brakes are being put on the trailer you are buying. in my case its disk, which is fairly common anymore. in an emergency stop situation the quality of your trailer is critical, especially if you are pulling with a vehicle that my be slightly undersized for the boat. with the price of todays boats and the length of time most people have their boats, the price difference in the long run is fairly negligeble. the finish difference alone from extreme compared to others is worth a couple hundred dollars in paint. i don't mean to sound like a salesman for extreme, but i have had nordic trailers,(triples and doubles),vm's (doubles), and competitives(doubles), and the extreme is by far the best trailer i have owned.
just an 02. good luck.

LUVNLIFE
06-14-2003, 07:26 PM
My .02. At least get the Extreme double. Way better trailer.

Jrocket
06-14-2003, 07:54 PM
I dont know anything about Zieman's customer service but Extreme has been perfect too me.I really like the Extreme's...
Extreme post (http://forums.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001401)

Havasu Luvr
06-14-2003, 08:12 PM
I would diffinately go with Extreme. I have a triple under my 29' Shockwave and it is awesome as well as better quality. I have no knowlegde about Zieman trailers but I have notice the difference between my friends new Competitive (Commander)and my Extreme trailer is;
Cross Members
Competitive - 3 pc welded
Extreme - 1 pc bent tubing
Suspension
Competitive - leaf springs
Extreme - Independent Torsions
Tires
Competitive - 4 ply bias (imported)
Extreme - Steel belted
Good luck...

BTBennett
06-14-2003, 08:16 PM
I have 2- triple axle Intertech trailers under both of my HTM's and hands down the best trailer out there they smoke the extremes and alan up there is a very nice and personable guy

Pet This
06-15-2003, 07:36 AM
My Nordic has the typical Nordic trailer. It has logged about 20K miles in 3 years and has been fine, except I hate the surge brakes and it sits too low. I have to be extremely careful at picking gas stations and such and everytime it go through a mountainous area I blow grease out of the axle with the brakes. I cannot use the tow/haul mode on my truck or suburban.
My new Hustler on the other hand is on a SBT (sport boat trailers from northern CA) and it is awesome! Many of the same qualities as Extreme like mandrel bent crossmembers, torsion axles, automotive quality paint, etc. It also has more crossmembers, more bunks, and thicker wall steel. All things to think about. They additionally rig it with large diamond plate tool boxes and an integral compressor to keep the water out when launching. Finally the all important elect/hyd brakes so your not smoking the grease out of your bearings on long down grades.
Your spending big change on your boat, thing of your uses and give it a good safe place to let it spend 98% of its time, a couple grand isn't gunna change your payment much!
My .02

Hermosa
06-16-2003, 06:15 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pet This:
I cannot use the tow/haul mode on my truck or suburban.
Question... What does the trailer have to do with the tow / haul mode on your truck. I assume you are talking about overdrive here.

Big Bear
06-18-2003, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. :) I am going to bite the bullet and spend the money on the Extreme triple. I'm sure I'll be happy with that decision later on down the road. At the very least I'll be looking goooooooood going and coming! wink Now if I could only fast forward to the weekend that I pick up the new boat!!!! See you all on the river.