PDA

View Full Version : Tires & Rims

Just Tool'n
04-11-2003, 09:13 AM
I need an opion on tires & rims. A friend said to put alum rims on my boat trailer because he say's the alum helps pull heat, or disapates the heat out of the tires versus going swith a steel rim.
Said this is really important during the summer pulling across the desert. Let me know what your thoughts or expreriances are!

Nubbs
04-11-2003, 09:20 AM
Just Tool'n:
I need an opion on tires & rims. A friend said to put alum rims on my boat trailer because he say's the alum helps pull heat, or disapates the heat out of the tires versus going swith a steel rim.
Said this is really important during the summer pulling across the desert. Let me know what your thoughts or expreriances are! Aluminum will dissipate heat better than steel. I can't say how important it is. Most trailers I see have steel wheels.

HavasuDreamin'
04-11-2003, 09:47 AM
Most trailers from the factory come with steel wheels. This has been the standard for a very long time. The only aluminum wheels I have seen on trailers have been custom and are usually put on the trailer for looks.

HotHallet
04-11-2003, 11:23 AM
I just put Weld Rodlite XP aluminum wheels on my trailer to match my truck and am running 15x7's with a 60series Toyo tire. Run what you want and what's in your budget. Most trailers are running old school chromies. I ran chrome wheels before I re-did my trailer and never had a problem.

Seadog
04-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Wheel weight is going to be more of a factor than material. What affects heat loss most is surface area exposed. Since the aluminum wheels are thicker than steel, it is not going to be much difference in cooling IMHO. The plain jane steel wheels are usually less weight than the aluminum and are easier to have worked on. They just don't look as jazzy.

126driver
04-11-2003, 11:38 AM
We use steel wheels on our 44' triple-axle enclosed trailer and haven't had any problems. Aluminum rims look cooler though...