PDA

View Full Version : My Motorcycle is Finished!!! ok almost

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 08:33 AM
I just finished the plastics and graphics on my motorcyle. I need to take it over to Dave Huffman at CEF and get the engine as close to works as I can. So, how does everyone like my 3 1/2 hours work?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/711DSC00062-med.JPG
Came out blurry for some reason but it works
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/711DSC00063-med.JPG

hboldno7
07-01-2003, 08:36 AM
cool, is it a 125 ??

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 08:37 AM
hboldno7:
cool, is it a 125 ?? Yeah 03. It was one of the first 200 before the harbor strike. I got damn lucky on this one.

mbrown2
07-01-2003, 08:38 AM
Pretty trick looking bike.

Infomaniac
07-01-2003, 08:40 AM
Cool - I guess the chain tightens up when you sit on it?

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Infomaniac:
Cool - I guess the chain tightens up when you sit on it? Yeah,
When your tire needs to be able to swing in a 18 inch area it's kinda gotta be loose or it'll snap.

H.B. Brett
07-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Swwweeeeeettt. I'm thinking about taking my bike to the river for the 4th. You can ride from about 5am to 7am, then it's too damn hot.
[ July 01, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: H.B. Brett ]

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 08:54 AM
H.B. Brett:
Swwweeeeeettt. I'm thinking about taking my bike to the river for the 4th. You can from about 5am to 7am, then it's too damn hot. Yea I'll be down there. I'm in the shaggy tree distric. Road Runner Alley to be exact. See ya there bro.

Jrocket
07-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Phat_Kat:
Infomaniac:
When your tire needs to be able to swing in a 18 inch area it's kinda gotta be loose or it'll snap. No,its actually too loose.

jlnorthrup122
07-01-2003, 11:29 AM
No,its actually too loose. It is sittin on a stand so the swing arm is extended 100% so it will tighten up when he sets it down and runs it if ridden like it was design for he will have that chain stretched out in one season that back tire will meet the rear fender on a regular basis rite bro? well now that I look at it it could be tightened up a little its hard to believe that the dealer didn't set it up rite! :cool:
[ July 01, 2003, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: jlnorthrup122 ]

Boozer
07-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Dude that chain is to loose. You can tighten it up more then that. I understand you need it somewhat loose to get some travel but not that loose. I'd be scared shitless of that flying off and ****in your foot up. Or worse.

riverliver
07-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Jrocket:
Phat_Kat:
Infomaniac:
When your tire needs to be able to swing in a 18 inch area it's kinda gotta be loose or it'll snap. No,its actually too loose. http://www.lifeisajoke.com/Pictures/dancingfatguy.gif
[ July 01, 2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: riverliver ]

HammerDown
Motorcycle...wheres a Motorcycle? Thats a Dirt Bike for crying out loud. Here I thought I was going to see a Big V-Twin Ground Pounder.
I had a Honda 500cc Dirt Bike back in the early 80's...fun hoby for sure.
My current ride is a fully Custom 88" 1979 HD (I built myself).

Phat_Kat
Jrocket:
Phat_Kat:
Infomaniac:
When your tire needs to be able to swing in a 18 inch area it's kinda gotta be loose or it'll snap. No,its actually too loose. no it's not actually. I have 3 pros that will tell you the same. They got bored one night at the river and serviced the shit out of my bike. I just took it for a spin after that and then threw it in the garage. I am quite sure it's tight enough especially since I'm getting 20 feet in the air at the local MX tracks.

ROZ
07-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Can I borrow your lawnmower? :D

jlnorthrup122
07-01-2003, 11:33 AM
I ued to run a KX 125 a few years ago and the chain don't look real bad I stored my bikes in my bedroom up untill I got kids. :D :D :D

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 11:34 AM
I just knocked it back 3 notches just for you Jrocket. Happy now yuk

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 11:36 AM
ROZ:
Can I borrow your lawnmower? :D If you want a rider my dad's getting a new John Deer and he's gonna sell the craftsmen. I know you were joking but just incase you or anyone else is interested.

jlnorthrup122
07-01-2003, 11:36 AM
I had a Honda 500cc Dirt Bike back in the early 80's...fun hoby for sure. Yeah I rember one of my buddies had one of those Yami 460's and all he had on my kaw 125 was more wieght. :D

Ziggy
07-01-2003, 11:58 AM
jlnorthrup122:
I had a Honda 500cc Dirt Bike back in the early 80's...fun hoby for sure. Yeah I rember one of my buddies had one of those Yami 460's and all he had on my kaw 125 was more wieght. :D Four Stroke Thumper Power!!! Yeah baby! Would whip all the 2 strokers on the uphill at Carlsbad then get smoked in the whoops...the good ol' 70's-80's. We were real riders back then, being able to rip off a good time with 4-8 inches of travel.

Jrocket
07-01-2003, 12:13 PM
Phat_Kat:
no it's not actually. I have 3 pros that will tell you the same. They got bored one night at the river and serviced the shit out of my bike. I just took it for a spin after that and then threw it in the garage. I am quite sure it's tight enough especially since I'm getting 20 feet in the air at the local MX tracks. Kid,you make me laugh!!! 3 pro's eh? Serviced the shit out of it? Uhhhhh ok,what ever you say.

NastyOne
07-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Cool bike... now all you have to do is learn to ride it.
Here is a pic of my CR. Yeah I know... it smokes your shit! I would list everything that it has done, but I dont think that you have time.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/658DCP_0231-med.jpg
[ July 01, 2003, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: NastyOne ]

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Jrocket:
Phat_Kat:
no it's not actually. I have 3 pros that will tell you the same. They got bored one night at the river and serviced the shit out of my bike. I just took it for a spin after that and then threw it in the garage. I am quite sure it's tight enough especially since I'm getting 20 feet in the air at the local MX tracks. Kid,you make me laugh!!! 3 pro's eh? Serviced the shit out of it? Uhhhhh ok,what ever you say. yeah local pros. They're real nice guys and they know their shit. They're common to LACR and Hungry Valley MX. Don't try to call BS on me because you'll come up dry.

superV
07-01-2003, 12:24 PM
NastyOne:
Here is a pic of my CR. Yeah I know... it smokes your shit! I would list everything that it has done, but I dont think that you have time.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/658DCP_0231-med.jpg Are you always a Dip Shit or do you really think your shit dont stink boxed

Jrocket
07-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Phat_Kat:
Jrocket:
Phat_Kat:
no it's not actually. I have 3 pros that will tell you the same. They got bored one night at the river and serviced the shit out of my bike. I just took it for a spin after that and then threw it in the garage. I am quite sure it's tight enough especially since I'm getting 20 feet in the air at the local MX tracks. Kid,you make me laugh!!! 3 pro's eh? Serviced the shit out of it? Uhhhhh ok,what ever you say. yeah local pros. They're real nice guys and they know their shit. They're common to LACR and Hungry Valley MX. Don't try to call BS on me because you'll come up dry. Kid,I think your lost...I know your a big time MX'er and all so I'd better not call BS on ya...I wouldnt want to come up dry..LMAO

NastyOne
07-01-2003, 12:40 PM
superV:
NastyOne:
Are you always a Dip Shit or do you really think your shit dont stink boxed Hey I cant help it if all my shits on point. Dont get angry with me because I am good at everything yuk

jlnorthrup122
07-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Four Stroke Thumper Power!!! Yeah baby! Would whip all the 2 strokers on the uphill at Carlsbad then get smoked in the whoops...the good ol' 70's-80's. We were real riders back then, being able to rip off a good time with 4-8 inches of travel.
So you remember the pre monoshock days eh! :D :D :D
They are turning back to the four strokers these days!

pgf111
07-01-2003, 02:05 PM
Posers... I like the wanna-be freestyle look and the red frame that is really cute. Get a ****ing life no one really cares what your stupid bikes look like.

NastyOne
07-01-2003, 02:12 PM
pgf111:
Posers... I like the wanna-be freestyle look and the red frame that is really cute. Get a ****ing life no one really cares what your stupid bikes look like. Eassssssy Bitch. I think freestylers are guys that couldn't hang in the motos ok. Your probably on of those pussies. Dont get mad at me because you would get laughed off the boards if you posted a pic of your crop duster. Your probably one of those guys that leaves thier bike in the truck at the track.
[ July 01, 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: NastyOne ]

miller19j
07-01-2003, 02:15 PM
I am not a Dirt Bike Mechanic; but I am a little confused if the sprocket is at the fulcrum of the swing (as it appears in the picture) arm how does the chain tighten during travel? :confused:

BADAXE
07-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Jrocket:
Phat_Kat:
no it's not actually. I have 3 pros that will tell you the same. They got bored one night at the river and serviced the shit out of my bike. I just took it for a spin after that and then threw it in the garage. I am quite sure it's tight enough especially since I'm getting 20 feet in the air at the local MX tracks. Kid,you make me laugh!!! 3 pro's eh? Serviced the shit out of it? Uhhhhh ok,what ever you say. :D :D :D wink

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 02:20 PM
pgf111:
Posers... I like the wanna-be freestyle look and the red frame that is really cute. Get a ****ing life no one really cares what your stupid bikes look like. I know I said I'd shut up but I can't help it on this one. I am so sick of guys like you pulling out and saying this shit. Ever considered that I just happened to like a black bike. I'll admit that I'll look like a "wanna-be" with the baggies and the black plastics but you know I'm just out for a day of fun. If you wanna set things straight, call brad thorne and ask him when we got the track and we'll settle it on the track. I've heard a lot of loud mouth dickheads, that I will compare to myself because everyone seem to hold the same opinion against me, that think they're the ultimate rider. Got news for ya bro you're not half as good as you think you are. Get out on the track with us and have Danny Pacheco(local pro) and eric keo(don't know the exact spelling but he's the honda manager) kick you ass on the track and on air time. Sure they may not do all the tricks but they'll smoke you through the turns and set you where you belong. I used to be a hot head until I got out there with these guys and it was depressing as hell but it's reality. Get used to it. Maybe you're Xgames material and I totally wrong about youm but most guys that talk like you get this shit beat out of them on the track cause you talk big and ride like a pussy.

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 02:21 PM
miller19j:
I am not a Dirt Bike Mechanic; but I am a little confused if the sprocket is at the fulcrum of the swing (as it appears in the picture) arm how does the chain tighten during travel? :confused: we need all the slack because we often come close to bottoming out.

BADAXE
07-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Phat_Kat:
miller19j:
I am not a Dirt Bike Mechanic; but I am a little confused if the sprocket is at the fulcrum of the swing (as it appears in the picture) arm how does the chain tighten during travel? :confused: we need all the slack because we often come close to bottoming out. So are you saying that the more the suspension compresses the further away the rear wheel gets from the counter sprocket?

Jrocket
07-01-2003, 03:22 PM
miller19j:
I am not a Dirt Bike Mechanic; but I am a little confused if the sprocket is at the fulcrum of the swing (as it appears in the picture) arm how does the chain tighten during travel? :confused: Miller,the chain will tighten up some what.Not enough to ride it loose though.The pivot point of the swing arm is about 3 inches or so back or between the two sprockets.1.5-2.0 inches of play is all you want.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/232Junk_038-med.jpg

Phat_Kat
07-01-2003, 03:23 PM
BADAXE:
Phat_Kat:
miller19j:
I am not a Dirt Bike Mechanic; but I am a little confused if the sprocket is at the fulcrum of the swing (as it appears in the picture) arm how does the chain tighten during travel? :confused: we need all the slack because we often come close to bottoming out. So are you saying that the more the suspension compresses the further away the rear wheel gets from the counter sprocket? sorry I'm not looking when I'm riding. All I know is that when we land the swing arm pretty much straightens out and that's when there's the most distance between sprockets. That's why the slack is there. You can't have full tension at that midpoint becaus that's where most riders hit the throttle hardest.

Jrocket
07-01-2003, 03:25 PM
What you cant see in the picture is the chain roller guides that the chain hits at full compression causing the chain to get tight at full bump.

Havasu Cig
07-01-2003, 03:27 PM
The last bike I raced was a KX-250 back in 95 and I set it up with 1.5-2.0 inches like Jrocket said. I would have to ask a friend that sets up bikes for a living to see if it is still the same. The travel has not increased that much so I would assume it would be close.

Hustler
07-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Jrocket:
miller19j:
I am not a Dirt Bike Mechanic; but I am a little confused if the sprocket is at the fulcrum of the swing (as it appears in the picture) arm how does the chain tighten during travel? :confused: Miller,the chain will tighten up some what.Not enough to ride it loose though.The pivot point of the swing arm is about 3 inches or so back or between the two sprockets.1.5-2.0 inches of play is all you want.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/232Junk_038-med.jpg Ok Johnny, Thats it I have lost what ever respect I had for you. :rolleyes:
Come on now.......A Suzuki? What the F*&k?
I know!! There is a house down the street from me for sale. Come on out of the 909 and everything will be OK :p :D

Jrocket
07-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Hustler,your killing me man.Come back to the 909 where ya belong!!!
My Kawi deals ran out ,so I went with my new good guy deal,you might say.Actually glad I did.It took some time to adjust to its attitude but I really like the bike.

Hustler
07-01-2003, 03:42 PM
No way man, if I go back out that way you'll have me riding a Suzuki then everyone will make fun of me. Not only for riding that bike but for being in the 909 eek! :D :D

Jrocket
07-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Hustler:
No way man, if I go back out that way you'll have me riding a Suzuki then everyone will make fun of me. Not only for riding that bike but for being in the 909 eek! :D :D Well after my Suzuki deal came up,I got a few more so when you ready to make the trip home,Ill set you up!!!

1stepcloser
07-01-2003, 06:03 PM
Kids... :rolleyes:
This is a real "off-road" motorcycle.
650 CC's of Honda finest, fully prepared by XR's only, suspension courtesy of Race-Tech.
125's...harumph...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/398Boat_shots_001-med.jpg
:cool:

superV
07-02-2003, 05:10 AM
NastyOne:
superV:
NastyOne:
Are you always a Dip Shit or do you really think your shit dont stink boxed Hey I cant help it if all my shits on point. Dont get angry with me because I am good at everything yuk Hey no anger here I just see you always runnin your chops and in my experience guys like that never have the goods when the time comes.I bet you have a F350 on 44s that has never seen dirt too? or something like that.BTW if you did not notice most peeps shit on this board is on point but you dont hear them braggin 24/7.But its cool someday im sure you will look back and relize what a dumb ass you made your self look like all those times just like I did before I grew up a little bit. No need to to reply with some smart ass comments im not trying to be a dick but rather to give my .02 Think about it!
BTW that is a nice bike as is this guys bike that everyone is givin a hard time too. wink

Freak
07-02-2003, 10:39 AM
[/qb][/QUOTE]sorry I'm not looking when I'm riding. All I know is that when we land the swing arm pretty much straightens out and that's when there's the most distance between sprockets. That's why the slack is there. You can't have full tension at that midpoint becaus that's where most riders hit the throttle hardest. [/QB][/QUOTE]
I don't follow... Isn't it when you land the swing arm is piviting upwards, not straighting out???
"You can't have full tension at that midpoint becaus that's where most riders hit the throttle hardest." HUH? I don't get that either. Why would you want slack in the chain when you are going to hit the throttle the hardest??? Wouldn't that wear on the sprockets and chain.
I raced 250B on the east coast (buds creek etc.) In my 20's then I f'ed up my knee and that was the end of that. Yamaha 1.5-2in slack is where it's at.
jrockets chain is right on...
[ July 02, 2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Freak ]

Phat_Kat
07-02-2003, 10:40 AM
Freak:
sorry I'm not looking when I'm riding. All I know is that when we land the swing arm pretty much straightens out and that's when there's the most distance between sprockets. That's why the slack is there. You can't have full tension at that midpoint becaus that's where most riders hit the throttle hardest. [/QB][/QUOTE]
I don't follow... Isn't it when you land the swing arm is piviting upwards, not straighting out???
"You can't have full tension at that midpoint becaus that's where most riders hit the throttle hardest." HUH? I don't get that either. Why would you want slack in the chain when you are going to hit the throttle the hardest??? Wouldn't that wear on the sprockets and chain.
I raced 250B on the east coast (buds creek etc.) In my 20's then I f'ed up my knee and that was the end of that. 1.5-2in slack is where it's at.
jrockets chain is right on... [/QB][/QUOTE]
When the swingarm pivots it eventually gets straight with the frame and that's the max tension point.

Freak
07-02-2003, 10:59 AM
now i follow

pgf111
07-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Nasty- I'm also the one who'll send you packing up early after I parked your ass in the first turn. I can asure you that I've put more laps down on a bike than you could ever hope too.

91nordic29
07-02-2003, 03:45 PM
now boys, play nice!!! :D :cool:
[ July 02, 2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: 91nordic29 ]

hboldno7
07-02-2003, 04:41 PM
HUFFPOWER:
that would be erik kehoe from team honda, he was a factory yamaha rider on an 80, was factory suzuki when he went to big bikes,i went to high school with his sister and used to ride with his brothers in the hills of granada hills where he grew up,having raced mx for 22yrs i'll tell how to educate yourself on chain tension 101.
1.take the shock off to watch the swing arm travel thru its full range of motion,from full extend to fully bottomed out, if you watch the chain, you will see when it becomes the tightest.
2.at the tightest point, you want about 1" to 1 1/2" of slack,depending on how new or old the chain is, a good chain should stop stretching after a few rides. take the time to do this, you'll learn something.p.s. the guys i grew up racing with had names like jim holley,bobby jones,mike brown,brian myerscough,jeff ward to name a few,be happy and go ride, the best class out there is any vet class over 30 :D :D :D this is a perfect post to end this thread on. I love my CR also but its covered up in the garage right now while I play with my summer toys. Good post though HUFFPOWER. 5 stars to you for teaching all the mx'ers in here how to adjust the chain.

hboldno7
07-02-2003, 04:41 PM
oops
[ July 02, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: hboldno7 ]

Hustler
07-02-2003, 06:08 PM
HUFFPOWER:
your welcome, now go ride. :) It's too damn HOT :D

Hustler
07-02-2003, 06:39 PM
tommorows forcast is for 105 and thats in Northridge eek!

woodster
07-02-2003, 06:53 PM
I race Mx also..We should meet up at a track sometime so i can give a schooling :p