PDA

View Full Version : TOP 5 boat manufactures (POLL)

TCHB
09-11-2002, 06:23 AM
I would like to take a poll
1. What are the top boat manufactures in Southern California and Arizona Area for high performance boats.
Quality
Performance
Looks
Customer Service
Resale

burning cole
09-11-2002, 07:32 AM
oh no not this again, I am going to give a biased opinon. I think cole boats for Quality, performance, looks and resale. But as for Customer service I do not agree. They are not the friendlist of people unless you meet them from someone who has purchased a NEW boat there. I have an 88 and he does not even want to work on it.

Lakemead1
09-11-2002, 07:32 AM
Essex
DCB
Howard
Hallet
Eliminator

burning cole
09-11-2002, 07:35 AM
Hallett
DCB
Warlock
Cole
Chris Craft

mbrown2
09-11-2002, 07:52 AM
DCB
Hallett
Schiada
Cole
Howard

rivercrazy
09-11-2002, 07:58 AM
DCB
Shockwave
Lavey
Cole
Schiada

Livin Large 27Hallett
09-11-2002, 08:03 AM
OK I will Play,
Hallett
Schiada
Nordick J/K
:D

river-rat
09-11-2002, 08:13 AM
Cole
DCB
Hallet
Howard
Schiada
No particular order. Although I have to agree with Burning Cole, just speaking to Jim on the phone you can tell he does it HIS way or no way.

Steamin' Rice
09-11-2002, 08:15 AM
Sea Ray
Cobalt
Four Winns
Wellcraft
Bayliner

burning cole
09-11-2002, 08:35 AM
Oh yea I forgot about those bayliners.
I would like to Make Bayliners as my NuMBER 1 PICK

1stepcloser
09-11-2002, 08:46 AM
Eliminator wink
Ultra
DCB
Fountain
Hallet

Screaming Pete
09-11-2002, 08:49 AM
I thought I'd take this a different direction and go with the boats I've owned 1) Ultra 20xt 2) Ultra 22 stealth, 3) DCB mach 22.....
Quility...DCB inside outside hands down :)
Performance... as talked about when placing the order :)
Looks... Graphics//Ultra :)
C/S...DCB :)
Resale...Ultra sold both well :)

THOR
09-11-2002, 08:51 AM
In no particular order:
Ultra
Eliminator
DCB
Schiada
Howard

dossangers
09-11-2002, 09:17 AM
sanger
sanger
sanger
and sanger!

Screaming Pete
09-11-2002, 09:19 AM
dossangers:
sanger
sanger
sanger
and sanger!Do you mean SANGER!!! :p

bigorangefan
09-11-2002, 09:23 AM
I think all of the well known builders do a good job of trying to provide us with a safe enjoyable product. Actually, many use the same suppliers for the Motor/drives and hardware, I think it comes down to the quality of the hull and final rigging.

socalboater
09-11-2002, 09:26 AM
How about dollar for dollar?

JetBoatRich
09-11-2002, 09:34 AM
My 78 Charger suits me fine, for now!
It all depends on what you want to Spend$$$$$$

Jordy
09-11-2002, 09:38 AM
Steamin' Rice:
Sea Ray
Cobalt
Four Winns
Wellcraft
BaylinerHow could you put Baylitter at the bottom of a fine list of manufacturers like this one? Come on, doesn't the simulated wood grain dash and chrome horn count for something?
Jordy :D

river-rat
09-11-2002, 09:44 AM
I think one of the best values out there is Shockwave. Standard features, rigging, upholstery, and gel coat. I think Essex makes a nice boat but I also think you pay for it.

Steamin' Rice
09-11-2002, 09:52 AM
jordanpaulk:
Steamin' Rice:
Sea Ray
Cobalt
Four Winns
Wellcraft
BaylinerHow could you put Baylitter at the bottom of a fine list of manufacturers like this one? Come on, doesn't the simulated wood grain dash and chrome horn count for something?
Jordy :D My list was in no particular order.... :D
In reality, I think that there are a lot (5-10?) of socal custom builders that are close to each other in terms of construction, rigging, etc...Picking the "best" builder really depends on what the boat will be used for and what is important to the person buying the boat.

bohica
09-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Here's my list.
1. Cigarette
2. Outerlimits
3. Schiada
4. Hallet
5. Formula

burning cole
09-11-2002, 10:32 AM
bohica,
who is outerlimits?

bohica
09-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Burning Cole,
Outerlimits is a high end offshore boat manufacturer. Dick Simon is a dealer for them. I only wish I could afford one of them. Here's a pic. http://www.scopeinfo.com/images/2002-SCOPE-Poker-Run/DSC00213.jpg

burning cole
09-11-2002, 10:54 AM
holy c$*P, that thing is huge. How much does something like that go for? Just Curious. I make fun of people that have boats that big and try to drive them down the river, so I would never buy one. But they sure are pretty to look at.

Jordy
09-11-2002, 11:21 AM
You know what they say, if you have to ask...

Jordy
09-11-2002, 11:25 AM
If I had an unlimited budget, and a place to run a boat this big it would be a Skater:
http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/used/1995sk46_4.jpg
with some of these:
http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/used/1995sk46_7.jpg
http://www.skaterpowerboats.com/used/1995sk46_1_sm.jpg
But none of my local lakes are big enough... yeah that's it. LOL

HavasuDreamin'
09-11-2002, 11:54 AM
DCB
Schiada
Eliminator
Hallet
Howard
Very honorable mention of Fountain!

bohica
09-11-2002, 12:21 PM
Burning Cole,
This one is for sale.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/upload/boats.1713.1.jpg
For only $450,000 and it's a used 2001. I'll keep dreaming

Kilrtoy
09-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Hands down DCB
and in no particular order
Lavey Craft
Shockwave
Essex
Schiada

burning cole
09-11-2002, 12:40 PM
Jordan I have to ask because it blows my mind how someone could have 450,000 dollars of disposable savings. most people save for retirement or to put kids through school, and even after that they have that much money to blow on a boat.
Bohica, just refi the house like everyone else, then go talk to a bookie, and last do some drug running from Cuba to Flordia and you should have your new boat in UMMMM say 5 years.

dossangers
09-11-2002, 12:45 PM
whatever you buy as soon as you put in the water its worth half 1 yr old is best deal!

burning cole
09-11-2002, 12:48 PM
dossanger, That statement is only true with new boats. I bought an 88 and it is worth 50% more then what I paid.
Now all I have to do is find out how to sink it, without getting caught.

Jordy
09-11-2002, 12:56 PM
burning cole:
Jordan I have to ask because it blows my mind how someone could have 450,000 dollars of disposable savings. most people save for retirement or to put kids through school, and even after that they have that much money to blow on a boat. Baffles my mind too. Guess I will just be happy living in my $150K house, driving my paid for 94 Chevy and pulling my paid for 1978 jet boat...

Jrocket
09-11-2002, 12:59 PM
HavasuDreamin':
DCB
Schiada
Eliminator
Hallet
Howard
Very honorable mention of Skater!I'll go with this one,with one small change.... :D
[ September 11, 2002, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Jrocket ]

Charley
09-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Hopefully you guys already know my answer :D

Jrocket
09-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Charley:
Hopefully you guys already know my answer :D Force OffShore..? :D

HavasuDreamin'
09-11-2002, 01:58 PM
Jrocket:
Charley:
Hopefully you guys already know my answer :D Force OffShore..? :D Classic............... :D :p

XTRM22
09-11-2002, 02:16 PM
DCB (yeah I know you guys are surprised)
Shiada
LaveyCraft
Hallet
Howard
I have recently been pretty impressed with SleekCraft, Solid boat and very clean graffics.
Chuck

Charley
09-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Jrocket:
Charley:
Hopefully you guys already know my answer :D Force OffShore..? :D Yo JR... may the FORCE be with YOU !!!

Jrocket
09-11-2002, 02:54 PM
CharleyYo JR... may the FORCE be with YOU !!![/QB]Damm I hate when your in a good mood.I was hoping for a nastier reply than that(Im kinda bored)....Ill catch ya slipping up later.. :D

Whatboat
09-11-2002, 03:04 PM
What about Allison?
No not the bassboat model

Jrocket
09-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Whatboat:
What about Allison?
No not the bassboat modelYa dont see too many out west.Back east or mid west they seem to be popular.Wonder why?

Hustler
09-11-2002, 03:15 PM
RiverDave:
mbrown2:
DCB
Hallett
Schiada
Cole
HowardThis would be my list as well.
Only difference is I'd probably put Schiada at the top of it.
RDWhat I figured you would surly put Hallet at the top. What changed?

mbrown2
09-11-2002, 03:28 PM
Whatboat:
What about Allison?
No not the bassboat modelThe question asked for Boats Built in CA and AZ; Allison, Skater, and some other Offshore boats mentioned above are built in the mid-west, east and southeast...if we are talking across the country, my list would have included Skater over Cole and others, and maybe some other changes as well.

H4215
09-11-2002, 03:28 PM
DCB
Ultra
Lavey
Hallett
Warlock
In that order, and the farther you go down the list the worse the customer service gets. I also put my last 2 selections on there because the hulls are bullet-proof, and they ride very stable as well as comfortable. All these builders have their downside, except seemingly DCB, but their good far outweighs their bad.

mbrown2
09-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Whatboat:
What about Allison?
No not the bassboat modelOne other thing about Allison, Mirage, STV, and some of the other Non-California hot-rods, these boats are fast but also basic...no creature comforts (none or very limited lighting, drink holders, plush interiors), Gel Coat designs are ages behind CA and AZ...Allison is probably the best of these three as for resale and customer service since the others have changed hands in the recent past..and the Allisons have a strong following in the Bass and non-Bass owners. I love all three and would like to have one as a little rocket, but the wife is not going to let me purchase something without a swim step.

Whatboat
09-11-2002, 03:39 PM
QUOTE]The question asked for Boats Built in CA and AZ;
Got my glasses on, now I see.
Make sense RD.. Then why don't the top 5 mentioned here have midwest dealers. I'd sure like to see them up close.

Whatboat
09-11-2002, 03:45 PM
[/ QUOTE] but the wife is not going to let me purchase something without a swim step.[/QB][/QUOTE]
Understand that, my wife wanted, and got, a head she could stand up in.

RiverToysJas
09-11-2002, 04:12 PM
DCB
Lavey Craft
Eliminator
Schiada
Hallett
DCB is a great all around company and is at the cutting edge on the details of building a boat.
Lavey builds the F-1 off-shore world championship boat as well as having high quality and great service.
Eliminator has many speed records and they still build a decent boat (even though they bolt ugly chrome nav lights to otherwise well sculpted and molded in windshield).
After that it gets harder for me. I put Hallett, Schiada, and Cole at pretty much the same lavel. Nice, good quality old school boat companies. Schiada have a slight lead IMO but that's just personal perception more than anything though.
RTJas :D

future boater
09-11-2002, 04:13 PM
what no kachina? if i remember right they made a little engine situation right a few months back.if i remember right the customer wanted a bre motor and they screwed up the motor 3 times. kachina then went out of pocket for a hp500 was it? if there are any errors in my post please correct me. i know they are a cheaper boat but that seems to be a pretty decent customer service move.

Dribble
09-11-2002, 04:20 PM
(1)Howard
(2)DCB
(3)Hallett
(4)Cole
If money is no object.
Number 5 if price is an object.
Tie between Shockwave, Essex, and Ultra

RiverToysJas
09-11-2002, 04:27 PM
future boater:
what no kachina? if i remember right they made a little engine situation right a few months back.if i remember right the customer wanted a bre motor and they screwed up the motor 3 times. kachina then went out of pocket for a hp500 was it? if there are any errors in my post please correct me. i know they are a cheaper boat but that seems to be a pretty decent customer service move.True but the full criteria was:
Quality
Performance
Looks
Customer Service
Resale
So as for Kachina, one (maybe two) in five don't cut it on my list. wink
No offence ment to Kachina owners, great company! I'm just not a big fan of their boats. To each his own.
[ September 11, 2002, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

Havasu Cig
09-11-2002, 04:32 PM
Skater
Cigarette
Outerlimits
Spectre
Formula
Iknow these are not Ca Or Az Builders, but since some others mentioned boats from out of the area I thought I would add my .02.
BTW: The Outerlimits "Rock It" that Bohica posted the pic of is 37' and runs 138 mph. It was the first boat to finish the Scope poker run, and considering the hardware out there that is impressive.

RiverToysJas
09-11-2002, 04:36 PM
Havasu Cig:
Skater
Cigarette
Outerlimits
Spectre
Formula
I sure figured Hustler would be somewhere in the top five of a list like that one. They sure seem to be building a name for themselves.
[ September 11, 2002, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

snappertapper
09-11-2002, 05:05 PM
Nor-tech
scarab
donzi
contender
fountain

Havasu Cig
09-11-2002, 05:16 PM
RiverToysJas:
Havasu Cig:
Skater
Cigarette
Outerlimits
Spectre
Formula
I sure figured Hustler would be somewhere in the top five of a list like that one. They sure seem to be building a name for themselves.
RTJas :D I do like the Hustler 388 Slingshot, but I only named five. If we broke it down to cats and V's They would have made my list. :D

24ROD
09-11-2002, 06:09 PM
1. Cheetah
2. Cheetah
3. Cheetah
4. Cheetah
5. Cheetah
Come on just kidding :D :D :D :D
1. DCB
2. HTM
3. Howard
4. Eliminator
5. Carrera
-Carlos :p

shockwavebd
09-11-2002, 06:36 PM
rivercrazy:
DCB
Shockwave
Lavey
Cole
SchiadaDitto :D :D :D

playdeep
09-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Havacig,I am surprised at your omission of DCB and the inclusion of Formula?,They still use a chopper gun as opposed to hand laid laminating and the vinyl graphics dont do much...just curious?

77charger
09-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Charley:
Hopefully you guys already know my answer :D dcb
dcb
daves custum boats
daves custum boats
and boats with lots o freeboard. wink

Havasu Cig
09-11-2002, 10:15 PM
playdeep:
Havacig,I am surprised at your omission of DCB and the inclusion of Formula?,They still use a chopper gun as opposed to hand laid laminating and the vinyl graphics dont do much...just curious?As far as my leaving out DCB, I had some issues with them that cost me quite a bit of money. I will leave it at that on this public forum. They do build a great boat though!!
As far as Formula is concerned, I know a few people that have raced them in F-2 and they built a fast quality boat. I have been in a few and the fit and finish, along with creature comforts is as good as it gets. The performance in their production boats is also top notch. I would not consider them a hardcore offshore boat such as a Cig, but the creature comforts are nicer. A friend has a new 382 that is awesome, but it won't run with the Top Gun in nasty water. You have to pick what suits you.
I had the opportunity to check out a new 40ss this past weekend and the thing is awesome. Again the fit and finish is outstanding. All the formulas I have seen use Imron paint for graphics although the schemes are limited. I have not seen one with vinyl with the exception of some of the cruisers. The Fas Techs I have seen have all been paint. I would still put them near the top of my list!!

RiverDave2
09-11-2002, 10:53 PM
future boater:
what no kachina? if i remember right they made a little engine situation right a few months back.if i remember right the customer wanted a bre motor and they screwed up the motor 3 times. kachina then went out of pocket for a hp500 was it? if there are any errors in my post please correct me. i know they are a cheaper boat but that seems to be a pretty decent customer service move.FutureBoater, customer service and "quality" are two different things.
Guys might be real nice down at Kachina, but you couldn't pay me to buy one.
Pretty well proven that the guys are pricks up at Hallett, but I'd buy one today if I had the dough. wink
RD

RiverDave2
09-11-2002, 10:54 PM
playdeep:
Havacig,I am surprised at your omission of DCB and the inclusion of Formula?,They still use a chopper gun as opposed to hand laid laminating and the vinyl graphics dont do much...just curious?I was under the impression that there graphics were IMRON paint, not vinyl.
RD

RiverDave2
09-11-2002, 11:06 PM
Whatboat:
QUOTE]The question asked for Boats Built in CA and AZ;
Got my glasses on, now I see.
Make sense RD.. Then why don't the top 5 mentioned here have midwest dealers. I'd sure like to see them up close.I guess the answre to that would be it's cheaper for you to buy a plain ticket then it is for them to set up a dealer. wink
Most of the places don't really make that many boats a year. It wouldn't make financial sense for them to start popping up dealers across the nation. That and they can realistically sell 5 times as many boats out here with 1/2 the effort. Pretty hard to explain to the local guy with the allison why he should pop an extra 50+K on a boat that his 8K fishing boat will spank all day long.
Different strokes for different folks.
RD

RiverDave2
09-11-2002, 11:10 PM
Hustler:
RiverDave:
mbrown2:
DCB
Hallett
Schiada
Cole
HowardThis would be my list as well.
Only difference is I'd probably put Schiada at the top of it.
RDWhat I figured you would surly put Hallet at the top. What changed?I think DCB builds a better boat then Hallett, but I think Hallett "outclasses" DCB.
Hence the Halletts are for GrandPa's
DCB's are for Rich Kids comment.
Never seen a DCB with a teak floor etc..
Don't see to many Halletts with twin 300's on the back.
Both great boats, but it would seem that if you look at there lines (by that I mean models) there's two very different objectives to each brand.
Personally I'd rather cruise in a "classy" boat then Haul ass in the top of the line boat, but that's just me.. once again to each there own.
RD

Charley
09-12-2002, 12:32 AM
cruising down the river in a classy boat over a fast top of the line boat.... That belongs in that GAY THREAD :D :D :D hehehe Just teasin ya RD ....

75_Elim
09-12-2002, 08:21 AM
My list is strictly about V-Bottoms:
1)Outerlimits
2)Cigarette
3)Fountain
4)Formula
5)Laveycraft
As for Cats:
1)Skater
2)Skater
3)Skater
4)Skater
5)Eliminator (I have to mention them once since I own one)

stix818
09-12-2002, 08:34 AM
Well since I will never own anything besides a fast flat I will have to be bias on this one.
Hondo
Canyon Marine
Sanger
Howard
Cole

mbrown2
09-12-2002, 08:55 AM
From RD - "Hence the Halletts are for GrandPa's
DCB's are for Rich Kids comment.
Never seen a DCB with a teak floor etc..
Don't see to many Halletts with twin 300's on the back."
RD, can't agree with your more...one is a top of the line classic, and the other is a top of the line performer...However; don't you remember the Mach22 Light Layup with Drags and all Balsa exposed floor?...not teak, not classic, and not to be confused with Hallett since it was probably to save weight, but I have seen a DCB with a wood floor...hehehe...different boats for different folks..

Froggystyle
09-12-2002, 09:19 AM
DCB
Ultra
Howard
Lavey
Eliminator (Only because of the Daytona though)
You can't count Schiada anymore, and Hallett is off of the chart too. Both are just re-issuing 1983 boats with new tags... hehe
J/K guys. You know what I mean.

disco_charger
09-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Charger
Schiada
Rogers
Sanger (Not the damn Ski Nautiqy things)
Beismeyer
Disco The Retro Grouch
#6 would be Horizon!

Jrocket
09-12-2002, 03:54 PM
Froggystyle:
DCB
Ultra
Howard
Lavey
Eliminator (Only because of the Daytona though)
You can't count Schiada anymore, and Hallett is off of the chart too. Both are just re-issuing 1983 boats with new tags... hehe
J/K guys. You know what I mean.You dont have Ultra at the top?....I am shocked.I fell off my chair when I read your post... :p

boatnam2
09-13-2002, 05:18 AM
well i can see a lot of guys really dont know to much about boats and just see what looks cool as they pass by.you boys need to get out more!

Froggystyle
09-13-2002, 07:39 AM
Jrocket:
You dont have Ultra at the top?....I am shocked.I fell off my chair when I read your post... :p .
Ya know, it is a toss-up. DCB makes a great boat, as do the other top four. Dave's move with Charley has brought him to the top, if only fleetingly. His boats are WAY more expensive than the others, and you get a little more boat. His new "F" series is hot as hell though, and I am a big fan.
Ultra has done some very impressive things for me. I have exactly the gel I was looking for, motor, drive, etc... and it was still amazingly approachable in price. I think that with two more bags of zip ties and a custom wiring job the two would be indistinguishable (DCB and Ultra) except for the phenomenal gel on one of them. Build quality is the same IMO. I really like Dave's smaller tunnels though.
I went up to Howard last week for a look around, and they have some smoking rigging. Kind of missing the point, but super clean. The boats look kind of funny though with the huge deadrise angle, and I hated the interiors. I think you could specify enough stuff with Gene and Mike to get away from the truly tasteless stuff, (i.e. the Las Vegas bowling alley mirrored strips for accents in the cabin) but there was not ONE gelcoat crossover on any boat in the shop. I don't think they could do the design I would want to do on those big clunky looking boats. The 28 Bullet being the only exception. It is a fine looking boat up until the swimstep or the huge expanse of plain fiberglass on the bow. The styling looks to be done with a chisel.
Lavey. Similar to Howard. They had some very nice rigging, but poor choice of components. I did not agree with some of their manufacturing processes, and just the thought of puke on my interior scares me. wink When Lavey puts a curve in their designs, hires an artist to design gelcoats, and stops bagging on other boat companies I will move them up the list.
Eliminator is three spaces down because they are probably the best of the rest. The top of the list is the "A" team. The rest are junior varsity. Sort them out with a wallet I guess.
To compare West Coast custom boats with Formula, Skater and Cigarette is ridiculous. There are no better boats designed for the River and Havasu. Formula is a fine boat, as are Skater and Cigarette. To put them side by side with any of the top Cal Customs would be like a Quizno's commercial though. Cig and Skater are race boats for the most part, and what we demand out here is something they can't provide. We need more than a name and an emblem on the back. We need the total package. The stereo, the performance, the BALANCING ACT that a good custom provides. Enough performance to stay ahead of your freinds, enough stereo to listen over your huge engine, and enough looks and class to stand out in a crowd of hundreds of unique boats.
The "hot" Skaters and Cigs do this by being 16 feet longer. The tall kid always stands out in a group picture. I have heard people talk about that "one cigarette" they saw in Havasu, and short of the Half-Million dollar boats like "Lick this" and the like they are usually unremarkable, or if they are it is because the owner themselves did something extraordinary once they owned it. (paint, stereo, etc...) The manufacturer is still cranking out belly buttons that don't cut it out here.
Oh.... I am soooooo going to get flamed for this one.... Hang on a minute while I go grab an aesbestos coat..

Froggystyle
09-13-2002, 07:41 AM
boatnam2:
well i can see a lot of guys really dont know to much about boats and just see what looks cool as they pass by.you boys need to get out more!Looking cool is a big part of what most of these guys are looking for Jim.
If that is a priority for them (it is for me...) then they need to find a good looking boat with the other things they are looking for.
Not everyone is looking to have their head spin around and shoot guacamole when they drive their boats you know... wink

572Daytona
09-13-2002, 08:17 AM
RiverDave2:
RDHow about this purely hypothetical example; If your dad bought one would you drive it :D

Steamin' Rice
09-13-2002, 08:36 AM
I wonder how many times we're going to bring up this same topic, with the same answers?? :rolleyes:

RiverDave2
09-13-2002, 08:44 AM
572Daytona:
RiverDave2:
RDHow about this purely hypothetical example; If your dad bought one would you drive it :D Well let me start this off by first saying there ain't no way in hell pops would ever buy a kachina either so I guess I don't have to worry about it. LOL
2ndly, being that I pretty much make all those kinda decisions nowadays (as the primary operator and all) it's not something that I would ever need to consider.
Not to worry though 572 crack the jokes while ya can becuase my boat is right around the corner. :p Then I don't have to listen to the Pop's boat comments no more.. wink :D
RD

572Daytona
09-13-2002, 09:04 AM
RiverDave2:
Not to worry though 572 crack the jokes while ya can becuase my boat is right around the corner. :p Then I don't have to listen to the Pop's boat comments no more.. wink :D
RDDarn...then we'll have to find something else to give you a hard time about, I'm sure that we will find something wink Any hints on what it is, I'm sure it will be a jet, right?
Personally for me value is more important than quality. I don't take my boats in 10fr seas in off shore waters and since I typically keep them forever I don't care all that much about resale.
My experience from owning several boats of differing qualities is that they all require upkeep and maitenance and any of them will last 30years or more if properly cared for. I'm more concerned about the ride and performance of the hull and what my money is buying in terms of engine and drive.

XTRM22
09-13-2002, 09:54 AM
There is no doubt I could have bought a bigger or faster boat for the money I spent on my DCB. I really wish I could have afforded a couple engine upgrades but my boat today still gets mistaken for being new, and it's 5 years old with 300 hrs on it. Yeah, alot of maintenance but it's easier to maintain high quality in the first place. Resale value isn't a huge concern although it is worth more then I owe and has held it's value, the only reason I'd sell it is to buy another DCB.
Chuck

Froggystyle
09-13-2002, 12:06 PM
That's what I keep hearing.
Ol Dave must be doing something right... He builds a great boat and backs it up. That's why they top my list. (This week! hehe)

spectras only
09-13-2002, 12:38 PM
Spectra ![1972 24'] Lasted this long, good enough for me wink If it doesn't handle the ocean without a kidney belt , it doesn't cut it for me period :p .
[ September 13, 2002, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

Havasu Cig
09-13-2002, 12:56 PM
I feel the need to defend Cig and Skater. Both are custom boat shops and can do anything you want on the boat as long as you pay the $$$. Formula is a production boat, but still very nice.
My Cig has custom paint from the factory designed by DSM when they ordered the boat. Gaffrig guages with the Cig logo. Marine Machine controls that match the paint scheme, the dash is painted to match the rest of the boat, as well as the stereo panel, battery switch panel, engine flush panel, and battery covers. the guage bezels match the boat, the bolster pedestals match the boat ect...
I have seen others with huge stereo's, mine will get an upgrade in the future. You can get any power and drive package you want. You can get custom interior ect...
Go to the Cigarette owners forum on Offshoreonly and look at Brian Hollis' new Cig he posted pictures of. There is a lot of cusom stuff on that boat from the factory.
If you want to look at a custom Skater go to DSM and look at the 46' "Double Take". This is one of the most customized boats I have seen.
I have even seen engines that have been painted to match paint schemes and Skater and Cig logo's painted on valve covers and flame arrestors from both of these factories. I have not see that on any west coast boats.
There are awesome west coast and East coast or non coast (Skater) companies that build custom boats. It is all up to personal decision on what you want, and how you are going to use the boat.

nozzleboy
09-13-2002, 12:59 PM
I THINK IT ALL DEPPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT IN A BOAT. LIKE HOW LONG WILL YOU KEEP IT, WHAT WILL YOU USE IT FOR AND WHERE WILL YOU MOSTLY USE YOUR TOY. MOST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD DO NOT HAVE THE PRIVALEDGE OF OWNING A NEW OR USED BOAT. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN GOING 100+ MPH. I LIKE QUALITY. GRANTED HE WITH ANY OF THE BEFORE MENTIONED BOATS, SHALL NEVER HAVE TO HANG THERE HEAD LOW. SO I WILL SAY THIS--- THE GUYS AT HALLET ARE DICKS. ILIKE
HOWARD
COLE
SCHIADA
?
?
I GUESS IT ONLY TAKES MONEY. I ALSO LOVE THE V-DRIVES AND JETS OF THE OLD DAYS. REMEMBER WHEN GOING TO THE STRIP OR HAVASU AND LAUGHLIN AS A KID. IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE FAMILLY AND FUN OH AND SNEEKING OFF TO THOSE WET T-SHIRT COMPETITIONS WITH YOUR BUDS FROM THE NEIGHBORHOOD. TODAY IT SOME TIMES SEEMS AS IF EVERYONE OUT THERE IS TRYING TO ONE UP THE NEXT GUY. REMEMBER ITS NOT WHAT KIND OF BOAT YOU OWN BUT HOW YOU REPRESENT YOUR FELLOW BOATERS. MY FIRST BOAT WAS NOTHING TO BRAG ABOUT AND I OWNED IT FOR YEARS.

Steamin' Rice
09-13-2002, 01:09 PM
Havasu Cig:
There are awesome west coast and East coast or non coast (Skater) companies that build custom boats. It is all up to personal decision on what you want, and how you are going to use the boat.Exactly!!!
Somebody on another board wrote something that makes sense to me: "There's an ass for every seat"

XTRM22
09-13-2002, 01:15 PM
NozzelBoy, no need to Yell, we're all friends here. I agree with most of what you say, if it floats and makes you happy it's a great boat!! One of my favorite memories was about 1975, Memorial Day, we had the fastest boat on the big sandbar near South Cove on Lake Mead. That 1972 Crestliner with the 115 hp evinrude would run a blistering 42mph. I try to represent myself the way I'd like to see all performance boaters represent themselves, Safe, courtious, fun loving, rowdy, but still respectful of others. I think You'll find that that is how the majority of the hooligans on this board act. Wow did I say all that, it must be close to quitting time I'm starting to babble again. In conclusion if I couldn't have afforded my DCB, I might have bought another Galaxie, or one of the many fine production boats. I don't think I made a point did I? It's gotta be beer thirty somewhere. :D
Chuck

Havasu Cig
09-13-2002, 01:50 PM
Where is our Pontoon boat going to rank when we buy one? :D :D

cigarette1
09-13-2002, 02:01 PM
HC ... you'll rank it at #2
G

Steamin' Rice
09-13-2002, 02:14 PM
Havasu Cig:
Where is our Pontoon boat going to rank when we buy one? :D :D It depends...What does it have for a cooler and does it have a grill??? :D :D

Froggystyle
09-13-2002, 02:16 PM
Havasu Cig:
I feel the need to defend Cig and Skater. Both are custom boat shops and can do anything you want on the boat as long as you pay the $$$. Formula is a production boat, but still very nice.
I stand corrected...
They are still too big for Havasu. I defend that this is what MOST of the Cigs I have seen have going for them. Not all, as I really like your boat. For the amount of money they cost, they ought to have logo'd gauges. Not that that is an excuse not to have them, but I agree that they will do a lot of custom stuff dependent on checkbook size.
What I am concerning myself with is functionality. The DCB's, Ultra's and Howard's I've seen fit the California custom mold precisely. The size is right for the river, and you can tow it easily, which is a concern for SoCal boaters. Your Cig.... not so much. Much more at home on the ocean, where it looks like it belongs. Kindof like bringing a gun to a knife show. Sure, it's bigger, more expensive to run and is altogether more impressive, but in my mind it is out of place.
I do love them though, and love them even better on the way to Catalina!
Plus, I was answering the question asked... So Cal boats.

Froggystyle
09-13-2002, 02:29 PM
XTRM22:
I have recently been pretty impressed with SleekCraft, Solid boat and very clean graffics.
ChuckThey ought to be... they just copy other manufacturers graphics. HHHUUuulllltrra (Said with a cough wink )
[ September 13, 2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Froggystyle ]

Havasu Cig
09-13-2002, 05:28 PM
Here are some pictures of the boat I was talking obout. I thought you guys might like to see them.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=263659
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=263669
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=263671
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=263680
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=263683
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=263687
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=263693
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=263695
here is some of the "custom" stuff it has. Very trick boat!!
Lifting eyes
2nd throttles / gauges , etc
1500 watt sound system with six - 10 inch subs / six 6.5 mid/highs
3rd drop in bolster
Covergirl Cabin complete w/ electric head!
5 man comp com system
[ September 13, 2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Cig ]

Havasu Cig
09-13-2002, 05:33 PM
Finally figured out how to post the pictures above. Only took me about an hour. :D
[ September 13, 2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Cig ]

sandblasted
09-13-2002, 08:48 PM
Havasu Cig:
Finally figured out how to post the pictures above. Only took me about an hour. :D Very nice boat but why are there controls on the passenger side? It would be like trying to drive my jet boat but my wife has the foot throttle on her side...Scary!!
Actually i think the original post asked about top boat manufacturers in California and Arizona...last time i checked cigarette, fountain etc are made back east...therefore they don't make my list..
DCB, too expensive for my blood but very nice boats.
Howard, makes the best cat , period!
Ultra, great gelcoats and specializes in jets!!
Laveycraft, take a close look. very nice boats.
Eliminator, they may have gotten big heads but still nice boats.

spectras only
09-13-2002, 09:27 PM
HavasuCig, nice pics. My son [13] would like to know some performance specs on your cig. We had our annual vancouver pokerrun last saturday,and he had a chance to ride in the 25 Warlock Cat[posted in ***boat cove] owned by Caleb Reese from washington state.Caleb's boat ran 92 on GPS and my son is now a devoted "offshore racer" fan. I know he'll bug me for ever to supercharge or turbo my old mule V-drive boat wink to try to match some of the faster boat's speed eek! .We had a nice 35 Nordic in the run with 1600 HP on tap ,which is his favorite since he saw a line up of 5 Nordics at the Kelowna pokerrun in august. You can sample the scenery of the vancouver run by going to www.vancouverpokerrun.com. (http://www.vancouverpokerrun.com.) There's a short video clip showing 'rainman ' , riding [22 searay pachanga] along a freighter catching some air under the Lion's Gate bridge.Your boat would be appreciated here side by side with the 42 Outerlimit "Rock It" next year wink .

Havasu Cig
09-14-2002, 05:41 PM
The boat above is not ours but the owner posted on the OSO site that it has 575's for power.
Here is a picture of our Top Gun. We are running 500 EFI's and XR's. I don't know about the tow to Canada, might be a little far for us but sounds like fun. Thanks for the invite. :cool:
BTW: "Rock It" is on of the baddest V's on the poker run circuit. It was just down here in So.Cal. for the Scope run. It was running 130+.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/paa24ad681b1a712ba5c2c74481aaf83c/fd465460.jpg
[ September 14, 2002, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Cig ]

Laveyman
09-16-2002, 04:33 AM
I made an official poll on this topic in the Hot Boats section. Vote away!

spectras only
09-16-2002, 08:27 AM
HavasuCig, I was wondering why "rock it" didn't show up this year.I was told he was running back east !? You don't have to tow your boat up here for the next poker run ,you can have a ride in my dinosaur :p spectra v-drive .There is a poker run in may and one in august in Kelowna .August weather is always 100% .

Havasu Cig
09-16-2002, 01:15 PM
We will have to see how our schedule is. I have never been to Canada before, could be a fun trip. Again thanks for the invite. If you ever make it to so.Cal. or Havasu you and your son (and the rest of your family) are welcome to ride along in our top Gun.

spectras only
09-16-2002, 02:13 PM
HavasuCig, I don't want to advertise b.c too much ,because all you guys would end up here wink The vast waters just beg to be used by all kinds of boats .No problem with water levels to watch for like in az wink . I've been in SD myself,but my family never been farther than seattle.My wife has cousins in SD and we were going to visit them this year,but changed plans.We might go next year though and would love to go for a rip in your boat :D .My son would change his preference of a boat from the 35 Nordic Flame ,for sure!
[ September 16, 2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]