PDA

View Full Version : Power Inverters ??

THATJEFFGUY
03-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Has anyone installed one of these in their boat ? I just bought one and am trying to decide how/where to install it. Any ideas ? I kinda want to mount it hidden near the battery and then run the power to a 110 receptacle mounted in down in the cuddy. Anyone have any suggestions ?

uvindex
03-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Hey Jeff:
What size (watts) inverter didja get? I have a 600W which I use during the Christmas parade in Havasu. I don't have it permanently mounted, I cobble together a rig for the parade using two group 27 RV batteries.
Your idea of near the batteries is good, since you want to minimize the length of the 12VDC cables, of course. Be aware, however, that inverters spark when powered up (at least mine does, by design, according to the manual) so keep that in mind when choosing a location (batteries emit hydrogen gas, which is explosive.) Also, definitely don't skimp on the 12VDC cable size (bigger is better -- your manual should have a table explaining what gauge you need for various wattages and lengths.)
Happy inverting,
CS

JetBoatRich
03-01-2003, 12:28 PM
I would get it close to the batteries as said, what are you going to use it for will decide on the size. I have a coupple different styles for various uses. Radios and that sort of stuff cig. type plug-in. Blenders, etc I use the 12oo watt and for a little more power I have a redi-line and 1,500 watt system. This runs power tools, etc

Havasu Hangin'
03-01-2003, 12:32 PM
I'd second what he said.
I put a 600 watt inverter in my boat, and I carry household extension cords so I can plug in antwhere in the boat.
Here's a basic table for the DC wire sizes and lengths (if in doubt, always go bigger}:
http://pix.crutchfield.com/kb/Chart.jpg

THATJEFFGUY
03-01-2003, 08:28 PM
I mainly got it for a blender..I have had 3 12v DC blenders and they all, suck so I decided to go this route. I bought a 750W so I should have more than enough juice. So no one has done a "semi-permanent install" using a receptacle?

JetBoatRich
03-01-2003, 08:40 PM
I have needed a permanent for the boat, but my old F-150 I had one in the back with a shell. It was great, had power where ever I went. Before the RV, I used to bring a bigger unit with Dry-Cell batteries and set the system up a 3' tent for power in the camp site.

beyondhelpin
03-01-2003, 10:14 PM
Mine is keep in the same bag as my blender. I would not permanent install unless it is a marine inverter. I don't know why you could not do a permanent install with a marine inverter and a GFI with a closeable cover. If you do it, I would mount it where water would not be an issue from wet passengers or spray or rain. Maybe up under the dash. One thing you don't want to shock the shit out of you lady or buds. Well maybe you buds just once for entertainment purposes.
I would check West Marine to see what they have. Just cause no one around here has done it doesn't mean it cant be done. Just do your homework then post pics so we can see.