PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get to Havasu

Kilrtoy
06-16-2003, 10:45 AM
What is the best way to get to Havasu.
Take the 15 up the pass and then the 40 or take the 10 to Rice road and up through parker...Need help..... :D

gigamurph
06-16-2003, 10:53 AM
I personally stay away from the 15/40 route. BORING! The 10/Rice Road way is good. You can also go through Yucca Valley/29 Palms which cuts into Rice Road. We have taken the 10/Quartzite/Parker route the last few times. Little more distance and ya can't drive 100; but it's mostly freeway which I find a little more relaxing than playin' the ol' "Keep 'er Off the Dirt Shoulder Shuffle"! :D

nodigg
06-16-2003, 11:16 AM
I run sometimes twice a week from LHC to OC. The only time I use I-10/Rice road is out of sheer boredom from so many trips on the fast route which is 15/40/. At least to my house in LHC it is 10 miles shorter through Parker and 20 minutes longer than 15/40. But yes, 15/40 IS BORING! Set the cruise control on 78...sit back on the Chevy Sofa and relax for 4 hours door to door. If you are going to Parker, Rice road is the winner in my book.

al cole'holic
06-16-2003, 11:21 AM
I always get alot of shit from my boy when I take the 15 and not the 14 to Pearblossom..

dimarcobros
06-16-2003, 11:24 AM
I went out on Thursday of last week with my dad, and just to switch things up a bit we went the 40 route. At one point before Needles it went down to one lane each way. We went out in the middle of the day so it didn't slow us down too much but still. It could cause more trouble than it is worth on a busy weekend. Just my .02

al cole'holic
06-16-2003, 11:26 AM
What is the travel time from, let's say Palm Springs area??

Ziggy
06-16-2003, 11:34 AM
It all depends on how comfortable you are on two lane roads...15/40 generally is a safer route since its nearly all freeway. 10/Rice road seems to be the preferred route by San Diego county drivers. Think it depends on where your starting from. On the 10 you don't have many repeated grades to pull like the 40, basically one on the 10 leaving the Cochella valley area.
Try 'em both and see which you prefer...

nodigg
06-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Last year they did a major improvement to the 40 and I though finally they were finished and now ...they are starting a new section already! It can slow you down during peak traffic but I am lucky enough not to have to deal with peak times.
Get behind one motor home towing, and then another , and then another on Rice road on a busy period and you better have good patience!
Any how, I think if you are coming from Chatsworth/Simi Valley you would benefit from the 210 extension greatly as opposed to going down south through Palm Springs and then back north.

Ziggy
06-16-2003, 11:48 AM
The only real bad thing about 15/40 is dealing with the weekend Vegas traffic on 15...and the constant rebuilding on the 40....but as Nodigg said, from your home the 15/40 route is best suited.

al cole'holic
06-16-2003, 11:50 AM
I have never taken the Rice Rd direction before, so didn't know how long it was. The new freeway direction you mention is pretty sweet but there is always a little traffic. Like I said anytime I take anything other than the 14 my buddy gives me shit! :D

Kilrtoy
06-16-2003, 01:26 PM
I was just wondering about the traffic on the 40 and the construction. I just hate all those hills and was wondered if the Rice way was easier. Leaving at 7 on friday, had to change plans Daughter graduates from K on thursday.
Since when do 6 year olds graduate. Yes that new 210 is AWESOME

rrrr
06-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Practice, practice, practice. Oh, wait, that's Carnegie Hall. :D :D

Essex502
06-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Kilrtoy:
I was just wondering about the traffic on the 40 and the construction. I just hate all those hills and was wondered if the Rice way was easier. Leaving at 7 on friday, had to change plans Daughter graduates from K on thursday.
Since when do 6 year olds graduate. Yes that new 210 is AWESOME We went out to Havasu this last weekend and the construction didn't impede out trip at all. There is a slight detour at the second rest stop once you get on I40 from Barstow where traffic is routed to one side of the bridge while it is being repaired. From our house in SCV to our house in Havasu took 4:30 minutes Friday (depart=3:00P) and back took 4:45 (depart LHC=11:30A).

nodigg
06-16-2003, 01:51 PM
al cole'holic:
I have never taken the Rice Rd direction before, so didn't know how long it was. The new freeway direction you mention is pretty sweet but there is always a little traffic. Like I said anytime I take anything other than the 14 my buddy gives me shit! :D Oh yeah, the 14, forgot about that one for the north west river rats wink .