PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance?

Lendon Smith
04-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Hi guys,
Just got a quote for the new boat, and man, it is going to cost me about 800 clams a year.
The old one was only 300.
Does this sound right to you? The new boat is a 23xs ultra, and I am claiming a replacement value of 50000.00.
What insurance companies do you guys use? Maybe I can shop around and get a better rate.
Thanks
Bundy

TOBTEK
04-12-2003, 10:07 AM
you should call my guys @ Allstate in Rancho Bernardo. Good Family biz! Call Mike Egan @ 858-487-6111,,,,tell them Toby From BMW sent you :D
They are the least expensive BY FAR I was quoted on our new boat. good luck

Holland
04-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Lendon,
After hours of research... Believe it or not, my best was State Farm. They also had no area exclusions for use conditions. I am satisfied with the coverage offered. My boat is on an agreed valus of 60,000.00 and my premiun is 455 a year. also, my boat is a 2002 caliber1 with an extreme trailer.
Good luck. This is one of the crappy sides of having fun. On the same token, try to handle it if there was ever a problem
Bob

HCS
04-12-2003, 10:25 AM
These guys do nothing but boats.
Leisurecraft Insurance Agency.
(800) 733-5242
If you call I'm curious if their competitive.
I pay 440 a year. Complete replacement value.
My boats not worth as much as yours though. :rolleyes:

mud duck
04-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Progressive gave me a quote this week of $565 per year, and I am still waiting on a quote from USAA (had to go to their underwriting dept for approval). This is for a 1998 Ultra LX open bow. Perhaps I should call State Farm and/or Allstate. I thought American Family was suppose to be cheap too. Oh what a hassle! :mad:

Boatcop
04-12-2003, 01:48 PM
I have to chime in and let everyone know that most insurance companies offer up to 25% discount for completing an approved Boating Safety Course.
As you're shopping around, ask them if they offer the discount, and then sign up for the next class that's convenient to you.
Besides getting the discount, you just might learn a thing or three.

Sangster
04-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Boatcop:
I have to chime in and let everyone know that most insurance companies offer up to 25% discount for completing an approved Boating Safety Course.
As you're shopping around, ask them if they offer the discount, and then sign up for the next class that's convenient to you.
Besides getting the discount, you just might learn a thing or three. I Concure..... :D

Holland
04-12-2003, 07:45 PM
Alan is right, the quote I was given or anyone for that matter, is without the saftey course. State Farm takes 50 off the annual premium for having completed the course, they even sent me the book and test to send in.

Lendon Smith
04-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Hey Holland,
Whats your liability coverage on your policy?
My quote was for 300 grand of coverage.
thanks
bundy

mtndewdrops
04-13-2003, 09:28 AM
I shopped AAA, Progressive and U.S. Boat for my 1999 Essex Sterling (Actual Cash Value 35K) and U.S Boat came in the lowest...489 annually. That is with 300K Liability, Uninsured Boater, and towing, fuel spill coverage, $250 equipment, $1500 trailer, $250 deductable on comprehensive.

dimarcobros
04-14-2003, 08:50 AM
I work for my brother who is an Agent for State Farm. I would be happy to run quotes for anyone on the boards. Always willing to wokr a bit more for a ***boater. Send an email or call:
matt@jonshepherdins.com
626 395-7220
I will have a quote back to you within minutes.

Havasu Cig
04-14-2003, 09:13 AM
I would be careful with State Farm....They insured our Mach 26 that we had and then cancelled the policy 4 months later. The reason was " we don't insure high perfomance boats". We had sent them pictures and disclosed HP and speed and they accepted the policy. Once it got to their main office they rejected it even though we had already been insured. I am not the only one they have done this to so BEWARE!!

Havasu Cig
04-14-2003, 09:15 AM
BTW: Their quote was much lower than the other companies we checked with. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

HBLavey
04-14-2003, 09:30 AM
I'm having a hard time finding insurance for a reasonable price for my Lavey Craft Sebring. Because it's a Tunnel no one wants to cover it. Progressive gave me a qoute for $600 per year and although they say "No Tunnels" they had my make and model in their computer..... I don't know if I can trust them if I need to make a claim. I heard Westmar covers tunnels. Thanks to Tobtek, Mike is working on a quote for me. Is there anyone else that covers tunnel boats?

andy01
04-14-2003, 11:14 AM
Havasu Cig:
If it sounds to good to be true it probably is. That is very true! Watch what you pay for. Most companies can't cover a boat that goes over 50. Your agent might say that you are fine but when you have a claim from a guy on a PWC turning in front of you, you will soon find you are sitting in court with no insurance. If my insurance was $800 a year I would be happier then shit!
Try Bob at Worldwide 800-339-1235
Andy

Havasu Cig
04-14-2003, 02:00 PM
It's funny you say $800.00 a year, That is about what State Farm quoted when everybody else was in the 3k-5k range.

steve0123
04-14-2003, 02:03 PM
State Farm did the same thing to me, and I don't even have a tunnel....

Holland
04-14-2003, 06:25 PM
Hey all... WOW i am surprised to hear that they dropped you!!! They enjoy my check every year... and Never a problem...
Lendon, I am reasonably sure my policy is pretty fat. I remember that it was cheap so I upped a few things. Never had to make a claim (Thank goodness) but I havent had any issues... Good luck!

mud duck
04-14-2003, 07:06 PM
I decided to go with USAA. They are already getting rich off me, so I am sticking with them at $534 per year.
My question is: I claimed my stock 454 had 330 hp, which is close. I think Chevy might actually rate it a 310 hp. However, currently I am adding a B&M 250 blower, headers, lifters, rockers, a new cam and a new carb. After the work is all done I may have something like 440 hp. What is my responsibility to USAA? There were no questions asking if it had a blower on top, only the year and hp of the engine. Another thing is speed, I will probably pick up 5 to 7 mph (may be a little more).
I don't want trouble with a future claim, but I don't want to get dropped either. The motor will not be Dynoed, so these figures are speculation.
Please advise?

Havasu Cig
04-15-2003, 01:44 PM
I was told a story of a person's claim being denied because he had added a blower and did not tell the insurance company. I would disclose it if I were you.

andy01
04-15-2003, 02:11 PM
Havasu Cig:
I was told a story of a person's claim being denied because he had added a blower and did not tell the insurance company. I would disclose it if I were you. I have heard that before as well. The deal I heard was the guy hit something under water and screwed his drive up. The claims adjuster came out and looked at the boat and said no problem, but the guy had his engine hatch up and the adjuster noticed the blower he had added. Right then he looked at the guys paper work and said "you don't boat listed as having a blower" the owner said "No, I just added". They didn't honor his claim and he was out of pocket for the drive.
Andy

Havasu Cig
04-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Your memeory is better than mine...that is the exact story I was told. I remembered that the blower had nothing to do with the claim but could not remember exactly what the details were.