PDA

View Full Version : Recovery of the USS Cole

BowTie Rick
01-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Recovery of the USS Cole (http://www.pianoladynancy.com/recovery_usscole.htm)
Very cool series of pictures. Thought you might want to check them out if you've never seen them before. It is sad to think of someone doing this to our troops but such is today's world.

Cantrip
01-17-2003, 10:25 AM
its a great site, sad, but good.

Havasu Doug
01-17-2003, 10:29 AM
The damage to the Cole looks so much more extensive when it's out of the water.

ACCEPTENCE
01-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Absolutely awesome!!! And to think I thought salvaging/recovering a pleasure boat from the bottom of the lake was alot of work, please...
Cool pics, thanks for posting, G

78Eliminator
01-17-2003, 10:34 AM
That is awesome. I love specialized machines. Man, that's so cool!

JetBoatRich
01-17-2003, 10:43 AM
Cool site wink

Blown 472
01-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Wow, sink a ship to transport one.

mbrown2
01-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Wow...I need an airtight engine compartment on the DCB...So they must keep everything air tight except the storage bays to sink it and not damage anything.

24RODjr
01-17-2003, 12:30 PM
This pics were awesome...but the cheesey music has to GO!

Wet Dream
01-17-2003, 12:54 PM
mbrown2:
Wow...I need an airtight engine compartment on the DCB...So they must keep everything air tight except the storage bays to sink it and not damage anything. I'm sure the engines are in a secure compartment, but with the correct snorkleing, a diesel engine will run indefinately underwater.

spectratoad
01-17-2003, 03:07 PM
As a prior Navy guy that just makes the blood boil. Those guys and gals trained hard and kept it contained. Those are awesome pix.

DogHouse
01-17-2003, 03:12 PM
That's wild to see a huge ship barely floating and then come up for air!
Anybody see the show a while back on the ship that was built to pull a sunken Russian sub up off the floor of the Pacific? That was pretty wild too. This thing had a huge false bottom that would open up and then lower a big claw device down to snatch the sub off the bottom. Not sure if it worked, but it was right out of a 007 movie!

Jordy
01-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Wet Dream:
I'm sure the engines are in a secure compartment, but with the correct snorkleing, a diesel engine will run indefinately underwater. and with the correct oiling, upside down and sideways as well...
Cool pics though.

HammerDown
01-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Truly amazing, and sad at the same time...I never knew how something like that was done...Thanks for the post.

miller19j
01-17-2003, 03:21 PM
The Discovery Channel or TLC did a program on that transport boat a while back and showed a time lapse film of the Cole being loaded it was really interesting to watch. It is amazing that they kept that thing a float with that big hole in the side. They must have a serious Bilge Pump!

01-17-2003, 05:50 PM
DogHouse:
That's wild to see a huge ship barely floating and then come up for air!
Anybody see the show a while back on the ship that was built to pull a sunken Russian sub up off the floor of the Pacific? That was pretty wild too. This thing had a huge false bottom that would open up and then lower a big claw device down to snatch the sub off the bottom. Not sure if it worked, but it was right out of a 007 movie! You are referring to the "Glomar Explorer" built by Howard Hughes for the CIA. That ship was stored for years here in the Bay Area at the "Mothball Fleet" in Benica. The G.E. was clearly visible from the Benica/Martinez bridge but it is gone now or at least moved to another location in the fleet. I don't think we will ever know if that sub was recovered because I think that info is still classified.

Well Done
01-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey Botie......thanks for the link to the cole pics. I've never seen anything like it!

rrrr
01-17-2003, 06:24 PM
The Glomar Explorer was contracted to raise the wreckage of the K-129, a diesel-electric ballistic missile submarine that sank in 1968. A portion of the sub's bow that included two nuclear torpedoes and the bodies of eight crewmen was recovered.
The bodies were reburied at sea, and the wreckage yielded some important intelligence information. The Glomar Explorer was utilized in various CIA and Navy capacities after this event, and ownership was eventually transferred to the Navy.
Global Marine Development Inc. signed a long term lease on the ship several years ago and it is currently working in the Gulf of Mexico drilling test wells.

NEW 2 RIVER
01-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Never realized how extensive the damage was until seeing the photos frown

rrrr
01-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah, and it pisses me off that the Cole was attacked and the Clinton Administration basically did nothing to punish those responsible.
The fault in their logic was the contention that the attack was a criminal act, and the "perpetrators" would be "brought to justice", in other words tracked down, arrested, and tried.
What they should have figured out was that when a United States naval vessel is attacked, it is an act of war, and a military response is not only proper, it should be expected. Good 'ol Bill Clinton and Madeline Albright. Two hundred and twenty five years of history to guide them and they blew it.
Osama bin Laden didn't burst on the scene on September 11th, 2001. He was well known to the government, and his involvement in the Cole incident was a documented fact.
Tonight a bus load of people are on their way to Washington from Austin to protest against the Bush Administration's plans to militarily engage those who endanger the people of the United States.
I am ashamed that any US citizen could be so lazy and misinformed that they would object to the proper response necessary for these thugs. If you really think that George Bush is doing the wrong thing, please take the time to investigate what is going on. The facts are there.

sandblasted
01-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Thousands of peaceniks will soon descend on San Francisco to hold the largest anti-war protest since the 60's...I don't usually wish harm on my fellow Americans but I sure hope they get out of control and the SFPD gets to beat on a few of them...maybe pepper spray a few hundred, maybe tear gas some of them...you know what I mean!
don't these friggin 60's rejects realize that 3000 of our fellow citizens were slaughtered by Arab terrorists that are backed by Iraq as well as other middle east governments..
That was more Americans killed in one day then were killed at Pearl harbor...Non-combatants to boot....
F**k the peacenicks!

Banshee
01-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Great pictures and a great site to. I checked out some of the 9/11 stuff
As for the bastards that did that to us and the other bastards that were behind 9/11
NUKE'EM

Kilrtoy
01-18-2003, 07:32 PM
The best part of that incident is. The ship didnt sink and it is going to come back and kick the living shit out of the ****in desert jockeys.