PDA

View Full Version : Death Toll / Havasu Mem Day Weekend.

carbonmarine
05-27-2003, 09:45 AM
Three die over holiday weekend
By Sharon Dunham
Three people died on Lake Havasu over the weekend in what may be the deadliest Memorial Day holiday on the water. Two deaths have been confirmed as accidental, and the other is being investigated. Authorities reported that recreational divers on Monday found the body of a middle-aged man suspended underwater in Bridgewater Channel; a 33-year-old man was killed Sunday while cliff jumping at Copper Canyon; and a watercraft accident claimed the life of another man Saturday night near a popular boat launch ramp.
Late Monday, Lake Havasu City Police investigators had not yet identified the body of a man found early that morning in Bridgewater Channel. Authorities suspect that the man drowned. “There were no signs of trauma,” said Charlie Cassens, Lake Havasu City public information officer. “He was found face down in 6 feet of water in a classic drowning position.”
Police released a description of the man, and investigators are searching through dozens of missing persons reports.
The victim is described as a white male, 35-40 years old, 5-foot-11 and 185 pounds. He had short, black thinning hair with a “stubbly” goatee beard. He was wearing black swim trunks and a Timex watch.
The body was located near the east bank just 100 yards south of the Kokomo bar, Cassens said. Divers discovered the body at about 4:30 a.m. while searching for lost items on the channel bottom, he said.
The cause of death is unknown. An autopsy, including toxicology tests, should offer more clues, Cassens said. “We have indications that his skin was somewhat red,” which could be an indication of sun exposure or carbon monoxide poisoning, he said.
The city this weekend began taking part in a multi-governmental study to determine how much carbon monoxide gas lingers in populated areas of Lake Havasu during busy tourist weekends. A federal researcher who took air-quality samples on the lake last Labor Day recommended a more comprehensive study on boat emissions in the area.
The results of the study may not be available for months, Cassens said.Cassens also was unsure when the victimÂ’s autopsy would be available.
“Right now, all we can do is speculate about what might have happened,” he said.
Anyone with information on the case is encouraged to contact the police department at (928) 855-4884. On Sunday, scuba divers recovered the body of Seanne Charles, 33, of Manhattan Beach, Calif., after friends reported a possible drowning below a popular cliff-jumping spot in Copper Canyon. Witnesses said Charles struck the face of the cliff while descending from “Jump-off Rock,” according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.
“He hit the water and never surfaced,” a press release stated.
Scuba diver Tim Poe of the Mohave County SheriffÂ’s Department, recovered CharlesÂ’ body at 6:47 p.m. Sunday. In an almost identical accident in 1998, Poe also recovered the body of John Hiemstra, 30, of Palm Desert, Calif., after a fatal leap from Jump-off Rock.
The third weekend fatality occurred when the personal watercraft being operated by Cory Denetris Lucien, 35, Los Angeles, was struck by another PWC. He died from head and internal injuries, according to the Mohave County SheriffÂ’s Office. The accident occurred at 6:20 p.m. Saturday near Site Six.
No criminal charges have been issued.
A review of newspaper records showed that until this weekend, the deadliest Memorial Day holiday on Lake Havasu took place in 1986, when two were killed and four critically injured after two boats collided near Sand Point Marina on the south end of the lake. You may contact the reporter at mbunk@havasunews.com

Boatcop
05-27-2003, 10:57 AM
In distinct contrast, the Strip was the safetst I've ever seen.
One guy accidently filled his bilge with fuel, and burned his boat (and himself) friday.
The only other accident was a PWC running into a boat on Monday afternoon. No injury, minor damage.
A reported drowning in front of Big Bend early MOnday Morning turned out to be unfounded.
Thanks to all who were there for keeping it together.

hd&boatrider
05-27-2003, 10:59 AM
Boatcop:
In distinct contrast, the Strip was the safetst I've ever seen.
One guy accidently filled his bilge with fuel, and burned his boat (and himself) friday.
The only other accident was a PWC running into a boat on Monday afternoon. No injury, minor damage.
A reported drowning in front of Big Bend early MOnday Morning turned out to be unfounded.
Thanks to all who were there for keeping it together. That is what I call a fun weekend. No deaths and people acting responsibly.

Jrocket
05-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Boatcop:
Was that around 2 am or so.I saw you guys dropping the boat in the water and then hauling ass up river.We could hear the radios from your place but not enough to understand what was being said..

Party Cat
05-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Yo Alan....Were you on the water around 10am on Monday ????

BUSTI
05-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Don't ever think that zero deaths at Parker on the strip on Memorial Day weekend was solely because people acted responsibly...a lot of luck spared a few from serious harm. Good hard river boat police work had a lot to do with it also. I sat on the beach at Riverland and watched a 30 foot plus offshore vbottom buzz the gas docks at 80 mph, I estimate, swamping a 181/2 low profile jet boat idling only 10 yards from the gas dock waiting for his turn for fuel. The offshore rig pased so close to the docks that the wave rolled over the docks so fast and with such power from his wake that it knocked to their feet the gas dock attendent fueling a boat and the customer who was standing beside his boat. The big boat then swerved away from the gas docks narrowly missing the jet boat he swamped and 3 jet skiis approaching the beach. Oh yeah if there is a God he was at Riverland this weekend because that ASSHOLE offshore boat driver almost killed a bunch of people there not including the 6 passengers in his boat.
My hat is off to all the boat cops that worked hard this week end and to all the people that did act responsibly and also to our guardian angel who watched over us all. And for those of you that didn't act responsibly go **** your self and shame shame shame on you! I'm not trying to get overly spiritual on this subject but man thank God nothing happened.
By the way I just love Parker! The weather was perfect.