PDA

View Full Version : Stop splashing!

roostwear
09-16-2002, 11:01 AM
Someone was bound to ask the question, and it might as well be me. With as prolific as manufacturers have been at splashing hulls, what started where is hard to figure out. It's time to straighten it out (or jack it up worse).
What hull was splashed from what? :confused:
Let the insanity begin..........

HavasuDreamin'
09-16-2002, 11:08 AM
I don't know who splashed what first, but it seems to me that the 70's era, 18' semi-vee jet boats were the most splashed hull of all time. I think everybody and their brother made an 18' jet boat at one point in time. wink
All tunnels that look like the Eliminator 19' were splashed from the original........that goes for Nordic and Cougar as well as others.......
In fact, it appears to me.....from a looks stand point alone........that Cougar splashed the original 21' Daytona as well as Liberator.
There are a million more cases of "splashing"!
[ September 16, 2002, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

spectra75
09-16-2002, 01:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the SPECTRA 20 hull was the most splashed hull. It seemed to be copied mostly through the 70's and 80's. There are lots of manufactures who copied that hull and made slight changes to the deck.
The SPECTRA 20 is still a very sought after ride. One of the most coveted boats on the river.
I am a little biased, can you tell?

HavasuDreamin'
09-16-2002, 01:36 PM
spectra75:
If I'm not mistaken, the SPECTRA 20 hull was the most splashed hull. It seemed to be copied mostly through the 70's and 80's. There are lots of manufactures who copied that hull and made slight changes to the deck.
The SPECTRA 20 is still a very sought after ride. One of the most coveted boats on the river.
I am a little biased, can you tell?I agree, the Spectra 20 and IMHO the Eliminator 19' Daytona are two of the most splashed hulls
[ September 16, 2002, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

bulldogdad
09-16-2002, 03:25 PM
i had an 1978 borum bobcat,after looking at hb's manufactures edition looked like it was splashed from a bahner,we used to call it popping.where i used to live in winter haven,fl. osborne marine used to splash allison hulls,sold great in south america,anyway still loved the borum :D

RiverToysJas
09-16-2002, 03:28 PM
40' Force = 40' Fountain ........
(not confirmed, just an opinion)
RTJas :D

Dribble
09-16-2002, 03:43 PM
Everybody and his brother splashed the Southwind 18' jet
[ September 16, 2002, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Dribble ]

syke-o
09-16-2002, 04:10 PM
Where did the term splashing come from???? It means copying, right???

Windy
09-16-2002, 08:08 PM
Where is HB "SplashPolice" Jet when you need him...LOL
MissHBjet
[ September 16, 2002, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: MissHBjet ]

Jrocket
09-16-2002, 08:16 PM
MissHBjet:
Where is HB "SplashPolice" Jet when you need him...LOL
MissHBjetThats a good one! :) He'll be all over this one for sure.You guys asked for it now!!!!!!!! :D

shockwaveharry
09-17-2002, 01:02 PM
RiverToysJas:
RTJas :D What would be more expensive? Contracting a tooler to build you a hull or buying a 40' Fountain, striping and fliping it, and then, well... you know.
It's not going to have that stupid nose, is it? wink

MikeF
09-17-2002, 01:22 PM
shockwaveharry
It's not going to have that stupid nose, is it? wink [/QB]Who in their right mind would pay 1000nd's of dollars for 4+' of bow? :rolleyes:
[ September 17, 2002, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

572Daytona
09-17-2002, 01:26 PM
shockwaveharry:
RiverToysJas:
RTJas :D What would be more expensive? Contracting a tooler to build you a hull or buying a 40' Fountain, striping and fliping it, and then, well... you know.
It's not going to have that stupid nose, is it? wink I'm not a lawyer but from what I understand it is (or was) legal to copy a bottom of a boat but not the top. The distinction being that a boat bottom is considered strictly functional and therefore is not entitled to copywrite protection whereas the deck of a boat has style and aesthetics and can be copywrited. So based on this I would suspect no beak on the Magic :)

miller19j
09-17-2002, 01:39 PM
syke-o:
Where did the term splashing come from???? It means copying, right???Splashing is a term used by people in the composite/fiberglass industry for creating a mould around an existing part in this case a hull. The first thing that they do is coat the part in release agent (this may be where the term splash came from) and then start building the mold around it. It is done all the time to make molds for production composite parts.
In the case of boats it usually refers to a boat maker that makes a “Splash” of someone else’s hull and then sells it as their own.

playdeep
09-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Force is gonna splash a Fountain?,I cant see the lord of the combover((Reggie)sitting still over that deal!.Is this a done deal or just a rumor?

RiverToysJas
09-17-2002, 07:25 PM
playdeep:
Force is gonna splash a Fountain?,I cant see the lord of the combover((Reggie)sitting still over that deal!.Is this a done deal or just a rumor?Visit Force, tell them you'd really like to see the new 40' V-bottom they are tooling. They will take behind a big curtain in the back corner and show you. Remember the lines on the top-deck, when you look at a 40' Fountain. Then come back here and tell us what you think.
Why would any boat builder go straight to a 40'er for their first v-bottom offering? Don't you run before you walk? Build a name people trust, then work them up to a point where they'll spend a lot of money on a huge, expensive boat you built!
No, not Force, straight to a six figure offshore monster. Doesn't add up.
RTJas :D
[ September 17, 2002, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

playdeep
09-17-2002, 08:03 PM
RTJ,I remember Dano(Force) telling my friends and I @ the L.A. boat show that he owned a Fountain,an Outerlimits and something else...He was staring down my girlfriends blouse at the time so we didnt take him to seriously...hehe

Charley
09-17-2002, 09:21 PM
Ya know i just dont know what to say to that comment :confused:

andy01
09-17-2002, 10:17 PM
RiverToysJas:
playdeep:
Force is gonna splash a Fountain?,I cant see the lord of the combover((Reggie)sitting still over that deal!.Is this a done deal or just a rumor?Remember the lines on the top-deck, when you look at a 40' Fountain. Then come back here and tell us what you think.
RTJas :D I don't know if the bottom on that 40 is a fountain or not, the deck is off of a 42'.
Andy

andy01
09-17-2002, 10:17 PM
Oh yeah, no beek

HBjet
09-17-2002, 11:08 PM
HB"SplashPolice"Jet here.
I was at Force Offshore, and I will go on the record for calling the 40' Deep V from Force a splash off of a Fountain. No, there was no beak which looked a lot better. When I first saw the boat, I was thinking that it looked so good, and I even told the sales guy that the top design looked so good, I couldn't believe another builder hasn't built a boat like that one before. About 2 hours later, it hit me and I grabbed a Hot Boat mag looking for a Fountain ad, and sure enough, the same.
Let me also say the boat we were looking at was a "Wood Plug" They already had the bottom mold done, but they were still working on the top. It was wood, so I will say they have the plug, but it was a wood plug that you would expect Fountain to have.
As for splashing a boat, yeah, why spend all the money for tooling when you can take a proven bottom design, and change the top, slap your name on it and make some money. Not all builders splash without the knowledge of the builder they may be splashing from. Also, when a hull is splashed, it may not be exactly the same. For example, lets say a boat company bought a 30' Daytona, and chopped off a foot, or 3 and made a 29 or 27' tunnel. Change the top design some, and start selling your 29' and 27' tunnels for a fraction of the cost it would have if you tooled up the design yourself.
For Example:
19' Daytona = 19' Cheyanne(sp)
19' Cheyanne = 19' Shadow & 19' Edge
HBjet
[ September 18, 2002, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

boatnam2
09-18-2002, 02:14 AM
hb would that be like a 27deep vee you could buy at raysoncraft a few months ago but now they dont build them anymore, but dana all the sudden sells the same boat.hmmmmmmmmmm makes you wonder what these guys are doing.

syke-o
09-18-2002, 11:40 PM
thanks miller!!!! :D

superdave013
09-19-2002, 06:43 AM
What about taking another manufacturers logos and splashing them into stickers??
I don't know if it's splahing or not but I'm going to get this one.
http://www.roostwear.com/schpr1.jpg
You can see the rest of Roost's logos right here. They are pretty cool and this is not spam as I don't even know this guy.
cool logos (http://www.roostwear.com/decal.htm)

WETDAWG
09-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Superdave013,
Look who started this thread
I too am getting some of his decals. i like the lake lice "kill" stickers best. :D

superdave013
09-19-2002, 03:04 PM
WETDAWG:
Superdave013,
Look who started this thread
I too am getting some of his decals. i like the lake lice "kill" stickers best. :D I knew who started it. :D :D
I think it's cool that he's keeping this old skool stuff going!

WETDAWG
09-19-2002, 03:09 PM
I agree
Those of us that have older boats are still proud.
I have one of his Southwind decals on the back of my Pick Up
Didn't meant to offend ya man wink