PDA

View Full Version : It's gonna cost HOW much????

rrrr
08-13-2003, 08:43 PM
!@)($&^@&()*%(&^&%(*&^)(_(*&^%#^
In June I bought my wife a 1999 lil' jet boat with a Mercury Sport Jet 175 V-6. She was out for the first time in early July and the engine blew up.
I discovered that the engine had a recall in 2001 because the oil pump drive gear was defective. The dimbulb that owned the boat never registered it with Mercury, so he didn't get the recall info.
I pulled the motor last week and the nylon oil pump drive gear was shredded. In spite of the fact that a recall was issued Mercury has told me "tough shit".
I talked to a friend's dad that owns a boat dealership here, he told me that I was pretty much screwed. "I've been dealing with Mercury for thirty years and they are gonna tell you to get f*cked" is how he put it.
So now I have pulled the motor and I'm getting it rebuilt, it's only gonna cost $4,000 which is better than the new powerhead at $5,800.
@_!_(!@@*&^)@*$ again, effing proprietary stinkin' motors and drives.

Phat_Kat
08-13-2003, 08:46 PM
rrrr:
!@)($&^@&()*%(&^&%(*&^)(_(*&^%#^
In June I bought my wife a 1999 lil' jet boat with a Mercury Sport Jet 175 V-6. She was out for the first time in early July and the engine blew up.
I discovered that the engine had a recall in 2001 because the oil pump drive gear was defective. The dimbulb that owned the boat never registered it with Mercury, so he didn't get the recall info.
I pulled the motor last week and the nylon oil pump drive gear was shredded. In spite of the fact that a recall was issued Mercury has told me "tough shit".
I talked to a friend's dad that owns a boat dealership here, he told me that I was pretty much screwed. "I've been dealing with Mercury for thirty years and they are gonna tell you to get f*cked" is how he put it.
So now I have pulled the motor and I'm getting it rebuilt, it's only gonna cost $4,000 which is better than the new powerhead at $5,800.
@_!_(!@@*&^)@*$ again, effing proprietary stinkin' motors and drives. Was that boat a tango? Does it leak through the pump?

rrrr
08-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Yes indeed, it's a Tango. But there wasn't a leak, the enjum just quit.
There is an oil pump rotation sensor that is sposed to alarm if it quits turning but that didn't happen.
I pulled the carb/reed assembly off and there is lots of neat little metal particles in the bottom end..... Along with all of the nylon particles clinging to the oil pump drive shaft it's pretty easy to figure out what happened.

Tom Brown
08-13-2003, 09:01 PM
frown