PDA

View Full Version : OK, so I put an MSD ignition and a droop snoot on my...

Metal_King
06-10-2003, 09:37 AM
...21' Rogers Open Bow, and the result was an extra 200 rpms. I have a Berkeley 12JG jet with a stock 454 LS6. Before the additions, it tached at 4600. I max out at 4800 now. The boat does perform with a better holeshot. But, I would like to get it around 5200 to 5400.
I thought the droop snoot would get some of the boat out of the water, creating less drag. The only signigficant change is that the rooster tail is more impressive now.
Any ideas for me to get some more rpms????
Thanks
Jason

eliminatedsprinter
06-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Here's the super obvious, get a place diverter, if you haven't already.

HOOTER SLED-
06-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Not to be a smart ass or anything, but you didn't put a less than 5000 RPM pill in the MSD box did ya?? :D :D

Metal_King
06-10-2003, 09:55 AM
eliminatedsprinter:
Here's the super obvious, get a place diverter, if you haven't already. I guess I do not know what a place diverter is since I thought it was just another name for a jet-o-vator.
What exactly is a place diverter? I thought a place diverter changes the angle of the nozzle.

Metal_King
06-10-2003, 10:05 AM
HOOTER SLED-:
Not to be a smart ass or anything, but you didn't put a less than 5000 RPM pill in the MSD box did ya?I had GS Marine install it, so I will ask Greg when I talk to him.

HOOTER SLED-
06-10-2003, 10:30 AM
MK,
I'm not familiar with Jet-o-vators, but I'm sure they do basically the same thing. Place Diverters are a complete cast replacement for stock nozzles. You can get manual(cable driven) or hydraulic(pump driven) controls. This gives you up and down(trim) control of your nozzle. If you don't have one, get one. They work great.
In regards to the MSD box. Look under the bottom of the box. There is a small Pez candy lookin thing that should have a number on it(like 5000, 5200, etc..). You can change this by pulling it out. This sets the built in the rev limiter to a certain RPM level. Of course I'm talking about the RED MSD box, Model # 6AL ( I think the Blue MSD box has a rev limiter too, it's also the marine version). Some of MSD boxes don't have rev limiters. It comes with several different ones so you can change it to what you desire. They don't come with every different increment. You can buy sets at any performance shop though. GS should've given you all the extra ones back. I'd imagine they set it at a certain RPM level for a reason though. You might wanna call before you change anything up and get there opinion. Hope this helps.
HOOTER

Metal_King
06-10-2003, 10:37 AM
HOOTER SLED-:
MK,
(1) This gives you up and down(trim) control of your nozzle. If you don't have one, get one. They work great.
(2) In regards to the MSD box. Look under the bottom of the box. GS should've given you all the extra ones back. I'd imagine they set it at a certain RPM level for a reason though. You might wanna call before you change anything up and get there opinion.
(3) Hope this helps.
HOOTER Hooter....
(1) I thought you could not throw a rooster tail without a place diverter. I have an aftermarket one called a JDH nozzle. SO, yes, I have a place diverter.
(2) I will definitely give Greg a call and see about the limiters.
(3) Thanks a lot Hooter. 5 * feedback heading your way! Much appreciated.

cyclone
06-10-2003, 12:02 PM
metal king do you have pics of your boat? i've got a rogers too but mines a 19', not a 21'. haven't seen a 21 yet and i'm curious as to what it looks like.

Metal_King
06-10-2003, 12:26 PM
cyclone:
metal king do you have pics of your boat? i've got a rogers too but mines a 19', not a 21'. haven't seen a 21 yet and i'm curious as to what it looks like. I have a digital camera, but I do not have a server to put it on the net. I have no clue how to do it. I would love to.

Metal_King
06-10-2003, 12:26 PM
cyclone:
metal king do you have pics of your boat? i've got a rogers too but mines a 19', not a 21'. haven't seen a 21 yet and i'm curious as to what it looks like. I have a digital camera, but I do not have a server to put it on the net. I have no clue how to do it. I would love to.

Slick
06-10-2003, 12:46 PM
I highly doubt this has anything to do with the Rev limiter. What box did you use? Did you put a box in or just the distributer? More than anything it probably has alot to do with the impeller size you're running. Larger impeller = lower RPM, smaller impeller + more RPM.

Metal_King
06-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Slick:
(1) What box did you use? Did you put a box in or just the distributer?
(2) More than anything it probably has alot to do with the impeller size you're running. Larger impeller = lower RPM, smaller impeller + more RPM. (1) It is a 6 amp box...says 6A. GS installed both the box and the distributor
(2) I have never changed the impeller. It is a 12-JGA Berkeley. So, I am using the A impeller. Which is larger, the A or the B?

Slick
06-10-2003, 02:32 PM
A is bigger. You could have it cut down to an A/B or B or replace it with the proper size.