PDA

View Full Version : ISP Suggestions

HammerDown
05-13-2003, 06:25 PM
Ok the "free" 6 months of AOL with my new Dell is coming to an end...who's got the good deals out there...I'm talking (Dial up) service.

jlnorthrup122
05-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Stay away from earthlink they suck not to mention all the hardware conficts. I'd stick W AOL Just find a better price from there competetors & call AOL & tell them you want to shut down your account for a better price from the competetor and you would stick with AOL If they would match the price of the cheaper servise.
[ May 14, 2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: jlnorthrup122 ]

bigq
05-13-2003, 07:16 PM
tstonramp.com, I believe they have a nation wide network.
[ May 13, 2003, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: bigq ]

mickeyfinn
05-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Well I see you have been warned away from earthlink. Not sure why. I'm in Atlanta and have tried about 6 different providers and have been very happy with Earthlink. Have now had this account for about 7 or 8 years. Originally with sprint, then mindspring and now earthlink. (These are all the same company) Just been getting bought up. When I first signed up with Sprint busy signals were common but for the last 4 or 5 years of dial up I never experienced down time, routinely connected at 49333 and never got busy signals. For the past 2 years I have been using the earthlink DSL. They use PPOE dial-up instead of a true always on connection but I never get disconnects and routinely hit between 1.3 and 1.7 Mbps connections. Maybe different on the left coast but here earthlink has been excellent. Never experienced any hardware issues either.

roostwear
05-13-2003, 08:08 PM
I've had Earthlink for 5 years, and the DSL service for 3 and have had no problems. Started out with AOL, but got tired of the internet sanitized for my protection. You really can't beat DSL for $49.95/mo. If you have access number issues, AOL is great, but there's a great big internet out there you'll never see (and not even know they don't let you access!), so if you have to keep a dialup connection, try out Juno for $9.95/mo.
Good luck

Phat_Kat
05-13-2003, 08:09 PM
just wondering why so picky on dial up? You can get cable services for $30 a month. that's like $10 more that AOL. Just a little food for thought.

HammerDown
05-14-2003, 05:16 AM
Phat_Kat:
just wondering why so picky on dial up? You can get cable services for $30 a month. that's like $10 more that AOL. Just a little food for thought. I've just reached a point where I don't want or need to pay anymore than $40.00 for Cable TV or $20.00 for playing on the Internet. Why spend $30 when $20 works fine? Not to mention all the other expenses that add up like Cell Phones etc. Marketing techniques are always trying to squeeze that extra dollar out of you.
Cheep, no...thrifty, yes. wink