PDA

View Full Version : Bad lunch hour

Seadog
09-04-2003, 10:50 AM
My wife has needed new tires for her car for a few months. She calls me today and says that Firestone has some good tires @$340. I told her to let me do some checking and after looking at what Tire Rack had to say, when to look at some of the better deals I found on my lunch break. After looking at what deals the Michelin/Uniroyal offered, I was headed to the Firestone store.
I know its there, because it pisses me off by existing, but for some reason I failed to see the blinking yellow lights. Naturally it was patrolled and now I am out $150 for a 30 in a 20 school zone.
The good news is that I was able to get the price on the Firestones knocked down to $270.
While I am all for respect for the law and such, the school zones around here are used for revenue enhancement. The grade schools are not allowed to leave the schools during lunch, yet it is a 20 mph zone during those times. In thirty years, I have never seen a kid out during noon to one. The schools near the campus are all on the major thoroughfares instead of being on the side streets. They even put a new grade school north side of town on a state highway/major truck route.
I am tempted to try and fight this in court because most of the people I know, including those with kids in these schools, are of the same opinion as I am.

Seadog
09-04-2003, 10:58 AM
BTW, my wife has had good luck with the Firestone on her car for several years (Pre-Explorer fiasco) and it is a real good dealership store, so I have no qualms about the tires, one of their top lines. I will not put BS/FS on my trucks, but she got 75-80k miles out of the last set.

MagicMtnDan
09-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Seadog:
My wife has needed new tires for her car for a few months. She calls me today and says that Firestone has some good tires @$340. I told her to let me do some checking and after looking at what Tire Rack had to say, when to look at some of the better deals I found on my lunch break. After looking at what deals the Michelin/Uniroyal offered, I was headed to the Firestone store.
I know its there, because it pisses me off by existing, but for some reason I failed to see the blinking yellow lights. Naturally it was patrolled and now I am out $150 for a 30 in a 20 school zone.
The good news is that I was able to get the price on the Firestones knocked down to $270.
While I am all for respect for the law and such, the school zones around here are used for revenue enhancement. The grade schools are not allowed to leave the schools during lunch, yet it is a 20 mph zone during those times. In thirty years, I have never seen a kid out during noon to one. The schools near the campus are all on the major thoroughfares instead of being on the side streets. They even put a new grade school north side of town on a state highway/major truck route.
I am tempted to try and fight this in court because most of the people I know, including those with kids in these schools, are of the same opinion as I am. I can agree with you on the revenue issue. Look, school just started around the country. If the police/LEOs are concerned with the safety of kids then there's no reason they couldn't pull violators over and GIVE THEM A WARNING! That drives the message home to those pulled over and to those passing by. When police act like revenue agents that's when citizens start respecting them less and that's not good.

Over 18
09-04-2003, 11:07 AM
you arent allowed to call cops revenue agents here...you know that.

Seadog
09-04-2003, 11:33 AM
The cops just enforce the laws, blame those who write the regulations. I have no problem with school zones, but when no kids are outside, it is not right. You also have to realize that many townies think of colleges as revenue, even tho most of the population is working for the college or a business there for the college. I have been around numerous colleges and it is always so.

Blown 472
09-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Over 18:
you arent allowed to call cops revenue agents here...you know that. lurking, waiting for the right political time to pounce??