PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell info needed

hd&boatrider
04-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Anybody know anything about Lake Powell. I just ran across some real estate out there and want to know if that would be a good place to buy. It seems that you can get view lots of the lake pretty inexpensively (I guess that is all relative isn't it). Page is the nearest town--Any advise on this? Is it worth my time to go up there and check this out? I appreciate any input, negative or positive. Thanks in advance

77charger
04-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Very nice place to boat at we go every year if i could buy a place there i would.Monsoons can pick up in the late summer but they go quickly.If you like all day boating this place is for you.The only drawback is the drive there about 9 hrs towing and food stops.We always seem to find flat water there no matter how crowded.
Btw tom i think there is a retirement community near page is that were you are looking? :D :D

Powerquestboy
04-17-2003, 11:56 AM
If your looking at the property for an investment I'm not sure how well you will do as the town has pretty much stayed the same for the last 15 or 20 years. They are definitely not experienceing rapid growth. They have added a car dealership, Walmart, Jack in the Box, a great Golf course and 2 Hotels in the last 15 years. Lake Powell is definitely one of my most favorite places on this earth but Page sucks pretty bad, if that is where the property is. Absolutely nothing to do, only a handful of restraunts. If it were me and I was looking for a place to spend some time, I would just buy a houseboat instead of property. If the property is not near page then I cant help you because I dont know much about ht e surounding communities. Just plan a trip to lake this summer and take a peek at the property while you are there. I promise it is definitely worth the drive. Good Luck

hd&boatrider
04-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Btw tom i think there is a retirement community near page is that were you are looking? :D :D [/QB][/QUOTE]
No, not yet :rolleyes: I have never been there before so I think I will have to take the advice and just go check it out this summer. What I like is that you can get lake view property there. I am sure that Lake Powell is much more scenic than Havasu. Anyhow....thanks peeps for the input.
[ April 17, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: hd&boatrider ]

DEEZ NUTTS
04-17-2003, 05:53 PM
HD I have thought about buying in Page in the past. You know you will not lose with property, but it may not be what you are looking for.
My reasons for not buying-
It does get cold in the winter and I already live in the cold.
Camping on the lake has always been part of the experience for me and our group. The lake is just to big for day trips.
The lake view lots seem to be very exposed to the wind.
Again, I just dont see myself heading in at 5:00 just to sit in my house.
Check for yourself. Who knows maybe a few years from now some hippies will decide no one can sleep on the lake. Now your sitting on a gold mine.

hd&boatrider
04-17-2003, 08:14 PM
DEEZ NUTTS:
HD I have thought about buying in Page in the past. You know you will not lose with property, but it may not be what you are looking for.
My reasons for not buying-
It does get cold in the winter and I already live in the cold.
Camping on the lake has always been part of the experience for me and our group. The lake is just to big for day trips.
The lake view lots seem to be very exposed to the wind.
Again, I just dont see myself heading in at 5:00 just to sit in my house.
Check for yourself. Who knows maybe a few years from now some hippies will decide no one can sleep on the lake. Now your sitting on a gold mine. Thanks Deez, I will take that into consideration. Cold in the winter isn't that big of a deal to me really but the wind drives me crazy. Besides Page where else is there to do anything?

bakerman
04-17-2003, 08:25 PM
Lake Powell is hurting rite now it is about 70+ feet below what is was a couple of years ago! and as far as what i have heard only one of the ramps are open! (bull frog) so property rite now could be cheap and when the drought is over it could go up in price??? but a bad lake to be on this year. :)

PowellScooter
04-18-2003, 04:59 AM
HANG ON,HANG ON,HANG ON.... Bakerman yes the water is down right now. But please remember the depth in most places on Powell is 200+ft so there is really no effect on your boating here. I notice the difference because I am on the water every day here. A positive effect of low water is more exposed beaches, If you want to camp as Deez does this season will be the best in years. No Bullfrog isnt the only ramp open on Powell The ramps at Wahweap are open although the walk to the parking lot is longer. As far as property goes what view lots are you referring to? I am not sure what retirement community you may mean either.The climate is mild but monsoons dont come into play in town, could cause trouble out on the open water if you arent an experienced boater.
To reply to Powerquest`s comments, the town has grown some in 15 yrs but no its not a rapid growth area, but thats why most locals like it here. Think about part of why Californians go to Havasu or Powell, to get outta So. Cal. cause local lakes are crowded, or closed or have too many regs. etc etc etc ad infinitum...Page doent suck, but it may not be for you, its not endless strip malls and warehouse super-stores or Jamba-Juice stands. Its more like Mayberry and thats why we moved here from Scottsdale 15 yrs ago.

PowellScooter
04-18-2003, 05:02 AM
hd&boatrider check your pm mailbox here I sent you a note, plus its gettin my post count up to tell you this....

hd&boatrider
04-18-2003, 07:27 AM
PowellScooter:
hd&boatrider check your pm mailbox here I sent you a note, plus its gettin my post count up to tell you this.... Read the PM and I appreciate it PowellScooter...Havasu!? People go to Powell to get away from Havasu...lol How would you compare Bullhead City to Page? That is, if you have been to BHC. The moonsoons don't happen up in Page? Doesn't sound so bad to me. I agree about the beaches and as long as there are places to launch who cares if it is 200' deep -vs- 130' deep. People we are not talking about Lake Elsinore...lol Besides, you can have very long walks to your vehicle at just about any public ramp in the summer at Havasu or Mohave.

SchellSchock
04-18-2003, 02:11 PM
hd...
keep us posted. I have been thinking of buying some property in the Lake Powell area myself, so any info a plus

DEEZ NUTTS
04-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Powellscooter, We will be heading your way in 4 weeks or so. I will post when I know for shure. It would be good to meet you on the water. I am curious to see the lake as I have only been going for the last 5-6 years and seen it "full". How does the Gun sight area look for beaches?

jm2drvr
04-20-2003, 09:18 PM
you could get a timeshare/houseboat...that is a option a lot of people do.

CMABadseed
04-20-2003, 09:28 PM
houseboats gotta be the way to go. the fam goes every summer. grab up that boat and party like rockstars for a week and then turn it back in....dont have worry about the other 300 days you aren't there. just my $.02

PowellScooter
04-21-2003, 01:49 AM
Deez, sounds good let me know when you are coming. Gunsite should be fine, plenty of beaches. Just remember you have to the long way to get there, because the Castle Rock cut is closed. Watch out for the rocks that are poking out in unfamiliar spots though.

RiverToysJas
04-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Hey Tom!
Powell is a great lake, I can't wait to get my new boat out there someday. As for buying property out there though, I'm not sure....
The future of that lake is in question. Has been for years. From the shows I've watched and the things I've read, I'd say there's a 50/50 shot they will one day dismantal the dam and do away with the lake. I don't want to get into details or debate, but the arguements are strong for restoring the canyon to what it used to be, before the lake. IF that were to happen, I don't know what it would mean to your property values but it's something to consider.
Now you guys can come back with all of your theories why this will never happen. All I'm saying is, it "could happen", and I'd want to learn more if I were looking to invest in the area. wink
RTJas :D

LakeRacer
04-21-2003, 05:38 PM
RTJas,
While I'm always keeping a lookout for stupid ideas from the eco-nuts, I don't think we'll have to worry about Lake Powell being drained. If it weren't for Powell and Mead, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Las Vegas would all be dry right now.

RiverToysJas
04-21-2003, 05:48 PM
LakeRacer:
RTJas,
While I'm always keeping a lookout for stupid ideas from the eco-nuts, I don't think we'll have to worry about Lake Powell being drained. If it weren't for Powell and Mead, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Las Vegas would all be dry right now. I agree :) , I'm just saying it's something to keep an eye on....
Draining Info (http://www.glencanyon.net/promises.htm)
Water Supply Effects (http://www.glencanyon.net/crssez.htm)
[ April 21, 2003, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

hd&boatrider
04-21-2003, 06:00 PM
RiverToysJas:
Hey Tom!
Powell is a great lake, I can't wait to get my new boat out there someday. As for buying property out there though, I'm not sure....
The future of that lake is in question. Has been for years. From the shows I've watched and the things I've read, I'd say there's a 50/50 shot they will one day dismantal the dam and do away with the lake. I don't want to get into details or debate, but the arguements are strong for restoring the canyon to what it used to be, before the lake. IF that were to happen, I don't know what it would mean to your property values but it's something to consider.
Now you guys can come back with all of your theories why this will never happen. All I'm saying is, it "could happen", and I'd want to learn more if I were looking to invest in the area. wink
RTJas :D Yes, I guess anything is possible but I am not concerned about that. Maybe we can schedule a time to trailer the boats up there and have some fun. I could bring the girlfriend and her children.

RiverToysJas
04-21-2003, 06:07 PM
hd&boatrider:
Maybe we can schedule a time to trailer the boats up there and have some fun. I could bring the girlfriend and her children. Sounds good to me!!! I'll call you this weekend, I should be in BHC Sunday, or at least passing through.

Sleek-Jet
04-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Check out the Blue Ribbon Coalition (http://www.sharetrails.org) , they are on our side. Currently they are fighting the ban on PWC at Lake Powell. And if the "drain the lake" crap gets more serious, I'm sure they will be involved in that as well.
Lake Powell is definitely house-boat territory. And there is always some for sale. The lake is to big just to stay at Page.

hd&boatrider
04-21-2003, 09:16 PM
RiverToysJas:
hd&boatrider:
Maybe we can schedule a time to trailer the boats up there and have some fun. I could bring the girlfriend and her children. Sounds good to me!!! I'll call you this weekend, I should be in BHC Sunday, or at least passing through.
RTJas :D I will be out there with the Harley and a jet boat I bought today from Eric455....I bought his SOuthwind jet and hoping my neighbor is going to want to take possesion of it. If not it will be my river boat. Check your PM Jason