PDA

View Full Version : How far would you drive

fatalbert
03-08-2003, 11:31 PM
How far would you drive to pick up the boat you wanted? Just got back from a 1,500 mile round trip to Elephant Butte New Mexico and back; picked up a 1984, Nordic Viking, 23', 297 original hours, one owner, original owners manuals, all service records; chev 350, vovlo 280 (hydraulic trim). Will post pics tomorrow.
Quite a drive for a used boat.
srs

NMlakerat
03-09-2003, 01:24 AM
how did you like our drying up mud puddle 2 years ago it was 90' higher and now I have to drive to havasu to enjoy good water not that i am complaining or anything. glad to hear you found what you wanted their are alot of jets and older boats in this area that don't or are not used much

BigBoyToys
03-09-2003, 05:06 AM
NMlakerat:
how did you like our drying up mud puddle 2 years ago it was 90' higher and now I have to drive to havasu to enjoy good water not that i am complaining or anything. glad to hear you found what you wanted their are alot of jets and older boats in this area that don't or are not used much I lived back in Las Cruces about 6 years ago and would Frequent Elephant Butte. Sorry to hear that it's drying up. Of course, it doesn't surprise me though......
As far as how far I'd drive to pickup a boat, I'd drive (or fly) anywhere....Depending on the deal and how bad I wanted it.

lakesmodified
03-09-2003, 05:35 AM
fatalbert:
How far would you drive to pick up the boat you wanted? Just got back from a 1,500 mile round trip to Elephant Butte New Mexico and back; picked up a 1984, Nordic Viking, 23', 297 original hours, one owner, original owners manuals, all service records; chev 350, vovlo 280 (hydraulic trim). Will post pics tomorrow.
Quite a drive for a used boat.
srs FatAlbert, though living in Memphis TN for the last 9.5 years, I'm originally from So Cal. I have flown to Calif and towed back two jet boats and 11 jet skis within the last three years! Of course, not all at the same time, for the exception of the 11 skis and one of the jet boats, which I rented a Budget 24 FT moving truck, loaded all the new Yamaha skis into it and towed my Bahner LS-6 Powered jet boat.. A year ago I flew out and met a guy that was from Sonora CA in Orange County, picked up the Targa I presently own, and rented a S-10 Blazer one way to tow it home. I left my parents house in Victorville, CA at 9AM Monday morning, drove until 1AM Tuesday morning, got a room at a Roach Motel, slept until 7AM. Started driving again at 7:30AM and arrived in Memphis, TN at 11:30PM Tuesday night! Drove by myself! 1850 Miles!

Infomaniac
03-09-2003, 07:23 AM
Made three trips in the last 3 years.
All three started with Flew out:
Sacramento - Tulsa
Philidelphia - Tulsa
Pittsburg - Tulsa
Rented something when I got there, drag them home.

VillainDave
03-09-2003, 08:26 AM
When it comes to the right toy such as a boat I say if you have to fly to Maine and drive it back it's ok!

GottaJet
03-09-2003, 09:06 AM
Damn and I whine about that five hour trip to Laughlin.......GJ

burbanite
03-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Flew from Indy to Ontario (CA), bought a truck to drive the boat back home. Took my two teenage daughters with me and had a blast all the way back, sightseeing, shopping (of course) all with the boat in tow. Spent a week just cruising it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Mandelon
03-09-2003, 04:29 PM
How far?......all the way. :D

HAULNZ
03-09-2003, 04:37 PM
We are leaving Tuesday to pick up our new boat in Ft. Myers FL. Boat haulers wanted more than $3000 to haul the boat to AZ. Didn't want anybody towing our new baby. We have a 03 Diesel Excursion, so the trip shouldn't be too bad.

LUVNLIFE
03-09-2003, 06:05 PM
When I bought our motorhome, me and a friend flew to St. Louis on Friday Morning and were back in SoCal Sat night. 2000 miles in two days. If it's worth it I'd drive it.

crazy eyes
03-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Drove to Kearny Nebraska from San Fran. Area for a 21 eliminator daytona. (3 days total, in the middle of winter! It was -22 in wyoming at 2:00 am)
Drove Salt Lake City Utah, for a Sanger v-drive daycruiser, (didnt buy it, it was a piece of shit) That was 23 hours strait.
Drove to Lake Havasu for my 22' eliminator daytona
(just a weekend trip)
eek! eek! eek! Love the road trips for boats!!!!

JetBoatRich
03-09-2003, 07:30 PM
LUVNLIFE:
When I bought our motorhome, me and a friend flew to St. Louis on Friday Morning and were back in SoCal Sat night. 2000 miles in two days. If it's worth it I'd drive it. I've seen inside and out, so I know the drive was nothing in that vehicle.

rrrr
03-09-2003, 08:40 PM
In 2001 I found a '67 Howard with a 427FE for sale in Havasu, made the deal and headed out to pick it up.
I left Dallas with a friend at 8 PM on Thanksgiving day, drove nonstop to Havasu. Going through Tijeras Canyon east of Albuquerque it started snowing like crazy, didn't quit till around Holbrook, AZ. In spite of the bad weather we did 70 MPH average according to the GPS, and arrived in Havasu at 11 AM the next day.
We picked up the boat and took it to a tire shop. The trailer had Goodyear Polyglas 70's on it, we swapped 'em out with new ones and repacked the bearings. Soon as it was done we hit the road.
After all the nonstop action we decided to shut it down in Tucumcari, got a motel room at 2 AM and slept for a while.
We woke up the next morning and got it going, rolled into Dallas around 7 PM. All told it was around 2300 miles in 48 hours.
Now I just need to get the resto project done and bring it back to Havasu for a get together.