PDA

View Full Version : Collision Course

BajaMike
09-29-2003, 08:44 PM
Does it seem sometimes, even on a big, almost empty lake, that other boaters coming at you practically aim for your boat? In aviation and commercial shipping, pilots and professional captains know that they are on a collision course with another aircraft or ship if the approaching craft stays at a “steady bearing, closing range” over a period of time.
It would be good if all boaters and jet skiers where aware of this simple principle. In other words, if you see a boat approaching in the distance, and heÂ’s at your 11:00 position, and a few minutes later, heÂ’s still at your 11:00 position (steady bearing), but now heÂ’s closer (closing range), you are on a collision coarse. If nether of you change speed or direction, you will probably collide.
On the other hand, if he is now at your 10:00 position, he will pass to your left (port), or if heÂ’s now at your 12:00 position, he will pass to your right (starboard), assuming you both keep the same heading and speed.
If you are on a collision coarse, and still some distance away from the approaching craft, changing your heading 5 or 10 degrees to the right should take you out of the collision course. You should make the change slightly dramatic so the other boater can see the change, so he doesnÂ’t turn the same direction. The closer the distance and the greater the speeds the more dramatic the changes in direction have to be.
On a small, narrow body of water like the Parker Strip, where speeds are high and distances are small, you donÂ’t have minutes, only seconds, to determine if you are on a collision course and take evasive action.
Most of the long time boaters on this site know the above intuitively from years of experience on the water. With all the collisions lately, most involving at least one boat driven by an in-experienced driver, it would be great if the new boaters new this simple rule:
Steady bearing, closing range = collision course.
By the way, it works the same for jet fighters, when attacking enemy aircraft at mach 2, only they are deliberately on a collision course.
Make sense??
:confused:
Mike

HammerDown
09-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Shame nobody obeys the rules of the water...the vessel to the right has the right of way, however there are some exceptions to that rule.

mbrown2
09-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Saturday afternoon around 06:00, running from the channel towards the Springs doing around 80, Jet Skier is doing donuts over by Copper Canyon, this guy then aims for directly for me quickly approaching, and what does he do as I drop speed immediately and turn right, he changes course to the left, I proceed to drop the engines and gun the left engine to quickly make a U and the guy finally stops going left when there is about 35 feet between us....friggen some people need to learn the rules regardless of what they are riding/driving....I drop a couple F-Bombs, and the guy puts his hands up like he is sorry, and goes along his way...maybe he learned, maybe he did not..

BajaMike
09-29-2003, 09:12 PM
I swear, the Jet Skiers seem to aim right at you!
argue
Mike

Dr. Eagle
09-29-2003, 10:50 PM
mbrown2:
Saturday afternoon around 06:00, running from the channel towards the Springs doing around 80, Jet Skier is doing donuts over by Copper Canyon, this guy then aims for directly for me quickly approaching, and what does he do as I drop speed immediately and turn right, he changes course to the left, I proceed to drop the engines and gun the left engine to quickly make a U and the guy finally stops going left when there is about 35 feet between us....friggen some people need to learn the rules regardless of what they are riding/driving....I drop a couple F-Bombs, and the guy puts his hands up like he is sorry, and goes along his way...maybe he learned, maybe he did not.. Hopefully he learned...because he would come out on the losing end if it were to come to fiberglass on fiberglass.

Sherpa
09-30-2003, 06:19 AM
on the delta up here, that's the way of life.
since it is also a "river", you better know
what the hell you're doing. espeicially on busy
weekends/holidays...
I've been boating for over 38 years, and been
on the delta for about 20. I was "trained" by
a good freind who lived on the water. only until
the last 2 years have I noticed a problem. alot
of the "wakeboard-types" seem to think there are
NO RULES. NO DRIVER ETIQUITE. NO REMORSE.
So far, no problems myself. other than the occasional "I'm gonna shut that a-hole down
since he's headed right at me, or following my
skiier to friggen close.......
maybe I should keep my mini 14 in the boat now-?
--Sherpa