PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Custom vs Production boats

Mandelon
10-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Explain in 35 words or less why you feel a West Coast Custom boat is superior or inferior to a larger company's production boat. Assuming you were considering the purchase of such a vessel, why would it be important to you. You have 10 minutes to formulate your reply. Spelling counts. Pencils ready? Begin. :D

mickeyfinn
10-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Bayliner, Sea Ray, Rinker, Galaxy etc.....
They all put the "K" in Kwality.
Why spend 2/3 of the money to get 1/3 of the quality?
Never had a west coast custom unless you count the Hondo. We do have some east coast customs that make some bitchen boats too.

68campbell
10-07-2003, 03:47 PM
22 years old and no stress cracks.
http://www.mavericksaloon.org/333a.gif
Most West Coast Custom boat builders care about there customers.
[ October 07, 2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: 68campbell ]

roln 20s
10-07-2003, 03:50 PM
West Coast Custom is better because: more detail oriented, higher quality materials and construction, deal with manufacturers (usually) instead of dealers, get everything the way you want it, become part of a family, the joy, emotion and satisfaction, in your own PERSONALLY designed boat, RESALE!
Hope that isn't more than 35 words, oh well.
Roln 20s

rvrtoy
10-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Hand laid glass vs. chopper gun
more strenght with less weight
higher resale value
do i even have to mention gel coat
build to order just the way you want the boat...in most cases idea

rvrtoy
10-07-2003, 03:53 PM
oops...my bad

RiverToysJas
10-07-2003, 03:54 PM
I've thought this through a few times in the past....For family fun & good memories on the water you don't need a custom boat. Any good boat that's suited to your needs will work. Many production boats have features and comforts built in that the custom builders would do well to take notice of. Merc's 496/Bravo costs around $25,000 alone. You can get a whole 19' open bow ski boat from several production builders for less than that (a lot less in some cases), on a trailer and ready to roll.
IF however, you'd like more than just a family fun boat, and are looking for a performance machine or something with unique style, the west coast custom is the way to go!
Take good care of any boat and it'll last a good long time.
If I was buying a true off-shore boat, I'd look to east coast builders.
RTJas :D
[ October 07, 2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

Dribble
10-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Let's see.
I get to pick the colors, graphics, interior layout, gauges, power, hardware, exhaust routing, prop, delete options I don't need or want, talk with the guys doing the rigging, watch it get built, and say I had a hand in it's design and creation. All for a price that beats most wakeboard cookie cutters and is not that far off from a production boat.
Seems like a no brainer to me.

RiverToysJas
10-07-2003, 03:58 PM
oops...
[ October 07, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

jbtrailerjim
10-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Put a 10 year old mass produced boat up against a 10 year old reputable west coast builders boat and I think you will find your ansewer.
Jim

CA Stu
10-07-2003, 04:03 PM
mickeyfinn:
Sure, but where do you classify say a Cobalt, or a Chaparral?
Thansk
CA Stu

RiverToysJas
10-07-2003, 04:06 PM
jbtrailerjim:
Put a 10 year old mass produced boat up against a 10 year old reputable west coast builders boat and I think you will find your ansewer.
Jim Personally, I think if you use, clean, maintain, and store them simularly, you won't see much differance. I've seem some very well taken care of production boats (and some shitty customs). I'm sure that statement will spark a debate, but it's simply my opinion. Granted, you may have to baby the production boat a bit more, depending on who produced it.
Notice, even though I feel this way, I still chose the custom, because I like the performance, looks, and quality.
RTJas :D
[ October 07, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

mickeyfinn
10-07-2003, 04:13 PM
CA Stu:
mickeyfinn:
Sure, but where do you classify say a Cobalt, or a Chaparral?
Thansk
CA Stu Cobalt I would say is in the upper sea ray class. Chaparral is in a pretty good quality boat but will never be a custom. I guess the Chaparral is a decent compromise. If the boat will serve the purpose then that is a decent choice. I guess another way of looking at it is it will give you the boat you can afford if you can't afford what you want.

roln 20s
10-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Sure, but where do you classify say a Cobalt, or a Chaparral? Sea Ray and Chaparral are good production boats.
Cobalt is great- custom or production, it is one of the best made boats out there. And their RESALE value is one of the BEST in the industry. Their boats are built with the best stuff and built to last. I'd be happy to own one, but would still definately prefer a west coast cat :D
Another company for so called "production" that is definately creating a great name is Bryant- their quality and workmanship reminds me of Cobalt.
QUESTION- What is production? I think you could almost classify Eliminator and Advantage in that category- they both make nearly 400 boats a year. Other West Coast custom builders limit themselves around 50! Just curious?
Roln 20s

mbrown2
10-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Why do I like West Coast Customs? Cause I like to pic the options I want, like colors, power, hardware, stereo, etc....I also like it to perform and not fall apart when running through tough water...
I have witnessed more production boats go to shit than I have witnessed custom boats...

superdave013
10-07-2003, 05:01 PM
RiverToysJas:
jbtrailerjim:
Jim Personally, I think if you use, clean, maintain, and store them simularly, you won't see much differance. I've seem some very well taken care of production boats (and some shitty customs). I'm sure that statement will spark a debate, but it's simply my opinion. Granted, you may have to baby the production boat a bit more, depending on who produced it.
Notice, even though I feel this way, I still chose the custom, because I like the performance, looks, and quality.
RTJas :D Well said Jason. My dad has a 24 year old 18' Centruy with a 305ci mercuiser I/O. That boat sits in the water every day during the summer. It still runs just as strong as it did the day he bought it. (About 48 mph) I think he's had to replace one cracked exhaust manifold and that coupler hub with the rubber deal. That's about it. I can say it didn't get babied unitl I moved away. :rolleyes:
But like you I go the custom route. Bottom line is I don't want mine to look like anyone else.

Jbb
10-07-2003, 05:15 PM
I own a boat built by Tom Papp ....I have always loved West Coast customs....The Gel work from out West cant be matched in my opinion....BUT I had an opportunity recently to spend some quality time on a new Nor Tech Supercat.....and I must say....The build quality,attention to detail and fit and finish are the best I have seen....And its Built in Ft Lauderdale ....The East coast builders are getting some pretty awesome paint work done on their boats also.....But at a pretty high cost....

burtandnancy
10-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Have to agree with Brian, (some) of the east coast builders are very, very good. They do as well with paint as our guys do with gel. Some of the really good ones only build 10 to 15 boats a year.
I'll consider a Cobalt or Chapparal or Sea Ray a performance boat when I read about them in Hot Boat, Powerboat or Family Performance (whatever)..

Dr. Eagle
10-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Construction methods, hull designs, hardware, interior design, gelcoat artwork and overall quality make these boats not comparable to Crown Lines, Bayliners, Sea Ray and others.
The boats are built to last, with lots of features and you can order what you want, not have to pick from one or two choices or colors.

Ultra5150
10-08-2003, 08:00 AM
Customer service is awsome, RESALE VALUE, getting to pick everything from colors, design, interior, stereo, engine package, trailer and even what cover you want.
[ October 08, 2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Ultra5150 ]

HavasuDreamin'
10-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Speed: Because you can't do 100mph safely in a Bayliner!
Style: Why own a Toyota Camry when you can have a '57 Chevy.
Quality/Attention to detail/ability to customize every aspect.
[ October 08, 2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Hermosa
10-08-2003, 09:39 AM
roln 20s:
Sure, but where do you classify say a Cobalt, or a Chaparral? Sea Ray and Chaparral are good production boats.
Cobalt is great- custom or production, it is one of the best made boats out there. And their RESALE value is one of the BEST in the industry. Their boats are built with the best stuff and built to last. I'd be happy to own one, but would still definately prefer a west coast cat :D
Another company for so called "production" that is definately creating a great name is Bryant- their quality and workmanship reminds me of Cobalt.
QUESTION- What is production? I think you could almost classify Eliminator and Advantage in that category- they both make nearly 400 boats a year. Other West Coast custom builders limit themselves around 50! Just curious?
Roln 20s I had to reply to your post, you are correct, some of these production boats are starting to act more like custom manufacturers. I was so impressed with the Bryant boat, I bought one, actually chose it over the 21' Ultra. Nothing wrong with the Ultra, I just wanted something different, and thought a lake style boat would be different. I had it setup with everything I want. Never thought I would do that, I have owned several Eliminators, a 21' Daytona, 22' Daytona, 19' Sprint, 28' Eagle...and then a Bryant? I wanted a lake boat for a change, they really fit the bill for us and what we use it for, a true custom lake boat. There area a lot of crappy production lake boats out there, but take a look at Cobalt, Bryant and a few others, and they are really trying to compete for the quality. I'm sure I will probably own another West Coast custom again, I've had a lot of Eliminators, but this Bryant for now is a good fit for now. Production boat is now a gray area ...
[ October 08, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Hermosa ]

Havasu_Dreamin
10-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Higher quality, can oversee the building of the boat, when was the last time you could go to Sea Ray and watch them build your boat?

Phat Cat
10-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Why would you even compare any custom boat to a production boat? With that being said why don't you compare apples to apples (west coast customs to east coast)? How can you even bring a bayliner into a hot boats forum? sleeping

h2oski2fast
10-08-2003, 02:40 PM
That's easy. One word "Custom".