PDA

View Full Version : Am I just a grouchy dad or not?

Mandelon
09-21-2003, 10:00 AM
My two kids, and my wife leave the lights on in the house constantly. Two halls, bedrooms, living room, family room, bathroom. They turn them on as they go and they don't get turned off.
AT least until I come along and yell at them for it. We have a pool and a hot tub too, so our electric bills are over a hundred something $$$ every month.
Should I keep yelling or just grin and bear it?? Keep in mind we have some of the most expensive power in the country here.

boatnam2
09-21-2003, 10:03 AM
dont feel bad we have the same problem except our bill is usally around 350.00

DansBlown73Nordic
09-21-2003, 10:07 AM
same thing happens here. As soon as it starts to get dark all the lights must be turned on. I will go around and turn them off. 20 minutes later the lights are back on...... burningm I scream and they look at me like im nuts... :rolleyes:

Dave C
09-21-2003, 10:20 AM
hand them the PG&E bill and say here ya go!

boatnam2
09-21-2003, 10:41 AM
here's a routine used by more then 1 of our kids.wake up turn on bedroom light and radio go to computer room turn on light and computer get both phones going,walk into hall turn on hall light(which is 3 lights) to see what temp is,turn on ac even though it is not hot,walk into laundry room turn on light,put in load of laundry,take a look in garage(lights already on in there from day before)go into bathroom turn on light and go to bathroom,head to the kitchen on the way fire up the big screen tv and turn on living room lights,turn on kitchen lights(whole shit load of lights)open fridge for 15 minutes to decide what they want to eat,fire up microwave,eat head to bathroom shower make mess put on clothes and walk out front door and usally leave it open with the air running and every light they just turned on the last 20 minutes on.amazing

Morty
09-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Install dimmers and motion sensors. I installed a motion sensor in the garage that automatically turns off the lights if no movements for 10 mins. It just mounts in the regular switch location. The dimmers will cut down your consumption considerably, if used, of course. Do you have a time-of-use plan? That might help too...
Oh, and is that your wife in your avatar? If so, keep the lights on so that you can see at all times. Don't worry about it.

Cas
09-21-2003, 10:50 AM
I wish my bill was $100 and something every month and we don't have a pool.
Although the kids are getting better at turning the lights off, I'm still changing some of the switches out to the timer type. You've probably seen them in gas station bathrooms, you need to turn the knob to turn things on.
The other change I've made already is to change the bulbs over to those flourescent type. Doing that has already cut my bill $15.00/mo

leibniz
09-21-2003, 10:51 AM
I have 3 boys now and find the same thing. I generally alternate from getting upset and yelling at them to quietly explaining to them about why it's important; and thus far (after 2 years; kids are a little older; adopted) it has made no difference. The wife doesn't really help or worry about it, so generally I just let her pay the electricity bill and every once in a while I'll feel guilty about all my computers being on 24x7 and pay it.
That said, I really like morty's idea. I think it's time to implement a little more technology around our house.

Morty
09-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Oh, I forgot about the fart fan timers.
These are more of a luxury and health issue (getting the humidity out) but they DO save money.
If you use A/C, but like to take long hot showers, then they're perfect! I crank them up to 45 mins before showering and the nice thing is that you can leave the house knowing two things: 1) the AC won't have to battle all that humidity.
2) The fan won't run all day and exhaust all the AC.
The flourencents do save you money, but they don't look as nice, and you can't dim them. I have some pretty expensive flourecents (Pansonics I think) on my coach lights that LOOK like regular incandecents but only use 13 watts. They come on automatically at dusk and turn off at a pre-programmed interval (6 hours later). The recessed can over my front door is on 24/7, but that one too is only using about 13W.
I don't believe in waste. I define waste as un-necessary use that doesn't give me pleasure. Going full speed does give me satisfaction, leaving lights on when I'm not there doesn't.
-Cheers

mike37
09-21-2003, 11:41 AM
I think my lights have an auto on mechanism
I turn them off and like magic they turn on again

betty boop
09-21-2003, 11:43 AM
sounds like a man thing to me...my husband bitches about this all the time....but damn that toilet seat is still up...

Kilrtoy
09-21-2003, 11:47 AM
No
Just a dad not wanting to waste money

mike37
09-21-2003, 11:52 AM
sunbunny:
sounds like a man thing to me...my husband bitches about this all the time....but damn that toilet seat is still up... it dosent cost any ting to leav the seat up

betty boop
09-21-2003, 11:54 AM
it does everytime my ass falls into the toilet and i have to turn on the lights to grab a towel to dry my ass off...then more money to have to wash the towel ---- if it had just been kept down it would cost nothing!!!!!!

mike37
09-21-2003, 11:58 AM
sunbunny:
it does everytime my ass falls into the toilet and i have to turn on the lights to grab a towel to dry my ass off...then more money to have to wash the towel ---- if it had just been kept down it would cost nothing!!!!!! with my boys around youd have to dry your ass
ether way I think thats the only time they dont turn on the lights

bordsmnj
09-21-2003, 12:37 PM
bitching about the lights being left on , doors open with ac running,etc is an american tradition!
why break tradition now? :D the handing them the bill thing would be funny though :cool:

Mandelon
09-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Alright then. I am glad it is not just me. When Cali had the big electricity problems last year we all got into the spirit and called "Light Monitor" on any power wasters....but now, they are all lazy.
I will keep trying, but I know it won't work! :rolleyes:

HammerDown
09-21-2003, 02:06 PM
My Dad did'nt like it when I stood and looked into the Fridge when I wanted something to eat. He'd say "will ya close the door please, were not trying to cool the house"...I'd say but Pop's :D ..."how am I supposed to know what I want to eat unless I look inside" :rolleyes: . He'd say "your supposed to know what ya want before you open the door". And I reply..."but Pop's :D , how do I know what Ma put in there unless I take a look see :p "?
It was an Italian house hold...just imagine the hands and arm's flinging up and down, like the Sopranos...funny as hell. :D
[ September 21, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

VillainDave
09-21-2003, 04:31 PM
I with you Mandelon they just don't understand till they have to pay it!

CEO
09-21-2003, 07:47 PM
I hear your pain! My damn electric bill is always in the high 4s during the summer. I just finally got tired of yelling and always saying, turn off the lights, who left the a/c on when we were all gone this weekend?" I have come to the conclussion, it's not worth all the aggrevation to me to be irritated at the kids and all their normal everyday stuff they do day after day.
I feel much better in the mind, but alot less in the wallet.
[ September 21, 2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: CEOinSoCal ]

Fiat48
09-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Same problem at my house, but I went several steps further. I bought a little meter called "Kill A Watt", that you can read how many watts each item in the house uses. We had 2 refrigerators, one in the garage. After a 24 hour reading on both, they were costing $60 a month to run. 1 is now at the dump. The other scheduled for replacement. I'm reading all lights and appliances in the house. The computer I am using is sucking up 300 watts as I type. And all those little cell phone chargers and what not take power even when they are just plugged into the wall and not hooked to anything else. Not sure of all changes that will be made, but at least everyone is aware how much each device costs to run. I'm tired of $300 a month power bills also.

bchbum
09-21-2003, 09:27 PM
I took some of the bulbs out of my kids ceiling fans in their rooms . Also put the seat & the lid down -everyone has to open something then , plus if you have small kids they won't drop things in it .

mmered8299
09-22-2003, 05:19 AM
My dad would remove the light bulb! I would go and turn on the light and it wouldn't work. WTF. That when I started to understand my Father.

drbones
09-22-2003, 05:53 AM
Man all of this sounds like home...
I do the remove the light bulb also...
and only having 1 bulb in the ceiling fans help...
went up stairs saturday morning to wake oldest up...he had the fan running in the window..with the window open..and his wall heater on. burningm ....he said he was cold... argue ....
maybe if I tell them if they can save 100 dollars a month on elect bill...I will spend the 100 extra a month on vacation or something...
It would do me no good to hand them the elect bill.. they couldnt afford to pay it and it would get shut off...

Freak
09-22-2003, 07:34 AM
smile_sp
[ September 22, 2003, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Freak ]

Morty
09-22-2003, 07:39 AM
Of course it cost you money...maybe
If you run your AC I would think the trade-off is worth it. The idea is that you only run the fan enough to exhaust all the hot humidity, and if you're leaving the house you have 2 choices.
1. leaving it run all day (costing you $$$)
2.(what most people do) turn it off before they leave, and leaving a lot of humidity that has potential damaging effects on the bathroom, which is going to cost much more than a few cents. Besides, it could affect your health..
Just my 2 cents...

Sherpa
09-22-2003, 07:52 AM
I have three little girls... ages 8, and twins are
6. plus, the wife must think that PG&E is free
or something...
so, I'm looking into buying timer switches for all
their rooms, and the bathroom. max setting is like 15 minutes...... rotary dial type....
--Sherpa

Slick
09-22-2003, 08:13 AM
You can do with the lights what I'm going to do if our 8yro locks her door one more time. If it gets locked again, off the hinges it come and she'll have to live without a door for a while. If they don't shut the lights off, take the bulbs out.

Ziggy
09-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Its the other way in my house--wife is the one who calls us on leaving lights on...although our daughter is the main culprit. Do you really need that 100watt light to see down the 20 foot hallway you've walked 3000 times? :rolleyes:

uclahater
09-22-2003, 11:45 AM
sunbunny:
it does everytime my ass falls into the toilet and i have to turn on the lights to grab a towel to dry my ass off...then more money to have to wash the towel ---- if it had just been kept down it would cost nothing!!!!!! You dont here us bitchen when you leave the toilet seat down even though you know we need it up idea

OGShocker
09-22-2003, 12:13 PM
I would not know a light bill from a ducks bill. Mrs. Shocker pays the bills. I do not have a check book or ATM. I know when things get a little tight though..... She follows me around the house barking at me like she was Mandelon! That is fine with me, when we need to go to the lake we go......and she buys the fuel!

Akamatsu
09-22-2003, 12:48 PM
Mandelon:
We have a pool and a hot tub too, so our electric bills are over a hundred something $$$ every month. I understand the pool pump using electricity, but why does your boat???? :D :D Sorry, just couldn't resist the comment... I would be incredibly happy with a $100/mo. electricity bill. Mine runs around $300 - $400 during the summer months, and near $200 in the winter.
BTW- Yes, you sound like a grouchy dad. After reading all the happenings in the past days here on ***boat, I think it best to step back and be thankful for everything you have, especially your children. I have a tendency to be grumpy when I get home from work, and I typically regret it later.
I find when I am getting ready to leave for work in the morning, I go into my kids rooms, give them a kiss good bye, and then just sit there and marvel at them while they are sleeping. There is no feeling in the world that compares to being a father. I am sure all of you parents out there will agree.
Akamatsu
[ September 22, 2003, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Akamatsu ]

Ziggy
09-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Akamatsu:
[QUOTE]There is no feeling in the world that compares to being a father. I am sure all of you parents out there will agree.
Akamatsu Here, here!! They are the cutest, darn money wasters I've ever laid eyes on. wink

rrrr
09-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Boy, this sounds familiar. My wife can't turn off a light, leaves closet doors open, and cabinet doors too.
I found the only way to modify her behavior was to not replace the burned out bulbs. I cheerfully hand the new bulb to her and tell her to be careful on the ladder.
We have tall ceilings.... :D :D

Mandelon
09-22-2003, 01:30 PM
Yes, te cute. Especially when they are sleeping. :D
But why not teach them to not be wasteful as part of all the other things I teach them?

Mandelon
09-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Yes, they are cute. Especially when they are sleeping. :D
But why not teach them to not be wasteful as part of all the other things I teach them?
[ September 22, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

ROZ
09-22-2003, 02:10 PM
sunbunny:
it does everytime my ass falls into the toilet and i have to turn on the lights to grab a towel to dry my ass off...then more money to have to wash the towel ---- if it had just been kept down it would cost nothing!!!!!! That's exactly why I don't lift the seat. Her butt gets wet anyway.... :D