PDA

View Full Version : Broken ribs

Jungle Boy
10-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Just wondering if any of you folks out here have had the pleasure of breaking ribs before. I was involved in a slight boating wipe out on my first day off, on Sept 19 th and broke 6 ribs. I thought I was doing alright but now that I'm back at work, I'm one sore ****er. How long is this going to take to get better? frown

DansBlown73Nordic
10-11-2003, 05:50 AM
It takes a very long time.

HOSS
10-11-2003, 06:00 AM
About 6-8. Don`t do much and they heal quicker. Gotta remember (which I`m sure right now you know all to well) that breathing moves them. So less movement equals quicker healing. Pain stops after 3.

UBFJ #454
10-11-2003, 06:04 AM
A Veeerrrrrry looooooonnnnnnnng tiiiiimmmmmeeeeee!
Depending on what ribs and your age, they can hurt for years ... possible forever.

Lady Rat Attack 1
10-11-2003, 06:43 AM
My husband cracked a couple ribs and we had already planned a road trip. So of course eveytime he had to cough it was misery. We put a towel around his ribs and when he had to cough we pulled it reallll tight. He said it helped a litle bit. Hope you don't get the cough's. :( Get well soon and take it easy. :)

burbanite
10-11-2003, 07:00 AM
Jungle Boy:
I was involved in a slight boating wipe out on my first day off, ??????

HCS
10-11-2003, 07:14 AM
I cracked some ribs one day waterskiing. Then (like a dummy) the
next week I went skiing again and hit the same
ribs.
After that it took about a year for them to quit hurting.
[ October 11, 2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: HARDCORE-SKI ]

Coughlin's Law
10-11-2003, 07:40 AM
What seemed to cause the most pain was when I sneezed. I had only cracked 1 rib, but when I had to sneeze (which was every morning due to allegeries) it was extremely painful.
On thing you can do is get an abdominal wrap. It will kind of hold everything together. The less movement, the better.
Coughlin

Infomaniac
10-11-2003, 08:08 AM
Whats with the rib injuries Jungle Boy Seems like that is common in your type of boats.
Can something be redesigned?

Jungle Boy
10-11-2003, 08:31 AM
burbanite:
Jungle Boy:
I was involved in a slight boating wipe out on my first day off, ?????? Long story, short. I was on my way home from the airport and a buddy called to say that there was 5 boats running up the Upper Red Deer river and I HAD to come. These are the little 16 ft boats that are powered by 240 hp sportjets. They are a ton of fun in the right hands. I jumped in with a crazy guy and we ran up river (which is very low at this time of year). We were having a lot of laughs running some back channels and jumping logs & shit. On the trip back down we were chasing another boat and didn't make a corner. We nailed that bank and shot over to the other side and hit it at about 30 MPH and flipped the boat over. We both ended up under it in about 1 foot of water. I managed to crawl out and the other guy did the same. The channel we were in was about 8 ft wide and a 1 ft deep with logs and rocks scattered around for something to hit.
Info - as for making the boats different, I'm not sure what can be done when the driver is driving like a ****ing fool. For the last 30 seconds of the ride I was telling him slow down, cause the boat we were following was throwing rocks at us. There was no way we were going to be able to pass. He just gets caught up in the fun too much. This can be racked up to driver error.

missboatnam1
10-11-2003, 10:17 AM
holy shit jungle boy, thats crazy!!
i heard ribs are one of the most PAINFUL things!!
hang in there!!! eek!

Tom Brown
10-11-2003, 10:23 AM
I'm sorry about your ribs JB but I'm sure glad you weren't hurt worse.
Broken ribs will be sore as hell for a long time and tender for a very long time. On the bright side, it's nice to know when it's going to rain.
Get well,
Tom

spectras only
10-11-2003, 12:17 PM
JB, my brother broke 7 ribs & lost a few front teeth crashing an airplane [in his airforce days].He has long forgot the pain about the ribs, but he's reminded of the crash every time when looks in the mirror :D . I think he complained of some discomfort for a few months , but he was/still a tough mofo at 73 :cool:
[ October 11, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

Buff
10-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Sorry Jungle but you is in for some serious uncomfortability. Back in the day I flipped a 450 Maico at Corona Raceway nighttime MX. I landed flat on my stomach and lay there thinking, "Hey - I'm okay. Then the Maico landed on me and smashed three ribs. Christ I was six months healing and as far as sneezing - well - you'll see.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, about three or four months into the healing process some bear-looking freak in an El Monte bar mistook me for someone else and started a fight with me and the idiot bastard got me in a bear-hug and re-broke my ribs and I had to start healing all over again!
Damn Jungle - you got six broken ribs! Damn!

Jungle Boy
10-12-2003, 01:12 AM
I have managed to supress all sneezing :( . Jacking off is now possible, so things aren't all that bad. Life goes on. :D

burbanite
10-12-2003, 07:20 AM
Glad you're OK and that sex (even by yourself) is back on the agenda. :D

missboatnam1
10-12-2003, 01:27 PM
hey buff, my brothers use to race there all the time.....what years did you race there?..
and thats a pretty sad storie about the bar delio....see what happens in bars wink

FMluvswater
10-12-2003, 03:06 PM
Pain rots JB. :( The simplest tasks you take for granted are bound to cause discomfort -- don't reach for anything on the top shelf of the cupboard - get someone else to do it. Take it easy. Hope you heal quickly. :)

Buff
10-12-2003, 07:08 PM
Dear Miss Boatnam,
It was back in the MXing stone age - the '70s. We raced at Corona, Ascot, Saddleback, Carlsbad, Escape Country, Indian Dunes, Rawhide, Moorpark, Deadman's Point, Osteen's, Edwards AFB, and believe it or not -Huntington Beach! We even did the Saturday night TTs now and again at Perris and Elsinore.
The really good times were when we raced Thursday night at Ascot, Friday night at Corona, Saturday day at Corona, Saturday night at Perris or Elsinore and Sunday at Saddleback. Man that beer used to taste good come Sunday night! Of course those marathon racing weekends only happened a few times - the bikes and bodies tended to not always be up to the task. I'll bet your brothers and I bumped handlebars a few times back then. Thanks for letting me wax a little nostalgic here. I hope I am not too far out of bounds bringing up motocrossing in a hot boat forum.

Infomaniac
10-12-2003, 07:23 PM
FMluvswaterbabe:
Pain rots JB. :( The simplest tasks you take for granted are bound to cause discomfort -- - get someone else to do it. Take it easy. Hope you heal quickly. :) That is what I was going to suggest about the jerking off. Some sweetie is bound to give you some sympathy hand jobs. Milk it man.

Kim Hanson
10-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Note to self: " never go for a ride with JungleBoy "! :D ......( . )( . )........Mine hurt for about 2 mths. and it hurt like hell to even take small breaths frown

rrrr
10-13-2003, 11:20 AM
Hey Buff, you musta been a tough one to ride a Maico 450. Hell, I remember thinking it was an accomplishment when I could start my buddy's 450 without it biting me back.
Yeah, them was the "Good Old Days"... :D

SERIOUS ISSUES
10-13-2003, 11:25 AM
my wife and I got ejected from my biesemeyer in havasu about 2 years ago. she broke 2 ribs and cracked a third. they still hurt her if she hits them. I have cracked ribs my self and after about 4 weeks felt great. big differance when they crack or break and go back to where they belong and when they break and overlap eachother a little. My wife has the overlapped rib action.

Jungle Boy
10-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Note to Kim - I wasn't driving :D . I'm still very safe to drive with. :cool:

missboatnam1
10-13-2003, 06:39 PM
buff, yep. it was in the 70's, of corse i was just a youngter..LOL, but we went to all them places!!
does troy fisher or jay fisher sound fimilar?
....thanks for writing i enjoyed it!! brought back many many memories!! :D

anxious
10-13-2003, 09:38 PM
took me two months to fully recover from two broken ribs. about twor three times a year i pop the same two out of place and it hurts like a
bi!#@ for another week. cry