PDA

View Full Version : Kids not in school, do you say something?

Wet Dream
08-27-2003, 10:50 AM
My boys 7 and 4 have been playing with the neighbor kid (8) all summer long. School started last week, but the kid they were playing with wasn't seen going to the bus so far. At noon today there is a knock on the door and the 8yr old is there asking to play with my kids. The 4yr old was the only one home so I let him in. I asked him why he wasn't in school and he said that his mom said his grades aren't good enough. I asked him again, he gave a different answer. I come to find out that his sister (12) isn't in school either. Do you go to the parents, the school or mind your own business? I don't think a kids education should be ignored.
Any thoughts?

topless
08-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Maybe they are home schooled.

GrapeApe
08-27-2003, 10:54 AM
They may be getting Home Tutored.. A lot of Parents do that these days.. Do you know the Parents of the kids? I would work it into a conversation, and ask about school..
*** Grape Ape ***

summerlove
08-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Call school. Don't cause a big neighborhood rift by confronting the parents - it's between the state (school district) and them, not you. It is your biz to report them - Stories like that blow me away.
my .02

JetBoatRich
08-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Kids need some sort of schooling, does not hurt to know what is going on with them. frown

superV
08-27-2003, 10:58 AM
In most cases I would say mind your own bizz. But in the case of kids I think something should be done. What is the mom like? Are they dead bet parents or what? I think I would start by calling the school and let them do the dirty work.After all you have to live near these people and your kids are found of them.
I can tell you people like this really piss me off. Its hard enuff to get by these days muchless without a education. :mad:

HammerDown
08-27-2003, 11:06 AM
Tell that little prick to get his A$$ in School...I'm sick and tired of paying F$$K'ing School taxes for kids that don't go...And what really goes up my you know what....Is I don't even have any kids...but I still have to pay! :mad:
And before ya say well Hammer...your parents had to pay school taxes for you to go to school...yea...they payed for ME. So why do I have to pay for someone else's (EDITED) kid to go to school!

HOOTER SLED-
08-27-2003, 11:23 AM
Year round schools maybe?? Maybe they are off track?? Oh, my bad, that's probably just a California thing. I hate that shit. :mad:

blownmoney
08-27-2003, 12:31 PM
IF THE KID IS COMING TO YOUR HOUSE , TO PLAY WITH YOUR KIDS , I THINK YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO KNOW THE DEALIO, WALK NEXT DOOR, SOME TIME AND ASK IF HE'S GETING HOME SCHOOLING, IF NOT REPORT THERE ASS!!

MJ19
08-27-2003, 01:35 PM
The school may already be aware of the child's situation...Maybe the child left the school last spring to be home schooled...maybe the parents are 'hiding' (have you seen this child on the milk carton lately?) wink
If I were in your shoes, I would call the school district and let them handle it.

wideopen545
08-27-2003, 06:04 PM
bill i would call the school just to check it out

Mandelon
08-27-2003, 06:44 PM
HammerDown:
Tell that little prick to get his A$$ in School...I'm sick and tired of paying F$$K'ing School taxes for kids that don't go...And what really goes up my you know what....Is I don't even have any kids...but I still have to pay! :mad:
And before ya say well Hammer...your parents had to pay school taxes for you to go to school...yea...they payed for ME. So why do I have to pay for someone else's (EDITED) kid to go to school! Cuz if they are not given an education, they will end up on welfare and then you will have to pay more. With an education they will get good jobs and make more money than you and pay more taxes than you so you won't have to pay even more. :D :D How's that?

Floatin'
08-27-2003, 06:51 PM
Maybe they go to Private School, I say if your kids are playing with a neighbor kid and you don't know the kids parents you should go over and introduce yourself.

Wet Dream
08-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Well, as far as the family goes its a weird situation. The kids live with "Aunt and Uncle" and mom comes to visit every once in a while, although she lives a few miles away. Uncle is on Permanent disability, but its nothing to see him climbing trees to trim them. Thats how he got PD. He also seems to suffer from some sort of bi-polar imbalance. Thats a whole different issue. :rolleyes: Aunt has a regular job. They aren't homeschooled (its pretty big out here) but my wife did ask the school about what they were doing and the reply from the school was that they are enrolled in a different district. How they do that is beyond me, but the school seems to ok it. It really is none of my business, but in trying to keep a kid from getting screwed out of an education I had to ask.
Thanks guys.

Her454
08-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Something does not sound right. Might be "enrolled" in a different district, but they are not "attending", period. If it were me, and my kids played with them, I would find out a little more and push the issue with the school as the suspicious and protective side of me would make me wonder if there is more to it. Too many freaky things go on these days right in our own back yards and no one knows till its too late.

NastyOne
08-29-2003, 01:22 PM
It seems to me like the kids have gone through some shit as it is. Maybe they don’t have anyone with a clear head on their shoulders to look after their best interest for them. You should look into this a little more. A couple hours of your time to straighten this shit out could mean a better life for the kids. You are a good man WD for just getting the ball rolling by calling the school. Also I think Floatin' has a good idea.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
08-30-2003, 06:34 AM
It sounds to me like nobody wants to take the time to get off their a$$es and get the kids to school. I'd bet they are "enrolled" in the district their mother lives in. Wet Dream, you did your part and all that anyone would expect from you. I would confront the school again though, because I'm a bitch. These kids deserve an education, and not only that, if they don't get it, they are going to be bums or thieves in a few short years. :mad:

DansBlown73Nordic
08-30-2003, 09:08 AM
Something sounds Fishy....Are three kids have been Home Schooled for the last four years. they are going to public school this year. They were always very busy so im sure these kids aren't doing home school.
These are the type of kids who end up killing people, stealing anything they can get there little mits on. And so on..... burningm
Im sure if you got the real story.....You would say. jawdrop

superdave013
08-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Mandelon:
HammerDown:
And before ya say well Hammer...your parents had to pay school taxes for you to go to school...yea...they payed for ME. So why do I have to pay for someone else's (EDITED) kid to go to school! Cuz if they are not given an education, they will end up on welfare and then you will have to pay more. With an education they will get good jobs and make more money than you and pay more taxes than you so you won't have to pay even more. :D :D How's that? That's bullshit if you ask me. I am like Hammer. No kids. Why do people with kids get a tax break when they are using the public school system?? It's not like anyone in my family is riding in the big yellow bus. So why the **** an I getting tossed under it?
Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to pay taxes but I don't think I should pay more because I don't have kids.
How's that?

HammerDown
08-30-2003, 12:36 PM
$1,800 bucks out of my pocket this month for School Taxes...And I dont even have any RugRats! WTF! burningm Something aint right here.

Trailer Park Casanova
08-30-2003, 12:45 PM
We have a few home school kids in our neighborhood.
The other common thread is they're usually families that belong to some scary religion and they beat the crap outta their kids for the slightest infraction.

Wet Dream
08-31-2003, 11:36 AM
Our district started a little early this year due to a construction project slated for next summer, so I'm going to see what happens when the "other" school starts. If the kids aren't there, I'm going in deep. There is nothing wrong with homeschooling, but there are certain parents that just aren't cut out for the job. This is one of those situations.
As for the paying taxes part...I'm pretty easy going on the subject. The way I see it, someone who didn't have kids also had to pay these taxes back then and paid for my education. It's something that you do and have to live with. You're doing your part, so to speak, for the kids. I'm keeping an eye out, but don't want to seem like I'm intruding. I do know the "uncle" and like I said earlier, there is a chemical imbalance that seems to rear its ugly head once in a while. One minute he is more than willing to BS with you and the next he's bitching because his anemic cat is dead in the back yard and wants to blame your neighbors dog. Long story, wont go there today. :D

superdave013
08-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Wet Dream, I don't mind paying my taxes. I mind that I'm paying more then you.
As far as the kids not in school. Yeah, that would bug the shit out of me too. I'ed try to stay out of it but I'm sure I'ed end up doing the same thing that you are.
More power to ya and I hope you can make a difference.

Wet Dream
08-31-2003, 04:51 PM
superdave013:
Wet Dream, I don't mind paying my taxes. I mind that I'm paying more then you.
They're not kids...they're tax deductions. :D

Seadog
09-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Report them to child welfare and 'just' mention that you felt they should investigate the situation before the media finished their investigation.

MJ19
09-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Wet Dream:
Well, as far as the family goes its a weird situation. The kids live with "Aunt and Uncle" and mom comes to visit every once in a while, although she lives a few miles away. Uncle is on Permanent disability, but its nothing to see him climbing trees to trim them. Thats how he got PD. He also seems to suffer from some sort of bi-polar imbalance. Thats a whole different issue. :rolleyes: Aunt has a regular job. They aren't homeschooled (its pretty big out here) but my wife did ask the school about what they were doing and the reply from the school was that they are enrolled in a different district. How they do that is beyond me, but the school seems to ok it. It really is none of my business, but in trying to keep a kid from getting screwed out of an education I had to ask.
Thanks guys. You may be the only "normal" thing your neighbor kids have...it would be in their best interest to report them...they need someone to stand up for their rights to get an education and be able to fit into society as an adult.
When they are around you, make extra sure to be an awesome role model...one person can make a difference in a child's life. :cool: