PDA

View Full Version : Gas Shortage in Arizona??

BajaMike
08-19-2003, 01:20 PM
I heard on the news this morning and read a little in the LA Times about a gas shortage in Arizona....prices going up and short supply due to a pipeline breaking.
Is there a problem getting gas in Parker or Havasu? How much is it?
idea
Mike

XTRM22
08-19-2003, 01:37 PM
There is a gas line from El Paso to Phoenix, by way of Tucson. After a ruptured line in Tucson, they shut it down for repairs and damage survey between Phoenix and Tucson. There is a distribution problem and a supply shortage in Phoenix, but it doesn't seem to seriously affect the rest of the state. My understanding is Havasu and Parker get the majority of their fuel from the LA Depot, even some of Phoenix's gas comes in by pipeline this way. That said, my boats in Havasu with a full tank, and I'll still probably truck an extra 15 gallons with me in case the price is getting silly. I filled up this am here in tucson for 1.65, I here that most of Phoenix is 1.90+.
Chuck
ps if I stated anything incorrectly I'm sure someone will straighten it out. wink

roln 20s
08-19-2003, 01:56 PM
No Chuck, from what I am hearing you are pretty accurate.
Here's the sketchy part in my mind: the pipe breaks on the 30th of July. They shut the pipe down 8th of August. A gas shortage begins to affect phx, but slowly. And then, all of a sudden, 90% of gas stations have no gas. And the crisis and media frenzy begins. Gas prices have soared from $1.50s to the $2.00s and even higher. Heard of $3.00+ gallon in some parts of Phx and the rare amounts of premium were listed on AZCentral.com at some locations over 4 bucks. Thats rediculous. Now, the pipe has been repaired, however we are now waiting on the officials to authorize its use and get the fuel running back through it. So how long does this take, up to another week +. Yeah, can we say "milking it for what its worth."
But to solve Baja Mike's questions, every other city/town around AZ that I know of is not having any problems. Prescott, Flag, etc are all just fine, so I would suspect that Parker and Havasu are also. If gas was $3 a gallon, would you still be heading to the river. Hell, at that price, I might just call in sick to work!
Roln 20s

Kurtis500
08-19-2003, 02:09 PM
I filled up in Sedona yesterday at $1.71 a gallon. A good excuse for a trip if you have enough to get out of town. Cordes Junction was at $1.81 a gallon and had plenty too.

Boatcop
08-19-2003, 02:30 PM
Parker gets it's gas from LA and Vegas. No shortage here, but prices went from $1.64 to $1.77 a gal (reg/unl) overnight. Count on about 10 cents cheaper in Havasu at AM/PM or either of the Herbst places.

Mandelon
08-19-2003, 02:34 PM
It's $1.97 here in San Diego.. burningm That is because of the continual shortage we have had for 15 years....

Floored
08-19-2003, 02:36 PM
its in the $1.70's around the Bullhead area and no lines. Premium is around $1.93-2.19. no shortages or closures :p

boatless
08-19-2003, 02:39 PM
I just passed a gas station on Cave Creek south of Lone Mountain. Maximum of 10 gallons per car and charging $3.99/gal. The gas station down the road took on 9000 gallons at 8:30am and was out around 10am @ $2.15/gal. The trucks are rolling just not fast enough. This weekend they were talking about mobilizing the National Guard Bulk Fuel unit to help transport fuel, sum how they figured it would cost more to clean out the JP8 from the tanks than it would be to buy fuel from CA rolling.

JetBoatRich
08-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Just filled up the Suburban,
:(
:mad: $1.89 a gal=$60 today cry

Mrs.909er
08-19-2003, 02:48 PM
All I know is that it was 1.89 this last weekend in Havasu for gas ......and 1.59 for diesel :) . We get home...and gas is 1.84 :) and diesel is 1.74. :( ( It was 1.69 when we left.)

beer hunter
08-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Gas in south Orange County is averaging about $2.00 per gallon :mad:

miller19j
08-19-2003, 02:56 PM
The gas station around the corner from my office is $2.11 for regular $2.20 for special and $2.30 for super. God I love living in the Santa Ynez Valley! :rolleyes: Arizona prices sound pretty cheap to me.

blownmoney
08-19-2003, 03:03 PM
yup, central coast 1.93 regular, az prices are sounding awsome!!

dkreuzen
08-19-2003, 03:39 PM
8/19/03 @ 4:00pm
I just passed the Maverik station in Havasu and 87 was $1.759. That is usually the cheapest place in town. There doesn't seem to be a shortage but the prices keep going up.
Dennis

chub
08-19-2003, 04:47 PM
I'm gonna take heat for this but here it goes, A line ruptures between AZ and Tex. and gas prices go up in AZ and Ca. Last year a refinery in Ca. goes offline and gas prices only skyrocket in Ca. I feel for everyone paying high gas prices I own a boat and drive 40 miles one way to work. Believe me I feel the pain too but why does So. Cal always get f'd when something happens to "a" gas supply? :mad: I think we're payin' for the poewr outage on the Eastcoast also. Sorry I had to let that all go.

sam pioske
08-19-2003, 05:04 PM
Hey guys How about $2,39 reg in my Nor. Cal town! 2 stations. What Gray out Davis and his buds can't screw us for, our people do the rest... Cal has gone to shit

SCUBA STEVE
08-19-2003, 06:30 PM
$1.99 today at my gas station, It was $1.93 when I left this morning. wtf?? :confused:

carreraboat
08-19-2003, 06:42 PM
i think it is just another way of getting into our pocket books! I just paid 1.49 for unleaded in albq. nm

TCHB
08-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Hear we go again paying high prices for gas. Here in Huntington Beach its right under $2 for regular.

BajaMike
08-19-2003, 09:30 PM
I just wanted to know if I can get gas at Havasu this weekend....I'm not that worried about the price....I hate to haul 50 gallons of gas in my boat for 300 miles if I don't have to.
It's amazing how much information you can get here in a short time. Thanks for all the info, you guys!
idea
Mike

Rod-64
08-19-2003, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't worry about gas supplies in Havasu....I believe...but don't quote me...we get our gas from suppliers in Vegas.

hd&boatrider
08-19-2003, 10:44 PM
Local stations have gasoline ... for a price
By KAY JENNEY
BULLHEAD CITY -- Got gas? Forget the milk for the moment. While the price of gold sunk from last Friday's listing, the cost of liquid gold (gasoline) soared in Arizona, including Bullhead City, the result of a trickle-down effect from a ruptured pipeline between Phoenix and Tucson, July 30. It was shut down Aug. 8 and was one of two pipelines supplying the city.
Local gas stations are currently obtaining gasoline supplies anywhere they can get it -- Las Vegas, Nev., St. George and Salt Lake City, Utah, even New Mexico -- most anywhere except Phoenix.
Spokespersons for Bullhead City gas stations said distribution of gas has slowed down, but supplies are available. That's not the problem. Gas stations reported Tuesday the prices they are paying for their gas deliveries have steadily risen and some people claim price-gouging by those who control the flow of oil.
"It's slow, but it's getting here. The cost of trucking is the reason for higher gas prices," Woody's Chevron manager Harlene Carpenter said. "It's supply and demand."
Kelly Stokesberry, manager of the Tri Mart gas station, said she had to raise fuel prices Tuesday morning. She said her store ran out of gas Friday and Sunday. She said she has gotten gas out Bloomfield, N.M., and Parker.
"The stations don't make any money. The truckers aren't making money, it's the big oil tycoons," truck driver Gary Danklef, of St. George, Utah, said as he delivered a load of gasoline at Tri Mart. He said suppliers in Las Vegas raised their prices to discourage the Phoenix market from buying their gas.
He said his company, Tri-Valley, Heber City, Utah, hauls gasoline to this area from Las Vegas, St.George and sometimes Salt Lake City.
Issa Deebes, owner of a former Shell station, said it costs him $500-$700 a day to stay in business. He said he is involved in negotiations with other companies to operate the station.
"I don't want to close," Deebes said, but added that his cost for gasoline rose 12 cents in one day between an order and delivery.
"We haven't ran out yet. The guy who does the ordering does a pretty good job," said Sandy Hernandez, Terrible Herbst manager.
The Mobil station also reported no problems obtaining gas and manager Dawnette Renfro said she hopes prices will not continue to rise.
Airport Chevron manager Irene Sissener said her station is not making much profit. She said every load seems to cost more. She said one day it went up 11 cents per gallon.
"I try to keep the prices as low as I can," Sissener said.
Fastrip Food Store manager Ishtiaq Mirza said his company has no trouble getting supplies of gasoline. He said all orders about pricing come from corporate headquarters. The last time he had to raise prices was Friday.
One gas station employee who asked not to be named said there is no shortage of gas. He said it is a manufactured situation in order to gouge the public. He said the only minor problem was to find alternate methods of transporting gasoline.
Regular unleaded prices Tuesday morning:
Woody's Chevron 3713 Highway 95 -- $1.86 9/10
Circle K 76 2551 Highway 95 -- $1.95 9/10
Tri Mart 2540 Highway 95 -- $1.81 9/10
Terrible Herbst - 1815 Highway 95 -- $1.89 9/10
Airport Chevron 600 Highway 95 -- $1.86 9/10
Fastrip Food Store, 2199 Highway 95 -- $1.89 9/10

OGShocker
08-20-2003, 06:29 AM
Insider Information!
From what I know, the Pipeline "failure" in Arizona was caused by a CORROSION related phenomenon. Kinder-Morgan has replaced the damaged section (nearly one mile) and is ready to start sending fuel once again. The ACC (AZ Corp Commission) is stopping the process from happening. I think we should ALL call the Commission and ask why!
You want to know what corrosion costs (http://www.corrosioncost.com/) the USA per year! 276 BILLION DOLLARS! Click the Link. www.corrosioncost.com (http://www.corrosioncost.com)
Just my .02
OGS

Jordy
08-20-2003, 06:35 AM
OGShocker:
The ACC (AZ Corp Commission) is stopping the process from happening. I think we should ALL call the Commission and ask why! The Commission doesn't have the money to really do anything pipeline related. They also handle railroad safety in the same division and are barely on top of that. I did an internship at the ACC after college. Pretty scary what goes on, and what doesn't go on, in that building. The gas company is dragging their feet, and the governor is a joke. Her public speaking skills are very limited and it was obvious that she was given the run around when she tried to hard-ass the pipeline company. She shifted her answers when she was questioned by the press as well... guess she's either in on it or not smart enough to see what's going on. Then again, what does she care, she has car service when she wants to go somewhere right?

Stoked
08-20-2003, 07:11 AM
I was talking to my brother just this morning, he runs several Enterprise rental car offices in the Phoenix area. With a fleet of over 7000 cars in the Phoenix area alone he says local people are renting cars bringing them back empty and paying the $1.80 according to the contract for returning an empty car. He has been advised it will be an issue through the end of summer.

TIMEBOMB
08-20-2003, 07:13 AM
Jordy
Don't you mean "He has a car service" That is one manly looking lady. And her speaking skill really do just plain suck. Luckily since this all started I have not had to buy gas. (p.o.s honda crx that gets 25-30 mpg) But this is only the point A to B car. Really dread filling up the Tahoe. At work a couple of guys have driven to Coolidge and fill up for 1.77 a gallon. Still a 20 minute trip from the house, but I would rather be moving than sitting in a line for the same amount of time. I also have heard of a guy that went out and bought a bunch of 1 gallon gas cans, filled them up and is selling them to people in line for 10.00 bucks a pop. I guess everyone is out to make a buck. burningm Later Gary.
[ August 20, 2003, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: TIMEBOMB ]

BoatPI
08-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Havasu Herbst went from $1.72 to $1.84 overnight. And that was yesterday's price. Plenty of ga$. Parker was higher by a few cents. OC and LA gas is at $1.92 plus++++

Boatcop
08-20-2003, 11:09 AM
As of noon Wednesday, AM/PM (Herbst) in Parker was $1.81, and Super Fuels was at $1.77 for Reg/unl.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-20-2003, 11:19 AM
just paid 1.46 for regular. Damn it sucks living in Texas :p :p :p . Our gas was 1.34 last week. WTF???? you guys out west need some refineries!!!! :D
Omega

FreddieB81
08-20-2003, 11:21 AM
I just paid 2.19 for 87 at University and Rural. No line, though! :o :mad:

roostwear
08-20-2003, 11:24 AM
After the "shortage" this Spring (and the skyrocketing prices then)prices came down a little. Did ANYONE think that the oil companies would NOT raise prices during the summer? All they had to do is manufacture another excuse. Now that we think $1.60 is a bargain, the oil companies will have no problem moving the price over $2/gal next summer.And so on, and so on, and so on...........
It amazes me that there have not been any congressional investigations of price gouging and collusion. I guess people would have to be REALLY pissed to contact their representative and demand action. When does that happen? $3/gallon?

sam pioske
08-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Well people my gas rip is $1.46 today hows that for the big rip off??

Rod-64
08-20-2003, 06:11 PM
In yesterday's AZ Republic, it said AZ does not have a price fix/gouge law but the Reps were going to push for it. Kind of closing the barn door after the horse took off, don't you think?