PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Boat Shows...Stay Away from Cobra

Foss75
02-10-2003, 07:50 PM
If anyone is going to the boat shows in the upcoming months, which I am sure you are, stay clear of Cobra Performance Boats of Montclair. If you are new to these forums and you are looking to buy a boat at one of the boat shows, then don't even consider buying one of Jeff Bohn's boats. Horrible customer service! He does not stand behind his boats or his service! He is a lier and a cheat! If you want to hear more then just post on this forum.

dyam
02-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Dude! Those are harsh words. My friend was looking at the 23' Cobra. What's up?! eek!

NEW 2 RIVER
02-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Well now that you got our attention!
whats the deal?

Foss75
02-10-2003, 08:31 PM
I bought a 21XT from them back when they were an Ultra dealer in 2000. He lied to me about what I was going to get in the boat. Told me I was going to get a: Dominator Jet Pump and Place Diverter. Instead I got a: Barracuda Jet Pump and a knock-off diverter, that sucks. Customer service is horrible! He will tell you everything you want to hear when you are purchasing the boat and then he won't stand behind anything that he promised. He complains about warranty repairs. He'll make you wait three weeks or more for routine maintenance. I have had nothing but trouble with him since I bought the boat. Tell your buddy to spend a couple extra $$ and buy an Ultra from El Cajon. Cobra's are just crappy Ultra knock-offs anyway. John West will take care of your buddy. If you want more info, tell your buddy to check other posts on Cobra's and ask other people on these forums. BE AWARE! I just don't want anyone to have to go through what I went through with this @$$hole!
[ February 10, 2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Foss75 ]

BALLSDEEP
02-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Foss75:
If anyone is going to the boat shows in the upcoming months, which I am sure you are, stay clear of Cobra Performance Boats of Montclair. If you are new to these forums and you are looking to buy a boat at one of the boat shows, then don't even consider buying one of Jeff Bohn's boats. Horrible customer service! He does not stand behind his boats or his service! He is a lier and a cheat! If you want to hear more then just post on this forum. Sounds like you have had a bad deal with Jeff...Sorry to hear that. But in his defense... I purchased a new Ultra from him and he was a great person to deal with. He took me and my family out to Puddingstone Lake in his own truck when it was pouring down rain to go take it for a test drive. I went to the river once, the motor hatch blew off and tweaked the cover. Dropped the boat off to Jeff, him and his crew had it replaced at no charge and dropped the boat off at my house a week later. In my experiences with him, he has always gone the extra mile to make me happy, and I would highly recommend dealing with him. I am sorry to hear if you got screwed...

Foss75
02-10-2003, 08:43 PM
BALLSDEEP:
I am really happy that you got Jeff Bohn to do something. Believe me! You are one of only TWO people that have ever defended him on this forum. Do you still go to him for service? Have you talked to him since he started his Cobra thing? I guess you could call it a thing! I am just curious...when did you purchase your Ultra from him? If it was in 1999 or 2000, you should check your hull ID to see if you have an Ultra or a Cobra "splash"!

rivercrazy
02-10-2003, 08:44 PM
It seems like Cobra is getting some pretty nice reviews in good ole Hot Boat Magazine. At least for the last year or so. Never looked at em up close but they look nice in the magazines

BALLSDEEP
02-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Foss75:
BALLSDEEP:
I am really happy that you got Jeff Bohn to do something. Believe me! You are one of only TWO people that have ever defended him on this forum. Do you still go to him for service? Have you talked to him since he started his Cobra thing? I guess you could call it a thing! I am just curious...when did you purchase your Ultra from him? If it was in 1999 or 2000, you should check your hull ID to see if you have an Ultra or a Cobra "splash"!

Foss75
02-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Hot Boat will talk up anyone who pays for an ad space in the mag! You'll find Cobra in just about every issue now. I don't blame Hot Boat! It makes sense! Why would you tell the truth and "bash" someone who is funding your operation. Oh! And the reason why they look pretty good is because they are ULTRA'S. Look for your self at www.ultraboats.com. (http://www.ultraboats.com.)
[ February 10, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Foss75 ]

rivercrazy
02-10-2003, 08:54 PM
If that's true and Cobra's are Ultra Splashes, it seems like Ultra would have a really good potential lawsuit case. Ultra's styling on their decks are different than anyone else.....
If Ultra is loosing business to Cobra, they should look into protecting their designs and business interests.
My .01 cents anyway.

BALLSDEEP
02-10-2003, 08:58 PM
BALLSDEEP:
Foss75:
BALLSDEEP:
I am really happy that you got Jeff Bohn to do something. Believe me! You are one of only TWO people that have ever defended him on this forum. Do you still go to him for service? Have you talked to him since he started his Cobra thing? I guess you could call it a thing! I am just curious...when did you purchase your Ultra from him? If it was in 1999 or 2000, you should check your hull ID to see if you have an Ultra
or a Cobra "splash"! Foss75:
I dealt with him in '98...maybe things have changed... I purchased a 22'Ultra Stealth from him, he even made sure that my new boat was ready by Memorial Day weekend. Sure as promised, I picked the boat up 2 days before my trip to Havasu for the big weekend. The boat ran killer, no problems. Jeff even called my cell phone to see how everything was. Another story that comes to mind... I was at Laughlin about 2 years a go and my water pump took a shit... the plastic impellers blew. I called Jeff on a busy holiday weekend and explained my problems. He went the extent to call a boat repair facility in Bullhead city locate my part and call me back on my cell and explained were to pick up parts, and how to repair. I could go on and on with other stories. Bottom line in my experience with him, he stood behind hi work and was great to deal with. Since then I have sold the boat to obtain a larger one for those big weekends.
As far as the other threads go bashing his new company, I read them all and was in shock. I find it very hard to believe that he screwed someone over as bad as he did. There are always 2 sides to a story. It would be interesting as well as entertaining to get him on the boards an explain his side...

Foss75
02-10-2003, 08:58 PM
There is a long history between John West and Jeff Bohn. Lawsuits included! Ultra does not lose business to Cobra, simply because Ultra builds a much better boat! Look into the history of these two companies before you stand up for this guy! If anyone wants to see the real side of Jeff Bohn, just ask him his relationship with Ultra Boats or John West. Then you will se what I am talking about.

Foss75
02-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Like I said before,I am glad you had a good experience with him. And, I would love to have Jeff step up and answer some of these posts. Then you guys could hear the whole story behind what he is all about.
P.S. In 1998, I believe Jeff was still partnered with John, that's probably why you got good service.
[ February 21, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Foss75 ]

BENZEEN
02-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Hey Guys,
I just bought a boat in December, and actually considered a Cobra 230 Razor. I was aware of the soap operah before I went to both Ultra and Cobra. Jeff seemed very straight forward when he was educating me on his product. He made no bones that the 21 foot hull was an Ultra mold. In fact, he was the one who told me that his 230 Razor hull was an extended version of Ultra's 23 XS hull, in order to make it a true 23 foot hull.
Any time I stopped in to see what was being built, he was more than happy to let me in the production area. That shows confidence in his workmanship. Ultimately, I went with a different manufacturer, so I have not experienced his customer service.
-Vik

Foss75
02-11-2003, 04:40 PM
He is trying to build a new business, so it is no wonder that he is trying to appear to be friendly and accommodating. That is exactly what he did with me. He seemed like a very honest, reputable, and straight forward guy when I first met him as well as all through my early dealings with him. But, once I gave him my money for the boat, the whole attitude changed. For all of you out there who have had good experiences with him recently, I am happy for you. I am just trying to let everyone out there know that he has screwed several customers in the past, including myself. Everyone who is considering buying a boat from him should be aware of that.

JetBoatRich
02-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a bad deal, Like for him to reply and settle this

twistedpair
02-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Foss75:
He lied to me about what I was going to get in the boat. Told me I was going to get a: Dominator Jet Pump and Place Diverter. Instead I got a: Barracuda Jet Pump and a knock-off diverter, that sucks. Sounds like a shitty deal, however, if you did'nt have the sense to get your order down on paper, then the fault is partially yours also. Did you pay him up front?, if so, your bad. Never give more than a minimum deposit with balance due upon your satisfaction.
My .02

Charley
02-11-2003, 10:41 PM
Twisted is absolutely right......GET IT ON PAPER, PERIOD.... many of you may know the story of what happend with me and Dave @ DCB...... Dave kept saying to me he was going to take care of me etc..... but until he faxed me the written deal , including all of the options, clauses and had his signature at the bottom.... I didn't tell anyone I had a deal.... the reality is people write things down cause it's impossible to remember everything......even today I emailed Dave to confirm a few of the changes we have made on my boat ( 7 changes actually hehehe) but the reality is a Paper Trail is the best way to have protection against getting screwed.....not to mention some of the times the manufacturer's memory just sucks....he might really believe he is giving you what he "thinks" he promised.
Just my .02 and Foss, I am sorry that you are getting messed around with....thats never any fun :mad:

Foss75
02-12-2003, 04:20 PM
Some of the problems I have had over the past 2+ years involve things that I do have on paper. When I purchased the boat, it was already built. I was told it was a boat that someone else ordered and then backed out on. At that time, I was told by Jeff and every salesperson in the showroom that all of their jet boats come set-up the same way. Dominator Jet Drive, Place Diverter, ...etc. I gave him a deposit about a week or so before I was to pick up the boat and then paid the balance the day I picked it up. At this time I am still under the assumption that I am getting exactly what he told me I was getting. The day I picked up the boat I realized I was not getting a Dominator Pump, but I did not know that Barracuda's sucked ass. I was told by everyone at his showroom, salesmen Robert and Ken, and Jeff himself that Barracuda's are just as good as a Dominator. They all told me I had nothing to worry about. I took their word and came to find out several months later that this was another lie, one of many. I did not find out for over a year that I had a Barracuda Diverter at the 2001 LA Boat Show when I spoke with Tim Place. This is when the run around began. He told me again, not to worry because Barracuda's are just as good if not better than a Dominator. BULLSHIT! I know knew from talking to others in the business that this was a lie. I also come to find out that even the Barracuda manual states that a set-back pump should be set-up with a ride plate and shoe, which I don't have, so even my crappy pump was not set-up properly. He told me that I had a Place Diverter from day one!BULLSHIT! When I confronted him about it he said everyone calls them Place Diverters. I was under the assumption that Place Diverter was a name brand. Then everytime I would bring the boat in for repairs, warranty or otherwise, I would have him write everything down on a work order. Weeks later, he would complete one out of maybe ten things listed. I have all the paperwork to support this. I also have all the paperwork stating what he promised would be in the boat and also his advertisement of the boat on the internet, listing what was "IN" the boat. The only thing he changed on the boat was the motor that I upgraded, but I paid for that. I just want people to know the story because I don't want anyone going through what I have been through.
[ February 21, 2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Foss75 ]

rivercrazy
02-12-2003, 04:23 PM
OK OK we get it. You hate Cobra!

Wheels&Ass
02-12-2003, 06:58 PM
I hate to add more octane to this deal,but I betcha this things also a 52.5 mph turd! It might even handle like $hit too! Bite the bullet and throw down on the PLACE diverter. Thats the only div worth having! Thanks for the advice as well, I'll be looking in the "Elimanator" section.

TCHB
02-12-2003, 08:35 PM
There are many good boats manufactures and we all do not have to put up with crap like this. My advice is stay away from boat manufactures like this and go with a company that has been around for a while and has built its reputation overtime. Resale will tell all.

Foss75
02-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks for letting me vent guys!

Trash
02-18-2003, 10:02 PM
Hey, my boat does 52.5 too!!! Oh wait, it is a turd.... wink

Foss75
02-21-2003, 11:54 AM
I have since spoken with several boat builders and very well-known boat service shops. I should mention that at one point Jeff offered to fix the bottom of my boat because there was a severe hook. He fixed it, instead of the jet and then I came to find out that the XT hull was designed to have a hook in it so the boat would not porpoise. Everyone says the jet should have been fixed not the bottom. The whole reason I was concerned was because the boat was only doing about 52-53 mph, when I was told that it would do 58-60 mph with the 390 hp 454 motor that I paid to upgrade to. Everyone I have spoken with all agree that the Barracuda's are crap. I have been told that almost all of them that were out there have since been replaced or repaired with Dominator or Legend internal parts. Now that I have several professional opinions that support my claims I feel a lot more confident about pursuing this further. Thanks for everyones input.
I have edited some of my previous posts after looking back at my records of the events that occurred. None were lies, but some needed some more specific claims so I did not mislead anyone. :)
[ February 21, 2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Foss75 ]

OC-PARTYCAT
02-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Foss75,You mentioned that you had over ten things to fix when you brought the boat in. What where they? It is my opinion that alot of people dont get along with manufacturers because they nit-pick the shit out of the boat. I have a friend that is that way. He will take delivery of a car and have it back at the dealership for really stupid shit...like the dashboard gap being a couple centimeters wider on one side than the other. I dont know if this is the case with you or not. It is just really strange that some people come on this board and bad mouth a manufacturer and others are praising them?? why? Are the people praising because they are more kickback about things and except the boat as it is?
Is the boat exceptable? In whose opinion? Maybe not yours
You shouldnt have taken delivery of the boat if it wasnt what you wanted. If the pump is shit, why are they putting them on boats. Where they (in everyones opinion) a good pump at the time you bought the boat and then everyones mind changed? It really is up to you to buy or not to buy a boat. You should have picked it apart before you drove away with it.
[ February 21, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: OC-PARTYCAT ]

Foss75
02-22-2003, 12:20 AM
OC PARTYCAT,
Not that I should have to justify myself to you, but just to answer some of your questions...these are several of the problems that I brought up with Jeff over the 2-year period...boat's performance is not reaching what I was quoted, diverter pump is leaking fluid on transom, two fiberglass flaws, engine cover latches are rusting (supposedly stainless steel), diverter locks up and eventually does not work at all, trailer brakes do not release (and still don't), paid for 390 HP 454 upgrade and I was told the boat would do low to mid 60's mph with this set-up, but the boat does maybe 55 on a good day with no one in it and no fuel, huge hook in the bottom of the boat, cracked fittings on stainless steel braided lines, broken tiller arm (when diverter locked up, which was fixed by putting on a new tiller arm that did not fit and was ground out to make it fit), trailer lights filling up with water repeatedly.
These are just some of the many problems that I don't believe are nit-picky. I paid good money for the boat and I expect it to do what I was told it would do. I also don't feel it is nit-picky to ask the boat manufacturer to fix things that are broken and should not be broken. Many of the problems down the road were a result of his half-hearted attempt to fix a couple of these problems.
If you had done any research before blowing your wad and posting about the Barracuda jet, you would see that it is fairly common knowledge among boat builders that they are a piece of shit.
Several of the things that were mentioned above are not things that were present on the boat when it was delivered. With the exception of the fiberglass flaws, all of these problems occurred after I drove the boat the first couple of times.
I don't know what you think, nor do I really care, but you can decide for yourself if you think these things are nit-picky or if they are legitimate problems.

Just4Fun
02-22-2003, 07:45 AM
Foss,
Is this your first boat? I ask because you made a comment about how you trusted them that the Barracuda was a good pump and in another paragraph you say it is common knowledge that they are crap. Why did you let him fix the hook if you knew it was suppose to have one? Also you said you had to go back and change some things in previous replies. I like to read things once so please try to say things right the first time so you don’t loose any credibility. I don’t doubt that things didn’t go well on this boat but I think we have all bought things that we had crappy luck with in life. I still buy Fords even though they did a crappy job on the Pinto.... As info I do not work for Jeff but bought my Ultra 21RS in 2000 from him and have had nothing but the opposite service and luck with the boat. I lost the back bench seat which takes all your might to lift on the 10 FWY (the White Water wind tunnel sucked it out) 5 months after I bought it and he called the upholstery guy and told him I needed a new one by the end of the week. Picked it up 3 days later. A guy up the street bought a 2002 Cobra and loves it. I could go on how when I was out looking at boats that there were dealers that treated me like crap but I buy what I want because i like it not because someone has a great attitude. I think that if you want to talk about your experience with them that’s cool but to tell everyone to stay away and not do business with them is kind of wrong. But this is only my whopping $.02 worth.

Rexone
02-22-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm gonna put in my .02 on this one which I rarely do on these types of subjects. There are 2 sides to "every" story, including this one. This starter of this thread reflects one side. I'm not saying Foss is wrong or misrepresenting what occured, only that no one reading this has all the info to make any informed decision about Jeff or Cobra based on what's written here. To not go visit Cobra at the boat show IMO is somewhat extreme. I'd do just the opposite and go there and see how I was treated as a customer.
What I know about Jeff...I've known him since his days back at Ultra in Pomona, like 10 years or so at least. Nice guy (to me) and haven't heard a lot of crap (which normally we hear right away when a mfg is screwing or mistreating people). And he buys very little from us so I have no motivation to come on here and defend him based on our sales to him. I know he works his butt off at his business as I do at mine and just hate to see "anyone's" name get trashed over "incomplete" (notice I didn't say inaccurate) information. The fact that Jeff (or any manufacturer) doesn't participate on this forum (or any forum) is not a reason (again my opinion) to condemn them. Some don't have computers, know how to use them, much less know what a forum is...doesn't mean they automatically don't care about their customers because you don't see responses here. Contrary to what some of us post whores might believe, the performance boating world doesn't totally revolve around ***boat.net. I think that's fairly self evident if you examine the number of manufacturers who post here. Including myself you can probably count them on your ten fingers if that.

77charger
02-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Foss75:
The whole reason I was concerned was because the boat was only doing about 52-53 mph, when I was told that it would do 58-60 mph with the 390 hp 454 motor that I paid to upgrade to. Everyone no offense but i find 52-55 mph the norm speed for a boat of that size in a jet cofig. and i believe alot of the manufacturers will claim higher speeds but do any of them guaranty them besides htm?I had a low profile jet with a built big block that had more than 390 hp and it barely did 63 mph.To get a jet on a boat of your size to beak 60 mph will take a more hp to do so IMO.

Foss75
02-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Just4Fun,
This is not my first boat, but it is my first jet boat. I trusted the information I received from Cobra salesmen and from Jeff himself. I did not find out until later that virtually everyone in the boating industry thinks that Barracuda Jets suck. I went to the boat show this weekend and that sentiment was expressed several times while talking with many boat builders and manufacturers. Maybe it is somewhat my fault for not researching Barracuda Jets before I purchased the boat, but I figured that any reputable boat builder, which is what I thought I was dealing with, would not lie to me. I did research Dominator Jets, since that is what is listed as standard equipment on the website and all of the advertisements before I purchased the boat. I guess that is why, when he told me Barracuda's are just as good as Dominators, I was satisfied. Because I did not know any better. Again, as far as the hook is concerned... I did not find out that the boat was suppose to have a hook in it until after Jeff fixed it. He said that my performance problems were most likely a result of the hook. After I found out that the boat was designed to have a hook, he seemed like he had no idea what I was talking about. I found that very strange since he was the supposed boat builder. I am frustrated and upset because I feel as though I was taken advantage of. This is the first new boat I have purchased and I did not know there was so much bullshit associated with the custom boat building industry. I was unaware of the soap opera between Jeff and Ultra until after I purchased the boat and began having problems with him. Everything I know now about Jeff and Cobra/Ultra of Montclair is from my inquiries after my problems began. My goal is not to bitch and lie, but to inform other boaters about the many problems I have had with Jeff and Cobra. I have not lied about one thing. I am telling you my side of the story.
P.S. The 3 posts I went back and edited were to clarify what I was talking about, not to change information that was presented.

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 04:31 AM
Feel better FOSS now that you vented?