PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know this California Engine Builder

1Wildthing
05-14-2003, 03:40 PM
I thought I would do some research on here before I called them.
Anyone know this guy?
http://www.tompappracing.com/

roln 20s
05-14-2003, 03:42 PM
If I'm not mistaking, the Carerra 257 Effect X that has "Double D's" on the back of it has a motor by that builder, other than that, I know nothing. I think the owner of that boat is on here too, but not 100% sure.
Seemed like a nice motor. Pics of the boat are on this site also somewhere.
Roln 20s

1Wildthing
05-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks, thought someone would know him.
I'll try & search some more

1Wildthing
05-14-2003, 04:22 PM
TTT

GlastronGuy
05-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Papp is good.
Here's another good engine builder:
DNE Motorsports Development
1760 Monrovia Ave. A-5
Costa Mesa, Ca 92627
949-631-378

superdave013
05-14-2003, 05:43 PM
He boat runs real good at the races!
I've talked to him a few times and he seems like a nice guy.

1Wildthing
05-14-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the help!

Johnwithjm
05-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Tom Papp knows his stuff motors,pumps,outdrives. His prices are very good and he will treat you right. He is doing all my service work for my dealership.

topless
05-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Not to be negative since I don't know him personally, I have heard things I won't repeat. I do know for a fact that Jim Guthrie is the best around and very affordable. I do know how to contact him as well. No offense to Tom but I have seen Jims work and prices too.

GlastronGuy
05-14-2003, 07:54 PM
topless:
Not to be negative since I don't know him personally, I have heard things I won't repeat. I do know for a fact that Jim Guthrie is the best around and very affordable. I do know how to contact him as well. No offense to Tom but I have seen Jims work and prices too. Ya but what does a chick know about motors?

topless
05-14-2003, 08:03 PM
GlastronGuy:
topless:
Not to be negative since I don't know him personally, I have heard things I won't repeat. I do know for a fact that Jim Guthrie is the best around and very affordable. I do know how to contact him as well. No offense to Tom but I have seen Jims work and prices too. Ya but what does a chick know about motors? Actually Mr. Glastron, I know a lot more than alot of guys on here. Not to say that I know more than everyone because I don't. I do know that I can and have held my own when talking about and being around motors. I also know what I have heard. Like I said, I won't repeat it either. Now, have a nice evening!
*edit- just a recommendation for a kinder, gentler post, Ms. Topless.
[ May 14, 2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Hangin' ]

Johnwithjm
05-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Well since Tom builds alot of race boats all over the country maybe you should ask some of his customers. He is a stand up guy. I judge people by the way they treat me or any of my customers not on hear say or what someone may have heard. Jim Guthrie does pretty good work also but I have never delt with him in the past

midmagic
05-14-2003, 10:32 PM
I've known Tommy Papp for many years. He has a vast knowledge of building boats. He worked for Eliminator, Cheyenne and a few other manufacturers. Currently, he owns and builds Edge Custom boats. And yes, he knows MOTORS!!! You would feel comfortable dealing with Tommy!!! He has a great reputation.

Hal
05-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Tom Papp also has a engine builder working for him whos name is Jack Worrell that grew up working on engines in his dads repair shop in Corona back in the 60's and early 70's. After that he worked for a couple of the prime engine shops in Santa Ana, Ca. building engines for everything from "E" Econo rails (Big block single carbed dragters)to Pro stockers and about everything else used for racing. With Toms reputation as a top engine builder and then complement that with Jacks 25+ years of experience building racing engines I don't see how you could go wrong using them to build your motor. Here's a picture of the results of Jacks first encounter with boat racing. This is an engine that Jack built for a land digger so it was cammed wrong for a jet boat, but it made so much HP it didn't seem to matter. we stuck it in my boat for the week end and went to Blue Water for an NJBA race. I didn't win anything but we run within 3 mph of the top comp boat. It was fun for me. I just wish the boat had been set up to run in comp jet, with that kind of HP. To bad it was a one time deal. :( This motor was a 454 cu in.Chevy tall block stroked and bored to 480 cu in. using AFR heads, Crane roller cam and kit, Edelbrock 454R dual plane intake and a single Holly 1050 cfm Dominator. I think they were getting around 850+ HP out of the motor.
And this was 25 years ago, I am sure Jacks learned a lot of new tricks since he built this engine. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/134RaceBoat1-med.jpg
[ May 15, 2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Hal ]

topless
05-15-2003, 10:23 AM
Don't get me wrong, I've heard good things about Tom too. Besides that, he is local. :D I just know Jim personally and have seen his work first hand.

565edge
05-15-2003, 01:44 PM
Hal:
Tom Papp also has a engine builder working for him whos name is Jack Worrell that grew up working on engines in his dads repair shop in Corona back in the 60's and early 70's. After that he worked for a couple of the prime engine shops in Santa Ana, Ca. building engines for everything from "E" Econo rails (Big block single carbed dragters)to Pro stockers and about everything else used for racing. With Toms reputation as a top engine builder and then complement that with Jacks 25+ years of experience building racing engines I don't see how you could go wrong using them to build your motor. Here's a picture of the results of Jacks first encounter with boat racing. This is an engine that Jack built for a land digger so it was cammed wrong for a jet boat, but it made so much HP it didn't seem to matter. we stuck it in my boat for the week end and went to Blue Water for an NJBA race. I didn't win anything but we run within 3 mph of the top comp boat. It was fun for me. I just wish the boat had been set up to run in comp jet, with that kind of HP. To bad it was a one time deal. :( This motor was a 454 cu in.Chevy tall block stroked and bored to 480 cu in. using AFR heads, Crane roller cam and kit, Edelbrock 454R dual plane intake and a single Holly 1050 cfm Dominator. I think they were getting around 850+ HP out of the motor.
And this was 25 years ago, I am sure Jacks learned a lot of new tricks since he built this engine. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/134RaceBoat1-med.jpg DIDNT REENIE RACE A MILLER?MET HIM AT NACIEMENTO,PAPP IS ONE OF THE BEST,I'VE TRUSTED HIM WITH ALL MY BOATS.

Kwicherbichen
05-16-2003, 11:28 PM
I know Tom and he has helped me beyond belief with anything I've ever asked about. He's a straight shooter, very reasonable, and builds reliable stuff. I'm not sure but I don't think the "Double D" boat owner posts? His name is Derek and that boat is bitchen.
565, you should have let Tom build your previous motor wink
Topless, maybe it's just me but, I don't want chicks to know anything about motors. I just want them to know how to look hot.
[ May 17, 2003, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: Kwicherbichen ]

Kwicherbichen
05-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Nice, double post :mad:
[ May 17, 2003, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: Kwicherbichen ]