PDA

View Full Version : Science question:

Mandelon
08-26-2003, 04:09 PM
Why: Does sometimes when you pee, it makes a lot of bubbles and othere times hardly any? :confused: :D :confused:

Kilrtoy
08-26-2003, 04:13 PM
CAR-BON-A-TION

mike37
08-26-2003, 04:17 PM
hmm good question

Boozer
08-26-2003, 04:19 PM
Prolly for the same reason that sometimes when you pee its clear, sometimes it's yellow, and sometimes it's almost brown. Just depends on the crap you drink. Drink lots of water and your pee will be clear and will not bubble. Or maybe you just got a lot of oxygen trapped in your bladder or something.

bigerich
08-26-2003, 04:20 PM
I am sure it has something to do with the ambient air temp., barometric pressure and time of year. :confused: But then again, I may know nothing.

sidewound
08-26-2003, 04:33 PM
I believe it's all in the angle of attack! much like a boat! A smooth entry planing on the surface makes for minimal water disturbance. However, change the angle to a more verticle drop and watch the disturbance.
RE: STAND BACK A WAYS!
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

TOBTEK
08-26-2003, 04:57 PM
here is another good question. you yawn from a lack of oxygen to your brain right.....so then why are yawns contageous?(sp) I dont get it!

Boozer
08-26-2003, 05:02 PM
TOBTEK:
here is another good question. you yawn from a lack of oxygen to your brain right.....so then why are yawns contageous?(sp) I dont get it! I believe that scientists haven't even been able to prove why yawning is contageous.

sidewound
08-26-2003, 06:16 PM
TOBTEK:
here is another good question. you yawn from a lack of oxygen to your brain right.....so then why are yawns contageous?(sp) I dont get it! Maybe they aren't contagious at all.
Maybe your just booring those around you into sleepiness! :D :D :D
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

FMluvswater
08-26-2003, 06:40 PM
I think the yawning thing is a survival instinct ... if you see someone yawn it indicates low oxygen so you yawn too ... either to conserve oxygen or to get extra oxygen not sure which. :confused:
multi-axial fiberglass

Mandelon
08-26-2003, 07:07 PM
I bet all that yawning makes your pee bubbly. :rolleyes:
Found this....
The Bubbles Have It!!!
Reprinted from: Labstracts, Fall 1996, Volume 18(1).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But WHAT do they have? In early June, Ed Burling at DeAnza College of Cupertino, CA, put an intriguing post on the BIOLAB listserv. He indicated that he runs a urine lab. A question he gets --- usually from a woman student --- is "Why is it that male urine seems to have more bubbles than female urine?" His standard answer has been --- "method of collection" --- perhaps greater distance and force able to "blast" the sample and thus create more froth.
After several such inquiries, he devised a test: taking test samples from 3 men and 3 women, each was covered with Parafilm and "shaken (not stirred) for five times (or 5 shakes)".
According to Ed all 3 male samples "created 2-4 cm. "heads", while all 3 female samples could "only muster about 0.5 cm. worth of effort." After an hour of standing the male samples still had about "1 cm. of foam, while the female samples were entirely bubble-less". Ed's conclusion was that the method of collection is not the answer and that urine shows a definite "dimorphic difference".
Needless to say, this generated a number of comments in response. Suggestions have been:
pH
hormones --- perhaps testosterone produces and/or estrogen inhibits bubbles
beer consumption by males!
mucus from the bulbourethral (Cowper's) gland
higher secretion in the urine of males of detergent-like compounds produced during metabolism
higher concentrations of CO2 and/or bicarbonates in male urine
proteins in the urine
Ed indicates that he has not noticed a pH difference, but, then again, he has not really focused on pH. Also in tests for protein, men sometimes do show a "trace" using test strips.
Guy Farish from Adams State College at Alamosa, CO, indicates that in his home brewing hobby, proteins are used as foam stabilizers.
So are proteins from the bulbourethral gland the foam makers? That seems to be the best "theory" at the moment. What other suggestions do people have? Should we all introduce this to our physiology students and have them put forth hypotheses and the experiments to test them? Might be fun. I await the next installment of "ALL MY BUBBLES".
-- Sherry Brooks, BIOLAB reporter, Biology Dept., Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
[ August 26, 2003, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

mo
08-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Protien

FMluvswater
08-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Theories to Explain Life Around the World
A contest was held for people to submit their theories on ANY subject. Below are the winners:
4th RUNNER-UP (Subject: Probability Theory)
If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup trucks fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of highway signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary works in Braille.
3rd RUNNER-UP (Subject: Bio-Mechanics)
Why Yawning Is Contagious: You yawn to equalize the pressure on your eardrums. This pressure change outside your eardrums unbalances other people's ear pressures, so they then yawn to even it out.
2nd RUNNER-UP (Subject: Symbolic Logic)
Communist China is technologically underdeveloped because they have no alphabet and therefore cannot use acronyms to communicate technical ideas a= t a faster rate.
1st RUNNER-UP (Subject: Newtonian Mechanics)
The earth may spin faster on its axis due to deforestation. Just as a figure skater's rate of spin increases when the arms are brought in close to the body, the cutting of tall trees may cause our planet to spin dangerously fast.
HONORABLE MENTION (Subject: Linguistics)
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks his cah," the lost R's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl" wells.
GRAND PRIZE WINNER (Subject: Perpetual Motion)
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands buttered side down. It was proposed to strap giant slabs of hot buttered toast to the back of a hundred tethered cats; the two opposing forces will cause the cats to hover, spinning inches above the ground. Using the giant buttered toast/cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
hull plug

Essex502
08-27-2003, 05:34 AM
Yellow urine = B complex vitamins in system.
Clear urine = lack of B complex vitamins in system.
As the body uses the B vitamins, especially B-12, your urine will become clearer. Watch as you drink alcohol...then take a B-12 tablet and see it change...
Brown urine? Sick focker.