PDA

View Full Version : CA State Law - SHUT DOWN THE ***boatERS

carbonmarine
02-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Guy's,
You might want to take this very seriously. Take action & get this out to others .....
There is a bill going through CA Senate. It's not yet been assigned to committee yet..... But when it is, it will go for vote.....
Bill # AB 1555 would especially shut us all down due to noise laws... The details are on some boating web sites. I think it should be a major rallying cry to circle the HOT BOAT wagons of support to defeat this ....
EVERYONE HAS GOT TO CALL AND URGE THERE REPRESENTATIVE TO VOTE - NEA / NO ! .... This might even be something ***boat / LFP unites all boating clubs together on.....
Sen Ross Johnson:
35th Senate District - Newport , Irvine, Huntington, etc, etc..
Irvine Office:
18552 MacArthur Blvd., Ste. 395
Irvine, CA 92612
Phone(949) 833-0180
Fax: (949)833-0696
Sen Dick Akerman
33rd Senate District, which comprises most of eastern Orange County.
District Office:
17821 East 17th Street, Ste 180
Tustin, California 92780
Phone: (714) 573-1853
Fax: (714) 573-1859
Senator.ackerman@sen.ca.gov

Irishluck
02-27-2003, 12:17 PM
You have got to be f##kin kidding me that their is a proposal for such a law. Just another reason why I am getting tired of this state. Yes I will take a action immediatetly and everyone else that has a boat should too. I wonder if the EPA has some sort of say in this? What a bunch of assholes.

twistedpair
02-27-2003, 12:26 PM
Are you sure this is the right number? When I do an Assembly Bill search this is what I come up with:
2001 CALIFORNIA ASSEMBLY BILL 1555: This bill requires authorized law enforcement agencies to advise the public of the presence of high-risk sex offenders in their communities.
[ February 27, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: twistedpair ]

carbonmarine
02-27-2003, 12:28 PM
The people behind this bill are:
CA St Dem. Sen. George Nakano/ Torrence, CA
&
The Bluewater Network of San Fran
www.bluewaternetwork.org (http://www.bluewaternetwork.org)
** NOTE These guy's instituded a BAN on a personal watercraft in Marine County and WON !
The Director of this group has it out for Outboard Engines. He did a study in " INDIA " & came to the conclusion that outboards are the nature of all their problems.. ** NOT Over fishing & over baby making...
Anyhow, this is actually his lifes mission !!!! and we have to deal with it......
Rick32 / Carbon Marine

carbonmarine
02-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Twisted PAir, you did ...AB 155 not AB 1555
Rick32/ Carbon Marine

hot_diggity_dog
02-27-2003, 12:31 PM
That Sucks!
idea Can someone type up a boiler plate letter that we could copy and send via mass e-mail to these Fockers. :mad: burningm
Hoat Boat Spam here we come. :D :D
HDD :cool:

HavasuDreamin'
02-27-2003, 12:38 PM
Bob Brown has a very interesting editorial on the "noise" topic in this month's issue of the magazine. He had a bunch of great points that all centered around the fact that there is no "accurate" way to uniformly enforce the law. Every lake seems to have a different set of rules and different testing mechanisms........none of the testing mechanisms measure the same DB reading twice.......officers rarely enforce the law according to how the law is written.....and the "noise violation" is just a way for the officer's to check whether or not someone has been drinking.
I am with Bob Brown on this one. When the Gov. can come up with a way to accurately measure and enforce the noise level, then they can think about making reasonable restrictions. :cool:

Seadog
02-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Let's leave the EPA out of this. California goes far and beyond what normal people would consider reasonable. Blue Water is a radical environmental group that is trying to shutdown boating one faction at a time.

twistedpair
02-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Carbon, you were right, I got Fat-fingered!
ab 1555 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_1551-1600/ab_1555_bill_20030221_introduced.html)

Liberator TJ1984
02-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Tree Huggers have nothing better to do than bitch about everything ...yea humans make noise thats what we were put here to do, its in every animals way of expression whether threatened or showing off..I work in the oilfield and you should see some areas where oil and such has spilled, it is more fertle and lush than similar spots ..why do you think the grass right on the edge of the highways is so green ,wasted hydrocarbons !Boaters and others out there are not going to end the Earth as we know it...It will be the LOUD CRACK of a Neuclear Weapon that ends Everything..So have fun while it lasts.. :p
Gopherrr

stix818
02-27-2003, 01:26 PM
True Dat Liberator. *uckem all. If you don't like it then leave!!!!!!!!

carbonmarine
02-27-2003, 01:29 PM
So..... what are you going to do about ??
1)START CALLING YOUR REPRESENATTIVES ....!!!
2) Call all your boating buddy's & nieghbors...
3) Tell them to call their local Represetatives
and so on.... Us just bitching about this will cannot do anything to help us...
This guy ( Nakano & the Bluewater Network) are an Organized Army ... They are out there & exist with the SOLE intention of ruining our way of life !... No two way's about it !!!
*** The silent majority cannot be silent...not on this one ! NO WAY !
Get working boys !
Rick32 / Carbon Marine

truksnboats
02-27-2003, 02:06 PM
damn democrats!!! I would like to read the artical in ***boat but I still haven't received it!!

JetBoatRich
02-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Shit never ends, seems everytime we turn around we are getting it in the...

Sleek-Jet
02-27-2003, 02:21 PM
An environmental activist's greatest fear?
Someone, somewhere, is having a good time.

carbonmarine
02-27-2003, 02:25 PM
Get to dialing you reps brothers.....tell you buddies too as well ..that is: If they like riding in the damn boat....
Friends: They wont help pay for gas, but they better help out in this one !!!
Laughs...
Rick32

OC-PARTYCAT
02-27-2003, 04:14 PM
it looks like they are raising the db from 85 to 90.. what is the automotive standard for measuring dbs? I think it is three feet away, that would make a 85db at 50 feet probably over 100 at 3 feet away? :confused: :confused:

GlastronGuy
02-27-2003, 04:20 PM
OC-PARTYCAT:
it looks like they are raising the db from 85 to 90.. what is the automotive standard for measuring dbs? I think it is three feet away, that would make a 85db at 50 feet probably over 100 at 3 feet away? :confused: :confused: I read the same thing. Raising, not lower the limits. idea

Elsinore Cop
02-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Motor noise should be measured 50 feet away on a db "A" meter.

Boatcop
02-27-2003, 05:06 PM
The provisions called for in this bill are bringing California Watercraft noise laws in step with what the SAE has recommended, and what numerous other states already have.
The following States already use, or are proposing this method:
Illinois
Connecticut
Nevada
Utah
Oregon
Missouri
Ohio
Pennsylvania
New York
In the next few years, all states will be adopting this method.
The sound level measurement methods have been researched and approved by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), The American National Standards on Accoustics, The National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA), The National Marine Marketing Association,(NMMA) and the American Boat and Yacht Council. (ABYC)
This will standardize watercraft noise level limits, and measuring methods. It takes some of the subjectiveness away from the officers.
In any event, EVERY marine enforcement officer I know always gives the boater some latitude. For example, Arizona still has the 86 dba, measured at 50 feet. (the old SAE J34 method) But we won't even think about stopping a boat until the level reads at least 92 db.
Sound is measured on a logarythmic scale. For every 3 db increase, the sound doubles. So..
89 db is twice as loud as 86 db
92 db is twice as loud as 89 db
95 db is twice as loud as 92 db
etc.
I really don't think anyone will notice any change in the enforcement of noise levels. If you are running production mufflers, or water injection, you will probably fall below the levels.
If you're running straight pipes, (which have always been illegal) you won't.
And make sure you get your hearing checked. Sound levels in the cockpits of most boats are running in the 98+ levels. High enough to cause permanent hearing loss in a very short time.
Ask me how I know! frown
[ February 27, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

Dusty Times
02-27-2003, 08:46 PM
Will these people stop at nothing from their high dollar homes in San Fran? The Blue Water Group is the same one sueing the National Park Service to ban personal watercraft on Mead, Powell, Mohave, Colorado River, and thats just the water around here(Wich also included bans for boats over 15 hp in many areas they called "sensitive"). This group is comprised of many tree hugger groups like the Sierra Club to name one.
These people have alot of time and money and will never stop until the can fly over our waters in their noisy a** airplane and not see any of us enjoying it.

bigq
02-27-2003, 08:48 PM
RiverDave:
So which is it?
Is this bill raising the noise limits? Or lowering them?
I haven't read it yet, but I will later on tonight when I get home.
RD Same here which is it. Also, at what RPM, idle, full throttle on a trailer ?

Mandelon
02-27-2003, 10:47 PM
Here's a link to the actual bill as proposed. There are changes that did not copy correctly to this forum, there are sections lined out.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_1551-1600/ab_1555_bill_20030221_introduced.html
BILL NUMBER: AB 1555 INTRODUCED
BILL TEXT
INTRODUCED BY Assembly Member Nakano
FEBRUARY 21, 2003
An act to amend Section 654.05 of the Harbors and Navigation Code,
relating to vessels.
LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST
AB 1555, as introduced, Nakano. Motorized recreational vessels.
Existing law prohibits the operation of motorized recreational
vessels, in or upon the inland waters of this state, that exceed
specified noise levels.
This bill would delete the limitation that prohibition applies
only to the operation of those vessels in or upon the inland waters
of this state, and would revise the specified noise levels.
Because the bill would change the definition of, and expand the
application of, a crime, the bill would thereby impose a
state-mandated local program.
The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local
agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the
state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that
reimbursement.
This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this
act for a specified reason.
Vote: majority. Appropriation: no. Fiscal committee: yes.
State-mandated local program: yes.
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
SECTION 1. Section 654.05 of the Harbors and Navigation Code is
amended to read:
654.05. (a) No A person
shall may not operate any
a motorized recreational vessel in or upon the
inland waters of this state in a manner that exceeds the
following noise levels:
(1) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1976
1993 , a noise level of 86 dbA measured
at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel
90 dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level
test conducted in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers
Standards of practice designated, SAE j2005 .
(2) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1976,
and before January 1, 1978 1993 , a noise level
of 84 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the
motorized recreational vessel 88 dB(A) when subjected
to a stationary sound level test conducted in accordance with the
Society of Automotive Engineers Standards of practice designated, SAE
j2005 .
(3) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1978,
a noise level of 82 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the
motorized recreational vessel A noise level of 75 dB
(A) measured as specified in the Society of Automotive Engineers
Standards of practice designated, SAE J1970 (Shoreline Sound Level
Measurement Procedure). However, a measurement of noise level that
is in compliance with this paragraph does not preclude the conducting
of a test of noise levels under paragraph (1) or (2) .
(b) Testing procedures employed to determine noise levels
shall be in accordance with the Exterior Sound Level Measurement
Procedure For Pleasure Motorboats of the Society of Automotive
Engineers in its recommended practice designated SAE J34.
The department may, by regulation, revise the measurement procedure
when deemed necessary to adjust to advances in technology.
(c) This section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels
competing under a local public entity or United States Coast Guard
permit in a regatta, in a boat race, while on trial runs, or while on
official trials for speed records during the time and in the
designated area authorized by the permit. In addition, this section
does not apply to motorized recreational vessels preparing for a
race or regatta if authorized by a permit issued by the local entity
having jurisdiction over the area where the preparations occur.
SEC. 2. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to
Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because
the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school
district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or
infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty
for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of the
Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within the
meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California
Constitution.
[ February 27, 2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

Mandelon
02-27-2003, 10:50 PM
Distance is set but test is done at what rpm?? Idle, cruise or WOT????? :( :confused:

Liberator TJ1984
02-28-2003, 06:21 AM
I guess the Aviation Industry is exempt from any Noise Pollution Laws ??? Don't you just love it when a jet flys over and rattles pictures off your wall...I guess they will tolerate that !!!
Boats or anything else fun is a no no ???

carbonmarine
02-28-2003, 06:57 AM
Anything that makes a crime out of boating is simpley not good for boating or us.... That is: SHort of heavy drinking & driving & dangerous/stupid driving and things of the sort.
Guys this is our freemdoms were talking about.
Make sure you guys & everyone you know burns up those phone lines of you local representatives......
That whole idea of " Bringing it in line with others states" .... What a total crock !.. you know it too doughnut man...One freedom at a time... right ? Whos side are you on...?Pick one and stay.
Rick32 / Carbon Marine

spectratoad
02-28-2003, 07:26 AM
I read that as raising the limits also??? :confused: I do however disagree with the enviro wackos on alot of their views. They are too extreme and want to ban everything that make us great. They fail to understand that we can cut trees down and plant more, just as long as there is a balance. Lumber companies wouldn't clear-cut theirselves out of business.
It is ok to ride you jet-ski or drive your boat around and make some noise. that is what makes us great. The freedom to do that. :D

gnarley
02-28-2003, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by carbonmarine:
The people behind this bill are:
The Bluewater Network of San Fran
www.bluewaternetwork.org (http://www.bluewaternetwork.org)
** NOTE These guy's instituded a BAN on a personal watercraft in Marine County and WON !

I had to comment on this & haven't finished reading the thread but a ban on personal watercraft in Marin County is like banning snow sking in the desert. Who would apose it? There isn't anywhere to ride a PWC in Marin county anyway! This group still needs to be stopped!