PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater Systems

SUPERCREWJOHN
12-30-2002, 08:15 AM
Can anyone recommend a decent home theater installer and some decent components. I talked to the people at Good Guys and they are F&*&^ing idiots :D
I am thinking about using Boston Accoutic Components, and I have a Denon 6 Channel Amp with DTS that is multi-zone. For the back channels I have to run some wiring through the walls or through the floor boards. I haven't decided wether or not to use in wall speakers. Someone told me that the sound wasnt as good.
Suggestions anyone?

Infomaniac
12-30-2002, 08:22 AM
POLK AUDIO !!!

dcb carrera
12-30-2002, 08:28 AM
I used Boston Acoustic wall speakers and they sound great.

GlastronGuy
12-30-2002, 08:30 AM
Contact ROZ here on the board.
Polk? pig_flyi

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2002, 08:33 AM
I ran my wiring under the carpet, between the nail board and the wall.

mbrown2
12-30-2002, 08:44 AM
I run Phoenix Gold for my In-Walls, and Ceilings speakers. You will need an amp for Multi-Zone if you want to more than a couple of speakers in the additional zones. Look at Knoll, Russound, Niles, Sonance, or Kustom for Multi-Zone amps and they have speakers as well. For Plug/Play ease to setup look at the Knoll, Russound, Kustom...They have Multi-Zone systems with easy to use keypads driven off of Cat-5 wiring. I went with the Knoll System since it had the most wattage for all channels 50x12; this amp coupled with my theater amp, allows me to pipe any theater source to up to 6 zones inside and outside the house. Also, try and do the biggest gauge cable when running your speaker wire to the additional zones.

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2002, 08:48 AM
mbrown2:
Also, try and do the biggest gauge cable when running your speaker wire to the additional zones. Why?

superdave013
12-30-2002, 08:53 AM
Havasu Hangin':
mbrown2:
Also, try and do the biggest gauge cable when running your speaker wire to the additional zones. Why? So you don't get that 0.00000000000000001 volt drop :D

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2002, 08:55 AM
superdave013:
So you don't get that 0.00000000000000001 volt drop :D So Monster Cable can make a revenue number?

rivercrazy
12-30-2002, 09:09 AM
There are ton of great brands out there for home theatre. Good recommendations have already been stated here but you might also look into Infinity and JBL. The mid level lines on up are pretty awesome and priced pretty well.

Slick
12-30-2002, 09:11 AM
Only one word to say here..."Klipsch"
http://www.sounddistributors.com/KLIPSCH%20SYSTEM%20LARGE.jpg
This is what I have and it rocks for movies and music. In my opinion it's in the intermediate range for quality. You could probably pick the whole package up for $1,600-$2,000.
Roz can hook you up on it.
[ December 30, 2002, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Slick ]

dcb carrera
12-30-2002, 09:13 AM
The bostons are used on my stereo. My home theater I have all Harmon Kardon equipment seems to work pretty good.

GlastronGuy
12-30-2002, 09:27 AM
Slick:
Roz can hook you up on it. Why do people recommend horns for dialog? Horns are for music.
PSB is a good mid level brand as is Definitive Technology.

Slick
12-30-2002, 09:41 AM
GlastronGuy:
Why do people recommend horns for dialog? Horns are for music.
PSB is a good mid level brand as is Definitive Technology. I don't know about all that, but I do know that that system hooked up to 75watts per channel off a Denon receiver really kicks ass.

spectras only
12-30-2002, 09:47 AM
SCJ , your Denon unit is a good one.You may want to try a brand most people never heard of [the beatles and others like fender amp company use it] is Celestion [www.celestion.com].They have all applications from medium prized and up. I have a PSB sub [made in canada eh]with the celestion setup.
[ December 30, 2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

mbrown2
12-30-2002, 10:28 AM
Havasu Hangin':
mbrown2:
Also, try and do the biggest gauge cable when running your speaker wire to the additional zones. Why? In talking with most folks who installed in-wall and outside/below grade speaker cable, the runs (if done with home-runs) are long...kind of like CAT 5 runs..so you want to run 14-16 gauge cable..I ran 14 all outside, and 16 inside for the smaller runs.

HBjet
12-30-2002, 10:30 AM
For in walls, RBH (http://www.rbhsound.com/inwall/MC/mcseries.htm)
HBjet

78Eliminator
12-30-2002, 10:46 AM
Infomaniac:
POLK AUDIO !!! True dat! Also H/K, but Polk is the best. Onkyo is nice too.

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2002, 10:53 AM
mbrown2:
In talking with most folks who installed in-wall and outside/below grade speaker cable, the runs (if done with home-runs) are long...kind of like CAT 5 runs..so you want to run 14-16 gauge cable..I ran 14 all outside, and 16 inside for the smaller runs. Like SuperEbayDave pointed out, the only reason to go bigger is to avoid a voltage drop because of the resistance. Speaker output are high voltage and low amperage, so smaller wire is acceptable.
For example, if you have a 50ft run for a 100 watt (8 ohm) speaker, using 16 gauge speaker wire will net you a loss of .42 decibels (less than 1 decibel is inaudible).
The same run of 14 gauge will give a net loss of .27 decibels.
There are quite a few vendors out there who are trying to up the bar on patch cables and speaker wire. The reality is, if you hooked up your system with Radio Shack wire, or Monster Cable wire...I doubt you will hear the difference (unless you really wanted to...)

mbrown2
12-30-2002, 11:01 AM
Havasu Hangin':
mbrown2:
In talking with most folks who installed in-wall and outside/below grade speaker cable, the runs (if done with home-runs) are long...kind of like CAT 5 runs..so you want to run 14-16 gauge cable..I ran 14 all outside, and 16 inside for the smaller runs. Like SuperEbayDave pointed out, the only reason to go bigger is to avoid a voltage drop because of the resistance. Speaker output are high voltage and low amperage, so smaller wire is acceptable.
For example, if you have a 50ft run for a 100 watt (8 ohm) speaker, using 16 gauge speaker wire will net you a loss of .42 decibels (less than 1 decibel is inaudible).
The same run of 14 gauge will give a net loss of .27 decibels.
There are quite a few vendors out there who are trying to up the bar on patch cables and speaker wire. The reality is, if you hooked up your system with Radio Shack wire, or Monster Cable wire...I doubt you will hear the difference (unless you really wanted to...) I know what you are saying, and I am not installing this stuff in a sound room, so I doubt I would hear the diff...but you only do this stuff once, so it does not hurt to spend a little more and get the better and bigger and cable, so you can sleep better at night...Its like spending the money between on boat motor upgrades...its hard to see the difference, but you know its there and you feel better about it.

Havasu Hangin'
12-30-2002, 11:14 AM
mbrown2:
...its hard to see the difference, but you know its there and you feel better about it. Man, where were you when I was selling software...

Slick
12-30-2002, 11:27 AM
John,
nobody has asked the question... What are you looking to spend on speakers?

mbrown2
12-30-2002, 11:32 AM
Havasu Hangin':
mbrown2:
...its hard to see the difference, but you know its there and you feel better about it. Man, where were you when I was selling software... I am an IT guy, and I only let Procurement do negotiating for Company buys after I have folks make sure it meets our our needs....you could have probably sold me anything...I get to play good cop and make sure it meets our functional requirements, and then I let the procurement guys beat them up on price...

Hermosa
12-30-2002, 11:34 AM
For a NICE home installation, call Brent Wiseman at DSI Entertainment Systems 818-906-9940. I love their installations, very clean and nice, all the good stuff.

Tom Brown
12-30-2002, 11:50 AM
I think the JM Labs Cobalt 816 is one of the best values in the audio industry.
I wouldn't spend a ton of money on speaker cable. It's nice to have decent cable with nice flexible silicone jacket but as the cable size gets larger, the capacitance tends to increase. There is not a direct relationship between wire gauge and sound quality. Just keep the wire neat and short (don't coil up a bunch of extra). Don't waste your money on fancy cable unless you plan to impress chicks with your wire.

SUPERCREWJOHN
12-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Slick:
John,
nobody has asked the question... What are you looking to spend on speakers? I was hoping to get buy with about 2K. I already dropped 900 on the amp for the Denon-1082 with 7 channels. Part of the project will be to run a secondary set of speakers t my patio area, but that I will be doing later.
:o

ROZ
12-30-2002, 02:04 PM
John,
What do you want to know?
You can call me at 760-305-6147 direct, 760-305-6120 office (ask for Chris), or 877-525-8022 toll free. I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Do you have the AVR3802/03 or higher?
How big is the room?
New construction or remodel?
Ideas about speaker placement?
Ideas on electronics placement?
Towers and/or bookshelf speakers? (towers = furniture)
In-wall speakers?
Do you want to utilize your Multi-Zone? If so, where? Now?
Are you interested in a dedicated system for home theater, and a seperate whole house/property system?
Do you have a budget?
Home theater lines I stock: Denon, Yamaha, Niles, Elan, Mirage, Boston Acoustics, Monster Cable, B and K, Sonus Faber, Klipsch, Rel, Vienna Acoustics, Pioneer Elite, and Sony ES.
We have custom home installation available in your area....Pasadena... Currently, the closest store I have to you is in Chino.
There are many options available to you. If I happen to stock the gear that you want, I'd be glad to extend the "brodeal" to you. BUT there is no obligation if it's just info you're after. No worries.
Chris "ROZ"mus
If it matters, here's what I have going into my "Home Theater":
Denon AVR3803: http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/photos/AVR%203803%20Front.jpg
(6)Boston Acoustics in-wall/ceiling: http://www.tweeter.com/graphics/product_images/p801890p275w.jpg
Boston VR910 center Channel: http://www.tweeter.com/graphics/product_images/p801884p275w.jpg
Rel Subwoofer: http://www.tweeter.com/graphics/product_images/p802215p275w.jpg
Sony DVPNC680 300 disc dvd
Multi-zones:
All bedrooms and hallway (all stereo image speakers except master), dining area, kitchen, and patio and pool/spa area(1st to go in). All run at 1 gang keypad boxes to an 8 zone receiver.
:cool:

SUPERCREWJOHN
12-30-2002, 05:02 PM
ROZ:
John,
What do you want to know?
You can call me at 760-305-6147 direct, 760-305-6120 office (ask for Chris), or 877-525-8022 toll free. I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Do you have the AVR3802/03 or higher?
How big is the room?
New construction or remodel?
Ideas about speaker placement?
Ideas on electronics placement?
Towers and/or bookshelf speakers? (towers = furniture)
In-wall speakers?
Do you want to utilize your Multi-Zone? If so, where? Now?
Are you interested in a dedicated system for home theater, and a seperate whole house/property system?
Do you have a budget?
Home theater lines I stock: Denon, Yamaha, Niles, Elan, Mirage, Boston Acoustics, Monster Cable, B and K, Sonus Faber, Klipsch, Rel, Vienna Acoustics, Pioneer Elite, and Sony ES.
We have custom home installation available in your area....Pasadena... Currently, the closest store I have to you is in Chino.
There are many options available to you. If I happen to stock the gear that you want, I'd be glad to extend the "brodeal" to you. BUT there is no obligation if it's just info you're after. No worries.
Chris "ROZ"mus
If it matters, here's what I have going into my "Home Theater":
Denon AVR3803: http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/photos/AVR%203803%20Front.jpg
(6)Boston Acoustics in-wall/ceiling: http://www.tweeter.com/graphics/product_images/p801890p275w.jpg
Boston VR910 center Channel: http://www.tweeter.com/graphics/product_images/p801884p275w.jpg
Rel Subwoofer: http://www.tweeter.com/graphics/product_images/p802215p275w.jpg
Sony DVPNC680 300 disc dvd
Multi-zones:
All bedrooms and hallway (all stereo image speakers except master), dining area, kitchen, and patio and pool/spa area(1st to go in). All run at 1 gang keypad boxes to an 8 zone receiver.
:cool: Hi Roz,
Thanks for the response. I will give you a call tommorow or maybe Friday. I guess you would consider this project a remodel. What I am trying to accomplish is to have a decent sounding home Theater /that can also play some tunes with limited floor space( I had to give up some large Infinity Kappa towers because i just do not have the Floor space in my new place, and the Theater area is in a Living room. I do have vaulted 20 ft ceilings that do provide some chalanges as far as the sounds. eek!

waterboy
12-30-2002, 05:51 PM
Hey Roz...this is Waterboy's wife, and we are also looking into a home entertainment system.
We went to tweeters in Chino on Sunday and we really liked the 50" samsung Dpl (i think thats what it was called. But we haven't decided on a stereo system yet. It's going in the family room
but i want speakers throughout the house and back patio. What would be a good receiver and speakers
that could provide the sound I'm looking for(LOUD)
My husband or I will call you this week also to get some info. We are ready now to make a purchase. We also want a DVD/CD changer/player.
Oh...We are looking to spend around 6k.
Thanks and you'll hear from us soon.
I'm Niki and my husband is Shannon.
Thanks

hot_diggity_dog
12-30-2002, 06:05 PM
Roz,
You Da Man!!! :cool: :cool:
The 760 is going to swamp you bro! argue
I'm in need of the whole enchilada too! :D
Pioneer Plasma 43 or 50
with all the trimmings, HD to full surround system. :confused:
Good thing is the budget is large and I want to do it right the 1st time. :D
Going to wait till 03 as the prices will drop. wink
What store are you at?
HDD
:cool:

CA Stu
12-30-2002, 07:28 PM
Slick:
This is what I have and it rocks for movies and music. In my opinion it's in the intermediate range for quality. You could probably pick the whole package up for $1,600-$2,000.
Roz can hook you up on it. I have that exact system. Converted my garage, ran cables through the walls, have the rear channels mounted over the wire box so there is nothing but a speaker on the wall. Looks clean, sounds great. I would rate it in the "tits" for sound and quality. Of course, I'm a poor boy (wife and 2 kids, one on the way) so I probably don't know better...
Oh yeah, I paid about $1100 for the 2 RF3's, 2X surround, and the one center channel. I bought a Cerwin-Vega (front firing) for my sub separately. Surf the web. A great site is http://www.audioreview.com
Good Luck
CA Stu

beyondhelpin
12-30-2002, 08:13 PM
I have the same reciever. Pretty warm sounding reciever. With the multizone the kids can watch a movie in Dolby Pro Logic and you can listen to stereo in another room. Dolby Digital does not work when playing stereo in second zone. Do your self a favor and listen to some Paradigns. Bostons are good but the Paradigns rock. If you are going in wall on the speakers also check out Niles.
PS Roz I though you were going get me that new 60" Plazma for Christmas. Not worried, it is probally hung up in shipping somewhere. Thanks Roz you are still the best!
[ December 30, 2002, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: beyondhelpin ]

Freak
12-31-2002, 04:35 AM
My .02 - for speakers these guys http://www.definitivetech.com/
for good midrange equipment - Pioneer Elite.

Freak
12-31-2002, 04:42 AM
For High end equipment - http://www.adcom.com/
I went the Pioneer Elite route for all equipment.
720 HD TV
DVD
Reciever and Amp
The stuff is matched so it really works well together.

VillainDave
12-31-2002, 07:24 AM
I would suggest Polk Audio I've spent hours and days returning other brands like Boston,klipsch,Infinity,JBL and Bose(which was a joke)And found that the Polks had it all the highs,mids and lows Lovin the water

ROZ
12-31-2002, 04:02 PM
Freak:
My .02 - for speakers these guys http://www.definitivetech.com/
for good midrange equipment - Pioneer Elite. FYI, If you like Def Tech's, why not get Mirage. Afterall, Def Tech "SPLASHED" them.
I guess one could call Pioneer Elite Audio "mid-range" gear if you're comparing it to everything that is available....cost not being an issue...
Personally I'm not a big Pioneer Elite Audio fan(I don't like the layout), but I'd consider the VSX47TX and up in the upoper midrange catagory.

ROZ
12-31-2002, 04:22 PM
RiverDave:
I run all Polk Audio stuff, but Bostons are right on Par with them.
www.sonance.com (http://www.sonance.com)
makes some pretty bad ass stuff for in wall speakers. :)
RD Actually, the only company I can compare how good the higher end Niles sound is to compare them to Sonance.
My ear likes the VRI Boston Inwalls though.....BUT that's me.
Remember, the best sounding speaker is the brand than you like. Everyone's ideal sound is different.
I can't afford the brand I like, thankfully the MFG doesn't make an inwall, or else I'd be in trouble....lol I know the sound I'm looking for. As does everyone. The closest I can get to that sound in an in-wall is the speaker, is the model I will buy.

ROZ
12-31-2002, 04:35 PM
Freak:
For High end equipment - http://www.adcom.com/
I went the Pioneer Elite route for all equipment.
720 HD TV
DVD
Reciever and Amp
The stuff is matched so it really works well together. That TV is the bomb! IMHO, there are only 2 top end rear projection bigscreens out there to buy, the Pioneer Pro HD's or a Mitsubishi Diamond.
Someone once asked me a pecking order on what Types of TV's generally produce the best picture.
IMHO, in decending order...
Direct View (DIGITAL TUBE)
Rear projection DLP
Rear projection
LCD (now go up to 30 in.)
Plasma
DLP LCD front projector
LCD front projector
Generally, you sacrafice when you go big.

HP350SC
12-31-2002, 07:14 PM
Supercrewjohn- If you want some crazy ass clean bass,look into velodyne subwoofers.I just bought an HGS-15 for $1625 and it is the only sub I auditioned that keeps up with my Infinity RS-4.5 front channel speakers. The Infinities are circa 1980,but with dual 12" woofers,(4)EMIM midrange and (4) EMIT tweeters each,they kick f...ing ass!

spectras only
12-31-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ROZ: once asked me a pecking order on what Types of TV's generally produce the best picture. Roz ,I've bought my 53" Toshiba progressive scan HDTV almost three years ago hooked up with a progressive scan DVD player [also toshiba.|There wasn't another projection tv anywhere with the same picture quality that offered no horizontal lines showing, like sony and the rest[toshiba came out first with progressive scan].Now most higher end tv's have this feature.I looked at all the plasma tv's and none of them even come close yet.They all look pixelated to me.I think there's a little more time needed for improvement there.The small plasma screens look ok .The only beef I have with toshiba is the substrate that holds the circuit boards in place [flimsy plastic versa pioneer's metal frame].
DLP LCD front projector
LCD front projector
Generally, you sacrafice when you go big. [/QB]

locogringo
01-01-2003, 11:04 PM
while all those systems are nice, nothing, except for certain $12,000 and up speakers can match the quality, ambience, vocality and tone of the BOSE system. The digital one not the AM5 or 7. The one that corresponds with the receiver.
Pure sonic bliss.
Here's why I say this. A friend installs high end equipment into homes for the "Ultra-rich" who live in their multi-million dollar homes. He says they also frownded on the BOSE system for years until a customer insisted on it. Ever since then, they have never installed another system besides BOSE. I've heard the difference and I'm amazed. I still don't have BOSE's though argue . Maybe some day :D

jenndon
01-01-2003, 11:48 PM
Where do you live? I've been doing custom systems for over 15 years... Let me know if I can help. I'm in Riverside
Donald :D

BigBoyToys
01-02-2003, 04:02 AM
Seems like my job has been consisting mostly of installing plasma TV's and home theater systems lately so let's see if I can throw in my .02
Other than what I have in my home (Phillips system), I install the BOSE stuff daily. The BOSE Lifestyle 35 really kicks some serious tones out, and actually builds a file to write to the NVRAM in the receiver to optimize the sound. UNBELIEVEABLE! The BOSE Lifestyle 35 is the way to go if ya want to drop $3000.00 into a system that is.

The Duke
01-02-2003, 09:38 AM
locogringo:
while all those systems are nice, nothing, except for certain $12,000 and up speakers can match the quality. This is a joke, right? The LS35 does sound good for the money, but it definitely doesn't re-align the planets.
locogringo:
Here's why I say this. A friend installs high end equipment into homes for the "Ultra-rich" who live in their multi-million dollar homes. He says they also frownded on the BOSE system for years until a customer insisted on it. Ever since then, they have never installed another system besides BOSE. I've heard the difference and I'm amazed. I still don't have BOSE's though argue . Maybe some day :D Truth is that the "Ultra-Rich" don't really care about the stuff. If my assistant likes it, get it. Things like imported German Blonde Birch to cover 30% of the floors in their 18,000 square foot house are usually more important. Eventhough Home Automation is of concern, the actual components are almost always an afterthought, and they (the wives eek! ) don't want to spend the money for something that their husbands would like....

Slick
01-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Bose sound great for movies and medium volume music. I will give it that. If you want to really crank the tunes, go elsewhere. There is NO WAY a Bose 35 can kick you in the back like my one measely $350 12" sub.

locogringo
01-02-2003, 10:10 PM
The Duke
[/qb]Truth is that the "Ultra-Rich" don't really care about the stuff. If my assistant likes it, get it. Things like imported German Blonde Birch to cover 30% of the floors in their 18,000 square foot house are usually more important. Eventhough Home Automation is of concern, the actual components are almost always an afterthought, and they (the wives eek! ) don't want to spend the money for something that their husbands would like.... [/QB][/QUOTE]
I'll give you that.