PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood Cove

Waldo
05-30-2003, 12:55 PM
We are planning a family trip to Laughlin in July. We have spent many years launching at Katherine's...and it is getting more and more crowded as everyone knows. My family (besides my wife, daughter and I) ALWAYS loves to go to that crappy cove just to the left after exiting the marina (God knows why, it's the most crowded and murky of them all).
I have never been to Cottonwood Cove but it sounds very nice. We've got about 18 poeple going with three boats. If it is worth it, I am going to try and talk them all into launching from Cottonwood. How far is the drive from Laughlin? Is it worth the drive to day camp in a cove Saturday and then do it again on Sunday?
Thanks Ya'll :)

BowTie Rick
05-30-2003, 01:43 PM
Its my favorite place on the river for all the reasons you give. It is not crowded at all. You can boat on the warm lake waters or take a drive upstream through the canyon and even all the way up to Boulder Dam. Be careful and go slow if you go that far. Its narrow with a lot of rocks. If you are brave, take a dive into the water up there. It will shrink your nads down to the size of peas eek! The draw backs are the lack of places to stay. It is next to impossible to get a place there so you either have to camp or stay in Searchlight. After driving forever to get to Laughlin, I'd rather not drive any further so I just stay at Cottonwood and camp but to each his own.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-30-2003, 02:46 PM
On a weekend I'd say it's worth it.

77charger
05-30-2003, 04:00 PM
I have been there twice once in oct it was perfect weather and crowd wise also(we camped there)Then we went in june i'll passs on the camping at that time of the year(must have still been 100+ at night) besides that it was nice.

got river?
05-30-2003, 08:34 PM
What's up B! Cottonwood Cove is great, but I don't think you want to drive up from Laughlin each day. Why not stay at the Hotel/Motel there? Do you want the nightlife of Laughlin? There are some fantastic coves and beaches up the lake from Katherine's (on both sides) if you end up staying in Laughlin.
Let me know what you decide.
Josh

Rexone
05-30-2003, 08:39 PM
The upper part of Lake Mojave is one of the nicest and sceanic places you'll find like Bowtie Rick said. I think the hotel at Cottonwood is sold out way in advance though so it's probably driving or camping, neither of which are a bad choice IMO for a good day of boating without the crowds of Kathrines.

B-rad502
05-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Just did that a few weeks ago. Travelled back and forth from Laughlin 2 days in a row. Not a bad drive, only an hour, towing at 65 mph. Gotta love having the nightlife concept back in Laughlin in the evenings! I'll probably do that next time to Laughlin also, as we can't stand the crowds at Katherine's during the summer argue North of Cottonwodd is beautiful and lots of beaches on the way up. We went all the way to the log boom in front of the dam and the most shallow spot we passed over was 13 feet. It was plenty deep, just keep your eyes on the water. Here's a pic:
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-6-86906-11a.jpg

Trailer Park Casanova
05-31-2003, 02:35 PM
Electrician friend (action figure) that works the dam told me of a suicide down the face of the dam last month.
The mid 20's girl thought she was jumping to her death,, got cheeze grated down the side instead.

Mr.Havasu
05-31-2003, 02:44 PM
best day in my life was going to the dam and floating back for a couple of hours listing to tunes and watching the canyon walls go by.
There is also a hot water springs up there just past willow, stop at the gas dock and ask for directions. it's right near a mile marker so it is easy to find if you know its there.
Takes about an hour to drive there from laughlin, the last time I launched at Katherines on a week end it took 2 hours in a launch line to launch and 2 hours to retrieve. I'll never do that again.
It's well worth the ride to drive to cottonwood,(But don't tell anyone, I don't want that getting crowded too.) wink

Essex502
06-01-2003, 03:48 PM
Hell, on a busy weekend at Katherine Landing you might wait an hour to get your boat out of the water anyway. Make the drive! We made the drive from Havasu for a gathering a month ago and was not bad at all. 2 hours from Havasu - and as B-Rad said an hour from Laughlin.

kevnmcd
06-01-2003, 07:34 PM
BowTie Rick:
You can boat on the warm lake waters or take a drive upstream through the canyon and even all the way up to Boulder Dam. Sorry Rick...not to correct you but it is Hoover Dam. :D

mtndewdrops
06-01-2003, 08:00 PM
If you launch early at Katherine's Landing (Before 7:30a.m.)you can get on the lake within 30 minutes. We usually get off the lake around 4:00p.m. and the launch line isn't too bad. It's those peak periods that get you. If you don't mind a dirt road you can go to telephone cove which is much less traveled.
[ June 01, 2003, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: mtndewdrops ]

cola
06-01-2003, 08:09 PM
dewdrops ck link @ pasties to legallyexposed under monikers. a pic of the back of your boat

beer hunter
06-01-2003, 08:43 PM
kevnmcd:
BowTie Rick:
You can boat on the warm lake waters or take a drive upstream through the canyon and even all the way up to Boulder Dam. Sorry Rick...not to correct you but it is Hoover Dam. :D Boulder/Hoover, it's been named both argue sleeping Hey Kev, that might be an option for the boys weekend? See ya :)

woodster
06-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Im heading to Lake Mojave over 4th of july weekend..We rented a houseboat and its my 1st time as well.. Any suggestions on sites to see?And are there any good coves to wakeboard in? Thanks

SoCalOffshore
06-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Did you rent from Katherines Landing?

Trailer Park Casanova
06-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Some of the coves have submerged rocks just inches from the surface so I suggest wakeboarding on the main lake.
We're a wakeboarding family and love Mojave.
Sometimes one must watch for sandbars as well, depending on lake level,, and your location.
Saw a Bassboat hit a sandbar south of Cottonwood at 50+ MPH and it wasn't pretty.

Waldo
06-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the replies! I don't mind the drive because from the sound of it, it would be worth my while. It's just talking the family into doing it. They probably won't get to the launch ramp until 9 or 10 am which will be crazy.
What up GotRiv? Can't wait for River's Lodge. :D
The question about good wakeboarding in coves on Mojave.......don't do it. I wrecked a complete out drive many years back while waterskiing somebody in a cove. Thank god for insurance. Damage was $2600 bucks.....and it was my parents boat (I was 17). Plus, 4th weekend = tons of boats = not-so-good water. I would recommend traveling north many, many miles in the houseboat and then find some good water in the morning/evening hours.

BADBLOWN572
06-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Cottonwood Cove is my favorite place to go hands down. If you can not get a place to stay it is worth driving the hour from Laughlin to Cottonwood simply to avoid the mess at Katherines. There is really no crowd. I think that the longest that I have ever had to wait at the launch ramp was approx. 5-10 minutes. The launch ramp is about 10 spaces wide and is perfect. Lots of traction and just at the right angle. All of the people who work up there are really nice and helpful. By water it is about 30 minutes down to Katherines (if water is good). A friend of ours has a trailer at Cottonwood and usually I spend approx 40 days a year there. I love that place and highly recommend going there!

mtndewdrops
06-02-2003, 09:11 PM
cola:
dewdrops ck link @ pasties to legallyexposed under monikers. a pic of the back of your boat I didn't find it...was that on leagallyexposed.com? :confused:
Welcome to the Board Cola! :D :D :D When is your next trip?

Metal_King
06-03-2003, 11:52 AM
BADBLOWN572
[QB] Cottonwood Cove is my favorite place to go hands down.Cottonwood is, IMHO, the best place to go on the Colorado River stretch. If you go north heading towards Hoover, you will not find a prettier place. Once you get to the no ski area about 6-7 miles south of Willow Beach, it becomes an area to take pictures. It's absolutely beautiful. I love jumping in that water, and getting out RIGHT AWAY!
My best friend sent out X-Mas cards of a picture of his family just north of Willow in my boat. just a Californians way of saying Happy Holidays.

summerlove
06-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Went to Cottonwood for the first time over Memorial W/E. Simply put, the most enjoyable boating trip I've(we've) had in a long time. Stayed at the motel, great rooms, nice size, very good A/C, and a very nice overall setting. I have a number of pics, but don't know how to post. I'll email tham and you can post for me if interested. Send me the address. Also, the trip to Hoover Dam was incredible! Just a "Perfect 10" weekend. We weren't certain what to expect, but we'll definitely be back...Rick :)

Miss BK
06-03-2003, 12:27 PM
I grew up on Lake Mohave (spelled with an "H" not a "J") and - and while everyone was raving about Parker and Havasu in the 70's and 80's, the rest of us remained silent about our little spot of paradise -- Lake Mohave. We desperately wanted it to ourselves. wink
Last October, we rented a Houseboat for 3 days and stayed in the coves across from Cottonwood Cove. We saw only THREE BOATS the entire time we were there. It was awesome. :D
But if you rent a houseboat -- here's a bit of advice: Be SURE you pull up in a cove that is DEEP. If you dont, the water level will drop overnight and the back of the houseboat will be driven into the bottom of the lake: You will be STUCK and there's no way to get it off. Calling for help is VERY expensive, so don't park it in shallow coves.
Also -- There are several hot springs as you get toward the dam. Really cool places to camp. But there's a warning -- Some of these hot springs have that brain-zapping amoeba living in them, so don't get your face wet! (You will see the warning signs when you get there).
I can't forget to tell you about the cormorants (big herron-like water birds) and the herds of big horn sheep that walk around the rock faces.
Between Hoover Dam and Willow Beach (where you can get gas and food) you will find Emerald Cave and some historical landmarks from early river exploration.
Beware - there are some very shallow areas at the top of the canyon. Very rocky too.
http://www.geocities.com/aqua_crone/h20color4.jpg
It's an absolute dreadful place. You really shouldn't go. wink :::wink:::
BK
[ June 03, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Miss BK ]

Miss BK
06-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Anybody know why my pics aren't showing up? I've got quite a few to share.....??

Miss BK
06-03-2003, 12:34 PM
Trying again...
http://http://www.geocities.com/aqua_crone/fallsept.jpg
Yes, that water is HOT!
Really. Who'd want a hot shower in the middle of summer. wink

Metal_King
06-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Miss BK,
The picture shows up on my computer.