PDA

View Full Version : What about 96 Ultra

Back To Havasu
09-29-2002, 03:13 PM
I am considering buying a 96 Ultra 21 XT with an EFI 350/alpha 1. I know Ultra has gone through some changes in ownership and staff. Are there any years of Ultra boats to be avoided, and any comments on this boat?

sandblasted
09-29-2002, 07:27 PM
Back To Havasu:
I am considering buying a 96 Ultra 21 XT with an EFI 350/alpha 1. I know Ultra has gone through some changes in ownership and staff. Are there any years of Ultra boats to be avoided, and any comments on this boat?I have a 96 Ultra 21'XT with a jet drive....It has the same bottom hull as the 21' LX, it rides very nice in the chop...Big waves will affect it but they affect most low profile 21's..
Here are the pros and cons of my boat after a good summer of use..
Pro's:
turn key operation, 454 BBC with dominator jet, runs great with over 200 hours on it..
large open bow sits 4 comfortably
large engine hatch area, carry all my chairs, rafts, towables (deflated) etc in there
large storage under the passenger deck, we carry a cooler, boat bag (towels, clothes sunscreen) and cd case under there...
very smooth ride unless it gets real choppy..even then it rides well, just a little rough.
Con's: The only real con I had was the space between the bucket seats and the rear bench seat. I unscrewed the buckets and moved both forward about 3-4 inches...Now my rear passengers have some decent legroom and the wife and I are still comfortable.
another con is the wiring under the dash..it works fine but looks a little ugly, seems like it could have been installed a little cleaner..other than that I have no complaints about my boat..

HavasuDreamin'
09-30-2002, 06:30 AM
Send Froggystyle a private message. He knows the Ultra's backwards and forwards. I believe he worked for them for a while.

jet496
09-30-2002, 12:34 PM
I had a '96 Ultra LX with the 454 (390 hp) jet drive. Loved it. Just traded it in for a 2001 Stealth. I go boating regular with the guy that now has my '96 LX. He loves it. Very well made boat. If made in El Cajon, it was built by John West & Company, so quality is definetly there.
I took the 21' LX to Meade, Powell, Mohave, Havasu, river, etc. Handles big water surprisingly well as long as you know what you're doing (keep front end pointed up in bad storms or better yet hide in a cove & drink beer until the storm passes).
Great boat!

boatnam2
09-30-2002, 12:44 PM
i had a 93 built by jerry,carter read of warlock,and the owner of cobra jeff.6 years never had a problem boat is still running seen it in parker talked to the new owner still no problems and the new owner loves it

HavasuDreamin'
10-01-2002, 07:09 AM
Back to the top. Anyone know who owned Ultra in 1996? Was it John West?