PDA

View Full Version : Boat Recalls

Boatcop
06-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Are you thinking of buying a new or used boat?
How does the company fare in terms of defects and recalls?
Wondering if your boat has a defect?
When you buy a new boat, the dealer takes your name and address in case of a recall. If you move and don't let the dealer or manufacturer know, they'll have no way to contact you if a defect is found.
Also if you buy the boat used, the seller "should" let the manufacturer/dealer know who the new owner is. But in reality, how many people do this? If you get a recall notice on your boat or car that you don't own anymore, do you call the buyer right away and let them know, or do you just throw it away like most people?
If you're curious to see the track record of your boat manufacturer (Engines and drives included), or just want to see if your boat has an uncorrected recall, there's a site you can go to and check out.
Just type in the Manufacturer's name, or better yet the Manufacturer Identification Code (The first 3 letters of your Hull ID Number) and you can see any recalls or defects discovered by the Coast Guard.
USCG Recall Data Base (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/recalls_database.htm)
Remember that just because a boat has a recall or defect, doesn't mean it's junk. But how the manufacturer handles the recall is all telling.
Happy Hunting. :D
[ June 03, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

mtndewdrops
06-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Thanks Boatcop,
I really appreciate your information... :D :D
It seems to me that sometimes your job must really suck when you are trying to help people that just do not appreciate it...
I sure do!!!

RiverToysJas
06-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks BC! No recalls for Lavey Craft! Found some under a few of the other So Cal builders though.
RTJas :D

Essex502
06-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Great site Alan!

eliminatedsprinter
06-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks Boatcop.
The only boat from Eliminator that the search brought up was the 19 ft Daytona for a floatation problem with 11 of them.
My v hulled sprint wasn't mentioned.
Thanks for the piece of mind.